Edited this post to make more sense in 2019.
Since TS4 launched, we have finally had some attention from the devs when it comes to family play. We got our beloved toddlers back, as well as packs like Parenthood which improves family play a lot. But there's still a glaring issue for me, and that is the babies!
I love to decorate nurseries when my sims are pregnant. Granted, I have to use mostly CC because the game lacks baby objects, but I don't mind. What I do mind is that when the baby arrives, he pops into the bassinet and that's it, that's the baby lifestage for you. They stay there for the rest of their baby days and the nursery is just decor that will never be used.
Considering TS4's version of toddlers are a bit more grown up and independent than previous games, I think it would be a great opportunity to have the babies a bit more fleshed out too and be a more meaningful lifestage.
So here are my ideas!
- New event: baby shower!
Oh, they joy of being pregnant and sharing that joy with your friends and family! I think a baby shower would make for a really fun and different event in the game.
- More baby furniture/objects and freedom to move the babies around!
- Guests: I don't think it should be limited to females though. If I want to invite my sims' whole family, I should be able to do it. Guests could come up to the pregnant sim, congratulate her, ask to feel the belly, etc.
- Gifts: Similar to the pile of presents we have in the game already. Guests would leave a present on the pile when they arrive. Gifts could be anything from the "kids" category. When the pregnant sim decides to open the gifts, everyone would gather around to watch and go "aaww".
- Other activities: A gender reveal balloon! This could be especially cute if we could do it with the father too.
I think we should, at the very least, have more options of where we can put the babies, instead of them being always glued to the bassinet. These could be great gifts for the baby shower too.
- Let us take care of them.
- Baby mats: They could play with the hanging toys, move their little arms and legs around, chew on their foot, and sleep when they get tired. We could have an interaction where they could try to sit up with the help of a parent. "Sitting up" could be a hidden skill.
- "Sit-me-up" seats: They could use them once they learn how to sit up. They could play with toys around them and some seats could bounce around.
- Baby swings: Kind of like the ones we had in TS3. Babies could also sleep in them and sims could come over and interact with the them, playing peekaboo, for example.
- Strollers: We could go for a walk around the neighborhood with the baby. Maybe walk the dog at the same time? If we encounter a family member or friend, they could coo at the baby on the stroller. We should also be able to travel to other lots with the baby on the stroller.
It saddens me that babies barely need any attention. We can't give the little ones a bath and we have to change their diapers in the bassinet. Please fix that.
- More interactions with other sims.
- Changing tables: It would be cute to have a few little interactions while changing the diapers, like kissing the baby's feet, tickle them and make them laugh, etc. This could work for toddlers too since it's weird seeing their diapers being changed while they are standing up.
- Bath in the sink: I loved this little interaction in TS2. Sims could get a moodlet when they give their baby their first bath.
- Rocking chair: A new object that would allow sims to sit down with the baby to feed them. I love that we have breastfeed in the game, but it bothers me that the sim does it standing. I really want a rocking chair where you can do this and also rock the baby to sleep and sing for them (it could also work for toddlers). It would be cute if a tired parent would fall asleep along with the baby.
We have a few with adult sims, but after a while they all feel like the same thing. We need more.
- With children and toddlers: Children should be able to interact more with the baby. Maybe ask the parent if they can hold the baby, and the parent would obviously help them. Children and toddlers could play peekaboo with babies, tickle them, kiss them, hug them, etc.
- Between two sims: I loved that in past games when someone was holding a baby, another sim could come over and start playing with them. I really want both parents to be able to interact with the baby at the same time.
If you have ideas of your own, please share.