Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Do You Even Own The Game?"

Comments

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Sc3niX wrote: »
    Come to think of it , you know what's the saddest part in this "lover" "hater" fight ?<br />
    <br />
    In the end, everyone wants the same thing -> the sims 4 to be a good game. It's just that some thought they could enjoy the game despite it's lacks.

Well the lovers are rubbing it in the whole time that they love the game instead of saying "Yeah EA definitely needs to work on this and this"

I enjoy the Sims 4 -- but it doesn't mean that it doesn't need improvement, from key items like toddlers and a basic story progression (to help the neighborhood grow, but with a way to keep certain households from getting involved in extramarital activities) to little things like an upright piano (since not every house can squeeze in a grand and who wants to drag their kid to the nightclub for piano practice?) or dishwashers. And maybe a semi-open world where you can go to a lot within your neighborhood without loading screens (so my Sim kid can run over to visit the little girl next door and swim in her pool) but to go to another neighborhood or town you'd need loading screens.

I think the devs are trying, as they continue to learn what they can or can't do within the limitations of the game engine. We're getting bug fixes a lot more frequently than we did with Sims 3, for one -- back then we pretty much only got patches right before an EP (and occasionally an SP), and it would mainly patch in new features while breaking existing features.

Right now I deal with the lacks in my own way, and don't let those missing features detract from my enjoyment of the game...while continuing to hope that those things will return and make my enjoyment even greater.
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Come to think of it , you know what's the saddest part in this "lover" "hater" fight ?<br />
    <br />
    In the end, everyone wants the same thing -> the sims 4 to be a good game. It's just that some thought they could enjoy the game despite it's lacks.

Well the lovers are rubbing it in the whole time that they love the game instead of saying "Yeah EA definitely needs to work on this and this"

I don't think that's totally true. Yes, I love the game, but I have also said there are things I would like to see different. I don't like the goal driven (linear) aspect of the game and I have repeatedly said I would like the locked items unlocked. But so far, it hasn't stopped me from playing the way I like. I just take my sweet old time and do what I want. Who cares if I don't get a promotion this week? Not me.

One change I would love to see is with the career tasks -- make them optional (except for the daily task like writing books or preparing food) but if you do them you get a bigger raise and/or bonus. That would give players a choice -- do they want to move up the ranks easier or do they want more money? If you're sending your 3rd or 4th Sim through a particular career in order to get items unlocked or to fulfill an aspiration, you might want to just get through it as quickly as possible. (I do wish that there was a way to have items unlocked game-wide if you complete a career with a Sim in that particular game save; I've had to put 3 Sims into Culinary just to get those nice counters unlocked for them -- wish they had matching overhead cabinets though.)

Yes. That's what I mean. Even if we do go through the whole process of finishing a career for the rewards, they are no good to any other play. So it's rinse and repeat if you want to use them. And that isn't open-ended or creative gameplay.

I usually quit any careers because of it. I had one sim up to level 9 in the secret agent career, but then quit because they wanted her to have 8 friends. Well, she lost them all because she was too busy focusing on her career and family and didn't have time for friends.

I'm doing an astronaut in another save and taking my time. The rewards he has unlocked aren't that much. I just sold the console he got because there was no interaction with it aside from enabling a confident aura. Meh. I'll take the $750 simoleons instead.
  • Options
    Gnarl_LeeGnarl_Lee Posts: 1,014 Member
    you didn't buy the game, you dont play the game, you dont like the game, you hate the developer, you hate the publisher, you hate everything the game stands for, so why are you even here?...open forums are a playground for trolls...it certainly shows
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    Gnarl_Lee wrote: »
    ...open forums are a playground for trolls

yes , yes they are .
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    you didn't buy the game, you dont play the game, you dont like the game, you hate the developer, you hate the publisher, you hate everything the game stands for, so why are you even here?...open forums are a playground for trolls...it certainly shows

We are here to prompt a better game
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    abbyshireabbyshire Posts: 601 Member
    @Writin_Reg, thank you for sharing your story and I wish you the best in your recovery. <3
    ETA: Darn you, autocorrect!
  • Options
    GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member

I don't have the game because, to me, it's not good value for money. I was almost foolish enough to drop $80 on a game where I knew going in that family play was crippled. Luckily I listened to my gut instinct and backed out.

So, here I am on the forums because I'm hoping the game will get better through patches. Don't get me wrong. I want to like the game. In its current state I feel like asking 30 dollars from me on Black Friday is still too much. I shall continue with the wait and see approach.

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    @Writin_Reg -- not going to repost your entire post but just wanted to say I'm sorry you've got the health struggles. My mom battled a mild form of lymphoma for several years, though it was the lung cancer and heart disease that finally killed her (she'd quit smoking after her first heart attack but the damage had been done).

I do feel like there is more emphasis on the Sims this time around; Sims 3 seemed to be more about the worlds, and they were beautiful but I felt like the Sims themselves were a bit barren in many respects, which is why the Store was so appealing to fill the game up with stuff where they could interact with items since there weren't that many interactions between Sims. Now Sims themselves are a lot richer -- a lot more interactions, especially as relationships develop.

I agree that the young adult stage feels a bit superfluous. But I wouldn't want to go back to the Sims 2 model of young adult only for University, because that means that in-game adults could never go back to school to get degrees. I always felt bad for my Sim parents when their kids ended up better educated and with better jobs than their parents could ever get. Sims 3 Uni Life with all age groups able to go to college worked much better for me. If we're going to have both age groups though, there should be something that makes the two groups different; adults shouldn't just be a continuation of young adults. Just like it's hard for teens to find other teens for potential romantic partners, I've lost track of the number of players who've said they've married their young adult Sim to a townie only to find that new spouse was only 2 or 3 days away from becoming an Elder. Just some way of asking age would be a big help;
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

We are here to prompt a better game

Everyone has their ideas of what makes the game better to them. And everyone plays their own way and this is why it's such a well-loved game by the people that play it. They make their worlds personal, and then they run them.

No matter what they do, or how they make it, it cannot possibly please every simmer.

• Options
    FertieSimsFertieSims Posts: 162 Member
    I've never asked or cared if anyone owns the game, but imo you can't judge a game or anything if you haven't tried it yourself, especially the Sims which is a very personal game.
  • Options
    SpidersWebSpidersWeb Posts: 1,027 Member
    There is a time and place.

"I didn't buy this game because..."
    and
    "I am not buying this game until they add...."

...is all valid feedback, if people aren't buying the game, they certainly need to know why and fans of the series certainly have a right to express their opinions - owned or not.

But pushing comments that revolve around "this game sucks" (basically a review) of a game somebody hasn't played (and they fail to mention this) is annoying - especially when it turns up in threads that are either positive (e.g. look at my pretty house) or players are providing constructive feedback on gameplay changes based off gameplay experience.

This topic isn't in reply / targeted to anyone in particular.
    Performance, Price, Portability - pick two.
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited November 2014

Its a simple concept really. Perhaps you will be able to comprehend a simple sentence. If we don't complain, nothing will change. Please get off your entitled train, if you don't like the negativity then the forum is not the place for you. A forum is where people can express their opinions freely, just because i don't own the game anymore doesn't mean i can't have an opinion about it. I have supported this franchise since its release, i have every bit of right to be here than you do.

Begone sheep *sprinkles anti fanboy/girl dust*
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    I think the devs are trying, as they continue to learn what they can or can't do within the limitations of the game engine. We're getting bug fixes a lot more frequently than we did with Sims 3, for one -- back then we pretty much only got patches right before an EP (and occasionally an SP), and it would mainly patch in new features while breaking existing features.
    There's a bit of a misconception in that statement. The only limitations the game engine has are the ones the developers themselves imposed. They developed the engine, it is a proprietary engine (as opposed to third party licensed) that they built, once you build an engine, you know what it is capable of doing, you understand it. That's why back when the whole pool argument and the devs saying the engine didn't support it was a flat out lie. If you built an engine, you are more than capable of making it support anything, given it is within a reasonable margin of work.

It is quite funny though, the pattern of bug fixing patches that fix a few issues and break a few others is so akin to Early Access/Alpha games. It is a state in which the coding framework is so fragile that touching one line here might completely mess a hundred lines over there.

As much as I love TS3 the most because of the sheer vast amounts of content, gameplay, open worlds opening so much core gameplay, and things to do in general, if it wasn't for mods, it'd be too buggy and glitchy and unstable for me to actually enjoy.
  • Options
    EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    edited November 2014

Its a simple concept really. Perhaps you will be able to comprehend a simple sentence. If we don't complain, nothing will change. Please get off your entitled train, if you don't like the negativity then the forum is not the place for you. A forum is where people can express their opinions freely, just because i don't own the game anymore doesn't mean i can't have an opinion about it. I have supported this franchise since its release, i have every bit of right to be here than you do.

True. You can express your opinion. But it's possible without being aggressive, rude, or calling other people names. I don't really like being call a sheep. I'm felling perfectly human, tanks you very much.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

True. You can express your opinion. But it's possible without being aggressive, rude, or calling other people names. I don't really like being call a sheep. I'm felling perfectly human, tanks you very much.

Yeah lets forget that the person i was replying to was being an absolute peach. ;) And my comment wasn't directed at you in the first place. :p
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

Yeah lets forget that the person i was replying to was being an absolute peach. ;)

Let's not forget there are posters here with that exact attitude. I don't believe they pointed any fingers and stated the truth. Some people come here without much if any constructive criticism and do come to start arguments.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited November 2014
    FertieSims wrote: »
    I've never asked or cared if anyone owns the game, but imo you can't judge a game or anything if you haven't tried it yourself, especially the Sims which is a very personal game.
    I quote myself from a few pages back:
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    @DevilH4: I agree and I would even go further and say it's a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 argument. The facts about this game are well known (i.e. cartoony graphics, closed world). One does not need to shove his money down EA's throat to know this. Buying and playing this game does NOT change those facts in any way.

@kremesch73: You see that's one of those Simmers the OP is talking about.
    This space is for rent.
  • Options

Yeah lets forget that the person i was replying to was being an absolute peach. ;)

Let's not forget there are posters here with that exact attitude. I don't believe they pointed any fingers and stated the truth. Some people come here without much if any constructive criticism and do come to start arguments.

Yup, my sheep comment was only directed to that simmer. I'm genuinely happy for those who like the game, and i've said this plenty of times. But don't tell me to get off the forums just because i don't like the game when all i want at the end of the day is for this game to become an enjoyable one for me. Being humble goes both ways, don't expect me to be humble towards you when you aren't being humble towards me, directly or indirectly it may be. (Speaking in general ofc)
  • Options
    EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member

Don't take it too personally. Was more a general note (No mater what 'side' the involved person are in.)
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member

Yup, my sheep comment was only directed to that simmer. I'm genuinely happy for those who like the game, and i've said this plenty of times. But don't tell me to get off the forums just because i don't like the game when all i want at the end of the day is for this game to become an enjoyable one for me. Being humble goes both ways, don't expect me to be humble towards you when you aren't being humble towards me, directly or indirectly it may be. (Speaking in general ofc)

I'm not sure you got my point. There are people who come here just to start arguments so if you don't feel the comment related to you why the sheep comment?

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options

Don't take it too personally. Was more a general note (No mater what 'side' the involved person are in.)

Don't take my sheep comment personally either, it was directed at that simmer and that simmer alone.

Directly or indirectly that comment involved all the people who don't like the game. I don't take things on the internet personally, i just like expressing myself. Humbleness goes both ways and i see more humbleness from haters than from lovers because of comments like that simmer has made.
  • Options

I'm not sure you got my point. There are people who come here just to start arguments so if you don't feel the comment related to you why the sheep comment?

It involves all the haters. Why does my sheep comment bother you so much if it wasn't directed at you? ;)
  • Options
    horrorfan1980shorrorfan1980s Posts: 2,900 Member
    The problem is that there are posters on both sides that give everyone else on that side a bad name.
    can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will boxed after sword is out.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    The "sheep" comment was directed at the person who called us trolls. I quoted the person I was replying to, and so did sc3niX. If someone took offense to it, that's on *their* shoulders not on ours. Maybe next time, read the entire thing before taking offense.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    The problem is that there are posters on both sides that give everyone else on that side a bad name.

Well I don't agree with that sentiment. That's just being discriminatory to one or another. Yes there are people who behave badly. 'Sides' is irrelevant.
  • Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    The "sheep" comment was directed at the person who called us trolls. I quoted the person I was replying to, and so did sc3niX. If someone took offense to it, that's on *their* shoulders not on ours. Maybe next time, read the entire thing before taking offense.

A good piece of advice from the taco bell chihuahua!

(Sorry. HAD to inject humor somewhere. OK, continue...)