Normally in modeling we start with in-game photos to form our basics (such as camera, set building, and lighting work), then make our way to editing, but we skip right over in-game these days and tend to not look back. To help people realize the potential of in-game photos, here is a competition with no major editing for you to enjoy! This competition is not meant to be difficult and is meant for everyone of all levels to enjoy thoroughly since major editing is not needed, only your ability to take good in-game photos and your creativity is required. Think of yourselves as full-time photographers now, not editors or models.
Due to limitations of the game, and CC, I will not be giving you hard assignments that would normally require a lot of editing. Instead, we will take a more laidback approach and focus on candid photography (), with a few modeling shots here and there. There is a chance that you will have to build majority of your sets, or do some shopping (if you use CC), but I think everyone should be able to handle the assignments just fine with the current options in-game. Also, the assignments should be base game friendly for all of the games, so do not worry if you don’t have many packs (in other words, I’m not expecting or forcing city based assignments, vampires, etc.). The only item I recommend is the Teleport Sim mod so you can get your sim into the right spots, but even if you don’t use it or want it, you should be fine. (You can use cheats to teleport your sim as well.) If you would like easy access to in-game animations, you can use the animation list included under the download of .
This competition is a cumulative comp, with 7 rounds total. Eliminations for final 3 take place after round 6.
Even though we are doing in-game only photos, I will allow you to do a bit of editing. This will include beauty modifications and corrections (such as skin smoothing or rough edges), filters (curves, gradients, flares, etc.), and final adjustments (such as borders, cropping, and sharpening). Any other editing, including drawing, will not be allowed. I list everything that is allowed down in the rules section under a spoiler, so please make sure to review it!
Since there is no major editing, and the game can be limiting in some ways (such as locations), I encourage you to be extra creative for your assignments, including using angles and lighting to their fullest!
- If you are just now joining us in the modeling competitions, please read my modeling guide located here. And here are Editing and Modeling Tutorials for those that need it.
- There is no roleplaying or storytelling required in this comp, unless you choose to do so. Short captions may be required at least once, but unlikely to happen (depends on assignments chosen).
- Our focus is primarily candid photography assignments, not modeling/fashion assignments, though there will be a few of those. Click for information on candid photography. Certain assignments are open for either a candid approach, or a modeling approach, and I will state each round what your options are.
- S2/S3/S4 models are allowed.
- You may use a different model for each round. Your application sim you submit is just for the model wall. Ages Teen/YA/Adult/Elder are allowed, any gender, and any size too. No supernatural/fantasy/sci-fi/etc. sims, and no berry sims. Sims can be from previous competitions and must be of your own creation.
- Remember that we do not alter the genetics in modeling (body shape/features, muscle, fat, etc. or skin color). Besides hair color/style and eyebrows, everything needs to be changed back to normal after the assignment (this includes contacts, tattoos, giving tans, etc.).
- CC is allowed and highly recommended, but not required.
- In-game only shots will be submitted. No CAS shots or Google backgrounds made into CC.
- No editing or drawing allowed, except for what is listed below the spoiler. You do not have to edit unless you choose to do so, or unless an assignment requires something (such as filters, or combining):
Beauty Modifications and Corrections = Skin smoothing, burning/dodging, rough edges (smudge tool is allowed), liquify/iWarp
Filters = Flares, curves/levels, brightness/contrast, gradients, blurs/sharpens, photo filter
Final Adjustments = Cropping, sharpening/blurring, borders, combining (if two or more images next to each other are required)
- Any editing that isn't on the exception list will result in a deduction from the Composition score. Edit: I've removed the zero penalty for cutting since it seemed a bit excessive and just made it 2.5 for everything. Cutting out sims or objects results in an automatic zero since it defeats the purpose of this comp, and other editing (like drawing) will result in 2.5 points being deducted (that way it is half of the score). Even after having 2.5 removed from that section, the judges will still score your composition, so it is possible to receive a Composition score lower than 2.5.
- Follow Community Rules: No cheating, no copying, no face/body plastering (includes simmerizing). (No photoskinning in this comp.)
- Follow Forum Rules: No nudity, no inappropriate content, no excessive blood. If you must do excessive blood or nudity for your assignment, post it on the Simmetry thread instead, or send it to me via pm.
- Assignments will be 5-7 days long, depending on the assignment and general speed of contestants. New rounds will be posted as soon as scoring starts, or once majority turn in. If you are confident that you won’t be eliminated, feel free to get a head start.
- Redos/resubmissions are allowed, but inform me when you do so and keep the idea mostly the same.
- Extensions need to be asked for at least 5+ hours in advance. Extensions last for 2 days unless you absolutely need more time, but please state so beforehand so we can work out the time.
- Late submissions are accepted if you submit before the judges send scores back to me, but please just ask for an extension instead of being late. If you have not submitted by the time scoring is finished, you receive a zero for that round, unless there is a valid reason such as an emergency or loss of internet, etc. Instead you will gain a low total, that way you have a chance to at least catch up if you work hard.
- Please avoid dropping or disappearing.
- Be respectful! No fighting, insulting, or belittling yourselves.
- Everything is due by 11:59 pm Arizona time (MST is closest time). I will include a timer, but here is a nifty timezone converter as well:
- If you have questions or concerns, say something! Don’t hesitate and cost yourself points or stress because you weren’t sure of something.
- Have fun!
Not Checked In