Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unpopular opinions about ts4

191011121315...Next

Comments

• Options
    Callous_LilyCallous_Lily Posts: 198 Member
    Instead of story progression, I'd like the ability to hook up townies without playing them. Get a romance started between Candy Behr and Mitchell K, for example. But I'd only have to give a gentle nudge and the game would route them to get together and start a family without input from me. This would be great when playing generations and when I want my family's child to grow up and marry Candy's kid. The fewer rotational played families, the better, I say. Rotational play starts becoming too much like work after a while.

Wish there was a Monte Vista type world for Sims 4. OMG, the lighting for Monte Vista was gorgeous! I miss those sunset date nights on the river. That said, I prefer the graphics of Sims 4 to Sims 3.

My main complaint- no more capris, for guys or girls. There's enough in my Sims closet to last me a lifetime.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

Although you are not wrong about Maxis' (and EA's) "hunger," the Sims franchise is far from the only one to do this. Go check out some Paradox Interactive titles on the Steam shop some day. Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV have tons of expansions, DLCs, and dozens of what in Sims would be called "stuff packs" -- cosmetic things like different kinds of troop avatars or different ruler portraits or even different music. If you wanted to buy ALL the DLC for CKII at this point, it's over $250. Same with EU IV. They also make Cities Skylines (a Sim-City like city simulator) and with all that DLC you are looking at $120 or so.

That isn't accurate. All their base games are COMPLETE and you don't need the additional expansions to enjoy those games. But in order to enjoy The Sims 4, you NEED to actually buy the EPs and GPs.

And I'm nott sure where you get that Sims 2 an 3 only had "fun little extras." I remember coming in relatively late to TS2, and I was nearly bowled over by the sheer number of expansions and stuff packs I wanted to get. Many of these added huge amounts of different gameplay to the games, such as University Life, Open for Business, etc. I bought these on CD at my local Target, like one expansion or stuff pack a week for months, until I had them all. And wouldn't you know *JUST* as I got current with all the packs, TS3 was launched. (Of course). This kind of thing is not new to the Sims.

I agree with this. Expansions packs for TS2 and TS3 were MASSIVE and added even more amazing gameplay. But TS4 is pretty cheap on the other hand and I hate it that they reuse meshes/recolors because people are basically buying the same item more than once. I've seen other games sell different colors of something, but they are inexpensive and you can buy them individually - not grouped together with other stuff that's more unique, which would force a simmer to buy the pack.

Is it getting worse year by year? Heck yes. But that's true of every game franchise out there. They release less and less per game, pack, or update, and charge more and more for it. As long as we keep buying them and these folks keep making a profit, they will keep doing it. The only way to have it not happen is if no one buys the product. But that's probably not going to make them go back to fewer DLCs or DLCs with more content -- it'll just make them cancel the franchise.

I guess what I'm saying here is, in the game-dev world, the toothpaste is out of the tube now. There is no going back.

Do you work for EA? Why should we have to accept this cheap and sleazy form of marketing? SimGuruGrant threatened something like what you wrote, that if TS4 didn't sell well that there wouldn't be a TS5. The only reason why it's not as successful as any of the other iterations is because they cut so much out and released it virtually piecemeal. If they returned to the "recipe" of what made previous iterations a success, more people will buy them and make a good profit for EA once again.
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Did I already comment on this before? Oh well, I don't know :D

My unpopular opinions (in no specific order):
    • I don't like story progression
    • I already enjoyed the game before seasons came out
    • Pets didn't make the game better for me, in fact, I never cared about them, not in TS3, neither in TS4
    • Alpha cc looks terrible
    • I don't play legacies; I usually give up because playing a single sim in the beginning is too boring for my taste
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    Do you work for EA? Why should we have to accept this cheap and sleazy form of marketing? SimGuruGrant threatened something like what you wrote, that if TS4 didn't sell well that there wouldn't be a TS5. The only reason why it's not as successful as any of the other iterations is because they cut so much out and released it virtually piecemeal.

Hey let's not go casting aspersions here. Accusing someone of working for EA is about as low as you can get.

I don't work for them. I detest them. I blame them for Bioware going from a great company that put out awesome RPGs to a lousy company that puts out garbage.

I'm not applauding the current state of game development. I'm just stating the reality of the situation. At this point, the model is locked in, much like the old days when the model was distributing game boxes with thick rulebooks and and floppy disks. It may change some day to something else, but right now, ALL game companies are putting out minimal "base" games and then expanding them with DLCs. TS4 may have been a more severe version of this, which was part of what has upset everyone, but EA/Maxis are not the only ones doing this. I can state this fact for what it is, without liking it.

And you don't have to accept the sleazy marketing. You can refuse to buy it. You can reject any game that has DLC. If enough people did that, companies would have to come up with a new model.

But right now, people are all over DLC -- they seem to like it, based on the sales patterns. So you and I are in the minority. Again, I can recognize this fact and state that it is so, without supporting the current model.

As for the whole "If you don't buy and support TS4 there will be no TS5." I consider that no threat. If I didn't like TS4, why would I want the people who made it, to make another one?
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    My unpopular opinions

I don't care about any other supernaturals being added

I don't want to follow my kids to school...please NO.

I have yet to enjoy a pet expansion in the entire series ugh 1, 2 and 3 included.

I don't care about story progression at all. I rather it never get added but as long as I can turn it off I am ok.

Playing one family (legacies) is SOOOOO boring.

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Unpopular opinions? Well, you asked for it...
    • The game is too realistic
    • The game needs more spontaneity other than death calls/party calls/restaurant calls
    • I don't want to follow the kids/teens to school. I work in a school - I get enough school as it is.
    • Laundry is boring
    • Most CC looks horrible
    • I don't like mods
    • I need to see my baby and pets' needs without having a high parenting skill
    • I don't mind that Quarterly Teasers are gone
    • I don't want a vacation EP or anything regarding pools/outdoors
    • I don't want a farming pack
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    My opinions..

1. TS4 has never, and will never be a game where love was put into it like TS2 (and somewhat 3)
    2. The Sims of this game are shallow and their is not much uniqueness from sim to sim
    3. The packs are half-baked, but double charged.
    4. The "emotions" system is joke. It's just an interaction triggered, over-exaggerated showing of animations and emotions
    5. The main focus on this game was clearly CAS. If it had a color-wheel, it'd nearly be perfect. (With more traits and aspirations too)
    6. To this day, I cannot believe how much is missing from this game.
  • Options
    shaebee10shaebee10 Posts: 22 Member
    How come this thread went from ‘unpopular opinions’ to ‘opinions constantly talked about and an excuse to crap on sims 4’ like what happened
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2018
    shaebee10 wrote: »
    How come this thread went from ‘unpopular opinions’ to ‘opinions constantly talked about and an excuse to plum on sims 4’ like what happened

Because it is still an opinion whether or not it put Sims 4 in a good light or not, Sims4 is good for some and it is not for others.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    peeanggpeeangg Posts: 66 Member
    I miss when the sims was darker like in the sims 1
  • Options
    shaebee10shaebee10 Posts: 22 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    How come this thread went from ‘unpopular opinions’ to ‘opinions constantly talked about and an excuse to plum on sims 4’ like what happened

Because it is still an opinion whether or not it put Sims 4 in a good light or not. Sims4 is good for some and it is not for others.

But they aren’t unpopular like..most of the community agrees with those opinions. Not saying disliking sims 4 isn’t a unpopular opinion. But the opinions these people are saying are POPULAR. Not unpopular. At least on this forum their popular.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    My opinions..

1. TS4 has never, and will never be a game where love was put into it like TS2 (and somewhat 3)
    2. The Sims of this game are shallow and their is not much uniqueness from sim to sim
    3. The packs are half-baked, but double charged.
    4. The "emotions" system is joke. It's just an interaction triggered, over-exaggerated showing of animations and emotions
    5. The main focus on this game was clearly CAS. If it had a color-wheel, it'd nearly be perfect. (With more traits and aspirations too)
    6. To this day, I cannot believe how much is missing from this game.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes
    To all six...
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Hi folks, when you discuss another person or group of people it's no longer an appropriate conversation to have on the forum. I've removed a few posts but would ask you to please take care not to make posts personal going forward. Thanks.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• Options
    buhlynnduhbuhlynnduh Posts: 90 Member
    My opinions on this game:

1.normal life length is a tad too short, and I feel long is overkill. There needs to be a medium between them, like “kinda long, but not too long.”
    2. I feel like maybe I’m the ONLY simmer that plays without any mods or CC. Idk, I feel like I enjoy the game enough without them, and am lazy about having to fix them every time there is a game update, so I just don’t have them.
    3. I LOVE CAS. The only thing I really miss is more hair color options, like in Sims3 you could create your own personal hair colors and I had a very many with highlights and ombré and things like that.
    4. We need more jobs! We need more jobs. Please, just patch in more job options, and more aspirations, cause I’m tired of these. More traits wouldn’t hurt either honestly. I feel like I could probably make a list of ones you could use.
    5. The dogs in pets suck, and need way more attention than they should. I’m a dog person, but in this game my main households only own cats cause I can’t deal with the amount of work the dogs are.
    6. Sims4 is better than sims3. I said it, you can hate me for it, but idk, I feel like this game has more... playability than sims3 to me.
    7. I bought all the supernaturals, and I never play them in my game and find them useless to the story I am telling. Maybe that might change so I love having the option, but I have no clue why I bought vampires, or get to work, cause I don’t use the aliens, the follow to work, or vampires. Maybe I just wanted the stuff that came with them. Idk.
  • Options
    NNT122NNT122 Posts: 4 New Member
    Unpopular opinion (maybe not thattt unpopular but here goes)... I really don't like it when the Sims "overdoes" their worlds. Take Windenburg for example, it is so beautiful yet near the harbour I think they go wayyy overboard with weird sculptures and tacky colours. They do the same in Brindleton Bay, San Myshuno, and Oasis Springs (I'm not too upset about the last because I've downloaded an empty world mod - please link if you know of anymore of these to clear out the junk from other expansion pack worlds!!!)

I don't know why but it's just frustrated me for the longest time. The game is supposed to be about creating the story/world for the sims ourselves and everyone has different things they like to do, so I wish it was more of a blank canvas? I hate it when I build something beautiful but something outside the lot just screws up the general aesthetic of the build. I wish the Sims would just allow players to truly create our own worlds since there is no tool to actually do that yet...check out HazzaPlumbob's CAW concept:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JuXhDzUxMP71FtmTmjLbfNT7JQZvZ4xU/view
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Why are people talking about story progression? Is TS4 unpoluar opinions, not TS3
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2021
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

Because it is still an opinion whether or not it put Sims 4 in a good light or not. Sims4 is good for some and it is not for others.

But they aren’t unpopular like..most of the community agrees with those opinions. Not saying disliking sims 4 isn’t a unpopular opinion. But the opinions these people are saying are POPULAR. Not unpopular. At least on this forum their popular.

I understand what you are saying. Over the last few years it has become more popular to dislike TS4 instead of love it. But for the most part of these past seven years anyone who disliked TS4 in any way was told to get off the forums go back to TS2 or TS3. It's why disliking some or all of TS4 became an unpopular opinion.

No matter what Maxis did or how many bugs happened Maxis got a pass on these forums. It was 'unpopular' to even mention any poorly done feature by developers until gamechangers started to realize they could get more clicks (and money) if they too would just tell the truth about TS4 and stop squealing over something like a white shelf. The praise for TS4 was ad nauseam no mater how lame, and or poorly done and bug infested any pack or patch was done. Let's never forget the term 'haters'. It was very unpopular to say one word against TS4.

My unpopular opinion though I might have already said it, I don't need open world to enjoy a life simulator.
    I don't have to have 44 packs of DLC and hundreds of dollars to enjoy a game...TS2 is evidence of that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Why are people talking about story progression? Is TS4 unpoluar opinions, not TS3

Because thousands of TS4 players want SP in TS4. It's been requested many, many times. They use a mod for TS4 to make that happen. Go figure, it is one of the reasons people disliked TS3 and moved to TS4 but now want it for several years.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Renato10 wrote: »

Because thousands of TS4 players want SP in TS4. It's been requested many, many times. They use a mod for TS4 to make that happen. Go figure, it is one of the reasons people disliked TS3 and moved to TS4 but now want it for several years.

I actually liked in TS3 and I need it back in TS4. The best way to play TS2 is, in my opinion, the rotative style so It doesn't bother me that story progression isn't there. TS3 is better if you play with a single family for many generations because there's so much layers of gameplay to explore in those big worlds, so having story progression is a plus! In TS4 as it is now it is bad in one way or another. Playing rotatively is tedious because of the world system and playing TS3 style is also bad because it lacks story progression. TS4 is kinda like TS1but with big problems.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited July 2021
    I believe the unpopular opinion is NOT wanting story progression (I'm actually one of those rare specimen that doesn't want story progression). The majority of Sims players seem to want story progression make a return. The latter opinion does not belong in this unpopular opinion thread though, it is just off topic.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    I believe the unpopular opinion is NOT wanting story progression (I'm actually one of those rare specimen that doesn't want story progression). The majority of Sims players seem to want story progression make a return. The latter opinion does not belong in this unpopular opinion thread though, it is just off topic.

Same. I don't want it either. I think many rotational players, typically from Sims 2, tend to not want it because it interferes with our played households. I think it's mostly Sims 3 players who want it because they're used to that play style.

Hmm. A new one just came to me and I don't know if it's unpopular or not; but I can't enjoy a Sims game if it limits me to only one household and I truly don't understand how anyone wouldn't get bored playing that way.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member
    edited July 2021
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think many rotational players, typically from Sims 2, tend to not want it because it interferes with our played households.
    @LiELF , to me as TS2 player who never played TS3 , I DO want story progression, but, only for unplayed households. as I am sick of having my sims great great grand kids to have same friends coming over after school what my sim had :D I know I can do that by allowing aging for unplayed sims, but then again I do not want them to be forever single either :)

And in TS2 the bolded part does happen, if you play rotationally. As in communitylots what ever drama happens, in background , with families you have not played yet or have already with current rotation, that stays, and even so , the family will start where you left them after finisher playing them, the relationship gains or hits, are there. :) I mean if you have played family A, now playing family B, in communitylot a sim from family A is flirting with someone, and gets caught, the relationship hit will be there when you open family A again :)

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I think many rotational players, typically from Sims 2, tend to not want it because it interferes with our played households.
    @LiELF , to me as TS2 player who never played TS3 , I DO want story progression, but, only for unplayed households. as I am sick of having my sims great great grand kids to have same friends coming over after school what my sim had :D I know I can do that by allowing aging for unplayed sims, but then again I do not want them to be forever single either :)

And in TS2 the bolded part does happen, if you play rotationally. As in communitylots what ever drama happens, in background , with families you have not played yet or have already with current rotation, that stays, and even so , the family will start where you left them after finisher playing them, the relationship gains or hits, are there. :) I mean if you have played family A, now playing family B, in communitylot a sim from family A is flirting with someone, and gets caught, the relationship hit will be there when you open family A again :)

Yes, that's true, but that never bothered me because my Sims were still behaving the way I created them. But they weren't getting jobs or changing lifestyles or moving out or getting married or having children or anything drastic like that. Those are the kinds of things that make me want to peel my own face off, lol. I wouldn't care if Story Progression only affected nonsense generated Sims and premade townies. But if it came down to a choice where having SP sometimes affected my other households or else not having it all, I'd rather not have it. I really loved Sims 2's style for rotational gameplay.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member

Yes, that's true, but that never bothered me because my Sims were still behaving the way I created them. But they weren't getting jobs or changing lifestyles or moving out or getting married or having children or anything drastic like that. Those are the kinds of things that make me want to peel my own face off, lol. I wouldn't care if Story Progression only affected nonsense generated Sims and premade townies. But if it came down to a choice where having SP sometimes affected my other households or else not having it all, I'd rather not have it. I really loved Sims 2's style for rotational gameplay.
    Haha , indeed for those I would love to have SP :) Never to my played sims, I like to be the one who decides their faith :D

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    EA_MakoEA_Mako Posts: 846 EA Community Manager
    Hey folks, please be mindful of the age of a thread when posting in it.

Since this thread was a few years old it's been locked to prevent further necro-posting, but feel free to start a new thread if you're unable to find a more recent one on the topic you'd like to discuss. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top