Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will the arrival of toddlers change your opinion of TS4?

Comments

• Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited January 2017
    I think it depends on one's priorities and perspective.

For example, for me, open world is not mandatory for a good game.

I am more concerned about lack of content compared to past games, especially in the EP department. Also, limitations on customization/editing, and lack of building tools.

And that forgetful AI, lol.

Yeah, me too. I've played The Sims 2 since the day it launched (literally) and I don't even notice the loading screens. I use them to make coffee, go to the loo and 9/10 times the game is running along without me because *I* took too long. Don't get me wrong, the loading screens between apartments annoys the heck out of me but I prefer to live on house lots anyway so thats avoidable. I'm also a console gamer so loading screens are second nature to me, I seriously am not bothered by them.

And the fact we can visit our neighbours just freaks me out. So stoked for that. It's something I always wanted in TS2.

--T

Typos
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    Yes I am a huge fan of Open World, and as the absence of toddlers stopped some from playing S4, having no open world had contributed to me no longer playing S4
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited January 2017
    To7m wrote: »

I am more concerned about lack of content compared to past games, especially in the EP department. Also, limitations on customization/editing, and lack of building tools.

Yeah, me too. I've played The Sims 2 since the day it launched (literally) and I don't even notice the loading screens. I use them to make coffee, go to the loo and 9/10 times the game is running along without me because *I* took too long. Don't get me wrong, the loading screens between apartments annoys the heck out of me but I prefer to live on house lots anyway so thats avoidable. I'm also a console gamer so loading screens are second nature to me, I seriously am not bothered by them.

And the fact we can visit our neighbours just freaks me out. So stoked for that. It's something I always wanted in TS2.

--T

Typos

Same here. I loved Sims 1 and Sims 2, and neither of them had open world. I also play console and handheld games as well, and many of them have some loading screens. Same with some indie and casual games. I love all of these games, and these games are still good in my eyes even without fulll-on open world.

Just give me the engaging gameplay. I'm not into tedious traveling and I'm not into looking at pretty landscapes for too long (which is why I loved the Fast Travel in Skyrim, lol!).

Just get me straight into the gameplay (that is not traveling) and I'm fine with a little bit of waiting in between.

Whatever doesn't kill my performance helps too.

I'll take semi-open at most unless tech really, really improves enough to handle a fully open world with no routing issues and/or slow tediousness.

I'm waiting for more of that indepth gameplay. Toddlers have added depth, and past sims games had depth, I hope this trend continues.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The thing is the Open World is not just about the lack of loading screens. I can manage loading screens if they are fast. It is the option to control more than one Sim in different areas of the game. Sometimes this can be a disadvantage at times but I could send a few Sims to a park to maybe hang out while I could have another Sim at home working on skills while another Sim could be at work in a rabbit hole. I can jump between Sims at will and check on things.

I can also change households if I need to as well. Too few Sims at a nightclub? Ok I can just change the house hold a few times and send more Sims to a nightclub to dance and I could have a busier club. It is quite easy actually :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    The thing is the Open World is not just about the lack of loading screens. I can manage loading screens if they are fast. It is the option to control more than one Sim in different areas of the game. Sometimes this can be a disadvantage at times but I could send a few Sims to a park to maybe hang out while I could have another Sim at home working on skills while another Sim could be at work in a rabbit hole. I can jump between Sims at will and check on things.

I can also change households if I need to as well. Too few Sims at a nightclub? Ok I can just change the house hold a few times and send more Sims to a nightclub to dance and I could have a busier club. It is quite easy actually :smile:

Yeah I agree we need more control over the rest of the household when they're in separate spaces. That is definitely a big plus in 3.
  • Options

--T

Typos

Same here. I loved Sims 1 and Sims 2, and neither of them had open world. I also play console and handheld games as well, and many of them have some loading screens. Same with some indie and casual games. I love all of these games, and these games are still good in my eyes even without fulll-on open world.

Just give me the engaging gameplay. I'm not into tedious traveling and I'm not into looking at pretty landscapes for too long (which is why I loved the Fast Travel in Skyrim, lol!).

Just get me straight into the gameplay (that is not traveling) and I'm fine with a little bit of waiting in between.

I'll take semi-open at most unless tech really, really improves enough to handle a fully open world with no routing issues and/or slow tediousness.

I'm waiting for more of that indepth gameplay. Toddlers have added depth, and past sims games had depth, I hope this trend continues.

Yes exactly! And collectibles, I just don't bother with them. I'm into the gameplay. Sure it would be nice to have a car (for example) but it's only going to go to the end of the lot or half way down the street so I can wait for stuff like that. It's not important. How long are you going to spend in a car? 5mins? I'm more interested in where my sim is *going* not how they get there, the teleporting stuff really isn't an issue to me, although I don't see why the sims can't just walk down the road for careers and stuff too rather than to the front of the lot. That's a bit odd when if my sims goes to a neighbours she walks *over* to the neighbour or down the road she can't do that to go to work too. And coming home. It would give more of a 'coming and going' feeling like the townies walking around.

--T
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    thevogel wrote: »

Good points :smile:

The way things are now is the way things should have been from the start and not just with toddlers but with every lifestage and every feature. The Sims 4 should have an Open World and it should have no restrictions. No culling, no rushed and half baked content. Everything should have been right from the start. It is just a shame that it has taken two and a half years for the game to be satisfactory for a number of players.

I do think that lessons have been learnt though and I do think that things are slowly moving in the right direction but even though wounds can heal, scars will remain for a long time. There are still things that put me off TS4. Loading screens, no neighbourhood editing. No CASt, adult sized teens, object babies, none of these things where fixed by the addition of toddlers.

So even though I think that it is great that they have taken the time to follow player's feedback and put in toddlers not just for free, but also very fleshed out toddlers, this still does not make up for how long it has taken to even get to this stage.

I just wish that they never started with Olympus and then we might not even need to ask, two and a half years later, if the game is starting to improve.

I wish they would have waited all together. when SimCity Failed... that should have stopped them in their tracks. i realize, yes it's a business and they already had started building the game with Olympus....but if they wanted to have out of the gate success... they had the power to stop, take a step back, change it.

I would have rather waited 3 years for a new sims game, rather than spent money on this poor excuse for a sims game.

And if they really wanted to score points... they could have had a dedicated team on TS3 fixing all the bugs and routing issues during that 3 year period, and coming up with a few more EP's.

I'm irritated that they gave family players Toddlers, when it should have been in the base game to begin with. The devs are acting like this is a huge favor they did for us. Oh and how exciting... now they get a pat on the back, while I remember them threatening that there would be no TS5 if we didn't buy TS4. They also turned their backs on us and refused any communication while we bickered amongst one another on these forums wondering what the plum was going on.

At the end of the day... it's just a game. But for me, it's my getaway. And I feel cheated. I'm grateful we still have TS2 and TS3, because at least I know I wont be disappointed with them. Just regret spending money on TS4 and falling victim to this empty imitation of a sims game.

TS4 is no where near the standards of TS3 even two and a half years in. TS3 was acceptable for a Sims game from day one. We did not have to wait for 'base cintent' to be patched in over a period of a few years.

Sure the new toddlers sound like the best yet which is what players waiting so long for them deserve but a complete TS4 will never be as complete as a complete TS3.

With or without toddlers, TS4 will never really change, it just 'somewhat improves' slowly over the years.

The next big improvement I want to see is in a new game and one that caters gor everyone from day one

You really can't say that until the Sims 4 comes to an end. :)

Hopefully you'll get everything you want in the Sims 5 since you've given up on this version. I hope its awesome also.

In order for TS4 to be 'on par' with TS3 it would need a few things that TS3 has that TS4 probably won't have. The Open World, neighbourhood editing (actually patched in TS3 after Ambitions), CAW, CASt, cars, police (are they back in TS4 yet?), burglaries, newspapers, doorbells, real teens, free babies, terrain editing and probably a lot more.

So yes TS4 is 'getting there' but will it ever really reach up and take over TS3?

Again, until the game comes to an end we won't know. And even if all those things do become available one day there's no reason it has to "take over" Sims 3. It's not a competition although you seem to go out of your way to make it one.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    ^^^Meh, I would still not want open world even with the controlling all of household members. Besides, I don't like micromanaging sims that much, and my sims tend to route weirdly and take forever (especially in a certain EP *glares at IP*), and I just don't enjoy that hassle.

I miss the time-Frozen lots, actually. I loved that. Time feels like it goes too fast for me in Sims world with non-Frozen lots....

Until I see a game with open world that works well for my type of play and properly programmed and optimized, I will continue to not be interested in that feature. *shrugs*

I will ask for other things, but I will not be proactively supporting open world, because I haven't seen a game that has an engaging full-open (no loading screens whatsoever like Sims 3) world for me yet.

Maybe when tech gets much, much better to handle it, and when I start seeing lots of other indepth (not simple hack and slash or action) games that have this feature with fully open world without being tedious, then I would voice loud support for open world.

Until then, I am very much fine with semi-open at most. For me, personally, a game is not a failure because the lack of that particular feature.

ETA: If a game is a failure because of loading screens, then that is a lot of failures in the world, lol. I have loved games with some loading screens, and I don't consider them complete failures because of this.
    (She/her)
  • Options

The way things are now is the way things should have been from the start and not just with toddlers but with every lifestage and every feature. The Sims 4 should have an Open World and it should have no restrictions. No culling, no rushed and half baked content. Everything should have been right from the start. It is just a shame that it has taken two and a half years for the game to be satisfactory for a number of players.

I do think that lessons have been learnt though and I do think that things are slowly moving in the right direction but even though wounds can heal, scars will remain for a long time. There are still things that put me off TS4. Loading screens, no neighbourhood editing. No CASt, adult sized teens, object babies, none of these things where fixed by the addition of toddlers.

So even though I think that it is great that they have taken the time to follow player's feedback and put in toddlers not just for free, but also very fleshed out toddlers, this still does not make up for how long it has taken to even get to this stage.

I just wish that they never started with Olympus and then we might not even need to ask, two and a half years later, if the game is starting to improve.

I wish they would have waited all together. when SimCity Failed... that should have stopped them in their tracks. i realize, yes it's a business and they already had started building the game with Olympus....but if they wanted to have out of the gate success... they had the power to stop, take a step back, change it.

I would have rather waited 3 years for a new sims game, rather than spent money on this poor excuse for a sims game.

And if they really wanted to score points... they could have had a dedicated team on TS3 fixing all the bugs and routing issues during that 3 year period, and coming up with a few more EP's.

I'm irritated that they gave family players Toddlers, when it should have been in the base game to begin with. The devs are acting like this is a huge favor they did for us. Oh and how exciting... now they get a pat on the back, while I remember them threatening that there would be no TS5 if we didn't buy TS4. They also turned their backs on us and refused any communication while we bickered amongst one another on these forums wondering what the plum was going on.

At the end of the day... it's just a game. But for me, it's my getaway. And I feel cheated. I'm grateful we still have TS2 and TS3, because at least I know I wont be disappointed with them. Just regret spending money on TS4 and falling victim to this empty imitation of a sims game.

TS4 is no where near the standards of TS3 even two and a half years in. TS3 was acceptable for a Sims game from day one. We did not have to wait for 'base cintent' to be patched in over a period of a few years.

Sure the new toddlers sound like the best yet which is what players waiting so long for them deserve but a complete TS4 will never be as complete as a complete TS3.

With or without toddlers, TS4 will never really change, it just 'somewhat improves' slowly over the years.

The next big improvement I want to see is in a new game and one that caters gor everyone from day one

Hopefully you'll get everything you want in the Sims 5 since you've given up on this version. I hope its awesome also.

In order for TS4 to be 'on par' with TS3 it would need a few things that TS3 has that TS4 probably won't have. The Open World, neighbourhood editing (actually patched in TS3 after Ambitions), CAW, CASt, cars, police (are they back in TS4 yet?), burglaries, newspapers, doorbells, real teens, free babies, terrain editing and probably a lot more.

So yes TS4 is 'getting there' but will it ever really reach up and take over TS3?

Again, until the game comes to an end we won't know. And even if all those things do become available one day there's no reason it has to "take over" Sims 3. It's not a competition although you seem to go out of your way to make it one.

He's talking about base game to base game, which, yes you can compare. As of release date TS4 will never match to TS3. TS3 had more in it, simple fact. TS4 is getting there *now* but both of them at launch? TS3 will win every time.

--T

• Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Yeah I agree we need more control over the rest of the household when they're in separate spaces. That is definitely a big plus in 3.

Well when I played the Free Trial I found it a bit odd that if I went to visit a community lot next door to the one I was playing my Sims in, I would still have to wait for that lot to load and when I got there, some Sims had already spawned while if I left other Sims behind, I might still be able to see them but they might g home or do something I wouldn't want them to do. The whole community lot process in TS4 is very weak compared to TS3 :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    edited January 2017
    The size of this update 3 GB+ was huge for a free update. I have been a very harsh critic of Maxis and the direction they went with the game. I'm not above giving a well done though when it's warranted. I actually installed the game just so I could check them out and they did a wonderful job with them. I did uninstall after though.

It's a step in the right direction and I'm happy for all those who were waiting for toddler's. Still too much missing for me to actually put in any thought into playing the game again though.
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    edited January 2017
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Now that Toddlers have arrived it will be interesting to see how the temperature of this forum will change.
    How does this announcement affect your opinion of the game overall?

It doesn't change anything for me personal. I have loved the game since day 1. The small critters do make it more challenging for sure but also even more fun, And NO, I won't start hating the game because we had such nice and FREE content put into it. :wink:
    Bigger.jpg

That's great but no one said you would start hating it?

I don't see how anyone can hate free content.

On a personal note I am enjoying the game now we have toddlers. They are the cutest, most unpredictable little sims ever!

It is funny how one little word as "hate" can turn someone on like that. It is just my personal opinion, and I wrote NO in big letters, didn't I? Well, it wasn't my big wish, but I can enjoy them if I want to, or I can skip the life stage by having a birthday party and make them kids right away. It doesn't need to be troublesome.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

--T

Typos

Yes exactly! And collectibles, I just don't bother with them. I'm into the gameplay. Sure it would be nice to have a car (for example) but it's only going to go to the end of the lot or half way down the street so I can wait for stuff like that. It's not important. How long are you going to spend in a car? 5mins? I'm more interested in where my sim is *going* not how they get there, the teleporting stuff really isn't an issue to me, although I don't see why the sims can't just walk down the road for careers and stuff too rather than to the front of the lot. That's a bit odd when if my sims goes to a neighbours she walks *over* to the neighbour or down the road she can't do that to go to work too. And coming home. It would give more of a 'coming and going' feeling like the townies walking around.

--T

I agree.

Oh, regarding the walking to/from schools and careers thing, I currently have a really bad bug right now in Sims 4, where my sims are walking long ways to get to the teleportation areas to get to and from work/school. Takes forever for my sims to travel. They are getting late to work/school a lot more often now! :disappointed::confounded:

Ugh, that late school/work bug is giving me flashbacks to my really bad experiences with the Sims 3 open world tediousness. :cry:

Give me the quick teleportation, or a car/bus going offscreen like Sims 1/2, any day.

/Rant

Anyway, to get back on topic: I think with the toddler patch, I am having hope that the sims 4 is back on track to providing more indepth gameplay and hopefully providing more customization options or more building tools for builders, etc. :smile:
    (She/her)
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    Everyone complained about toddlers missing cant others complain about Open World lol, remembering not everyone wanted toddlers (one person hounded for daring to say so lol)
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member

He's talking about base game to base game, which, yes you can compare. As of release date TS4 will never match to TS3. TS3 had more in it, simple fact. TS4 is getting there *now* but both of them at launch? TS3 will win every time.

--T

Comparison of base games then I'd definitely agree.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Now that Toddlers have arrived it will be interesting to see how the temperature of this forum will change.
    How does this announcement affect your opinion of the game overall?

It doesn't change anything for me personal. I have loved the game since day 1. The small critters do make it more challenging for sure but also even more fun, And NO, I won't start hating the game because we had such nice and FREE content put into it. :wink:
    Bigger.jpg

That's great but no one said you would start hating it?

I don't see how anyone can hate free content.

On a personal note I am enjoying the game now we have toddlers. They are the cutest, most unpredictable little sims ever!

It is funny how one little word as "hate" can turn someone on like that. It is just my personal opinion, and I wrote NO in big letters, didn't I? Well, it wasn't my big wish, but I can enjoy them if I want to, or I can skip the life stage by having a birthday party and make them kids right away. It doesn't need to be troublesome.

I responded because you said you wouldn't start hating the game because of free content and I thought that was an unusual thing to say. You like the game after all.
    Free content wouldn't change that. As you said you can age them up right away.

You are allowed your opinion. Again I never said otherwise. Happy Simming
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Everyone complained about toddlers missing cant others complain about Open World lol, remembering not everyone wanted toddlers (one person hounded for daring to say so lol)

Sure people can voice opinions.

I just feel they are different things. Toddlers never gave me performance problems in Sims 2 which was closed world.

It's all about what we think the game coding can handle and what resources will have to be used and what will be sacrificed (like the details and open working restaurants/home businesses, less tot interactions, etc, from Sims 2) to make the feature happen.

I just disagree with the open world thing being an essential feature. Even if Sims 4 had open world, there are still other flaws/problems with Sims 4, (just like other simmers keep reminding us toddler lovers who are happy with tots that tots wouldn't solve everything, either).

It's a difference of opinion, and we have different priorities, and that's fine.

I am still allowed to state my personal dislike and dissatisfaction with open world.

If full-open world is going to be a thing, player feedback should be taken into consideration of how it was done in the past.

I was not satisfied in the past, and I am skeptical of the feature, so I am allowed to voice my opinion about it.

I will just not be supporting open world, personally. I hope there are options or compromise like semi-open for those of us who are not fond of that feature.

People who dislike toddlers can use Cakes or cheats to Age up as an option. With open world, I don't have that kind of choice.

I am still a Sims player as far back as Sims 1, so I would like to think my opinion is as valid as the opinions stated by those who love Sims 3. I am not old, either. Not even 30 yet.
    (She/her)
  • Options
    WILDFLOWER1971WILDFLOWER1971 Posts: 211 Member
    I love sims 4, I missed the toddlers from sims 3. When I first switched to sims 4 there were a lot of differences that i was not sure i was going to like. The game grew on me and now that we have toddlers it just makes the life spans more real. Now i just wish i could toggle seasons on and off so i could play my sims in the season i am living in at the time. Christmas is not Christmas without snow. being able to toggle a season on and off would be great.
    James 3:13
    Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom.

https://facebook.com/PiperSims4Gaming/?ref=bookmarks
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    edited January 2017
    Open world is a big deal.... even if there was a way they could partially open it up would be grand. And definitely need more lots in each world. this 5 to 10 open lots thing is not good. I think it's ridiculous that a sim can't walk across the street without a loading screen.

and I know this is a little thing but... why did they get rid of the Sims theme song? I keep thinking...maybe this wasn't supposed to be a Sims game.... maybe it was to be a brand new something else? Cause TS4 just didn't ever feel like a Sims game. It's closer to a sims game now, with Toddlers and all the additional things....but Like I said before, it's just now what the base game should have been. Of course, I have not played the game since I uninstalled it a few months ago. I see no reason to reinstall at this time. I'll see what people say about Pets, when it comes out... and if by some miracle they are able to add weather..... well that would make it more like a sims game. I know we will never get a open world... the game engine just doesn't allow for that. But if they give the builders some love, and give us some really great building content....that might just be the key to convince me to re-install.

Still.... I don't hate it. I just think by the time they get around to putting in things that everyone (all the different player types) would like to see in the game....most of us will have found a substitute. Most of us have already. We come to the forums to see what everyone thinks of what ever new content has been offered or patched in. But, when we see it's still no where near what our substitutes are generating for us.... we give up. If the Gurus start communicating a bit more (other than twitter) it would be more encouraging.

Post edited by thevogel on
  • Options
    @thevogel Well said :smile:

The sad thing is the game was not originally meant to be a Sims game anyway so a lot of production time was wasted on making an online game. Had the avoided that route then I don't think that TS4 would have half the issues that it has now

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Open world is a big deal.... even if there was a way they could partially open it up would be grand. And definitely need more lots in each world. this 5 to 10 open lots thing is not good. I think it's ridiculous that a sim can't walk across the street without a loading screen.

and I know this is a little thing but... why did they get rid of the Sims theme song? I keep thinking...maybe this wasn't supposed to be a Sims game.... maybe it was to be a brand new something else? Cause TS4 just didn't ever feel like a Sims game. It's closer to a sims game now, with Toddlers and all the additional things....but Like I said before, it's just now what the base game should have been. Of course, I have not played the game since I uninstalled it a few months ago. I see no reason to reinstall at this time. I'll see what people say about Pets, when it comes out... and if by some miracle they are able to add weather..... well that would make it more like a sims game. I know we will never get a open world... the game engine just doesn't allow for that. But if they give the builders some love, and give us some really great building content....that might just be the key to convince me to re-install.

Still.... I don't hate it. I just think by the time they get around to putting in things that everyone (all the different player types) would like to see in the game....most of us will have found a substitute. Most of us have already. We come to the forums to see what everything thinks of what ever new content has been offered or patched in. But, when we see it's still no where near what our substitutes are generating for us.... we give up. If the Gurus start communicating a bit more (other than twitter) it would be more encouraging.

Isn't the song different in every iteration? (sorry if I'm wrong about this, I can't remember :))
  • Options

Isn't the song different in every iteration? (sorry if I'm wrong about this, I can't remember :))

Nope... is the same catchy tune, just a different version of it. They went all out in TS3... and did a disco version, a symphony version, a rock version... depending on the EP. But the theme was the same as the original Sims game. It was in TS2 as well.

This is the only sims game that doesn't have the Sims Theme song.

• Options
    Aw really? I mean, I can hear some resemblance but I didn't think this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skM8PLJkx2Y and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34B_QDoZy64 was really supposed to be the same song :D But yeah, I mean, it's very possible :) I have to say though that I kinda prefer the TS4 theme song to the one from TS3 (it makes me nervous haha :D).
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I hope the future of sims (like Sims 5) will give lots of features for many simmers.

(I just can't join in the enjoyment for Sims 5 if it is too much like Sims 3 again. That is when I have to stop off the Sims train and continue playing non-Sims games.)
    (She/her)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    was really supposed to be the same song :D But yeah, I mean, it's very possible :) I have to say though that I kinda prefer the TS4 theme song to the one from TS3 (it makes me nervous haha :D).

here it is from TS2.

This really was the common theme throughout. But the game has several songs it uses in the "sountrack" of the sims.

just a different version...same general theme. it's there

You get my point... it's just a little thing. but it really was something unique to the series.