Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will the arrival of toddlers change your opinion of TS4?

Comments

• Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited January 2017
    With open world you can teleport cheat (without a loading screen too). Sims 3 open world will be reaching a decade old in a few years, technology in gaming has advanced from there, We aren't asking for the Sims 3 open world to be replicated with all it's flaws, we are asking for a completely new open world engine that works (much like wanting new toddlers not sims 3 toddlers). Yes we've all waited for toddlers now open world fans will be waiting even longer. I championed for toddlers to be released also, but now it feels like the toddler fans are going "we've got what we want who cares what others want.." :( . In fact toddlers fans should be sympathizing with us chanting "we feel your pain about a favorite missing feature " :P
    Post edited by cactusjuice on
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    As a long term, hardcore builder the toddler patch does very little for me. However, it is encouraging to know that EA/Maxis is finally putting things back into the game that should have been there in the first place. And for those people who are saying how great it is that we got it for free, you actually paid for it with the high price you paid for the base game. It was just late in coming. Either way, I want to thank EA/Maxis for listening to and finally delivering toddlers to the many Simmers who have been asking for them.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    As a long term, hardcore builder the toddler patch does very little for me. However, it is encouraging to know that EA/Maxis is finally putting things back into the game that should have been there in the first place. And for those people who are saying how great it is that we got it for free, you actually paid for it with the high price you paid for the base game. It was just late in coming. Either way, I want to thank EA/Maxis for listening to and finally delivering toddlers to the many Simmers who have been asking for them.

I got my base game in a sale for 40€. I knew toddlers weren't in and still felt it was worth it. So I got these toddlers free as well as other content they've added in patches. I guess we all have sort of paid for there to be a live service, but ultimately it's a choice of attitude whether you're getting free stuff or "something that should have been in the base game".
  • Options
    sweetpink123sweetpink123 Posts: 33 Member
    I love how independent and savvy these toddlers are to previous games. By far the best toddlers of any sims game
    plumbobmorgan.tumblr.com
    iY4HSu3.gif
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2017
    With open world you can teleport cheat (without a loading screen too). Sims 3 open world will be reaching a decade old in a few years, technology in gaming has advanced from there, We aren't asking for the Sims 3 open world to be replicated with all it's flaws, we are asking for a completely new open world engine that works (much like wanting new toddlers not sims 3 toddlers). Yes we've all waited for toddlers now open world fans will be waiting even longer. I championed for toddlers to be released also, but now it feels like the toddler fans are going "we've got what we want who cares what others want.." :( . In fact toddlers fans should be sympathizing with us chanting "we feel your pain about a favorite missing feature " :P

Open world has never been my thing, and I'm skeptical of it, sorry.

My opinion is that it is not always necessary for a good game. I am allowed to dislike something, and I will continue to be critical of this feature---especially if I have no option to opt out of it.

People who dislike toddlers can Age the tots.

I don't have that an option with an open world core to go back to a closed world mode or frozen lots or whatever.

I'm stuck with the open world transportation, and Indon!4 want to do the tedious teleport cheat every time I want my sims to travel.

(Maybe a mod, but I don't like using mods all that much, and I shouldn't have to. :frowning: )

But, again, you are allowed your opinion, and I am allowed mine.

I am not going to do a petition against the open world or anything, BUT I am definitely not going to champion for an open world or sign a pro-open world petition, either. *shrugs*
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    You only do teleport cheat once in a game and choose a destination as you did with every sims game and teleport there same as and simpler than choosing a cake. Ok no petition but you will let pro Open World supporters to continue to voice there grievance with no dissenting opposition I hope lol :wink:
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Ok no petition but you will let pro Open World supporters to continue to voice there grievance with no dissenting opposition I hope lol :wink:

Um, nope. It's more than just teleporting thing, though typing cheats is something I don't want to keep doing every time I want to travel.

Sims 3 lost home businesses, open restaurants/bakeries and some other lots, and other details for me.

And, nope, I will not be shut up by you or other pro-OW fans.

I will continue to talk about the parts that I disliked about open world, especially if the feedback is asked for, or is part of the topic, and pro- fans can just ignore my ranting if they have issues with me posting. :smile:

I said I won't sign the petitions, or provide vocal support for OW.

BUT I can still be vocal about what didn't work for me in the past. Is feedback not allowed anymore?
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    "Um, nope. It's more than just teleporting thing, though typing cheats is something I don't want to keep doing every time I want to travel.:" B

But the nature of Sims is a very demanding and actively involving game where you are constantly doing things so typing a command in cant be that much of a strain and if it is surely you can relate to people who couldn't be bothered aging up with a cake lol
  • Options
    And I AM on topic, because I think Sims 4 is back in track, and I am waiting to see if it stays on track.

I am merely stating my personal opinion that Open World is not necessary for me to consider the game to be on track.

I am also saying that I will be skeptical and may not preorder/buy the next Sims game if it has open world, just like other simmers have mentioned they won't bug Sims 4 until it has open world and/or toddlers, etc.

I am just skeptical and wary of OW after the bad experiences with the only sims game has this feature, that's all.

"Bite me once, twice shy" as the metaphorical expression goes and all that. :sweat_smile:
    (She/her)
  • Options
    "And I AM on topic" huh?. Not sure what that references but ok. We should leave this convo here lol. No harm actually enjoyed the back and forth :)

• Options
    edited January 2017
    "And I AM on topic" huh?. Not sure what that references but ok. We should leave this convo here lol. No harm actually enjoyed the back and forth :)

I apologize. I just wanted to state that as I have had another poster got on me for being supposedly offtopic in the past in another feedback thread, and it made me a bit anxious about that happening again.

Again, I am sorry if I sounded snippy.

I just wanted to say my opinion about the feature, and there are times in feedback threads where I felt like some simmers were trying to shut me down (if I was being negative about Sims 3, especially), so I was trying to make sure that didn't happen again. :disappointed:

So, I wouldn't be against open world entirely, but I would hope that the devs would look at the feedback and see what did and didn't work for different simmers. :smile:

For me, the toddlers are the right step for Sims 4. I hope the trend continues.

I don't know if the gurus ever said if Open World or CAW would be possible for Sims 4 in particular (maybe Sims 5?), so I am not expecting anything for Sims 4 in that department. I would hope maybe some customization options, or more building tools would be provided for the builders/creators, at least.

For me, there are other things that should be worked on before the huge changes of an open world for Sims 4--if Sims 4 ever got Open World, anyway.

What's the point of an open world if the sims are not even fully fleshed out and fully alive (in Sims 4, I mean) yet?

I am waiting for more fleshing out of content, but I do feel toddlers are a positive step in the right direction.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Oh gosh now I feel bad being a bit snippy back to you about GTA 5 :( maybe they will have a compromise for sims 5 :)
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited January 2017
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Aw really? I mean, I can hear some resemblance but I didn't think this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skM8PLJkx2Y and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34B_QDoZy64 was really supposed to be the same song :D But yeah, I mean, it's very possible :) I have to say though that I kinda prefer the TS4 theme song to the one from TS3 (it makes me nervous haha :D).

I don't know why but the TS2 theme always reminds me of The Rugrats cartoon theme. The song at the main menu of TS4 *must* be the same because I can hum along to it hum by hum and I've only been playing the game properly since toddlers came out. Unless I've heard it somewhere else and didn't realise...

--T

Autocorrect
  • Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    edited January 2017

The only obstacle keeping toddlers out of the game was Maxis. It appears they have been working on them for a long time, they just weren't given a high priority, but were still being worked on. An open world is more of a engine limitation problem. It may not be possible with the engine they are using. I think if you ever see any changes it would be to open neighborhoods. Even that seems unlikely though. I could probably live with open neighborhoods, but getting a loading screen just o visit the neighbor next door..No thank you.

Like I said before, I'm glad they put toddlers in. There are still too many limitations for my type of play.
  • Options
    BoomChikaBoomPowBoomChikaBoomPow Posts: 79 Member
    I mean, I thought the absence of toddlers, firefighters, carpool, and burglars was a step back, but I was still able to enjoy the Sims 4 just fine without those things. It was a nice surprise but my view of Sims 4 as a whole hasn't been altered since I already loved the game as it was. The only thing I wish was added was a new occult with every EP. Although, I can get behind each occult getting their own GP. It makes me less disappointed.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited January 2017
    mmoblitz wrote: »

The only obstacle keeping toddlers out of the game was Maxis. It appears they have been working on them for a long time, they just weren't given a high priority, but were still being worked on. An open world is more of a engine limitation problem. It may not be possible with the engine they are using. I think if you ever see any changes it would be to open neighborhoods. Even that seems unlikely though. I could probably live with open neighborhoods, but getting a loading screen just o visit the neighbor next door..No thank you.

Like I said before, I'm glad they put toddlers in. There are still too many limitations for my type of play.

It may appear they were working on them for some time, but there is no evidence they were intended from the start. Arguments will ensue about what is and what isn't.

But to me, if it wasn't there to begin with, it was an afterthought. Careful wording won't change my mind. I am not smitten because of one positive among many negatives.

Maxis has much to do to impress me at this point. Damage control will have to work overtime this time around. I have given them much funding over the years. In turn, modders have offered me what the company has failed to offer each time.

I am now sitting at a crossroad. It's time to fess up
    Post edited by kremesch73 on
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

It may appear they were working on them for some time, but there is no evidence they were intended from the start. Arguments will ensue about what is and what isn't.

But to me, if it wasn't there to begin with, it was an afterthought. Careful wording won't change my mind. I am not smitten because of one positive among many negatives.

Maxis has much to do to impress me at this point. Damage control will have to work overtime this time around. I have given them much funding over the years. In turn, modders have offered me what the company has failed to offer each time.

I am now sitting at a crossroad. It's time to fess up

I'm with ya on this. I too have given Maxis / EA much money. My crossroads is leaning more towards ending my relationship with TS4. Since I stopped playing about 5 months ago...I have not missed it.

I'm thinking I'll just continue to play TS3 to get my sims fix...and forge ahead with spending my money on a new graphics card and processors for my computer...or just get a new one, as I would really like to try Planet Coaster. I think I could really fulfill some serious building needs with that game, and have all the fun with it as well.

Maybe in a year or two....IF Maxis /EA comes out with TS5...I'll just check these forums to see what the simmers are saying...I'm sure there will be live streams to check out and that should let me know if it's worth it or not. Although I'm really skeptical on whether or not there will be a TS5. Only time will tell.

• Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    I think the toddlers are really cute but the game still has too much missing and wrong for me, the biggest things being the closed world and so many loading screens, no Create-a-Style, being tied to Origin, and all the culling. One thing I would like to read is for EA to admit they made a mistake in not including toddlers in the base game at launch, because their attitude of "our decisions are always right and you will play the game that WE want" irks me. I would like to hear them say they will not make the same faux pas in the future, because I'm holding out for TS5.

There's no way to tell, but I wonder how many customers they lost at launch who, like me, would have bought the game if it had included toddlers at the time?

That's a very interesting point to ponder, if they were indeed after new players they probably have already lost most who moved on to other games, it's most likely the past loyal players they "neglected" at the release that have returned due to toddlers (or at least some of them lol)

Yes, a game tends to attract the most players/buyers upon release; at least, buyers per day. Of course people keep buying it down the road, but the sales figures are usually highest at release. It's like listing a house for sale -- you get the most interest right away.
  • Options
    PosterGirlPosterGirl Posts: 641 Member
    edited January 2017
    Hi,

I'm revisiting this thread to give a brief review of how I feel now that I've played for several days.

Before I say what I like and what I do not like, I'll go ahead and say that I do like The Sims 4. However, I still have several issues with it.

Emotions:
    I enjoy the emotions built into the game, but they're not fleshed out to truly enjoy them. For example, if my sim is tense, let them lash out during conversations more frequently and fail at tasks often. In addition, the feelings of emotions should last longer.

Along with emotions, I do not feel as though sims react very much to whatever event is happening at the time. For example, if two sims are fighting, why do some sims just walk past it and not cheer on the fight or scream in outrage... or something. Now some sims do stop and react, and even so, they do not react that long.

Animations and Objects:
    Although I haven't played with anything except my young adult sim, I do like the animations that are available. I do wish that there were a lot more animations and interactions to go along with objects. For example, the hot tub, sims can have drinks in it but should also be able to place drinks on the edge of the hot tub (and also invite sims to join without having to create a group). I hope moving forward the developers do not take anymore shortcuts and allow us to see an animation for each interaction and cut back on recycled interactions... meaning no teleporting to get in a car and having the car back out the driveway (if ts4 ever gets cars).

Same thing goes for most objects like a bed or couch, sims should be able to again daydream, write in their diaries, relax, jump up and down on it, etc.

Expansions, game packs, and stuff packs:
    So far I've only played with the spa pack which I love. I like the overall theme and things sims can do (foot/hand massage, back massage, yoga classes, meditation, changing into robes before enjoying activities). I hope in the future it's expanded to include even more activities, objects, animations, npcs, tanning, etc. I'm hoping to see a proper expansion(s) that revolve around dating, vacations, seasons, pets, and university since I do think it makes for great and traditional simulation gameplay in my opinion.

Things missing:
    I wish this game had burglars, a repoman (included with water and lights shut off when bills aren't paid), cops (showing up when burglar comes), roaches in homes and not just apartments, landline phones (because they do still exist lol), a physical and functioning grocery store, curved pools, better babies and teens (as of now, babies are like objects and they should be rich with interactions and animations... bathe in sink, changing station, etc. Babies are also a bit ugly with the short camouflage eyebrows... just creepy and not enough cute factor), night chirping and various sounds throughout the day and at night, and much more.

Graphics and Performance:
    The number one thing that turned me off from the sims 3 (which I do not care for or play) was the art style of the sims themselves. The environment was beautiful but the sims were not (again, this is my opinion). It doesn't matter how much CC was placed on TS3 sims, they are just very ugly to me (I do not like pudding/Pixar appearance). The only decent looking sims to me are the ones with custom sliders and things (which still didn't make up for everything else I didn't like about ts3, because ts3 also severely lacks in many ways).

Performance wise, the game runs smooth except for an occasional travel crash which is annoying. I can be playing for hours on my sim lot and go to travel, get ready to leave to return home and it crashes. I do not have near as many bugs as I had in ts3 which I'm happy about, and I'm playing CC free and enjoying that for the first time. I can actually play with sims I like to look at which is refreshing, with or without custom content.

As far as custom content, I like what I've seen so far. It looks well on ts4 sims like it did in ts2.

Overall:
    I do like the sims 4 and have played ts1 through ts4. I do not care for the open world if the developers can't get it right, and at the same time I wish there was a better solution to loading screens. I love the art style now that I've seen it for myself in-game and how I can make ugly or beautiful sims without cc.

I do think the developers should focus on animations and interactions, and how objects are tied to and behave with animations/interactions. It doesn't matter how many expansions, game or stuff packs are added if the animations and interactions aren't there being rich and in-depth. Give us objects where we can interact with them in many ways. Moreover, sims need to really have deeper personalities and how they interact during events happening in their environment, they need to be aware of things. If my sim has a friend or family member that has died, they should be sad and nope for days, maybe even a week. Maybe if my sim wasn't as close to that sim, it wouldn't affect them as much.

If there is a ts5, I hope teens are reworked. As of now they're the same height and don't have much of anything unique to them. They should get acne or be able to get braces and other stuff like in the older games.

I'm going to stop going on and on and just say that ts4 isn't a bad game, but it's lacking in many areas. The biggest problem to me is the lack of interactions with the environment and objects and short cutting animations. Sims don't have deep emotions or feelings like the game is promoted, nothing bad really happens. The neighborhoods are small and too many things are taken away instead of being expanded upon. Long live the repoman, but kick it up a knotch and now sims can have water and lights turned off. Think about the object what interactions can be done with it and how sims react to their environment and other sims... and don't leave out the proper animation because I want to see it.

I'm looking forward to getting vampires and seeing what else awaits the future for ts4. If the developers continue putting in so much love like they did with toddlers moving forward with the rest of the game, it'll turn out to be a decent game.

Btw, I was one of the ppl who haven't tried ts4 up until now. Once toddlers was patched in I got the free trial, liked it and bought the game with all dlc since I got it for cheap. I cancelled my preorder back in 2014 when we found out toddlers were missing, that was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I petitioned and gave as much feedback as possible because I do love the sims and want to see it do well. Hopefully things continue to improve and the team continues to listen to feedback.... please do not ever leave out toddlers or any age group again, along with tradition base game content like hot tubs and pools, etc.

Final verdict... 1 thumbs up out of 2 thumbs and my order of favorite hasn't changed, TS2>TS1>TS4>TS3.

Apologies for any typos or misspelled words, I'm on mobile at the moment.
    Post edited by PosterGirl on
  • Options
    MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited January 2017
    They need to take this game further then 3. It's not there yet, even with self sufficient toddlers. The bugs need to be fixed at the same rate they produce new /more content for the game.
  • Options
    littlearchitectlittlearchitect Posts: 277 Member
    Nah! As long as there are still bugs and gameplay issues every time they put out the packs, I'm neutral to TS4 or maybe worse. I accept that programs can't be always perfect but I rarely saw any bugs or issues in TS3 and TS2. Toddlers are life stage that was added for free and I admit that I enjoyed playing with them for a certain time. However, this alone will not change my overall opinion for the game.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon__gif___fan_art__by_hazzaplumbob-dayfe38.gif
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Yes it has. I am looking forward to play it much more than I normally do. The toddler addition...a very great addition, such cute little new things they added and kept from previous Sim toddlers....so yes...it's restored my faith into TS4 A lot!
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I'm seeing a lot of objections about bugs, which I can't seem to wrap my head around.
    This iteration isn't any more buggy than any of the others.

Is it because a higher percentage of people are using Mods and CC that break the game when a new patch is implemented?
  • Options
    Well you can't forgive the bugs in Sims 4 on the basis that the others were too. No game should have so many bugs, even one bug is 3 bugs too many and especially if it touted as a feature and that feature cant be played because of the bugs (I'm looking at you- retail section of GTW)
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited January 2017
    Well you can't forgive the bugs in Sims 4 on the basis that the others were too. No game should have so many bugs, even one bug is 3 bugs too many and especially if it touted as a feature and that feature cant be played because of the bugs (I'm looking at you- retail section of GTW)

Whenever you have a program of this complexity, With changing environments and variables there will always be bugs.
    Not to mention all of the non-indigenous code that gets added on top which people will just straight up lie about using.

This isn't a linear console game where every line of code can be checked and rechecked in a closed environement, this is a living breathing world. Every new piece of content has to be checked against the existing content.

If you expect the Sims to be 100% bug free, I don't know what to tell you..that's a pretty naiive expectation.