Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Official Rules: 50 Foals Challenge (updated for TS4!)

RawlaRawla Posts: 7,495 Member
50foalchallengebanner1.png?width=720&height=330
Howdy! Rawla here. I am super glad you found your way here! <3

I once created The 50 Foal Challenge for TS3 many years ago now. With horses finally coming to TS4 I am delighted to share this challenge with you here. There have been several adjustments I hope you will like and more freedom to play as you wish as well. With the pack not coming out until tomorrow, I might have to adjust a few rules to accommodate any new features I have not discovered yet. This is a WIP.

Saddle your horses, here we go!

OFFICIAL RULES: :smiley:
The Sims Horse Ranch Expansion Pack is required to play this challenge. Cottage Living pack is recommended but not required.
1. Create in CAS one Sim, and two horses. One stallion and one mare. This pair of horses will produce as many foals as they can. Then they will pass the torch onto one of their offspring to carry on. The offspring's mate may be bought/rescued in-game but not created in CAS. You may take as many generations as you wish to accomplish this ultimate goal of birthing 50 foals in game. You can play this on short, normal, long or custom lifespan. [ Alternative strategies for this can be seen below. ]

2. The starting funds are up for you to decide.
- you can take a loan to give yourself more.
- you can start with what you have after being made in cas
- you can delete everything and start with nothing.

3. You may choose to sell, give away, etc each foal after it ages up into adulthood. Do not give away/sell a foal. Make sure it grows up first.
- [Optional] If you are wishing to speed run this challenge, there is now an option to do so. But you have to work for it. It's not a free pass. IF you can get a foal's temperament skill up to level 4 before it ages up naturally, you may then sell your foal without waiting for it to grow up, since it can now feed itself from the hay trough and will be okay without its mother.

4. Your Sim can be any age with any traits. But YA is suggested so they can live longer and take care of all the horses/foals that will come to be under their care. Yes, other Sims may join your household through in-game methods. Raising an heir and make this a generational family ranch challenge is allowed. If you only wish to use one Sim, life extensions for your Sim (not horses) are allowed.

5. Your Sim and any other sims may NOT choose a career. Their main job is to care for their growing ranch. They are allowed to collect, garden, paint, fish, compete, make nectar, etc. for extra simoleons if desired.

6. You may sell or use produce from the other non-horse farm animals if you choose to buy and care for them. You will have extra work if you do but if you are up for the extra challenge that will bring, go for it! [Goat Milk, Sheep Wool, Bee Honey etc.]

7. You may choose whichever Lot you wish for your Ranch. You may also move your ranch location at a later time if you wish to downsize or expand. I suggest staying in Chestnut Ridge world for this challenge but it is not a rule. You may choose to live anywhere.

8. Yes, your Sim may have other pets besides horses if you wish. [ See Optional Side Challenge #3 for optional goal. ]

9. Yes you may go to Edit World and create more households for the town (with or without animals/horses). Do not add Sims or future pets to your active household in Edit Household (except to fix a horrible glitch). Instead use in-game methods to add Sims or animals only.

10. Yes you may hire ranch hands & other employees as you wish.

11. You can use life extending means in-game for your Sim (but not horses) so they can still be around to care for them. OR You can opt to pass your founder's torch to the next generation by getting married and having an heir the old fashioned way. Try for baby after getting married OR adoptions. No science babies in this wild west. If your Sim were to birth a baby from an alien abduction pregnancy, it's still your child, right? So they can still be eligible for heir if you wish. But wow, think of the story rumors in that town for a while. :wink:

12. Yes, you can do community jobs.

The following are Alternative Challenge Strategies that you might like to try. Or you can create your own. The ultimate goal is to birth in-game, 50 foals. Have fun!

*NEW* - Wildcard Strategy
The Power of Two - Create two mares (and one stallion) instead of one. The second mare can also be created in CAS or purchased/rescued in-game. Each mare will have the goal to produce 25 foals for a combined total of 50. [ Will need to playtest to see if life extensions are possible for horses. You might need to turn off animal aging to make this possible. ]

Five Mares - Use five mares (not stallions). Each mare must produce 10 foals. All the mares may use the same stallions for breeding, but each mare may only use each stallion once.
The first mare must be created in CAS along with your founding Sim. The other four mares may be rescued, bought or born into the household. (They do NOT have to be producing foals at the same time. You can use the 'next generation' card for choosing your mares if you wish.) All other rules of the challenge will apply.

Generational Trio - Create in CAS one Sim, and three horses. One stallion and two mares. This trio of horses will produce as many foals as they can. Then they will pass the torch onto one of their sons (colt/stallion) or two of their daughters (filly/mare) to carry on. The offsprings' mates may be bought/rescued in-game but not created in CAS. 50 foals is still the goal but you may use only a dedicated trio each generation to achieve it. You may take as many generations as you wish to accomplish this ultimate goal. Have fun!

Through the One Comes Many - Create one Sim and one Mare/Stallion in CAS to begin. Each foal should have a different sire (father). Or dam (mother) if your horse is male. Your Mare/Stallion's ultimate goal is to have 50 foals.
(IF you only use one mare/stallion to create all 50 foals you may use a life extension on them if one exists. I don't know if one does, do you? I'll have to edit this later.)
For those that use Stallions as their Founding horse, the mare that is impregnated must belong to the household at the time of birth. You can sell her afterwards if you wish. But that means bottle-feeding the foal.

Rescue Me - For a harder strategy, use only rescued horses for your starting pair and all future mates. Rescues are cheaper but supposedly have more bad traits to deal with.

Legacy Ranch - Start with one Sim & one Horse (either gender). You will rescue or purchase your 2nd horse in the game. You will also find your Sim a husband/wife and start a family. This is called the Legacy Ranch strategy and it is exactly how it sounds. Like a true legacy there will be 10 generations of Sims. You must have your horses birth 5 foals each generation. At the end of the 10 Sim generations you will have had 50 foals. (Yes, you may have more than 5 foals in a single generation but only 5 in a single generation will count towards the total goal.)

* NEW * Wildcard Strategy... - The Dude Ranch
You will begin with One Sim only. (Teen-Adult) Congrats you've inherited a rundown Dude Ranch. Everything was destroyed in 'The Great Tornado', except for one camping spot. Buy horses, raise horses [50], sell them. Bring it back to life.

You will purchase the 64x64 lot in Chestnut Ridge world. Do NOT bulldoze when you move in. You will want that partial fence and sign at the entrance.

You will purchase one of each at the very beginning before you push play:
  • Under The Stars Bedroll Sleeping Bag §140
  • Outside trash can §(your choice)
  • Dual Duel Public Outhouse §1,300
  • Barrelwood Shower §350
  • Trailboss Firebox Grill §880 -OR- Rustic Fire Pit §350.
  • Happy Camper Picnic Table §225
  • Ranch Community Board §100

After placing all items from your purchase list, you must drop your money down to §1500. It is your entire life savings that you brought with you.
Lot Challenges you must have: Wild Prairie Grass

You must buy your first horse(s) in the game when you are ready.
Yes, you can do community jobs, collect items in the world, harvest prairie grass and all other non-career money making ways you can think of in your story world that you create.
Yes you can get married.
Yes you can have a child(ren).
Yes you can adopt a child(ren).
Yes you can do this challenge over more than one generation.
Yes you may use Potion of Youths.
Yes, you can use short, normal, long or custom lifespan.

No, you may not take any loans with this strategy.
No, you may not travel to any other world. Chestnut Ridge is your entire world. (Optional: Henford-on-Bagley is allowed)

The Dude Ranch is now posted in its own stand-alone challenge. You can find it here!

Optional Side Challenges

These are optional and for those that want a harder challenge (and more points). Like 50 foals isn't hard enough! :sweat_smile:

1. Complete the Championship Rider aspiration.

2. Get 1st place in the Ultimate Horse Championship with two different horses.

3. You must have your Sim get married and raise at least two children to teenagers.

4. Your Sim must purchase and care for at least one of every animal listed until they die of old age: Cow, Llama, Chicken, Goat, Sheep

5. Purchase and care for 5 mini sheep or goats until they pass from old age.

Do you want to try one of these? How about all of them? Have fun!

For those that like to play for points:
Each foal born on your ranch and raised to adult +1 points
Each Rescue horse (any age) you give a forever home to until their natural death. +1 point
Each horse you can get to place (1st, 2nd or 3rd) in the Ultimate Horse championship competition +1 point
Each Sim you can get to Level 10 horse riding skill +1
Each Optional Side Challenge (listed above) completed +10 points
Each animal taken or dying from neglect -10
Each horse that runs away -5
A runaway horse returns +1

If you have any questions feel free to post here and either I or another experienced member of the 50F community can answer it for you. If you create a thread, blog or story please share your links/updates and fun facts on how you are doing in this thread, so we can follow along. I wish you all the best! Have fun all you Horse-Loving Simmers! I look forward to hearing from you all. <3

:smiley:
Post edited by Rawla on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    :open_mouth:*Important Notes* :open_mouth:

1. If you are having an issue where the horse/foal you wish to sell just disappears without giving you any funds...
    *Important* - The way to sell properly is to unlock any doors/gates for that horse/foal and then sell. They will travel to the lot's edge and you will then receive the sale price for them. You will also see this message (pic below) letting you know the sale was successful.

image.png

2. If you are posting more than a few pictures please...
    Don't forget to put your pics/updates in spoiler tags if there are several pics please. I'd cry if those in oversight of the forums were to delete your posts or the thread itself because of too many popping up without spoilers. Everyone's pics are so beautiful! That being said, with spoilers in use, please feel free to share ALL the pics. I love them so much! <3

Spoiler tags can be placed around your entire post or just each picture you share like this (but without the *) [*spoiler] picture/words here [*/spoiler]

Note: I will be doing some extensive playtesting for this in the coming days/weeks/months. If you would like to add your insight and comments regarding the rules, if you have an adjustment suggestion, or if you have any questions I haven't addressed yet, please feel free to comment. I welcome your thoughts.

For the old TS3 rules, you can find them here: 50 Foals Challenge TS3
    Post edited by Rawla on
  • Options
    WinterKhirinWinterKhirin Posts: 248 Member
    edited July 2023
    Definitely going to follow along as I loved doing this in the Sims 3 haha. SO excited about horses!!!

Commenting so I don't forget to look over everything and offer any comments when it's not late at night -.-
    Owlenmoon is the house which most values creativity and wisdom. They're intellectual and introspective, and can find poetry in situations that may appear irrelevant to others. They're also good at making things more complicated than what they're supposed to be.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    @WinterKhirin Hi! Welcome back! :smiley:

This is Abigail Free and her starting horses, Rebel & Angel. We've chosen to start our ranch on the 64x64 lot in Chestnut Ridge.

image.png?width=268&height=353

More Pictures:

image.png?width=1191&height=670

image.png?width=1440&height=613

image.png?width=536&height=352
    Post edited by Rawla on
  • Options
    Ok, so finally read through it all and will get a chance to sit down and play. I think I will do the one mare and one stallion, but only let them have as many foals as their own age will allow naturally. I love having generations to look back on. And then the idea of the sim having a family alongside them sounds fun to me too... Question though, starting funds? Things like that. Can they start off with their normal starting funds in order to build a basic starter ranch, or are we starting with nothing and working our way up?
    Owlenmoon is the house which most values creativity and wisdom. They're intellectual and introspective, and can find poetry in situations that may appear irrelevant to others. They're also good at making things more complicated than what they're supposed to be.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Ok, so finally read through it all and will get a chance to sit down and play. I think I will do the one mare and one stallion, but only let them have as many foals as their own age will allow naturally. I love having generations to look back on. And then the idea of the sim having a family alongside them sounds fun to me too... Question though, starting funds? Things like that. Can they start off with their normal starting funds in order to build a basic starter ranch, or are we starting with nothing and working our way up?

The starting funds are up to you to decide.
    1. you can take a loan to give yourself more.
    2. you can start with what you have after being made in cas
    3. you can delete everything and start with nothing.

I've added the above to the rules to make it more clear. Thanks for asking! <3
  • Options
    JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    Thank you so much! This challenge was so much fun in the Sims 3. Im definitely trying it in the Sims 4 too. Bookmarked.
  • Options
    @Jadeleine - You are very welcome. I'm so glad you are back! :smiley:
  • Options
    Well, here is my start. Willow and her two horses Ranger (paint) and Misty (mustang). Made a humble little place and two stalls with the starting funds and a $5k loan that she will work on repaying slowly over time.
    QVezBmj.png

• Options
    edited July 2023
    @WinterKhirin - Oh my goodness! Your horses are so beautiful. I especially love how Misty looks. <3
    P.S. Your Sim is very pretty too. I totally forgot to look at the Sim. I was too busy gawking at your horses. :D
  • Options
    Angel and Rebel had their first foal. Her name is Lily and she acquired the breed-only trait: Playful

image.png?width=491&height=335
  • Options
    JadeleineJadeleine Posts: 2,140 Member
    edited July 2023
    50 foals With Rose Meadow. Stallions name is Cha Cha Cha and Mares name is Salsa. They are both pure Missouri Foxtrotters. The family also has a labrador called Sadie. She loves to hunt and has already helped a lot by bringing bird feathers. They make great profit when sold. Rose started gargen to finance the farm expenses.

SYslnPE.png

It was very exiting moment when the very first foal was born, its a colt named Speedy.

eY0KiKT.png
  • Options
    @Jadeleine - Awww your founding horse couple is named after dances! I love the color Cha Cha Cha's mane against his chestnut coat color. He is very handsome. Sadie's interaction with Rose Meadow is so adorable. And your first foal! <3
  • Options
    LewanaM00nLewanaM00n Posts: 321 Member
    I was waiting for this! I'm building my ranch right now :)
  • Options
    @LewanaM00n - Welcome! I'm excited to see your ranch.
  • Options
    Update on my test ranch:

We're up to four foals on the ranch. Two are all white. One is white with black mane and tail. The youngest is dark bay/black. <3 Angel, their dam/mother, is pregnant with another.

image.png?width=983&height=670
  • Options
    I have added a new strategy.

*NEW* Legacy Ranch - Start with one Sim & one Horse (either gender). You will rescue or purchase your 2nd horse in the game. You will also find your Sim a husband/wife and start a family. This is called the Legacy Ranch strategy and it is exactly how it sounds. Like a true legacy there will be 10 generations of Sims. You must have your horses birth 5 foals each generation. At the end of the 10 Sim generations you will have had 50 foals. (Yes, you may have more than 5 foals in a single generation but only 5 in a single generation will count towards the total goal.)
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I have playtested this and it's a go! There is now a fun option added onto rule #3.

*NEW* - [Optional] If you are wishing to speed run this challenge, there is now an option to do so. But you have to work for it. It's not a free pass. IF you can get a foal's temperament skill up to level 4 before it ages up naturally, you may then sell your foal without waiting for it to grow up, since it can now feed itself from the hay trough and will be okay without its mother.

Have fun!

Testing photos:

image.pngimage.png

Testing for speed run option complete. Success!

Thank you for being patient with me. <3
    Post edited by Rawla on
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    *Important* - If you are having an issue where the horse/foal you wish to sell just disappears without giving you any funds... The way to sell properly is to unlock any doors/gates for that horse/foal and then sell. They will travel to the lot's edge and you will then receive the sale price for them. You will also see this message (pic below) letting you know the sale was successful.

image.png
  • Options
    LewanaM00nLewanaM00n Posts: 321 Member
    edited July 2023
    This is my starting sim, Summer Meadow and her two horses, Roscoe the sooty buckskin Thoroughbred stallion and Dahlia, the dapple grey Welsh Cob mare. Summer also bought a mini-sheep and a mini-goat.

I built the ranch myself and the value is 50,000 Simoleons so Summer will have to repay that.

kalTu9F.png

TUnahW9.png

More pictures:
    MeHdaT1.png

ShD9gwU.png

ycP5QQo.png

2dFGHy0.png

eaFgvxF.png

nTjxnx9.png
    Post edited by LewanaM00n on
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    @LewanaM00n - I love your ranch family, two-legged and four. You did great on your barn. It looks great! <3
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    New Addition!

I have added another Optional Side Challenge.
    This one shouldn't be too hard on its own but with everything else that might be going on in your challenge, it could add some difficulty. Keep the little ones happy. They are precious. <3

"5. Purchase and care for 5 mini sheep or goats until they pass from old age."
  • Options
    VanillaChaiVanillaChai Posts: 177 Member
    I'm absolutely LOVING this challenge so far. I'm playing it as a multi-generational challenge and added a bit more difficulty to my playthrough by requiring the lot to have Simple Living and Off the Grid. I've never used either of those lot challenges and combined with horses, it's a LOT of work! The hardest part for me is letting go of my horses, though. I still haven't sold any and I'm running out of room. I know they're just pixels, but I raised those pixels from foals, darn it! Anyway, here are a few pics from my challenge so far, featuring Taylor Morgan, her horses Shadow, and Sunrise, and their first foal - Sunset <3
    2MezBkV.png

Bf6VHK5.png

7KN100F.png

5tdNU7s.png

MsJa8GO.png

7RpH4Uo.png

DAgwHGq.png

CsQufvr.png

QRDVcUO.png

eNPUaxi.png

QpSKCdi.png
    Currently Playing - Generation One of the Bloom Legacy

• Options
    solvorshsolvorsh Posts: 142 Member
    Just started this, gonna be so fun! But a small question: can we do community jobs? If we have cottage living, can we run errands?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    @VanillaChai - I LOVE your family! It's so fun that you chose to play with those extra lot challenges. I did not want to add them to the challenge but super glad you chose to brave the extra difficulty. I'm delighted to see more of your progress. I do not blame you for not wanting to let go of your four-legged babies. <3 They are precious, no matter how big they get.

@solvorsh - Hello! Welcome on in. :smiley: Yes, you can do community jobs and run errands. Thanks for asking. Have fun!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I have finally posted the Wildcard Strategy for this 50 Foal Challenge! This is also a stand-alone challenge that I am going to post in its own thread as well. If played as part of this 50 Foal Challenge, obviously the goal is to birth and raise a total of 50 foals. If you wish to play this as its own challenge, with a harder list of goals, I will be adding a few more details and rules and will post it soon. I'll post a link to that challenge here when it's up and ready.

Have fun!
    :smiley:

* NEW * Wildcard Strategy... - The Dude Ranch
    You will begin with One Sim only. (Teen-Adult) Congrats you've inherited a rundown Dude Ranch. Everything was destroyed in 'The Great Tornado', except for one camping spot. Buy horses, raise horses [50], sell them. Bring it back to life.

You will purchase the 64x64 lot in Chestnut Ridge world. Do NOT bulldoze when you move in. You will want that partial fence and sign at the entrance.

You will purchase one of each at the very beginning before you push play:
    • Under The Stars Bedroll Sleeping Bag §140
    • Outside trash can §(your choice)
    • Dual Duel Public Outhouse §1,300
    • Barrelwood Shower §350
    • Trailboss Firebox Grill §880 -OR- Rustic Fire Pit §350.
    • Happy Camper Picnic Table §225
    • Ranch Community Board §100

After placing all items from your purchase list, you must drop your money down to §1500. It is your entire life savings that you brought with you.
    Lot Challenges you must have: Wild Prairie Grass

You must buy your first horse(s) in the game when you are ready.
    Yes, you can do community jobs, collect items in the world, harvest prairie grass and all other non-career money making ways you can think of in your story world that you create.
    Yes you can get married.
    Yes you can have a child(ren).
    Yes you can adopt a child(ren).
    Yes you can do this challenge over more than one generation.
    Yes you may use Potion of Youths.

No, you may not take any loans with this strategy.
    No, you may not travel to any other world. Chestnut Ridge is your entire world. (Optional: Henford-on-Bagley is allowed)
    Post edited by Rawla on