Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will the arrival of toddlers change your opinion of TS4?

Comments

• Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    i've learned in those two years to be very cautious & rather not to expect ANYTHING from EA & those sims devs
    if TS4 will one day become playable for me, that would be AWESOME
    but i do not expect it

i am happy for players who missed todds
    i am happy that this sort of endurance, faith & commitment was rewarded :smile:

i miss unique sims with unique traits :cookie:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited January 2017
    Short answer: Yes and No

Long answer:
    I'll preface this by saying I think my Libra scales have me of two minds about this. Yes, I think it's fantastic that Simmers are finally getting what they've been asking for for 2 years and 3 months. And yes, from what I've read about them and seen in some videos, they do look super fleshed out and can do things that no other toddlers have been able to do in any iterations beforehand, but that's where the fantasticness stops for me.

I said to my OH that this is a brilliant marketing strategy by EA. Base game is shipped out without toddlers and it causes an uproar. Simmers (some) stop buying content, threaten to leave the franchise, so EA silently and quietly work on toddlers (probably for 2 years) while there is discontent in the community. EA releases toddlers, forums go mental, Simmers cry tears of joy, praise the devs for giving them what they want, forgetting that toddlers should have been there from the beginning (they're too happy to care). Absolute brilliance I said.

OH then proceeds to outline "MUG" on my forehead while saying it's dishonest and sly; I snap out of my reverie thinking about many of the things that should have, could have been in TS4 from the beginning to make it an EPIC successor in the series and hope beyond hope that they'll keep the good bits from all previous iterations to make an AMAZING next iteration.

I can't help but wonder if this is a ploy that EA will adopt moving forward; release an unfinished, empty base game and continue to patch things in that should have, could have been in the base game for free, surprising Simmers, getting their hopes up, and then surprising them. I'm not sure if that's a rollercoaster ride that I'm prepared to take.

The pessimist in me, says:
    No:
    - They shouldn't have released the base game without toddlers
    - Keeping silent about it was wrong and dishonest
    - There's still so much missing from the game (family players are happy, but what about other styles of play)
    - I can't stand how they look (art style)
    - This is a just a way to boost sales (it's working)

The optimist in me, says:
    Yes:
    - I'm super happy for Simmers that have been waiting for 2 years and 3 months
    - They are seemingly the most fleshed out toddlers this franchise has ever seen
    - Perhaps other play styles will get much needed attention now
    - Maybe EA has learned from its mistakes (this is a step in the right direction)
    - Perhaps they'll put as much detail into TS5 (and it won't be such a rush job) as they've put into TS4 toddlers (abilities, actions, etc)

But boy oh boy, what a surprise for the Simmers that have been hoping and wanting toddlers for 2 years and 3 months. Well played devs, well played!
  • Options
    PoppenPoppen Posts: 85 Member
    For me personally no, because for me no toddlers were a selling point. But after hearing the dissapointment and frustration of the community I really hoped for them and was happy to see them :)
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Not that I care of that life stage reintroduction, but knowing that they implanted the highly request thing for players and especally in a free update - I got some hope and faith restored for what there is to come for TS4 in the future. So... props and kudos for TS4 Development team.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    I'd like to say it will but that would be wrong. It's great that the toddlers have arrived and that the vampires are coming but as long as the colour wheel hasn't joined them in coming... :s
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    Well, I haven't played TS4 for over a year and the arrival of toddlers made me open the game again and actually play it for a few hours (when in the past few years I couldn't even play it for more than 10 minutes), without any mods (I had to take them out because I haven't updated anything in a long time), and that's saying something because I couldn't play this game without mods before. But well, obviously I was just testing the toddlers and seeing how they worked, but I still had a lot of fun because I feel like I can finally enjoy playing with families. I may actually buy a couple of packs soon and start playing again.

But toddlers were never going to fix everything that is wrong with this game. There are still a lot of problems that need to be addressed and lot of content that needs to be added, and they need to stop making things so limited and shallow (the apartments made me give up and lose all hope for this game) but toddlers is definitely a step in the right direction. After so many disappointments, I feel like there's finally a light at the end of tunnel, so they definitely got my attention back at least. Let's see if they manage to hold it.
  • Options
    faith4jesusfaith4jesus Posts: 95 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Now that Toddlers have arrived it will be interesting to see how the temperature of this forum will change.
    How does this announcement affect your opinion of the game overall?

I wrote this on another thread but I will say it again here. I'm the only one in my house that has played the Sims 4. My kids are 20, 17 & 15. I've been an active Sims player from the start. My kids joined in as soon as they were old enough. We homeschool and I've found it pretty educational. Today during lunch my middle daughter came to me wide eyed and said "MOM! They finally have toddlers in Sims 4! I'm going to play it now!" I was thrilled. I just replied "What? Are you sure?" I had to check for myself. I let her break the rules and start installing Sims 4 on her laptop so she could get playing as soon as possible. My oldest is 20 and in college. She's eager to get a new laptop soon so she can play too. I haven't played as often as I did Sims 3 but I think I might now. I've just fooled around just to see what is new and love it!
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    If I lost hope in this game, I would have left the forums awhile ago.

I think today really shows that TS4 is capable of great, positive change. It also shows how vital it is to provide feedback, and for there to be a positive, healthy relationship between developers and their fans. It truly pays off, in the end. Today has been a big success for EA/Maxis.
  • Options
    JacoSurJacoSur Posts: 48 Member
    A part of me is very happy because they are finally doing something good, and I wont have to read any more threads about toddlers.
    However, they should have been added since the beggining, so I can't really be 100% happy.
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    What I'm finding interesting so far as I read through the many threads is that opinions about the emotive system seems to have turned a corner as well.. It'll be interesting to see if that sentiment holds up over time.
  • Options
    MirichaMiricha Posts: 470 Member
    For me, yes. Toddlers aren't going to magically fix everything that's wrong with the game, but it's a definite improvement. I haven't played TS4 for months, but this has made me want to jump right back in. It's great that we're (finally) being listened to, and it sounds like the devs have paid attention to what people really wanted in toddlers. With vampires coming soon too, I'm actually looking forward to playing the game again.
    수리수리마수리 수수리 사바
    my new simblr
    lWAXrDZ.png
  • Options
    HaskorentaroHaskorentaro Posts: 250 Member
    Jestina wrote: »
    Nope. The games been out over two years and they haven't really done anything with it. A lot of stuff is still missing and they haven't even put out any decent expansions.

Exactly this, expansion packs are boring and over priced.
    They are catering to a certain group of simmers.
    tumblr_n5aovvMXfM1rwvdy0o1_500.gif
  • Options
    PotterheadSimPotterheadSim Posts: 320 Member
    I played the game this whole time and I did like it, but toddlers just make it better and more wholesome. 2017 will be a great year for sims community :)
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I'm still a family player at best but I was okay with the idea of maybe never seeing toddlers again. But after watching the new trailer for Toddlers and seeing the vampire toddlers....I'm shook. Like the Gurus really surprised and shut up a lot of players today haha. I actually got a message from a friend who hadn't played TS4 since GTW tell me about the update and she's literally about to go out and buy every pack since GTW (I reminded her that we have Uni starting up again and she should pace herself haha). Overall I'm excited and the one thing I was hoping for Toddlers if they ever returned was that they reminded me of the Freeplay Toddlers.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    I'm still a family player at best but I was okay with the idea of maybe never seeing toddlers again. But after watching the new trailer for Toddlers and seeing the vampire toddlers....I'm shook. Like the Gurus really surprised and shut up a lot of players today haha. I actually got a message from a friend who hadn't played TS4 since GTW tell me about the update and she's literally about to go out and buy every pack since GTW (I reminded her that we have Uni starting up again and she should pace herself haha). Overall I'm excited and the one thing I was hoping for Toddlers if they ever returned was that they reminded me of the Freeplay Toddlers.

Nah. I'm still grumbling in the corner but I'm okay to be in the minority.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    TayTayGeeTayTayGee Posts: 313 Member
    I will be playing the sims 4
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Maybe this shows a positive that since some changes were made in the higher up management of the sims 4 that there is positive change. My opinion was that it was played for my enjoyment, it will still be played for my enjoyment. But with better quality, I will just enjoy it that much more
  • Options
    JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    I'm not really interested in vampires after the 3 fiasco. I had to uninstall Late Night until they put a fix in to stop vampires from breeding and ruining your town. But since there's no story progression in 4 I guess that wouldn't become an issue.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Not for me personally.
    I still feel there is a lot missing, and to be 100% honest, I still feel with each release that people are being nickel and dimed. I think there was far too much of a bare base game rather than something strong to build on and expand rather than "replace", and I feel that too much is being "sold" back rather than just patched back.

I also loathe Origin and the fact that the game is tied to that filthy platform is a huge turn off for me. I could understand games like ME3 that have a multiplayer component ( even though I hate it needing OG ) which is the only reason I have Origin installed, but a single player game like sims shouldn't be tied to it in my opinion. Others don't care. Some are indifferent. Your mileage may vary. I despise it.

That said, I believe the reintroduction of a missing life stage is a very big step forward for the game, and am very happy to be proven wrong about them being left out for good. You only need look and see what a massive difference it has made to the overall tone of the forum. People are excited and happy and for many it's made a big difference. Some are reinstalling after months of feeling let down, bored or ignored.
    Sadly, it isn't really enough to make me buy, but I am happy for those who have waited so long for this day.
    Good for you guys! :)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    zeppelin123zeppelin123 Posts: 864 Member
    I have always enjoyed TS4 with the emotions and advanced graphics but this puts it on par with the other sims games. Now I think I will finally uninstall my TS2 and TS3 and give myself disk space for more TS4 stuff.
  • Options
    NotLoudonWainwrightNotLoudonWainwright Posts: 863 Member
    Not at all. I already thought TS4 was the best game on the market before toddlers were introduced.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @aricarai Good reply :smiley:

As you said from a pessimistic point of view it was wrong to not include toddlers in the base game just as it was wrong to miss a lot of things. As I said before, it was a mistake starting with Olympus. Had they developed TS4 as a successor to TS3, things would be very different and a lot better going.

Is this a marketing ploy? Maybe but if so, no different to any other marketing strategy in the industry. At least this is one way of enhancing sales by actually enhancing the game. The addition of toddlers here does not seem to harm the game and they are fee after all which is generous. More communication along the way would have been nice, even though they have to remain quiet on new content until it is announced.

I have no idea how things will work out for the game in the long term although I do think that things will improve steadily and for a lot of players, they will be more content with furure content.

A lot of disapiintment was with the loss of toddlers and less family play and for a long time if anything was announced; 'if it is not toddlers then it is not good enough'

Those days are over now but there is still room for improvement. The teens are still the same height as adults, babies are still objects, the new apartments cannot be edited and the workds remain closed.

'Watch this space' is what I am thinking at the moment
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @aricarai Good reply :smiley:

As you said from a pessimistic point of view it was wrong to not include toddlers in the base game just as it was wrong to miss a lot of things. As I said before, it was a mistake starting with Olympus. Had they developed TS4 as a successor to TS3, things would be very different and a lot better going.

Is this a marketing ploy? Maybe but if so, no different to any other marketing strategy in the industry. At least this is one way of enhancing sales by actually enhancing the game. The addition of toddlers here does not seem to harm the game and they are fee after all which is generous. More communication along the way would have been nice, even though they have to remain quiet on new content until it is announced.

I have no idea how things will work out for the game in the long term although I do think that things will improve steadily and for a lot of players, they will be more content with furure content.

A lot of disapiintment was with the loss of toddlers and less family play and for a long time if anything was announced; 'if it is not toddlers then it is not good enough'

Those days are over now but there is still room for improvement. The teens are still the same height as adults, babies are still objects, the new apartments cannot be edited and the workds remain closed.

'Watch this space' is what I am thinking at the moment

Definitely room for improvement and I think it brings a lot of hope to Simmers that weren't necessarily holding out for toddlers but other things to improve the game.

I still think that even though this is a step in the right direction, it shouldn't have needed to happen this way.

Still super happy for those that got their feedback answered! :smiley:
  • Options
    H_alcesH_alces Posts: 65 Member
    I was honestly getting a bit bored and I thought "Meh if they release toddlers that'll be fun but they won't," and they did! So now my faith has been restored.
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,097 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    It changed my opinion about no toddlers, it didn't change my opinion about Sims 4 in general (because there's no connection between toddlers and that). But I'm sure going to try them out, when I had just decided to never open the game again. And from what I've seen so far I think we can safely say they are the best toddlers in the franchise.

Agreed about the toddlers..so darn cute. I'm playing mine today again because it's been over two years since I touched the game. After playing yesterday, I still feel the game needs to offer more and hopefully we will see it with season, pets, and much more. I have more then enough play options in my sims 3 game. It doesn't make sense for me to pay for things I already have unless these things are better. So glad the toddlers are free this time around!