Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Do You Even Own The Game?"

Comments

• Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    MsPhy wrote: »
    Jarsie9 wrote: »

I think EA got the message by now. Now let's wait and see if they act upon it. Rehearsing the same stuff all over again isn't of much help.

Thank you for telling me to shut up. I'm sure you're tired of reading it. But you missed the point of my post, okay? The point is that EA isn't going to "act on it", no matter how many times we "rehearse" it.

So, if your message to me is "shut up and let's wait and see what EA's going to do", then that's the kind of arrogant dismissive attitude that I've come to expect from the pro-TS4 side. And, you know what? It's not changing my opinion one iota. Shutting up and waiting to see what they're going to do is not really an option. Because, as I said in my post earlier, the day we shut up is the day that EA knows that they've already lost.

Seriously? This from the woman who only yesterday told someone, "This is actually a useless topic...Why recycle the same old same old? You're not likely to learn anything new, so I honestly don't know what you think you can accomplish here other than to keep the forum active." Pot, kettle, etc. I just thought people should know.

Circling back to topic: I can understand why people might want to know if a poster is speaking from the position of game owner/player or educated observer, but I don't think it should be a criteria for whether one can/should post an opinion. I also think people need to be careful about the way the phrase the question, if they feel the need to ask, and that those being asked should look carefully at the context and wording of the question before taking offense.

I don't actually see your point here, Jarsie was frustrated and I understand that-that some people continue to ask the same question of those who are disappointed when they've been here and seen exactly what they have said over the past few months. She may not have handled it in the best way according to you or others but when you've had months of being belittled for your opinions it does begin to grate. It's not the pot calling the kettle black. People want to know things are being worked on for sure. Until we get there these begging threads will continue just because if we shut up then EA will forget us pretty quickly. It's not a personal attack on you or your experience of the game that people feel differently :-)

Besides that was yesterday, best to let things go or we get threads after thread talking about people's past mistakes and arguments and never move on. Our forum is getting better recently and it would be a shame to ruin that.

My point was that it struck me as ironic that someone who only yesterday essentially told someone to "shut up" on a particular topic, displaying n attitude I found "arrogant" and "dismissive," would complain because she thought someone was telling HER to shut up while displaying an arrogant, dismissive attitude.

I will also mention, since you brought it up, that she has belittled this same person's opinions for months.

Hence pot, kettle. Treat others as you would have them treat you? Etc. etc.

I'm glad you think the forum has gotten better. I disagree.

I've already stated my thoughts regarding the original topic; nothing to add on that point.

• Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited November 2014
    I'm going to go in every new toddler thread that pops up daily and ask why they're posting this as the questions have already been posed, to see what kind of reaction I get. Or does that not apply simply because the opinion doesn't line up to what you feel?

MsPhy just to clarify that comment was not aimed towards you.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    I saw someone else say this earlier but sometimes I HAVE to play a game to ensure it is what I think it is. I've had first impressions of games based on what I've heard or seen that were COMPLETELY wrong. Some of those games rank highly for me now but before I played them they weren't even a blip on my radar. So I understand some people can judge by not playing but I think I'm not one of those people for the most part.

I got TS4 for really cheap because I wanted to ensure I was right in my hatred and I had a return policy to give me confidence. But I was kind of wrong about how much I hated it. Besides the missing toddlers, bugs, and some other annoyances, I actually like the game. That being said though, I will still will critically judge any other things that they release for the game before purchasing knowing their track record.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    [

Seriously? This from the woman who only yesterday told someone, "This is actually a useless topic...Why recycle the same old same old? You're not likely to learn anything new, so I honestly don't know what you think you can accomplish here other than to keep the forum active." Pot, kettle, etc. I just thought people should know.

Circling back to topic: I can understand why people might want to know if a poster is speaking from the position of game owner/player or educated observer, but I don't think it should be a criteria for whether one can/should post an opinion. I also think people need to be careful about the way the phrase the question, if they feel the need to ask, and that those being asked should look carefully at the context and wording of the question before taking offense.

And, since pots are going to be calling kettles, here, I believe this was your response to me:

"Why do you care what <OP> posts? Why do you find it necessary to jump into threads only to criticize the OP and the idea presented? Is it because "nobody is yelling at anybody," so you want to try to get some of that going?

If you truly no longer care and are tired of this discussion, I have a great suggestion: Don't come here. Don't post. Find something to do that you DO care about and that does not tire you."

I didn't tell the OP to shut up. I asked why the OP was making the thread in the first place, since they have already been in numerous threads where the question has been asked before on what it would take for some players to feel the base game was complete. That's a whole different thing from saying "Shut up!" But, YOU, on the other hand, told me to "go away!" So, I did. But I don't apologize for asking the necessity of posing the question again. The only reason I could think of is that the OP wanted attention. Well, the OP got the attention. But there wasn't anything new to be learned from the information presented since it was all old information that everyone already knows. It would be different if the OP was new, but since this person has participated in numerous "here's what we want, EA!" threads, I didn't see where they needed any more enlightenment.

The person you were getting after here also did not tell you to "shut up." It was something you implied from what was said.

Yes, you quoted me correctly. I told you to go away because of your bullying behavior, and your own stated feelings that you did not care about the discussion and were tired of it. I'm tired of seeing people being bullied.
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    Even if you asked out of curiosity you know very well there ARE people who say "you can't judge before you played it"

I would never tell anyone they need to try it but I'm one of those people that did need to try it. My pre-order stance was that I needed hands on time of my own because while I take opinions and reviews into account I like to make up my own mind about things. I found it wasn't what I thought it would be like. I'm not one of the people who had to have pools and toddlers and I still find the game lacking. It's simply just boring for me. It's really disappointing.

There are the people who say it's just a base game but to tell the truth the TS2 and TS3 base game both gave me a lot of hours in fun play time. I just don't know if EPs will add to TS4 or not. It's really going to depend on if the devs listen to the fan base and try to correct the situation. If EPs just add, as I suspect, more scripted game play it will be the last money EA will see from me.

To me I don't need to try something, i think a lot of people are just different types of shoppers and people. Some people need to try things some people just don't. I'm the later. I already know what it is i want from the game if it doesn't provide it than i know i don't like it. Yes im that kind of shopper. I know my own self very well, and my interests. If know what im looking for out the game than trying it isn't going to be something i want to do. Not everyone buys sims to try a new experience. New is a lose interpretation in the first place. I've been playing sims both main series, side games, and console versions for over a decade. I even have free play on my phone. I'm very familiar with how the game works, functions and plays. If i don't want to play that way why would it be something that appeals to me. It won't and all it would do is damage my relationship with the game in the first place.

If i were to buy it now knowing i would not like it, all it would do is make me even more resentful i had wasted my money. Even if origins offers a return, it's a waste of my time to do all that just to prove what that i didn't like the game. Why not wait and give feedback hold on to my money and see if they'll listen. Then i can get the game when i feel better about my purchase. I rather buy a game with a good mindset than a bad one. Right now my mindset is not going to change about the game. I'd really wish people could respect that.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    In all actuality, none of us who forked over the $60.00+ for this game "owns" it. We're simply allowed to play it. Just sayin'.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    In all actuality, none of us who forked over the $60.00+ for this game "owns" it. We're simply allowed to play it. Just sayin'.

So sad and so true....
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited November 2014
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    I'm going to go in every new toddler thread that pops up daily and ask why they're posting this as the questions have already been posed, to see what kind of reaction I get. Or does that not apply simply because the opinion doesn't line up to what you feel?

Again, the reason I asked that particular question of *that particular person* is because that person already knew the answer to what she was asking, having participated in numerous discussion threads. If you and MsPhy choose to take offense at my question and are trying to rush to that person's defense that's up to you. As you notice, BOTH OF YOU, I am not posting in that thread ANYMORE.

So, you have no gripe with me, and Ms.Phy is the one who came in here and started in on me. Now, if you WANT to continue trying to derail this thread, go right ahead. I'm not playing your game. I don't have to, and frankly, I don't need to justify myself to either one of you.

And be sure that you let "that person" know that I will not be posting in any of "their" threads, while you're at it, so they need not worry about being bullied by me, poor baby.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

I think EA got the message by now. Now let's wait and see if they act upon it. Rehearsing the same stuff all over again isn't of much help.

Thank you for telling me to shut up. I'm sure you're tired of reading it. But you missed the point of my post, okay? The point is that EA isn't going to "act on it", no matter how many times we "rehearse" it.

So, if your message to me is "shut up and let's wait and see what EA's going to do", then that's the kind of arrogant dismissive attitude that I've come to expect from the pro-TS4 side. And, you know what? It's not changing my opinion one iota. Shutting up and waiting to see what they're going to do is not really an option. Because, as I said in my post earlier, the day we shut up is the day that EA knows that they've already lost.

I don't actually see your point here, Jarsie was frustrated and I understand that-that some people continue to ask the same question of those who are disappointed when they've been here and seen exactly what they have said over the past few months. She may not have handled it in the best way according to you or others but when you've had months of being belittled for your opinions it does begin to grate. It's not the pot calling the kettle black. People want to know things are being worked on for sure. Until we get there these begging threads will continue just because if we shut up then EA will forget us pretty quickly. It's not a personal attack on you or your experience of the game that people feel differently :-)

Besides that was yesterday, best to let things go or we get threads after thread talking about people's past mistakes and arguments and never move on. Our forum is getting better recently and it would be a shame to ruin that.

My point was that it struck me as ironic that someone who only yesterday essentially told someone to "shut up" on a particular topic, displaying n attitude I found "arrogant" and "dismissive," would complain because she thought someone was telling HER to shut up while displaying an arrogant, dismissive attitude.

I will also mention, since you brought it up, that she has belittled this same person's opinions for months.

Hence pot, kettle. Treat others as you would have them treat you? Etc. etc.

I'm glad you think the forum has gotten better. I disagree.

I've already stated my thoughts regarding the original topic; nothing to add on that point.

I'm all for treat people well NO MATTER what opinion they have. I've apologised anytime I've misunderstood something once posters clarified their position too because I understand the concept that tone can't be shown on Internet forums in the same way you would 'read' non verbal cues in real life.

I mean it's got better because there's less obvious trolling going on and people seem to be able to be a lot more tolerant without that aggravation and stirring fights!

That said, I think some people need to let go some of this long term animosity that's simmered on this forum. Tolerance is needed on all sides and in the past with the crazy trolling stirring up resentments for their entertainment a lot of otherwise perfectly reasonable simmers fell into their argument traps so there were disagreements that went further than they should and targets for resentment fell at the wrong feet as a result. I blame the trolls for a lot of bad feeling on here :-(
  • Options
    jcp011c2 wrote: »

Again, the reason I asked that particular question of *that particular person* is because that person already knew the answer to what she was asking, having participated in numerous discussion threads. If you and MsPhy choose to take offense at my question and are trying to rush to that person's defense that's up to you. As you notice, BOTH OF YOU, I am not posting in that thread ANYMORE.

So, you have no gripe with me, and Ms.Phy is the one who came in here and started in on me. Now, if you WANT to continue trying to derail this thread, go right ahead. I'm not playing your game. I don't have to, and frankly, I don't need to justify myself to either one of you.

And be sure that you let "that person" know that I will not be posting in any of "their" threads, while you're at it, so they need not worry about being bullied by me.

You're right let's not derail this thread. As someone who actually posts a lot of things I agree with I'd rather not nitpick this particular issue with you.
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited November 2014
    > @Jarsie9 said:<br />
    > EowynCarter wrote: »<br />
    > <br />
    > Did i said "shut up" ? I said there was no point in repeating the same debate all over again, with the same argument, with both side not managing to convince the other anyway. Don't make me say what I didn't say... <br />

<br />
    > And remember, development take time...<br />

<br />
    > Because you've ask for toodlers and they're not there yet don't mean EA didn't hear at all.<br />

<br />
    > <br />

<br />
    > And sorry, I don't believe in the "yelling on internet make companies move". <br />

<br />
    > Sony left us with a buggy phone update; Yelling, yelling, and here goes... noting... I can find tons of occurrences like that...<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > I didn't ask for toddlers, although they should have been in the game in the first place. I'm talking on principle here about the toddlers. And saying "development takes time" not only sounds patronizing, but it's a cop-out. If toddlers were meant to be in the game, then they should have been left in the game, even if they were going to be limited like the babies. The generational players might not have liked it, but at least they'd still be playing.<br />
    > <br />
    > And, maybe "yelling on the internet" may not make companies move, but a clear indication that "if this doesn't get fixed, you can forget getting any more money from me" might actually work. So, if Sony left you with a buggy update, you and other customers complained about it (as you had every right to do), and nothing happened, did that make you eager to rush out and buy the latest model (I'm assuming cell phone, here) or did you go out and buy from another company?<br />
    > <br />
    > So, basically, what I interpret you saying is that arguing is not going to solve anything, so let's just sit back and wait to see what EA is going to do. Well, (again, my opinion) what EA's execs will *probably* do (again, my opinion) is nothing, because they'll figure that the natives are no longer restless and therefore, they can just carry on with whatever their "vision" of the Sims franchise is (probably adding more online elements).<br />
    > <br />
    > And the thing is, even with the rehearsing, at least it indicates our continued interest, but with two previous games to compete with, it's not that hard to walk away and stop buying anything TS4...and that's exactly what EA doesn't want, but that's exactly what our stopping with rehearsing the same thing over and over will tell them...that we no longer care about TS4, when we can play with 2 other iterations instead and not have to spend another dime.<br />
    Well, yes, arguing between each other, with EA hardly reading our discussion, not going to change stuff much. <br />
    <br />
    Putting toddler, even in a "crippled" form, would have required taking off something else. What they should have is report the launch to finished properly. it clearly was rushed.<br />
    <br />
    As to the phone, i got one from an other company, tired of the sola that had became unusable. Still own that phone almost two years later. And, well, I don't think sony cares at all.

Of course it was rushed. That's why we're sitting with a half baked game. Do you think if we stop complaining they still gonna do something to make this thing that they call sims better? No they are not. I encourage people to complain, this game had so SO MUCH potential. Then they ruined it by cutting all family play, overhyped and overdone emotions.

Who in their right mind decided to cut all family play for an emotional sim smiling like Barney the dinosaur while taking a dump?

You like the game and im happy for you, but let those who also wanted a new game, who also wanted to like the game complain and force EA to improve it. You like it, great. Let us complain in peace.
  • Options
    Okay, I can play nice. I've already answered any off-topic comments directed at me.

• Options
    EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    So, the updates in October , November and the coming one where what ?
    They ARE working on stuff, maybe not as fast as we would like, but they are. And not just because we're complaining.
  • Options
    So, the updates in October , November and the coming one where what ?<br />
    They ARE working on stuff, maybe not as fast as we would like, but they are. And not just because we're complaining.

But they told us they were working on them, months in advance. There lies the difference.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    So, the updates in October , November and the coming one where what ?<br />

Yes they are working on things, adding things and fixing some things. However the game still plays the way it plays. Scripted game play is still scripted game play and many more of the linear play situations that bother a lot of us haven't been changed. I'm afraid they never will be.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    > @sparkfairy1 said:
    > EowynCarter wrote: »
    >
    > So, the updates in October , November and the coming one where what ?

> They ARE working on stuff, maybe not as fast as we would like, but they are. And not just because we're complaining.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > But they told us they were working on them, months in advance. There lies the difference.

And then what ? Stop working and loose the potential money from extensions ? Waste all the work on base game ?
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    > @sparkfairy1 said:<br />
    > <br />
    > So, the updates in October , November and the coming one where what ?<br />

<br />
    > They ARE working on stuff, maybe not as fast as we would like, but they are. And not just because we're complaining.<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > But they told us they were working on them, months in advance. There lies the difference.<br />
    <br />
    And then what ? Stop working and loose the potential money from extensions ? Waste all the work on base game ?

If they did the base game properly to begin with they wouldn't have been in this position in the first place.
  • Options
    libra_stylelibra_style Posts: 1,229 Member
    Totally off topic I think but does anyone know how to properly use the # in the gallery because I'm not sure if I'm suppose to put it in the description or the other space that's there for info....I know this is a dumb question lol

--thanks in advance
  • Options
    Sc3niX wrote: »
    > @sparkfairy1 said:<br />
    > <br />
    > So, the updates in October , November and the coming one where what ?<br />

<br />
    > They ARE working on stuff, maybe not as fast as we would like, but they are. And not just because we're complaining.<br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > <br />
    > But they told us they were working on them, months in advance. There lies the difference.<br />
    <br />

If they did the base game properly to begin with they wouldn't have been in this position in the first place.

Exactly. Don't penalise your customers because you made mistakes.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2014
    DevilH4 wrote: »
    So I said I wouldn't post on here that much anymore, but this needs to be said. The question of "Do you even own the game?" as a way to shoot down people who are against the Sims 4 is a very weak and rude way of trying to win an arguement with someone who against Sims

A long time ago, yes, you needed to purchase a game or play a demo to see if it was good or not, but nowadays, we have Youtube, we have more HONEST reviewers, we got Twitch. All these things help a consumer in determining whether a game is worth their money. In today's economy, people don't want to purchase a game on the CHANCE that they MIGHT like it. People want confirmation and enough knowledge to know whether a game is worth the cash. Questioning whether someone purchased the game or not to validate their opinion on it, is just plain inconsiderate and desperate to try and make your side of the argument more dominant. If someone was judging the game came off troll-like obviously not knowing a single thing about the game, then yes, that question may be appropriate, but don't use it on someone who put in the time to research the game that they were considering purchasing -_-

I agree with you. In this day and age no one really has to play a game to form an opinion they would like it or they wouldn't. Not with all the news, reviews, trailers, Youtubers, and producer walk throughs or even open video beta testers who are allowed to show what they did in those games etc.

Since I have been asked this exact question several times here on the forum I can only say I find it insulting and a way to demean my opinions of anything I may have wanted to express. This continues today, when a player says something many rush in to ask them this very question. It's not so much they actually asked but because the 'even' is added to the sentence.

As in 'Do you 'even' own this game?'. Perhaps if people didn't write the word 'even' in their question but worded it differently if they are truly curious. But when it is worded that way it can only make a person feel like they are asking 'why are you even here?' etc.

But I have also seen they were called liars, or just made it up they don't have the game, or they didn't give it enough time, and were ridiculed for only playing four to ten hours before they decided no, it wasn't what they thought it would be. I have seen players rip them to shreds and tell them they didn't give it enough time. Where as by the same token those same players were on the forums within two hours of playing to scream how much they loved it. lol I think there has been a great deal of disrespect on both sides, but no, no one ever has to play a game anymore to know why they wouldn't like it. Gone are the days I have to get out the house and actually go buy one off the shelves before I know if I will like it or not. This is the age of instant information as you said, and you are absolutely correct.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I think it is important that the dev's hear what we like and do not like about the game. However I don't think it is OK to personally harass them. I think that sometimes happens.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    I think it is important that the dev's hear what we like and do not like about the game. However I don't think it is OK to personally harass them. I think that sometimes happens.

I agree with that. I don't think I have ever done that personally, and I certainly hope I never do or called them names etc. They are employees and so they don't 'own' this game or this series. So, my aggravation most of the time is with who I call talking heads at EA headquarters which make major decisions of the directions of all their games. And yes, I sometimes do have problems with their vision of any franchise they touch and decide to change it's core.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    @DevilH4 and Cinebar

Then again you have people like me who watched pre-release game play and thought....well that's not how I play. How will this game play for me? One video that comes to mind was two of the devs playing. I remember thinking that I rarely send my Sims to the gym and I know I wouldn't send my Sims to the park to stand around or do pushups. I was thinking that it was two guys doing guy stuff and it just didn't fit me. Little did I know that there really wasn't a lot more to the game.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    I agree. I think the problem lies more with the business and not with the dev's. But unfortunately they sometimes get caught in the crossfire because of frustration. They are probably frustrated too.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    We shouldn't even be having discussions where "Do you own this game" is an issue. We should be talking up this game and discusssing how well we like the way the team handled all the life stages, whether or not we like the open world, but how we love the Sims themselves and what an improvement over TS2/TS3.

And we should be speculating over what the first EP should be, with very passionate discussions...but we're not, and all because EA made a poor decision and left a lot of its fan base alienated. And making the "lovers" fear that if the "whiners" get their way, the franchise will be finished and TS5 will never be made.

That's why those who don't like the game 100% are trashed, really. Call it Damage Control, if you will.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!