Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will the arrival of toddlers change your opinion of TS4?

Comments

• Options
    WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    WillowG145 wrote: »
    WillowG145 wrote: »
    I've reinstalled the game and played a little with a new family, mother alien and dad human, with a little alien toddler.

The toddlers are great and fun to play. But the rest of the game need serious work. It's actually worse than I remembered: sims spend a lot of time watching in front of them wihtout doing a thing (not even animation) instead of eating.
    Usually don't use the nearer furniture: they regularly don't eat at the table in front of the fridge, and the few time they do, they go to the other side of the house to was the plates in the bathroom when they have a sink in the same room!
    Giving orders to the older sims is hard. Too many times they don't execute them.

Plus, stuff I hate: no unnatural colours for toddlers! Why is that?!? Why can't I make my human sims with supernatural genetics like elf/deamon/whatever fantasy creature I desire with ereditary unnatural colours? Or you know, why can't I have my alien sim not have alien hair? It's already bad the limits in colours (really, there isn't a decent light brown hair colour!) but this limitation I don't understand!

Toddlers are cute, and my compliments of the work the team have put in them. If only the same care and work was done to the base game!!!

I'm Just curious... In what sense?
    Do you mean from a structural design/feature point of view?

I would be inclined to think the toddlers wouldn't be able to blend into the game seamlessly if the infrastructure wasn't already there.

I don't understand Your question? Toddlers have many new interactions and
    Logical reactions to their surroindings (they would notice if a parent is At work and feel abandoned) and are grumpy when tired. And For what I played react tempestively to My orders.
    Instead adults or ignore my orders, or an autonomous action appear before the one I want them to do, after I've given the order. Passing from one sim to the other is a risk, since the first sim may decide to give priority to talk to someone instead of do what I have ordered him/her to do.

Is, for me that I'm playng the sims 4 after many months, that toddlers have been done much better t'han the test of the game.

Ok Gotcha

I hope to have explained myself. English is not my first language, plus the phone is terrible for writing :s
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Yes my opinion of the game has changed the biggest missing piece that made this game unplayable is finally here. I now have hope if they can create an amazing life stage make it unique and fun just imagine if they added Generations and fixed the other life stages I now see its possible my hope is restored.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2017
    After playing with the toddlers update, I say that if the team can keep this up, then I will be super-happy with Sims 4. (Well, I am already really, really happy now that I have my awesome tots! I just need some awesome vamps, and I will be fully "turned". :wink: )
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    After playing with the toddlers update, I say that if the team can keep this up, then I will be super-happy with Sims 4. (Well, I am already really, really happy now that I have my awesome tots! I just need some awesome vamps, and I will be fully "turned". :wink: )

Absolutely.
    After seeing what they did with this, it got me thinking about Seasons.
    I not only have no doubt they can pull it off...but I'm thinking this is the best configuration to date to pull it off really well.

If you think about it, other than the weather the festival park in TS3 was basically what that pack was about....
    Now they have the potential to create an entire hood that would could change with the Seasons.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited January 2017
    My opinion hasn't fundamentally changed in that I still think a lot of things need a little extra boost, but I'm definitely happy about how well the toddlers are done and I'm playing for far longer now than I have before. I simply like how much more challenging it has become to play a big family as the parents now need to provide food, help kids & teenagers with homework, get a good night's sleep & progress in their careers, while trying to raise their toddlers, take care of their needs, teach them stuff, etc. It's a real balancing act, especially if you throw in a bunch of lot traits like haunted house or needs TLC. I finally feel like being a stay at home mom (which ATM none of my mothers are though, they just work from home if they can) is A LOT of work - like it should be lol. So that aspect of the game has definitely improved, and I can't wait for vampires!!! I think the latter will show me just how much change this iteration can pull off well ^^
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    My opinion hasn't fundamentally changed in that I still think a lot of things need a little extra boost, but I'm definitely happy about how well the toddlers are done and I'm playing for far longer now than I have before. I simply like how much more challenging it has become to play a big family as the parents now need to provide food, help kids & teenagers with homework, get a good night's sleep & progress in their careers, while trying to raise their toddlers, take care of their needs, teach them stuff, etc. It's a real balancing act, especially if you throw in a bunch of lot traits like haunted house or needs TLC. I finally feel like being a stay at home mom (which ATM none of my mothers are though, they just work from home if they can) is A LOT of work - like it should be lol. So that aspect of the game has definitely improved, and I can't wait for vampires!!! I think the latter will show me just how much change this iteration can pull off well ^^

For sure the toddlers brought back some of the old school grind.
    01-14-17_8-15-28PM.png
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited January 2017
    I think the toddlers are really cute but the game still has too much missing and wrong for me, the biggest things being the closed world and so many loading screens, no Create-a-Style, being tied to Origin, and all the culling. One thing I would like to read is for EA to admit they made a mistake in not including toddlers in the base game at launch, because their attitude of "our decisions are always right and you will play the game that WE want" irks me. I would like to hear them say they will not make the same faux pas in the future, because I'm holding out for TS5.

There's no way to tell, but I wonder how many customers they lost at launch who, like me, would have bought the game if it had included toddlers at the time?
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    I think the toddlers are really cute but the game still has too much missing and wrong for me, the biggest things being the closed world and so many loading screens, no Create-a-Style, being tied to Origin, and all the culling. One thing I would like to read is for EA to admit they made a mistake in not including toddlers in the base game at launch, because their attitude of "our decisions are always right and you will play the game that WE want" irks me. I would like to hear them say they will not make the same faux pas in the future, because I'm holding out for TS5.

There's no way to tell, but I wonder how many customers they lost at launch who, like me, would have bought the game if it had included toddlers at the time?

I don't think that's ever going to happen. :) Although I've seen the question asked in several interviews and of several sim gurus no one is admitting to how long they've been working on toddlers. If anything they may say they just ran out of time and resources before the game released and have been working on toddlers ever since. And yes maybe the game should have been delayed but for whatever reason it wasn't.

As for all the customers they lost at launch I'd also like to know how many returned because of the toddler patch. I'm seeing so many simmers that haven't been around in ages and that doesn't account for those who don't participate on the forum. And also plenty of simmers eager to catch up on all the stuff packs, games packs, and expansion packs.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Its given me hope, thats about it. The game is still the same as it was a month go for me = boring.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    ELCOMMSELCOMMS Posts: 9 New Member
    Toddlers have added something that's been missing in the game for a long time. However, I already liked the sims 4 before the toddlers were released so my opinion hasn't really changed
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    edited January 2017
    Now that Toddlers have arrived it will be interesting to see how the temperature of this forum will change.
    How does this announcement affect your opinion of the game overall?

It doesn't change anything for me personal. I have loved the game since day 1. The small critters do make it more challenging for sure but also even more fun, And NO, I won't start hating the game because we had such nice and FREE content put into it. :wink:
    Bigger.jpg
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Now that Toddlers have arrived it will be interesting to see how the temperature of this forum will change.
    How does this announcement affect your opinion of the game overall?

It doesn't change anything for me personal. I have loved the game since day 1. The small critters do make it more challenging for sure but also even more fun, And NO, I won't start hating the game because we had such nice and FREE content put into it. :wink:
    Bigger.jpg

That's great but no one said you would start hating it?

I don't see how anyone can hate free content.

On a personal note I am enjoying the game now we have toddlers. They are the cutest, most unpredictable little sims ever!
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited January 2017
    Stdlr9 wrote: »

That's a very interesting point to ponder, if they were indeed after new players they probably have already lost most who moved on to other games, it's most likely the past loyal players they "neglected" at the release that have returned due to toddlers (or at least some of them lol)
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member

The addition of Toddlers has not changed my mind. I'm happy for family players...because let's face it...the forums were getting to a major boiling point about that topic. And I supported the family players, even though I'm not one. It didn't matter to me one way or another if Toddlers were added......to me, they had already ruined the game. Even the teens look like adults and I can't tell the difference.

Where this game is at right now, 2.5 years after launch... is where it should have been at launch. It's finally ready for it's first EP.

But.... to me, the current game engine, the culling, Limited worlds and loading screens... that has not changed. The lack of building tools, terrain tool, content, and choices...it's mind numbing and more than disappointing.

I think Toddlers came now, and for free...cause they knew if they didn't...the game would be dead and so would the forums. When SimCity 2013 failed and the forums went dead. That game faded into non existence. This is the path TS4 was on. They put them in there, but they are never going to say sorry for not adding them in the first place. don't be fooled.... this game is still about them. They gave you Toddlers...for free... but..... you will still play it they way they want you to.

when I see some serious modification made to the game, and they give us builders something to work with. I might change my tune. Till then, have fun with the new Toddlers....they look cute. I'm off to build and customize an entire world in TS3. :)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    thevogel wrote: »
    The addition of Toddlers has not changed my mind. I'm happy for family players...because let's face it...the forums were getting to a major boiling point about that topic. And I supported the family players, even though I'm not one. It didn't matter to me one way or another if Toddlers were added......to me, they had already ruined the game. Even the teens look like adults and I can't tell the difference.

Where this game is at right now, 2.5 years after launch... is where it should have been at launch. It's finally ready for it's first EP.

But.... to me, the current game engine, the culling, Limited worlds and loading screens... that has not changed. The lack of building tools, terrain tool, content, and choices...it's mind numbing and more than disappointing.

I think Toddlers came now, and for free...cause they knew if they didn't...the game would be dead and so would the forums. When SimCity 2013 failed and the forums went dead. That game faded into non existence. This is the path TS4 was on. They put them in there, but they are never going to say sorry for not adding them in the first place. don't be fooled.... this game is still about them. They gave you Toddlers...for free... but..... you will still play it they way they want you to.

when I see some serious modification made to the game, and they give us builders something to work with. I might change my tune. Till then, have fun with the new Toddlers....they look cute. I'm off to build and customize an entire world in TS3. :)

Good points :smile:

The way things are now is the way things should have been from the start and not just with toddlers but with every lifestage and every feature. The Sims 4 should have an Open World and it should have no restrictions. No culling, no rushed and half baked content. Everything should have been right from the start. It is just a shame that it has taken two and a half years for the game to be satisfactory for a number of players.

I do think that lessons have been learnt though and I do think that things are slowly moving in the right direction but even though wounds can heal, scars will remain for a long time. There are still things that put me off TS4. Loading screens, no neighbourhood editing. No CASt, adult sized teens, object babies, none of these things where fixed by the addition of toddlers.

So even though I think that it is great that they have taken the time to follow player's feedback and put in toddlers not just for free, but also very fleshed out toddlers, this still does not make up for how long it has taken to even get to this stage.

I just wish that they never started with Olympus and then we might not even need to ask, two and a half years later, if the game is starting to improve.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member

The way things are now is the way things should have been from the start and not just with toddlers but with every lifestage and every feature. The Sims 4 should have an Open World and it should have no restrictions. No culling, no rushed and half baked content. Everything should have been right from the start. It is just a shame that it has taken two and a half years for the game to be satisfactory for a number of players.

I do think that lessons have been learnt though and I do think that things are slowly moving in the right direction but even though wounds can heal, scars will remain for a long time. There are still things that put me off TS4. Loading screens, no neighbourhood editing. No CASt, adult sized teens, object babies, none of these things where fixed by the addition of toddlers.

So even though I think that it is great that they have taken the time to follow player's feedback and put in toddlers not just for free, but also very fleshed out toddlers, this still does not make up for how long it has taken to even get to this stage.

I just wish that they never started with Olympus and then we might not even need to ask, two and a half years later, if the game is starting to improve.

I wish they would have waited all together. when SimCity Failed... that should have stopped them in their tracks. i realize, yes it's a business and they already had started building the game with Olympus....but if they wanted to have out of the gate success... they had the power to stop, take a step back, change it.

I would have rather waited 3 years for a new sims game, rather than spent money on this poor excuse for a sims game.

And if they really wanted to score points... they could have had a dedicated team on TS3 fixing all the bugs and routing issues during that 3 year period, and coming up with a few more EP's.

I'm irritated that they gave family players Toddlers, when it should have been in the base game to begin with. The devs are acting like this is a huge favor they did for us. Oh and how exciting... now they get a pat on the back, while I remember them threatening that there would be no TS5 if we didn't buy TS4. They also turned their backs on us and refused any communication while we bickered amongst one another on these forums wondering what the hell was going on.

At the end of the day... it's just a game. But for me, it's my getaway. And I feel cheated. I'm grateful we still have TS2 and TS3, because at least I know I wont be disappointed with them. Just regret spending money on TS4 and falling victim to this empty imitation of a sims game.

• Options

I wish they would have waited all together. when SimCity Failed... that should have stopped them in their tracks. i realize, yes it's a business and they already had started building the game with Olympus....but if they wanted to have out of the gate success... they had the power to stop, take a step back, change it.

I would have rather waited 3 years for a new sims game, rather than spent money on this poor excuse for a sims game.

And if they really wanted to score points... they could have had a dedicated team on TS3 fixing all the bugs and routing issues during that 3 year period, and coming up with a few more EP's.

I'm irritated that they gave family players Toddlers, when it should have been in the base game to begin with. The devs are acting like this is a huge favor they did for us. Oh and how exciting... now they get a pat on the back, while I remember them threatening that there would be no TS5 if we didn't buy TS4. They also turned their backs on us and refused any communication while we bickered amongst one another on these forums wondering what the plum was going on.

At the end of the day... it's just a game. But for me, it's my getaway. And I feel cheated. I'm grateful we still have TS2 and TS3, because at least I know I wont be disappointed with them. Just regret spending money on TS4 and falling victim to this empty imitation of a sims game.

TS4 is no where near the standards of TS3 even two and a half years in. TS3 was acceptable for a Sims game from day one. We did not have to wait for 'base cintent' to be patched in over a period of a few years.

Sure the new toddlers sound like the best yet which is what players waiting so long for them deserve but a complete TS4 will never be as complete as a complete TS3.

With or without toddlers, TS4 will never really change, it just 'somewhat improves' slowly over the years.

The next big improvement I want to see is in a new game and one that caters gor everyone from day one
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member

I'm irritated that they gave family players Toddlers, when it should have been in the base game to begin with. The devs are acting like this is a huge favor they did for us. Oh and how exciting... now they get a pat on the back, while I remember them threatening that there would be no TS5 if we didn't buy TS4. They also turned their backs on us and refused any communication while we bickered amongst one another on these forums wondering what the plum was going on.

TS4 is no where near the standards of TS3 even two and a half years in. TS3 was acceptable for a Sims game from day one. We did not have to wait for 'base cintent' to be patched in over a period of a few years.

Sure the new toddlers sound like the best yet which is what players waiting so long for them deserve but a complete TS4 will never be as complete as a complete TS3.

With or without toddlers, TS4 will never really change, it just 'somewhat improves' slowly over the years.

The next big improvement I want to see is in a new game and one that caters gor everyone from day one

You really can't say that until the Sims 4 comes to an end. :)

Hopefully you'll get everything you want in the Sims 5 since you've given up on this version. I hope its awesome also.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Toddlers doesn't change anything for me. I think that it is nice that they have come. But the omission of toddlers wasn't at all the reason why I stopped playing the game. Instead it was the whole idea about focusing on partying and easier and happier gameplay that I didn't want. Instead I needed a more interesting and deeper gameplay and not extra wait time to get the final job promotions or extra wait time to collect items for collections either. I also needed interesting family stories and neighborhood stories instead of this boring happy gameplay with random emotions and annoying multitasking just to slow things down.
  • Options
    MingYangYoMingYangYo Posts: 362 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    @PosterGirl - not sure if you're on tumblr but there is some amazing CC for TS4. If I ever play the game again, I'll be downloading it by the bucketful. Enjoy!

Good luck! Alot of sims 4 creators get moody and delete their content in a heart beat.
    Let me in I got a heart of gold

L2Oe8ie.jpg
  • Options
    Toddlers have "defanged" me for now, so I feel softened towards Sims EA. (Well, I kind of had a soft spot already for Sims 4 before this, so....)

We shall see if I get my fangs back after the next quarter....
    (She/her)
  • Options

You really can't say that until the Sims 4 comes to an end. :)

Hopefully you'll get everything you want in the Sims 5 since you've given up on this version. I hope its awesome also.

In order for TS4 to be 'on par' with TS3 it would need a few things that TS3 has that TS4 probably won't have. The Open World, neighbourhood editing (actually patched in TS3 after Ambitions), CAW, CASt, cars, police (are they back in TS4 yet?), burglaries, newspapers, doorbells, real teens, free babies, terrain editing and probably a lot more.

So yes TS4 is 'getting there' but will it ever really reach up and take over TS3?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    I think it depends on one's priorities and perspective.

For example, for me, open world is not mandatory for a good game.

I am more concerned about lack of content compared to past games, especially in the EP department. Also, limitations on customization/editing, and lack of building tools.

And that forgetful AI, lol.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @king_of_simcity7 I agree on most of those things except for the open world. Now, I really like the open world in TS3 but to me TS2 is still the overall better game which proves that TS4 doesn't need an open world either to be on par (but it hasn't reached TS2's level yet either for me). If they keep their current momentum up though I think it could make for a very entertaining iteration (finally lol). Kinda depends on what you prefer :) but I agree that more neighborhood editing would be amazing. I'd like it, for example, if I could add fog to Newcrest or Windenburg (like it will be in the new vamp world if I'm not mistaken) to make them darker. Adding gothic houses to such bright world seems a little out of touch.
  • Options
    I think it depends on one's priorities and perspective.

For example, for me, open world is not mandatory for a good game.

I am more concerned about lack of content compared to past games, especially in the EP department. Also, limitations on customization/editing, and lack of building tools.

And that forgetful AI, lol.

I know a lot of players are still disappointed in the lack of building tools and neighbourhood editing, as I mentioned it might not be possible to see that, at least any time soon.

I myself do vouch for the Open World but even a closed world could just about be tolerable if the game actually offered me something more. The lack of customisation seems to be a disappointment in a lot of areas as well. Not just building and decorating but in CAS when it comes to choosing Sims clothes.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg