Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Do You Even Own The Game?"

So I said I wouldn't post on here that much anymore, but this needs to be said. The question of "Do you even own the game?" as a way to shoot down people who are against the Sims 4 is a very weak and rude way of trying to win an arguement with someone who against Sims

A long time ago, yes, you needed to purchase a game or play a demo to see if it was good or not, but nowadays, we have Youtube, we have more HONEST reviewers, we got Twitch. All these things help a consumer in determining whether a game is worth their money. In today's economy, people don't want to purchase a game on the CHANCE that they MIGHT like it. People want confirmation and enough knowledge to know whether a game is worth the cash. Questioning whether someone purchased the game or not to validate their opinion on it, is just plain inconsiderate and desperate to try and make your side of the argument more dominant. If someone was judging the game came off troll-like obviously not knowing a single thing about the game, then yes, that question may be appropriate, but don't use it on someone who put in the time to research the game that they were considering purchasing -_-

Comments

• kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    DevilH4 wrote: »
    So I said I wouldn't post on here that much anymore, but this needs to be said. The question of "Do you even own the game?" as a way to shoot down people who are against the Sims 4 is a very weak and rude way of trying to win an arguement with someone who against Sims

A long time ago, yes, you needed to purchase a game or play a demo to see if it was good or not, but nowadays, we have Youtube, we have more HONEST reviewers, we got Twitch. All these things help a consumer in determining whether a game is worth their money. In today's economy, people don't want to purchase a game on the CHANCE that they MIGHT like it. People want confirmation and enough knowledge to know whether a game is worth the cash. Questioning whether someone purchased the game or not to validate their opinion on it, is just plain inconsiderate and desperate to try and make your side of the argument more dominant. If someone was judging the game came off troll-like obviously not knowing a single thing about the game, then yes, that question may be appropriate, but don't use it on someone who put in the time to research the game that they were considering purchasing -_-

Interesting. I asked a player if they played the game yet simply as a question because I knew that they hadn't previously. As time went by and they were still posting, it was just a simply question. I was actually curious and it wasn't to prove a point. Yet they jumped down my throat. Is this not yet another flame bait thread?
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • DevilH4DevilH4 Posts: 467 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    DevilH4 wrote: »

Interesting. I asked a player if they played the game yet simply as a question because I knew that they hadn't previously. As time went by and they were still posting, it was just a simply question. I was actually curious and it wasn't to prove a point. Yet they jumped down my throat. Is this not yet another flame bait thread?

You calling this a flame bait thread is a way to make me look bad, when really, I'm pointing out something that happens on this forum a lot. This is pointed at the people who do ask this question as a way to prove a point and there ARE people who do this.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I will answer you - it's YES I do own the game and do play it. I have not gone back to Sims 3 or 2. I may go back to Sims 2 for Christmas as it has the Holiday pack - and I can't decorate my real house - so i can have fun decorating and celebrating with the Sims 2 Sims. But I do plan on coming back.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    Do i own The Sims 4, yea i do. I don't post pictures about my gameplay because i'm a silly person who doesn't know were to actually place such things.

But i do kinda see your point there, it also kinda also stems with the review scores posted on places like Amazon, where people blindly rate games a low score just because something didn't go their way.
  • DevilH4DevilH4 Posts: 467 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

Hi :)

If you KNEW they didn't play it and yet you say you were curious... what were you curious about? You already knew the answer" so it was for an other reason but to prove a point or dismiss a comment/opinion did you ask the question? :lol:

I don't mind saying I haven't bought it and as time goes on there is less desire in me for buying it. I still have an opinion and I don't believe I need to play it to have an informed opinion. So...

No disrespect but I still haven't bought it. :mrgreen:

This!
    amcvholkwbcguuxpflo9.gif

If you KNEW they didn't play it and yet you say you were curious... what were you curious about? You already knew the answer" so it was for an other reason but to prove a point or dismiss a comment/opinion did you ask the question? :lol:

I don't mind saying I haven't bought it and as time goes on there is less desire in me for buying it. I still have an opinion and I don't believe I need to play it to have an informed opinion. So...

No. I did not already know the answer. Time went on. Is there not a possibility they could have played it at a friends or whatever since then? Is it not possible they could have learned something they didn't know since then and have been adding to what they learned from their experience?

Please tell me how on earth I would know exactly what a person does from one week to another when I don't even know the person.

I was just curious as to whether they actually played it and what they thought about it from that experience. Is it possible you know which post I'm speaking of?

Or are you just reacting like that person did for no reason?

I'm a blunt person. There is nothing between the lines to read from which I say.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member

No. I did not already know the answer. Time went on. Is there not a possibility they could have played it at a friends or whatever since then? Is it not possible they could have learned something they didn't know since then and have been adding to what they learned from their experience?

Please tell me how on earth I would know exactly what a person does from one week to another when I don't even know the person.

I was just curious as to whether they actually played it and what they thought about it from that experience. Is it possible you know which post I'm speaking of?

Or are you just reacting like that person did for no reason?

I'm a blunt person. There is nothing between the lines to read from which I say.

I have no idea- you said you knew and yet was curious. I can only read what you type.

When you ask... 'Have you even played the game?" That makes people defensive and feel attacked.

If you ask someone..."What are you thoughts of the game." That opens dialog and gives people a chance to open up.

I have seen a post with a comment like that. I don't know if it's the one you're talking about. O.O
    edited November 2014
    I have no idea- you said you knew and yet was curious. I can only read what you type.

When you ask... 'Have you even played the game?" That makes people defensive and feel attacked.

If you ask someone..."What are you thoughts of the game." That opens dialog and gives people a chance to open up.

I have seen a post with a comment like that. I don't know if it's the one you're talking about. O.O

My question was, "Have you played the game yet?" or "Have you had the chance to play the game yet?"

I don't remember the exact wording. I was simply curious because I was familiar with the poster and was attempting to be 'friendly?'

Needless to say, I don't care about being friendly with that poster any more.

What I do know is that people have a tendency to read into things. This is a forum. Words are words and questions are questions.

Just be honest. I can't see how a fight can start with that. It's when people go on the defense and start over-explaining things that a fight starts.

If you see the person you're talking to is getting out of hand, run! Don't stay and fight or try to justify yourself. This is a digital forum. Call it quits and get some sleep like I did, and never revisit that thread again.
  • munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    edited November 2014
    Yeah I agree with you fully. Sadly I am one of those people who DID buy the game and regret doing so. Personally I wish I didn't preorder it but bought it black friday or on sale... If someone hasn't bought the game and has actual reasons as to why they are complaining about the franchise aside from EA is terrible then they deserve to have their opinions heard.

However there are some people on this forum who complain about ever single thing about the game and you'd think that they would have played it and it turns out that they haven't. And I seriously doubt they even watched videos about the game... they just like to complain.
    munchie885 wrote: »
    Yeah I agree with you fully. Sadly I am one of those people who DID buy the game and regret doing so. Personally I wish I didn't preorder it but bought it black friday or on sale... If someone hasn't bought the game and has actual reasons as to why they are complaining about the franchise aside from EA is terrible then they deserve to have their opinions heard.

However there are some people on this forum who complain about ever single thing about the game and you'd think that they would have played it and it turns out that they haven't. And I seriously doubt they even watched videos about the game... they just like to complain.

You're pretty laid back as a person, and I appreciate that. I don't think I've ever had a problem with anything you've ever said, but this is by far, the most meaningful thing I've read from you. Granted, I don't read all your posts. :)
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I disagree with some of what you are saying there OP. There are hardly any HONEST reviews out there in anything as peoples bias, either for or against is present, it is part of human nature. It is that old adage of how two people can view the exact same situation and each person walk away from it and each describe a different event. It doesn't mean one is right and the other is wrong ... but actually playing something hands on is not really the same as watching it on a video. Hands on is always better. You can watch a video on say, how to carve a turkey, but there is a big difference in actually doing it for yourself. It is a valid question, and yes it is also a weak one and should not be used in any attempt to win an argument. I also don't think anyone on a sims forum is actually against the sims, EA sure. Maxis, okay ... but not so much the sims themselves.

And ... I do see it as a little bit of a flame bait, as it will cause controversy and people to draw sides. Personally, I am still enjoying it. So please don't bash me for actually liking the game.
  • MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    I'm with Rflong7 on this one. The question as asked implies that the poster has no basis for their comment. That's how it came across to me as well.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
    Mylita wrote: »
    I'm with Rflong7 on this one. The question as asked implies that the poster has no basis for their comment. That's how it came across to me as well.

Mylita

This is what irks me most about human nature and it's no wonder I have no friends. Are we all such liars and full of inuendos that a person can't simply ask a question without it meaning exactly what it means?

Really?
  • MitheledhMitheledh Posts: 14 New Member
    That is one of those questions that is often used to dismiss someone's opinions, but that does not mean it can't also be a legitimate question at times. If someone is posting their opinions, what is the basis of those opinions? Have they played the game? It is true that there are other ways to experience the game, through youtube and twitch, but there is something that needs to be remembered. Playing a game and watching a game are different experiences. Playing a game is an interactive experience while watching is more of a passive one. If would be foolish to think that that difference would not affect someone's opinion. What might be fun to play might be dull to watch.
    edited November 2014
    I have to disagree a little with you, @Gruffman

Enjoying a game doesn't take hands on- learning To Do something is good with hands on but enjoying a game- such as Football or soccer or lots of games- doesn't take hands on experience to enjoy it. Nor even to know if you would want to enjoy watching/playing it.

This isn't learning to do something, it's seeing game play to find out if you (3rd person) might want to play it. I know I don't want to play a lot of games just by the cover and description. I've even bought a few PC Games to see if I was wrong and I might* enjoy them- I was right and they did gather dust.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    To answer your question, yes I do own it. The Sims 4 Premium Edition. But I do not discount the people who do not own it. I think EA needs to know their reasons for not purchasing the game. A lot can be learned from the media and from other people. Also they may have tried out a friends game and most likely tried the demo. I welcome their input.
    edited November 2014

Enjoying a game doesn't take hands on- learning To Do something is good with hands on but enjoying a game- such as Football or soccer or lots of games- doesn't take hands on experience to enjoy it. Nor even to know if you would want to enjoy watching/playing it.

This isn't learning to do something, it's seeing game play to find out if you (3rd person) might want to play it. I know I don't want to play a lot of games just by the cover and description. I've even bought a few PC Games to see if I was wrong and I might* enjoy them- I was right and they did gather dust.

True. I hated dodgeball because a girl wanted to beat me up because I hated it. I also hated baseball for the same reason... Oh but wait.. I did play those, and I su.ck.ed at them...

EDIT: If only youtube existed back then.
  • SimMommy05SimMommy05 Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited November 2014
    Mylita wrote: »

Mylita

This is what irks me most about human nature and it's no wonder I have no friends. Are we all such liars and full of inuendos that a person can't simply ask a question without it meaning exactly what it means?

Really?

I honestly think it depends on the context of the conversation. If two people are going back and forth arguing about how good or bad the game is and the person in favor of the game says, "Well, have you even played the game, yet?", that IMO is the equivalent of saying, "Be Quiet, you haven't played so you have no right to speak negatively." It's understandable about how that would offend someone.

To ask if someone's played the game in a friendly way? I really don't see the harm in it. Again, it's all in the context of how something is said, or in this case, typed.

• GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member

There is a difference from doing something yourself and watching a video of someone else doing it. Things that the person who made the video (in this case, since the OP was talking about youtube) might dismiss and/or downplay could be something that the viewee might enjoy or want to see more of. You can form an opinion from watching a video, but I don't believe watching something is the same as doing it.

In the end though, I guess it doesn't matter.
    edited November 2014
    *messed up quote. :blush:
    True. I hated dodgeball because a girl wanted to beat me up because I hated it. I also hated baseball for the same reason... Oh but wait.. I did play those, and I su.ck.ed at them...

EDIT: If only youtube existed back then.

Lol! I loved dodgeball. :D

Still, my point does stand- in my opinion. There are games I've never played and yet I enjoy watching them (curling). I don't like watching basketball and don't care to play it. I think I would love to Curl though-. :D

• munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    munchie885 wrote: »

You're pretty laid back as a person, and I appreciate that. I don't think I've ever had a problem with anything you've ever said, but this is by far, the most meaningful thing I've read from you. Granted, I don't read all your posts. :)

Oh my twerk I'm so flattered...
    giphy.gif?w=320
    SimMommy05 wrote: »
    I honestly think it depends on the context of the conversation. If two people are going back and forth arguing about how good or bad the game is and the person in favor of the game says, "Well, have you even played the game, yet?", that IMO is the equivalent of saying, "Be Quiet, you haven't played so you have no right to speak negatively." It's understandable about how that would offend someone.

To ask if someone's played the game in a friendly way? I really don't see the harm in it. Again, it's all in the context of how something is said, or in this case, typed.

Regardless, why would you be offended in the first place? You either like the game or you don't for your own personal reasons whether you bought it or you didn't.

I hated S3 before I bought it. Granted, it was a silent hate, but I can't fathom for the life of me why I'd be offeded if someone asked me if I played it.

After I finally broke down and played S3, I still hated it. I just basically knew. You see? We all kind of know what we like and don't like sometimes—to begin with. It's still not offensive to me if someone asks me if I ever actually played it.

My answer is really, 'no.' Can't stand the fricken thing... Why should that lead into an argument or me feeling insecure about something I'm pretty flipping sure about?
    *notices someone getting upset and backs out of topic* :hushed:
    *notices someone getting upset and backs out of topic* :hushed:

I'm not upset. Just saying. I already know when I dislike something. Why harp about it? I also never really played S3. I own all the EP and SP (minus KP), and I'm still not ashamed to say I don't like the game. Why should anyone feel ashamed?