Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will the arrival of toddlers change your opinion of TS4?

167891012...Next

Comments

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    aricarai wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »
    What we can rely upon (probably) is that everything that was in Sims 3 will come to Sims 4, just as what was in Sims 2 came to Sims 3.

What's important is what's added to it. Like how we have toddlers again, but they're such a step forward. Or how we can do more with Vampires, so we can hope to be able to do more with other life states.

This game is definitely making strides with fleshed out cute little toddlers and the vamps, but sadly I don't think CAW, CASt, or Open World will be making a return. I'd be very surprised if it did.

That is the thing that still puts me off TS4. Despite some positives steps being made, there will always be some stuff missing and sadly, the best of TS3 will be wr be in TS4

:disappointed:

This comment perfectly frames my my supicions about feature vs content objections..
    Even though it could be argued that Toddlers don't belong to either category...the uptick in mood toward TS4 did in fact continue with the subsequent release of Vampires.

This tells me that a very large percentage of dissatisfaction surrounding TS4 is in fact because it is simply not fully mature yet.
    We tend to think of past iterations as a whole rather than a series of progressive improvements, which is why so many tend to want to frame the argument in terms of base game comparison. (which is fair enough)

However what people tend to forget is that it's not just the content which progressively gets added as a title matures, it's the animations that go along with them which will make complete iterations feel more "fleshed out" than one still maturing.
    I doubt there are many Simmers out there who truly remember what it's like to play just the base game of any past iteration.

Streaking, cuddling in bed, gift giving puddle splashing, staring out the window.. are just a few quick examples of interactions that were added in the past over time not not in the base game and not neccesarily tied to any specific content. TS4 is just hitting it's stride in that regard.

So yes those who are upset with the scaling back of past features aren't likely to see any satisfaction from this iteration.
    For everyone else TS4 will only continue to improve as it matures and I think we're seeing evicence of this here on the forum.

I am very sure that cuddling in bed where in the base game of TS2 and TS3?

I do agree though that it is hard to remember how a base game was but apart from some minor 'teething problems' I do not remember any big backlash in the past games at the start.

I do remember some minor complaints when TS2 came out. There was no pets, the community lots where boring (although they where never in the base of TS1) and a few bugs where built up but most people where satisfied. It was the same with TS3 as well. No pets, not seasons and the cool stuff that came later in TS2 but no one can deny that any complaints that TS3 had was tiny compared to TS4. For TS4 the complaints went far from the lack of toddlers and within a short amount of time everything was covered. Emotions where criticised, no neighbourhood editing and some very controversial bugs as well.

So things might be looking up for TS4 now, no one can deny that the past two years has been easy and even after the release of toddlers some complaints are still floating around. Was it like this in the past three games? Certainly not on this scale.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited February 2017
    I'm very pleased that toddlers have been added, and have come back to the game from a long hiatus because of it, but I still feel there are things missing that need to be added in order for the game to feel really complete. (various missing NPC types, proper memories, other things).

So I'm pleased and it's a huge improvement, but I hope EA will continue to add back missing features in patches to make the game truly complete.

And yes, TS4 felt far less complete at launch than either TS2 or TS3. It was pretty obviously rushed to release.
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited February 2017
    Accidental double post, please delete.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Andygal wrote: »
    I'm very pleased that toddlers have been added, and have come back to the game from a long hiatus because of it, but I still feel there are things missing that need to be added in order for the game to feel really complete. (various missing NPC types, proper memories, other things).

So I'm pleased and it's a huge improvement, but I hope EA will continue to add back missing features in patches to make the game truly complete.

And yes, TS4 felt far less complete at launch than either TS2 or TS3. It was pretty obviously rushed to release.

It is funny I was just saying in another thread that due to being 'rushed' TS4 missed out on the Open World. There are a lot of things that would never make the game complete if you compare it to TS3. The lack of Open World would mean that no matter how much is being added to TS4 now, it would never had that advanced Open World setting which was considered ground breaking for The Sims in 2009 but is now the norm in most other games today. It is a shame that The Sims no longer has that going for it

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member

And Something else the Sims series is missing out on because EA/Maxis is too chicken to do it.... Higher computer requirements with Graphics and processors.

Their fear of losing players if they build a game that requires a better computer to run the game...so they build a substandard game that can't handle much. It's just a bunch of bully!!!

I don't speak for everyone....but I know there are a lot of people out there that would be happy to upgrade to something much better for a fantastic game. I'm already saving for a very expensive gaming rig, just so I can play Planet Coaster. I'm not all ashamed of it either. I can do work and play if I have the right computer for it. So why not invest in it.

With all the advancements in gaming... and the whole Open World concept in a lot of games.... why wouldn't they just do it. Build that Sims game we have all been waiting for.... the one we thought Sims 4 was gonna be. Fill that base game so full that no one is looking for an Expansion for a long time.

If they are gonna charge 60 buck for a base game.... it better be done. and... for the love of all things sims.... stop nickle and diming us with the repeat expansions..... have some of them already in the dang game already. Seriously.... put basic pets in there, supernaturals, WEATHER, and give the family players the life stages they deserve from the start. And a menu that allows to opt out of things players don't want. And for us builders.... fill that game up. Tons of building options with different stairs, walls, windows, doors....and a Terrain tool, and color wheel!!!!! If they would do this, and require some higher grade graphic cards and processors.... they could then design completely new expansions that would just add to the wow factor.

Would they lose a few players?.... maybe for a few months....but dedicated fans would invest. there are even laptops that play better now and have all the new hardware to support some of those very demanding graphic open world games.

I think the worst thing this company ( EA/Maxis) has done with S4, was underestimate the sims community and what they are willing to do to play a game they love and are already invested in. I think the fact that most of them stuck around for over 2 years just for Toddlers is proof enough of their dedication. so Sims Community 1 EA/Maxis 0

BRING IT!!!
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    thevogel wrote: »
    And Something else the Sims series is missing out on because EA/Maxis is too chicken to do it.... Higher computer requirements with Graphics and processors.

Their fear of losing players if they build a game that requires a better computer to run the game...so they build a substandard game that can't handle much. It's just a bunch of bully!!!

I don't speak for everyone....but I know there are a lot of people out there that would be happy to upgrade to something much better for a fantastic game. I'm already saving for a very expensive gaming rig, just so I can play Planet Coaster. I'm not all ashamed of it either. I can do work and play if I have the right computer for it. So why not invest in it.

With all the advancements in gaming... and the whole Open World concept in a lot of games.... why wouldn't they just do it. Build that Sims game we have all been waiting for.... the one we thought Sims 4 was gonna be. Fill that base game so full that no one is looking for an Expansion for a long time.

If they are gonna charge 60 buck for a base game.... it better be done. and... for the love of all things sims.... stop nickle and diming us with the repeat expansions..... have some of them already in the dang game already. Seriously.... put basic pets in there, supernaturals, WEATHER, and give the family players the life stages they deserve from the start. And a menu that allows to opt out of things players don't want. And for us builders.... fill that game up. Tons of building options with different stairs, walls, windows, doors....and a Terrain tool, and color wheel!!!!! If they would do this, and require some higher grade graphic cards and processors.... they could then design completely new expansions that would just add to the wow factor.

Would they lose a few players?.... maybe for a few months....but dedicated fans would invest. there are even laptops that play better now and have all the new hardware to support some of those very demanding graphic open world games.

I think the worst thing this company ( EA/Maxis) has done with S4, was underestimate the sims community and what they are willing to do to play a game they love and are already invested in. I think the fact that most of them stuck around for over 2 years just for Toddlers is proof enough of their dedication. so Sims Community 1 EA/Maxis 0

BRING IT!!!

You speak for me! I've been saying the same thing too. They build an EPIC game and Simmers will flock to it.
    I just ordered a gaming rig, two monitors, a desk, and some sofas just so I could have my ultimate set up to play The Sims - the only game and franchise that I've played almost exclusively for the past 17 years. Expensive hobby, maybe, but it's an investment and it's worth it, especially if they get it right from the start!
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    You speak for me! I've been saying the same thing too. They build an EPIC game and Simmers will flock to it.
    I just ordered a gaming rig, two monitors, a desk, and some sofas just so I could have my ultimate set up to play The Sims - the only game and franchise that I've played almost exclusively for the past 17 years. Expensive hobby, maybe, but it's an investment and it's worth it, especially if they get it right from the start!

I got me a sweet new monitor last year...thing is huge compared to what I had before. Just bought a new desk as well. I need a different desk chair, but I'll get that later. My focus is on the new computer rig. It's got some crazy specs and I should be able to play just about anything on it. Plus any new games that come out in the next 2 years.

I would be shocked if EA/Maxis even bothered to listen to the advice of us builders when it comes to computer specs....cause they are all about penny pinching and milking the sims players for everything they can get.

I'm dreaming of this new computer. another month and I should be able to get it.

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Nope. I don't mess with the little buggers. They were a serious p.i.t.a. in Sims2, and I doubt that has changed in 4.
  • Options
    JenzupJenzup Posts: 1,620 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Well, Maxis certainly strained to keep this one under their hats. And with Vampires and a new world of Forgotten Hollow coming out this very month, the big two are struck off the list - Toddlers and Vampires! Hurrah!

Of course, complainers will complain and I'll bet the butt I'm sitting on that this will not be enough for those people. They'll say how Toddlers haven't evolved enough and they're not customisable enough and they don't do enough etc etc.

Still, at least people can stop making topics about wanting Toddlers. They can get onto the next thing - Seasons!

Honestly, I never even played with Seasons.

I've said it on another thread and I'll say it here: it's not about complaining. I genuinely believe that the majority of Simmers raise their voices and give feedback because they want progression from previous iterations, they want and expect better from the franchise. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting more from a game you're passionate about.

I don't think toddlers can be compared to Seasons - one is something we've come to know as base game content, the other is an EP. I think a lot of Simmers have already forgiven EA for shipping out an unfinished game; however you'll find a lot of others that are still missing important features (base game) for their style of game play and therefore the game is still unfinished. The devs have a lot of catching up to do but there's no denying that this is a step in the right direction.

Frankly I'm pleased with the feedback, without which toddlers probably never would have been as seemingly fleshed out and supposedly the best of the franchise.

Absolutely. If people have been paying attention there has been a lot of praise from those who desperately wanted toddlers. Of course it doesn't fix everything but the toddlers are very well done and that's a good thing that finally over two years later one of the biggest issues with the base has been addressed! Hopefully it's the start of much better.

I agree with you even though I'm not nuts about toddlers IRL or in my game I fought for them because 1) It was an important life stage left out 2) It represented the everything that was missing from the game that we had in Sims3 3) It was worth it to see if the developers cared for us and would actually listen and you know what they obviously do care about their fans and did listen so yeah I went out and bought 4 (but like I've mentioned in my previous posts this is what I was always going to do it's just how I do Sims games, wait till they've been out for a while before purchasing).

:o They listened and gave us toddlers! Thanks Devs your work is appreciated.
  • Options

I got me a sweet new monitor last year...thing is huge compared to what I had before. Just bought a new desk as well. I need a different desk chair, but I'll get that later. My focus is on the new computer rig. It's got some crazy specs and I should be able to play just about anything on it. Plus any new games that come out in the next 2 years.

I would be shocked if EA/Maxis even bothered to listen to the advice of us builders when it comes to computer specs....cause they are all about penny pinching and milking the sims players for everything they can get.

I'm dreaming of this new computer. another month and I should be able to get it.

If people wouldn't allow themselves to be milked out of the money by these companies, they wouldn't get away with it (ok I've got a confession I made a couple of in app purchases on a couple of iPhone apps so I'm glad I now have sims cause it would be a shame to slowly pour money down the drain when I can get much better game play from a full-fledged game) I'm going to eventually upgrade computers as well I usually have to for one reason or another its not even possible for me to keep an old computer.
  • Options

BRING IT!!!

Love your ideas and agree they should do this. However, they wouldn't have to lose any players if they just made a basic game and ALSO a more advanced and mature themed game, They actually already do this by releasing console versions of the Sims. Anybody play My Sims Kingdom on wii? It was definitely dumbed down to a very basic game (I beat it within 24hrs) but it was fun and entertaining and I'm sure did well for its market.