Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Do You Even Own The Game?"

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    @DevilH4 and Cinebar

Then again you have people like me who watched pre-release game play and thought....well that's not how I play. How will this game play for me? One video that comes to mind was two of the devs playing. I remember thinking that I rarely send my Sims to the gym and I know I wouldn't send my Sims to the park to stand around or do pushups. I was thinking that it was two guys doing guy stuff and it just didn't fit me. Little did I know that there really wasn't a lot more to the game.

And yes, I have tried many games in my life even though someone else was saying how horrible it was for them. I look for what I like and don't like. But may have tried a trial just to see if they were correct...lol. But I'm not saying you are in wrong in buying it because you needed to find out for yourself, that is fine. I'm saying those who say they don't like it, shouldn't have to try it, they can form those opinions quite logically by all the information available theses days. They already know why they wouldn't so no need to try or buy. You wasn't sure, and so you are perfectly right to try it or buy it to find out.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @DevilH4 and Cinebar

Then again you have people like me who watched pre-release game play and thought....well that's not how I play. How will this game play for me? One video that comes to mind was two of the devs playing. I remember thinking that I rarely send my Sims to the gym and I know I wouldn't send my Sims to the park to stand around or do pushups. I was thinking that it was two guys doing guy stuff and it just didn't fit me. Little did I know that there really wasn't a lot more to the game.

And yes, I have tried many games in my life even though someone else was saying how horrible it was for them. I look for what I like and don't like. But may have tried a trial just to see if they were correct...lol. But I'm not saying you are in wrong in buying it because you needed to find out for yourself, that is fine. I'm saying those who say they don't like it, shouldn't have to try it, they can form those opinions quite logically by all the information available theses days. They already know why they wouldn't so no need to try or buy. You wasn't sure, and so you are perfectly right to try it or buy it to find out.

To tell the truth my game play is sometimes more like LGR and love putting my Sims in weird situations. I don't take the game seriously at all. To me it's supposed to be fun, have different life states and sometimes killing them off if I just don't like them. One of my favorite parts of Ambitions was creating an evil scientist who went around town blowing things up. Now is that off the wall game play for someone my age or what? :D

Unfortunately LGR didn't get to review it until after release.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    In all actuality, none of us who forked over the $60.00+ for this game "owns" it. We're simply allowed to play it. Just sayin'.

In a way we kind of do, WE fund them, our money allows them to continue the series, with out us they can't do the sims.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @DevilH4 and Cinebar

To tell the truth my game play is sometimes more like LGR and love putting my Sims in weird situations. I don't take the game seriously at all. To me it's supposed to be fun, have different life states and sometimes killing them off if I just don't like them. One of my favorite parts of Ambitions was creating an evil scientist who went around town blowing things up. Now is that off the wall game play for someone my age or what? :D

Unfortunately LGR didn't get to review it until after release.

>:) No, that's a lot of fun!!! I loved creating a mom in the TS2 (because toddlers are so cute and so mean lol and so messy) with six toddlers and put them on a vacant lot. Especially, after the Seasons EP. Get her pregnant again, since those Sims need comfort..and no beds..ah haha and let the good times roll. :p If she survived I pretended to give her loans and get her some help but that didn't happen too often. She usually had several break downs and the toddlers were the best part of it. Though I do play regular households often and marrying them off to other families in my game which I plan their weddings long before they are born. :#
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    [quote="sparkfairy1;13000177"][quote="Sc3niX;13000166"][quote="EowynCarter;13000156"]> @sparkfairy1 said:

> EowynCarter wrote: »

>

> So, the updates in October , November and the coming one where what ?

> They ARE working on stuff, maybe not as fast as we would like, but they are. And not just because we're complaining.

>

>

>

>

> But they told us they were working on them, months in advance. There lies the difference.

And then what ? Stop working and loose the potential money from extensions ? Waste all the work on base game ?[/quote]

If they did the base game properly to begin with they wouldn't have been in this position in the first place. [/quote]

Exactly. Don't penalise your customers because you made mistakes.[/quote]
    What would have happened if they had delayed
    the game to get it right?
    Some more complaints..

Welcome to real life. Mess happens, even for big companies.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    No, it is different this time. People are walking away.

• Options
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    I find myself asking "why did you buy it" rather than "do you even own it" because I have seen some posters imply that they were duped into buying the game despite all the information out there about what it did not include at launch.

The reason this troubles me is because if you're screaming 'not good enough' at a cooperation but still handing over your hard earned dollars, it's sending mixed messages. I have to commend those of you who withhold their money waiting for a better product. I think that goes a much longer way than any feedback on the forums does. Now, that's not to say you shouldn't leave any, of course you should.

Why did I buy it? Seriously? Because I wanted to try it myself.

I don't see myself telling a corporation that it's not good enough, I see myself posting opinions of the game in the hopes that the devs will take notice. I don't think the CEO of EA really cares if I like it or not.....however I do think some of the devs do have an emotional investment in the game.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I find myself asking "why did you buy it" rather than "do you even own it" because I have seen some posters imply that they were duped into buying the game despite all the information out there about what it did not include at launch.

The reason this troubles me is because if you're screaming 'not good enough' at a cooperation but still handing over your hard earned dollars, it's sending mixed messages. I have to commend those of you who withhold their money waiting for a better product. I think that goes a much longer way than any feedback on the forums does. Now, that's not to say you shouldn't leave any, of course you should.

I don't see myself telling a corporation that it's not good enough, I see myself posting opinions of the game in the hopes that the devs will take notice. I don't think the CEO of EA really cares if I like it or not.....however I do think some of the devs do have an emotional investment in the game.

Yup, the CEO of EA and the other big wigs are all like "We got your money, we got your money!" The devs want us to actually like the game they worked hard on. It's about job satisfaction for them.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

I agree. It's like any creative endeavor. Like when we paint, or build something. It's a little piece of "us" that goes in to it. Not everyone may like it, but it's a form of expression nonetheless.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Posts: 4,220 Member
    DevilH4 wrote: »
    A long time ago, yes, you needed to purchase a game or play a demo to see if it was good or not, but nowadays, we have Youtube, we have more HONEST reviewers, we got Twitch. All these things help a consumer in determining whether a game is worth their money.

I agree.

I does not make you capable enough of giving feedback and the actual game, though.

• Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited November 2014
    That is not true for me either, though. I have played this game for 14+ years. I have used the sims as both a creative tool and played the game for a long time. I do not regret buying the game. But that doesn't mean I am going to like all the changes. Some of them were unknown.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    A long time ago, yes, you needed to purchase a game or play a demo to see if it was good or not, but nowadays, we have Youtube, we have more HONEST reviewers, we got Twitch. All these things help a consumer in determining whether a game is worth their money.

I agree.

I does not make you capable enough of giving feedback and the actual game, though.

So, basically, what you're saying is that people who make the decision not to buy the game based purely on their research are incapable of coming on here and giving any meaningful feedback on the game? At least, that's the way I read it, so maybe you could clarify your statement, because as it stands, it's ambiguous and could be interpreted in ways that you didn't mean.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    DevilH4DevilH4 Posts: 467 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »

I agree.

So, basically, what you're saying is that people who make the decision not to buy the game based purely on their research are incapable of coming on here and giving any meaningful feedback on the game? At least, that's the way I read it, so maybe you could clarify your statement, because as it stands, it's ambiguous and could be interpreted in ways that you didn't mean.

What Derek said, sounded pretty insulting to me...
  • Options
    EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    [quote="Katlyn2525;13000312"]No, it is different this time. People are walking away.

[/quote]
    But what can they do? Lines of codes don't auto magically generate themselves.

Maybe communication. I wonder what's coming after the December patch.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited November 2014

(euro's, hard earned euro's ;))
    They have the money I spent on the basegame but that was only the beginning.
    I'm not going to buy the first EP, that much is certain. I'm going to see what others think of it and then I decide.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I'm not going to buy the first EP, that much is certain. I'm going to see what others think of it and then I decide.

Yep....I always.....and I mean always had EPs on pre-order. That time has passed.

• Options

Yep....I always.....and I mean always had EPs on pre-order. That time has passed.
    Me too. Even when I wasn't all that enthusiastic (ITF).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I take that back....I didn't pre-order Generations. I just didn't see it adding a lot to the game....but ....my husband was all pleased with himself when he walked in the house...EP in hand. "I saw a new one that you didn't have." I didn't have the heart to tell him.............

• Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    I never preorder games; I always watch reviews first. The supernatural/sci-fi side of The Sims doesn't interest me at all, I only purchased Supernatural for a couple of items.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options

I take that back....I didn't pre-order Generations. I just didn't see it adding a lot to the game....but ....my husband was all pleased with himself when he walked in the house...EP in hand. "I saw a new one that you didn't have." I didn't have the heart to tell him.............
    LOL (that's so sweet btw, that he knew that!)
    (I must add by the way I ended up liking ITF)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    If I'm ever in a position to install my Sims 3 games on my computer again, the two EP's I'll probably leave out are Supernatural and Into the Future.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    If I'm ever in a position to install my Sims 3 games on my computer again, the two EP's I'll probably leave out are Supernatural and Into the Future.
    And you got liked for that too :(
    :p
    (I love Supernatural and ITF is alright)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member

I thought ITF was so silly to the point where I didn't even purchase it. Terrible concept, content and execution.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    bobyo2001 wrote: »

I thought ITF was so silly to the point where I didn't even purchase it. Terrible concept, content and execution.

I bought it for the dystopian future......what a disappointment. All I have installed are WA,Amb and Supe.

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited November 2014
    And you got liked for that too :(
    :p
    (I love Supernatural and ITF is alright)

I thought Supernatural was pretty good too.

But ITF was too much like WA for my liking. I did really like the plumbot and that virtual pet thing that followed our Sims around though.