Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Editing & Modeling Tutorials ~

Comments

• MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    edited August 2015
    Completely agree Eli O_O
    And thank you @Minstrel!
    Oh, and I can see the full view. You're good!

I remembered I missed something in one of the tutorials. Will add that in a bit. Busy designing. xD *Runs back to CAS*
  • MinstrelMinstrel Posts: 126 Member
    @MizoreYukii @Eliavah Thanks you two <3
    Ugh, so drained.

@PeaceSign101 As you saw, I was busy with Runway all night. :sweat: I will get your tutorial up first thing in the morning. Sleep now. *Faceplants into ground and sleeps*
  • PeaceSign101PeaceSign101 Posts: 1,413 Member
    @Minstrel And I thought my assignments had meaning... XD Wonderful job this is beyond incredible! <3

@MizoreYukii Don't worry about the tutorial, sleep is super important! Take all the time you need and have a cookie and a hug <3:cookie:
    dmlX3n8.jpg

@Minstrel And I thought my assignments had meaning... XD Wonderful job this is beyond incredible! <3
    Aw, thank you so much. That means a lot to hear that! Glad my work paid off :smile:
    Okay, up! ^-^ Let me add in the missing part to the background tutorial and write your tutorial Cookie.

Then I gotta score the Challenge. ;o
    And then I have to do Mythos. :c
    And go shopping....
    And test the new cutting method.......etc.

Why does the to-do list never end? :confounded:
    edited August 2015
    Updates:
    • Seriously guys, if you see a spelling or wording error, please tell me. If something doesn't make sense or you are confused, please tell me. Either contact me or post here.
    • I updated the wording and added something to the scale options in the "Objects and Manipulating Them" tutorial. I also added this tip to the PS section because I forgot about it. PS users, please keep it in mind when working in the future.
      (Make sure to hold Ctrl, then click and hold to move it without PS relocating it. Let go of the left click button before letting go of Ctrl or it will slingshot back into place)
    • I updated the "Finding Backgrounds" tutorial with the missing part, located in Step 3 as a last trick, and fixed some wording/spelling errors.
      Trick:
      Lastly, here is a trick to make your sim look like she is behind something. I know this isn't obvious to some people, but this trick is super easy and I suggest to use it when working with object riddled backgrounds (so if you want her behind a log/rock, etc., just follow this method!).

If your background looks like this, then you realize that placing her in it and making it look believable is quite hard. Placing her to the side seems odd since it's a runway, but placing her in the middle isn't working because of the photographers.

Background.jpg~original

To fix this, begin by positioning your model (make sure she's cut out) exactly where you want her to be, which should be in the middle.
      Next, we want to either make her invisible or transparent. For invisible, turn off the layer by clicking on the eye. For transparent, reduce her opacity. For now, I'm turning the layer off.

backgroundtut2.png~original
      backgroundtut2.1.png~original

Make sure you are on your backgrounds layer. Now we are going to select the photographers. You can technically do this without selecting them, but that makes it harder. Use whatever method you think is easiest when selecting them. For PS I prefer to use my Quick Selection. For Gimp it's a little bit more difficult to select something like this, but I like to use my Scissors Select Tool or the lasso tool. Don't forget to zoom in when selecting so you can make sure you are getting everything. We don't want it to look odd, especially if the judges zoom in themselves.

backgroundtut3.png~original
      backgroundtut3.1.png~original

Once you've selected them, it's now time to turn our sim layer on again (or bring up the opacity). Once the layer is back to normal, we need to erase where the selection is. Grab your eraser, turn it to the hard brush, make sure you are on your sims layer, then begin erasing where you made the selection. Remember that selections make it so only the selected area is affected, so don't worry about erasing too much.

backgroundtut4.png~original
      backgroundtut4.1.png~original

Don't forget to deselect after erasing, and then you're done. She now looks like she was already in the background.

backgroundtut5.png~original
      backgroundtut5.1.png~original
    Post edited by MizoreYukii on
    edited July 2018
    Tutorial 8: Placing Images Side by Side (Both)
    Level: Beginner
    If you are still having trouble with something in this tutorial, or need more help, please post here or contact me.
    Click here for more tutorials

This is a request tutorial for @PeaceSign101!

Some of you may not know how to do this, and others probably already know. Either way, it’s not that difficult, and there are actually several ways to combine images, and you can even get fancy with borders and cool designs. We’re only covering the basic method though since we’re not doing collages or scrapbooks.

To start with, we’re doing two images. I want to place them side by side. First load your images up. You can load them individually, then drag the extra image over into the new file, or you can load them into a stack with scripts (PS) or open as a layer (Gimp). I’m going to start with my two images already in the image, so one is behind the other.

Next, in order to place them side by side, I need to expand the canvas. This is what allows you to gain more room when you need to place them together, or working with other multiple images, etc. Go up to your “Image” tab, then move down and click on “Canvas Size”.

canvastut.png~original

These pop ups will appear. It depends on how big your images are and what you’re doing with them that determines how large you should make the canvas. Feel free to make it as large as you want (don’t make it too large, the programs will slow down when trying to process that), and you can always go back and add more.
    • For Gimp: Where it says “Canvas Size” is where you alter the size. Type in the number or click and hold the arrows to move the size up and down. If you want the canvas to be even, make sure to click the chain lock. Messing with the offset allows you to re-position your image on the new canvas. Make sure “Resize Layers” is on “None” so your images aren’t warped.

canvastut2.png~original

• For PS: Unlike Gimp there’s not a lot of options to mess with when resizing the canvas. It automatically keeps the images in the center though, which Gimp doesn’t do. Here you can see that the popup likes inches rather than pixels. If you’d prefer to go back to pixels, use the drop down menu. Using inches can be helpful though, and allows you to do a larger canvas without typing in a lot of numbers. As you can see with inches though, the numbers are small compared to pixels. You will never need 400 inches or anything that large, so please don’t type in obscenely large numbers. Your PS will have a hard time loading something so large and will slow down or crash. Instead, keep your numbers below 100. I’ve never gone past 50 so far, but that’s usually because my sims/backgrounds are quite large. Also, relative allows you to start from 0 rather than trying to count how many inches/pixels you’ll need.

canvastut2.1.png~original

Once you’ve expanded your canvas, you now have a lot of room to move your pictures. Just take your images that you want to place side by side, line them up, and then you’re done! Don't forget to crop the transparent areas off when you're done working.

canvastut3.png~originalcanvastut3.1.png~original
    Post edited by MizoreYukii on
    Added some more info to the updates section. I forgot a tip for the "Objects" tutorial.
    @MizoreYukii Thank you so much! :D
    dmlX3n8.jpg

• LeslieM25LeslieM25 Posts: 2,766 Member
    Minstrel wrote: »
    Alright, so here is my assignment 2.

deLnuvk.jpg

I've really put my all in to this and tried quite a few new things in the process. I know I haven't pulled everything off flawlessly (looks at hair drawing) but I hope my effort counts for something! Hopefully the smaller details I've put into the work won't got unnoticed either. Overall I'm proud of this and I hope you really like it :smile:

The inspiration for this image was actually one of the images posted with the assignment (of the Elven lady) and I thought, hey, why not give fantasy a shot. It's basically meant to show her transformation from corruption and evil (the mask in her hand) to beauty and purity etc.

(Oh, and a little story about her clothing - or lack off it. When I first started editing this image (which was before all the tutorials were up, oops!) She was completely nude. I didn't even take notice of it while I was completing the hair drawing. I decided to do some CC hunting but eventually came to realise that the whole almost-completely-naked thing worked perfectly as she's meant to be stripping off her outershell. Anyway, some edited in undergarments later and I've found that her clothing also works perfectly as I can show of the water effect on her torso and arms)

P.S. I'm still confused whether or not you can view the whole image. I've put it in a public album on my Imugr account so hopefully that should work?

P.P.S. Sorry to ramble, but the wings being cut off was not a mistake. In CAS I couldn't zoom far enough out, and the pose/wings just didn't seem to want to work in game. So if points are deducted for that I won't be surprised.
    This is so beautiful! I love it! The only thing I can say is to warp her reflection a little to make it look a little more a part of the water and maybe add some of your own ripples to the water. You can look at my last survivor entry to see what I'm talking about. Other than that, it is VERY well done. I'm impressed! :smiley:
    Come check out my poses and more on my Simblr!
    http://lesliem25.tumblr.com/
    GqsONVc.gif
    edited August 2015
    LeslieM25 wrote: »
    This is so beautiful! I love it! The only thing I can say is to warp her reflection a little to make it look a little more a part of the water and maybe add some of your own ripples to the water. You can look at my last survivor entry to see what I'm talking about. Other than that, it is VERY well done. I'm impressed! :smiley:

Thank you! Yeah, I really wish I could have made the reflection look more like part of he water. I could have looked at a tutorial but if I began doing that for every little detail I would never have finished it :lol: I will find out how to do it though for future reference!

Oh and also I did add my own ripples to the water. I can't remember if I said (not are if its obvious or not) but the rain and splashing in the water was no originally there, I added that in myself :smile:
    @Minstrel There's a plug-in for PS that we use that does ripples, reflections, etc. for you. ^-^ I'll be talking about it later, but I'm most likely moving it up to week 3 since week 3 is not very large so far. If not, it will be here week 4.

I think Maggie said she found one for Gimp too, so I'll make sure to ask her what plug-ins and brushes she uses.

A2 and C2 are due the 24th, that's in 3 more days! If you guys need an extension, please ask now so I can extend it. Don't be afraid to ask either!
    @PeaceSign101 @BobSkellington @PurpleKenzie19 @Gemmabubbles @ayeden @BabyCarrotz @Amazingamphy
    @MizoreYukii How long can our extensions be? :#
    dmlX3n8.jpg

@PeaceSign101 Depends. If we get multiple people asking I'll extend it for a longer period, like a week, but if it's just you I'd need to know how many days you need.
    @PeaceSign101 Depends. If we get multiple people asking I'll extend it for a longer period, like a week, but if it's just you I'd need to know how many days you need.

Okay. I wont be able to work on my assignment for a week starting on Sunday. So yeah. Depending on when you need to know if extensions are needed, I'll see if I need an extension or not.

dmlX3n8.jpg

Okay. I wont be able to work on my assignment for a week starting on Sunday. So yeah. Depending on when you need to know if extensions are needed, I'll see if I need an extension or not.

Where are you at in your photo? You talked to me about your background, so you should just be working on your sims and cutting them out, right?

Where are you at in your photo? You talked to me about your background, so you should just be working on your sims and cutting them out, right?

Well, I got my background to the red and I'm about to add something else, and yes then I would be moved on to the sim and cutting her out. I will probably finish it on Saturday, but I'm scared that something will come up and I won't be able to finish it :grimace:
    dmlX3n8.jpg

Well, I got my background to the red and I'm about to add something else, and yes then I would be moved on to the sim and cutting her out. I will probably finish it on Saturday, but I'm scared that something will come up and I won't be able to finish it :grimace:
    Hmmm...Well if you don't finish it by Saturday we can give an extension. Hopefully you do though. ;o If we get another person requesting though I'll just extend it. How long of a week though? The full 7 days from Sunday to Saturday, or a work week, which is 5?

Hmmm...Well if you don't finish it by Saturday we can give an extension. Hopefully you do though. ;o If we get another person requesting though I'll just extend it. How long of a week though? The full 7 days from Sunday to Saturday, or a work week, which is 5?

The full 7 days.
    dmlX3n8.jpg

@MizoreYukii Ok that's sounds great :smile: The reflection in my image is really annoying me now, it just looks like a mirror.. *wishes I had checked everything more thoroughly*
  • AmazingamphyAmazingamphy Posts: 1,733 Member
    Why am I always on vacation near the deadline? Anyway, I need an extension till Monday.
    HmypxT0.png
    Gone from this place and never coming back. P5 is good
    @Amazingamphy I'm not sure? The date hasn't changed since I opened A2 though. So an extension till which Monday? This Monday, the 24th? or next Monday, the 31st? A2/C2 due date is Monday, August 24th, so if you meant this Monday you're on time.

I really need to add the extensions and long vacation days to the Modeling Guide. @_@
  • AmazingamphyAmazingamphy Posts: 1,733 Member
    I guess I don't need an extension then! :)
    HmypxT0.png
    Gone from this place and never coming back. P5 is good