Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Do You Even Own The Game?"

18910111214...Next

Comments

• Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Shadoza2 wrote: »
    The comment, btw, was stated out of frustration and does not represent the opinion or views of Maxis or EA. No need to panic or try to force sales.

I'm grown up enough to know I'd survive just fine if a 5 never came out, but I really think it was bad form to publicly say what he said. It's one of those things that can make people feel 'forced' into something, and that feeling can spur a lot of unneeded and unnecessary resentment. I'd love to slap that man silly for saying that.

Me too. And perhaps the user that copy/pasted it to a net news site. That statement started much trouble for some folks that just wasn't necessary.
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    The comment, btw, was stated out of frustration and does not represent the opinion or views of Maxis or EA. No need to panic or try to force sales.

I'm grown up enough to know I'd survive just fine if a 5 never came out, but I really think it was bad form to publicly say what he said. It's one of those things that can make people feel 'forced' into something, and that feeling can spur a lot of unneeded and unnecessary resentment. I'd love to slap that man silly for saying that.

Me too. And perhaps the user that copy/pasted it to a net news site. That statement started much trouble for some folks that just wasn't necessary.

His statement honestly sounded like a spoiled brat's when they don't get it their way.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • DevilH4DevilH4 Posts: 467 Member
    A lot of the PR for the Sims 4 caused this
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    DevilH4 wrote: »
    A lot of the PR for the Sims 4 caused this

Agreed
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    A long time ago, yes, you needed to purchase a game or play a demo to see if it was good or not, but nowadays, we have Youtube, we have more HONEST reviewers, we got Twitch. All these things help a consumer in determining whether a game is worth their money.

I agree.

I does not make you capable enough of giving feedback and the actual game, though.

So, basically, what you're saying is that people who make the decision not to buy the game based purely on their research are incapable of coming on here and giving any meaningful feedback on the game? At least, that's the way I read it, so maybe you could clarify your statement, because as it stands, it's ambiguous and could be interpreted in ways that you didn't mean.

What Derek said, sounded pretty insulting to me...

I said you cannot give feedback on what you never tried yourself and have just experienced second-hand.

If that is insulting to you, I am flabbergasted.

I would feel a man is giving feedback on childbirth pain and feelings because he watched it.

I myself would ask the women who gave birth.
    Yes, I have seen this too. I do wonder why we (general term) feel so defensive about our choices that it seems necessary to attack other who have not made the same choice. Just seems wrong to me.

I doubt anyone is going to agree with me on this one: but I think it comes down to anger and resentment. I don't think this applies to everyone. I just think some people are angry at those who like it and want to try it because it's betraying them somehow. If enough people like it, the game may be a success, in turn, leaving those who don't like it feeling stuck with something they wanted to see fail.

Same goes for those who feel strongly for the game. The threat is that if enough people complain about the game, they might wind up with a game they don't want, and so on...

It's just a theory, and I don't feel it applies to the majority. I also don't think it's everyone that does the shooting down for either side. It's a small group. They're just more noticeable because of the results that follow.

There is also the other group that waivers between them. Sometimes, they just get tired of seeing the same comments over and over and they vocalize it, be it for or against the original comment.

I didn't care that people liked it nor am i angry and resentful at people who do like the game. I get angry when im belittled and my conversation is thrown offtopic because people feel I don't have a right to post or discuss a topic in the manner of which i choose.

However i don't really care that they feel that way. It becomes their problem not mine and they can just hold it to them selves. If i choose not to buy a game it's my business. If i equally choose to comment on forums why im not buying it, why i dislike it and what i feel can solve the problem that equally is my business as well. Especially when im invited as much to do so by the dev's of this game.

I want everyone to be able to play and it's not right to dictate how a person should feel. Neither stages is why i post, in this forum even though i don't like sims 4. I have no fear of the other side on anything regardless if sales increase or not why should i be scared of someone who has no control over what is going on. You cannot design the features im looking for, and you did not create the game.

One side gave their money to ea, on side did not that's all i see i as. I think neither has a voice louder than the other which makes none of us better than the other either. In the end Ea must choose what to do, but as their reading they can see what im interested in, what im having a problem with and if it helps to see where to work towards than it helps the game over all.

Frankly many of the people like myself don't want to see sims as a franchise fail, However when it comes to ea and their backwards company policies that are used to take advantage of customers, and shovel out games or target audiences that would cause the game to go in decline many of us don't to see EA succeed in those policies because we want the company to improve. That has nothing to do with the fanbase, and many times i have to tell people such that it's nothing personal with them it's just business. To me that is what annoys me, i want to discuss business, and game design whether it's fact or opinion i want to do it without having to answer to an angry fan who is taking personal what i have to say because the like or don't like something being discussed and feel it's a personal insult or a front on them when it had nothing to do with them in the first place. What makes them feel justified to white knight their way into a conversation and then proceed to attack, belittle, and try to chase off the poster, i'll never know. Especially when they don't own the forums, nor the company which has invited such people like myself to come on here and post our view point.
    Yes, I have seen this too. I do wonder why we (general term) feel so defensive about our choices that it seems necessary to attack other who have not made the same choice. Just seems wrong to me.

I doubt anyone is going to agree with me on this one: but I think it comes down to anger and resentment. I don't think this applies to everyone. I just think some people are angry at those who like it and want to try it because it's betraying them somehow. If enough people like it, the game may be a success, in turn, leaving those who don't like it feeling stuck with something they wanted to see fail.

Same goes for those who feel strongly for the game. The threat is that if enough people complain about the game, they might wind up with a game they don't want, and so on...

It's just a theory, and I don't feel it applies to the majority. I also don't think it's everyone that does the shooting down for either side. It's a small group. They're just more noticeable because of the results that follow.

There is also the other group that waivers between them. Sometimes, they just get tired of seeing the same comments over and over and they vocalize it, be it for or against the original comment.

What if it were possible to change the tone of the website in general. To create a more unified feel for all The Sim fans. Do you believe that the users of the website could accomplish something like this?
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited November 2014
    What if it were possible to change the tone of the website in general. To create a more unified feel for all The Sim fans. Do you believe that the users of the website could accomplish something like this?

Some. Yes. I think most of us are trying to make an effort now, but none of us are perfect, and others can't let it go. Others. No.

My take on it was that a lot of the hostility started after the trolling (the real trolling), and the name calling (sheep, haters, et cetera). They're mostly gone/banned/mellowed now. After a while, I just don't think any of us trusted each other any more. We were overdosed with spamming and unnecessary hostility when these forums opened. Because of that, a lot of us just couldn't tell the difference between a genuine poster or someone being overly passionate (to put it kindly). To be honest, I'm still suspicious of overly happy or angry posts from new users. For the most part, I think we're all toning down a bit though. I could be wrong.

I still don't like the name-calling and don't see why anyone feels it's necessary. That's just me.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
    It is not there anymore; there use to be a tab near the star-rating chart at the top of the ratings. I am sad that it is no longer there.

Must have been short lived. Been with Amazon since it opened. Never seen it. Maybe it was there at the beginning and I just forgot about it? I know many sites have a 'verified user' in the reviewer section. Just don't recall it ever being on Amazon. This doesn't mean it was never there, however.

I cannot say how long they were using the "verified purchase" system. Been a long time, I believe.

Edit: Sent a notice to Amazon. Hoping they didn't remove it completely. The notices that the review has a verified purchase is still available.

Amazon returned a notice stating they are looking into this.

Some. Yes. I think most of us are trying to make an effort now, but none of us are perfect, and others can't let it go. Others. No.

My take on it was that a lot of the hostility started after the trolling (the real trolling), and the name calling (sheep, haters, et cetera). They're mostly gone/banned/mellowed now. After a while, I just don't think any of us trusted each other any more. We were overdosed with spamming and unnecessary hostility when these forums opened. Because of that, a lot of us just couldn't tell the difference between a genuine poster or someone being overly passionate (to put it kindly). To be honest, I'm still suspicious of overly happy or angry posts from new users. For the most part, I think we're all toning down a bit though. I could be wrong.

I still don't like the name-calling and don't see why anyone feels it's necessary. That's just me.

I don't like it either...especially when one user discovers a reason to call out another on the threads. The PMs are working now and walls are available for private encounters. I think that is a better place for it then in the actual threads.
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited November 2014
    Nope, haven't played it, and don't plan to, not until my concerns (LOL, like that will happen) are addressed. I didn't like what I saw during pre-beta, hated what I saw coming just prior to release, and found affirmation in the luke-warm (at best) reviews. I've seen enough to know that it would be for me a waste of money. Before anyone jumps into to say 'But you don't know, you haven't tried it!", I again say," I've never been hit by train, but given the weight and speed of a even 'just' a moving locomotive, I can safely-and credibly-say such an experience is not for me."

If they make massive improvements, I'm willing to then give it a try. Until then, I'll hope for the best and expect the worst.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    So people want you to spend 70$ on something you'll find disappointing just so they can allow you to express how you feel? No thanks, I'm not giving EA a dime of my money.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    To answer your question, yes I do own it. The Sims 4 Premium Edition. But I do not discount the people who do not own it. I think EA needs to know their reasons for not purchasing the game. A lot can be learned from the media and from other people. Also they may have tried out a friends game and most likely tried the demo. I welcome their input.

I stand by what I said.

• NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member

I totally agree with you. I think you exactly hit the nail on the gist of the matter. Amen.

I like the game. I don't care if others don't like it. It's their opinion. I just get tired of the incessant whining about it and getting attacked when I say I like it. I should be able to say I like it. I like it. There are some things I hope will be fixed, but it has been my experience that humans (and consumers) will eventually adjust to anything. I mean, look at Facebook.

This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
  • TheWorld_7TheWorld_7 Posts: 12 New Member
    Own the standard version of Sims 4, haven't gone to it in awhile, mostly focused on 2 for some reason, I think it's possible to figure whether someone owns the game or not through Origin. I'll be back playing the game once the first EP arrives.
    Naydi wrote: »

I totally agree with you. I think you exactly hit the nail on the gist of the matter. Amen.

I like the game. I don't care if others don't like it. It's their opinion. I just get tired of the incessant whining about it and getting attacked when I say I like it. I should be able to say I like it. I like it. There are some things I hope will be fixed, but it has been my experience that humans (and consumers) will eventually adjust to anything. I mean, look at Facebook.

This could be truth. I don't like Facebook either.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    bobyo2001 wrote: »
    So people want you to spend 70$ on something you'll find disappointing just so they can allow you to express how you feel? No thanks, I'm not giving EA a dime of my money.

Well said
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    This could be truth. I don't like Facebook either.

Ditto. Had it when my daughter was younger so I could keep an eye on her after she posted some pics I felt she shouldn't have.

Now that she's older, I'm glad I don't have it any more. Completely useless waste of web space.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5