Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think they are even working on toddlers?

Comments

• Options
    IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    @Orchid13 Like i said, it's nice to share opinions, but not as facts. I don't like the 'silence policy' any more than anyone else does, but we can't really claim to know much about it. I hope that we at least get some kind of news soon (good or bad), I feel everyone's getting antsy waiting for an announcement.
  • Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    I'm hoping that the lack of announcements lately will lead up to something really cool they will unveil... But EA never ceases to disappoint me..
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    edited March 2016
    ebuchala wrote: »
    Once you upload something onto the Internet, where it is readily available for everyone, you loose say on what is or is not done to it.
    If you have boundaries like that it's your responsibility to say on every single post of a picture to request that people don't alter your photos in any way-and if you have issues take it to the mods.

Coming from a background of someone who spent 10+ years making their income from items that relied heavily on artwork (both others and my own), comments like these are really quite disturbing because they show a stunning lack of understanding about copyrights and, frankly, of respect for other people's work. While I understand, probably better than many here, that we aren't talking actual copyright infringement in this particular instance, you are still talking about someone's creative vision for something, which is almost always extremely personal.

Just because something is uploaded to the internet does not in any way make it fair game for every Joe Schmoe out there to do what they will with it. Practically speaking, this may not be something you can directly control in every situation, but that doesn't make it any less true. If I share a photo of my daughter on my blog, that does not mean someone has the right to steal that image and use it to advertise their product. Or turn it into a meme and share it on every social media platform they own. Or make a poster of it and hang it in their bedroom. Not only is that, technically, illegal, it's incredibly disrespectful of the photographer, let alone my daughter.

So, @drake_mccarty you are completely wrong--just because something is posted on the internet does not mean the person who shared it loses all right to control it's use. The Digital Rights Millennium Act was put in place to help prevent this sort of thing and our copyright laws already covered much of it in the US. I'm fairly sure most countries have similar laws in place for of art and copyrightable works especially since most countries have agreements in place regarding copyrights held in other countries (only one major country I can think of offhand being the exception).

@sparkfairy1 it is NOT the responsibility of the person who posts something to request people don't alter their work. It's the responsibility of someone who wants to use something that doesn't belong to them and change it for whatever reason to request PERMISSION from the owner to do these things. How many threads have we seen people get upset on here about people taking the sims they create, altering them just a little and posting them as their own in the gallery. Or lots. So, the person who shares it is at fault because they didn't state people aren't allowed to alter their work? How does that make any sense whatsoever? It's common sense that if something doesn't belong to you, you don't use it without permission.

With all that said, actual copyright isn't the issue here because EA owns it all, we're just playing in their sandbox. That doesn't negate the respect people should have for someone else's personal Sims creations in whatever form they are presented here in the forum.

Everything you said is true, but there's ethics and then there's the law. A lot of what is posted on the internet does become public domain, even EA has trouble tracking down foreign companies that use their pictures to advertise other non- EA related products. People are plum sometimes.

Also, I sincerely hope you are not posting pictures of your children on the internet and banking on the integrity of others. I've seen pictures of young children being turned into sex symbols by perverts who use photoshop, and it's not even technically child 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if there's no nudity. The internet is a dark, dark place full of nasty people. I recommend using snapchat to text pictures of your kids to friends and family- that way they can see the pics but it goes away after a set period of time.

Edit: they didn't censor the bad word I use, so I self censored.
    Post edited by agent_bev on
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I choose to hope that toddlers will be added at some point. I feel like the longer EA stays silent on them, the bigger backlash there would be if they were announced to never be put back in the game. So why not just tell players the truth from the get-go? Instead of outright denying toddlers will/could/should be added, the team has stickied a toddler topic (I know that isn't proof btw but it just doesn't seem smart to give people more of a reason to speculate on something that won't happen). The team's silence on them makes me think that toddlers are at the very least being looked into enough to be considered 'future content' which is something their prohibited to talk about. I just can't buy that a company that's been around for so long would want to fuel the fire and create an eventual inferno, instead of lighting a match early on and just dealing with the consequences. Silence on this topic just digs them deeper into a hole, and the only way out seems to be to give people the content that they want.

It would make more sense if they wanted to surprise people with toddlers some time in the future, rather than surprising everyone with the news that they were never an option. :)

It's like pulling off a bandaid, EA. If you have something to say, get it over with quick.

I agree. It's so weird that now the stickied a toddlers topic. I wonder if its so people start speculating or if its a way to "respond" to all the angry comments in hopes people will forget about it and just have fun talking about what they would like to see in toddlers till it fades away.

Exactly. Don't worry, in a week or two, when they feel it safe to unpin the thread, they will do so. But they really think toddler threads will stop once they give people a bone. How cute. When one loses all trust for anyone, you think the worst, and usually, your gut instincts are right. Toddlers won't be in this iteration and they never were worked on pre-release in the first place.

I think more like you. I'm actually quite negative about this and like I've said many times I don't really like or trust this team.
    I may be in the minority here but I love that babies are now tied to their bassinet. Now my sims can't leave them outside under a tree or down the road in a park. With that said I think toddlers are coming in the next year.

You are the minority. I tried to have a home business with the retail system in GTW, of course that's impossible and the solution simmers gave to me was that I could buy a retail lot and have my sims live there and just leave my residential lot empty. When my sim had a baby, the baby couldn't stay at my retail store so the bassinet was just left in the empty residential lot why the whole family lived in the retail lot.

That day I stopped playing with babies.

I agree. I also am confused by the level of frustration some players have toward sims putting babies on the floor. I roll my eyes at my sims when they do it, but it's not a difficult thing to correct. Click on crib, select "place *baby's name* in crib" and problem solved, right? Or is there something I'm missing?

As for whether toddlers are coming, I don't know. I've been burned by hoping so many times in the past that I'm reluctant to be hopeful now. But the stickied toddler idea thread sure makes me wonder, along with the lack of any sort of Sims 4 news/announcements over the last weeks. I wonder if that means we have a HUGE announcement coming. Then again, I'm also feeling very skeptical with how Sims 4 seems to have limped along compared to earlier versions, and how much the whole thing reminds me of the SimCity 2014 debacle. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Many people think we'll have a big announcement cause of all the silence. I would think so too, except that I'm already used to this silence, and every time we think is due to something big, is because they are actually doing a bad job with something.
    While all the negative possibilities could be true, a positive outcome could also come to happen. No one can know for sure unless they tell us. As for the silence policy, some people working on the sims may disagree with it, while others may push for it to stay. No matter what, though (even if some of the employees agree that it's ridiculous) there isn't anything much they can do to get around it until the rule is taken away. With such a large amount of conflicting variables and mandatory silence, it's hard to know what we should believe.

To me the silence policy is a lie. They said they weren't working on pets, so why can't they say we are not working on toddlers? Or we are working on toddlers? There. Short.

I choose to hope that toddlers will be added at some point. I feel like the longer EA stays silent on them, the bigger backlash there would be if they were announced to never be put back in the game. So why not just tell players the truth from the get-go? Instead of outright denying toddlers will/could/should be added, the team has stickied a toddler topic (I know that isn't proof btw but it just doesn't seem smart to give people more of a reason to speculate on something that won't happen). The team's silence on them makes me think that toddlers are at the very least being looked into enough to be considered 'future content' which is something their prohibited to talk about. I just can't buy that a company that's been around for so long would want to fuel the fire and create an eventual inferno, instead of lighting a match early on and just dealing with the consequences. Silence on this topic just digs them deeper into a hole, and the only way out seems to be to give people the content that they want.

It would make more sense if they wanted to surprise people with toddlers some time in the future, rather than surprising everyone with the news that they were never an option. :)

It's like pulling off a bandaid, EA. If you have something to say, get it over with quick.

I agree. It's so weird that now the stickied a toddlers topic. I wonder if its so people start speculating or if its a way to "respond" to all the angry comments in hopes people will forget about it and just have fun talking about what they would like to see in toddlers till it fades away.

I think it serves as a place where they can easily go and see feedback, but I also think it's to try and eliminate chatter about toddlers in separate threads. Which IMO only serves to cut down on toddler chatter.

Idk if they will be developed or not, but I agree Maxis needs to come out with an answer at some point.

I feel like if they're thinking it'll fade away, they're being too optimistic. :D Toddlers are something people have been fighting for since day one, and now being given hope by the thread I doubt everyone rallying for toddlers will just go quietly into the night.

I mean, if they are asking for feedback on toddlers, does this mean they haven't been working on them at all? Toddlers take a long time to develop. I have a horrible feeling about the thread they stuck.

This could go wrong in so many ways. I mean one: They haven't worked on toddlers at all and they actually care about the opinion of simmers, which seems unlikely. Two: they are hoping people will forget about the fact that toddlers are missing by giving guru fans the idea that they actually care about their feedback and the angry comments will fade away (I think its pretty possible). Three: They actually care so much about the ridiculous silence policy that they rather use this as a distraction, and toddlers are being worked on , but they are probablly half baked and will never nearly have all the stuff people are posting on that thread (it sounds ridiculous, but like something this team would do)

It could be any one of those options. I think it's pretty telling enough that they have stickied a thread that contains feedback that has been given time and time again on these boards. Says to me that they were not listening about toddlers, and even the new sticky really doesn't tell me anything differently.

Personally I could see this all being a way for toddler chatter to fade away, it won't, but I definitely see that as an option. If they are seriously looking for ideas on toddlers, then it tells me they are not being made right now. IMO I am sick of beating a dead horse on the subject, Maxis has been well aware of what people wanted even before the game came out. If this is a thread actually intended to give them ideas, great, but I have done my part of providing what I feel the game needs over and over. I really don't have any indication that this round will be any different. They had their time to come out and redeem themselves to me, and other family players, and unfortunately I'm not interested in continuing to support a franchise that really has no interest in its players.

Exactly. I mean haven't we been saying stuff about toddlers and babies since even before the game came out?

I will answer you. Yes. But SimGuruBChick said a long time ago if you want something instead of just giving feedback you have to put it in the Ideas section of this forum which is where I suggested Sparkfairy make a new thread so they could actually read ideas. (since I felt they were going to ignore a large (Huge) thread about family play. Ideas are what they look at. And it sort of defeats (by what that guru said months ago) a whole stickied Feedback thread, too. Go figure. And why they moved the new Ideas thread to General is another strange thing (to me at least).

Everything usually gets moved to feedback. Sparksfairy had this huge thread about EA Silence , well I think it was her and its hugeeee. If anything that should be pinned.

As far as them listening to ideas... to me thats just a lot of bla bla. I can't think of any huge additions gurus made to the sims 4 that people actually wanted.

Also in theory if toddlers were being worked on it would probably be too late to add any new things. I mean we all know everything is "too hard and too expensive" and we get the stuff gurus decide we get. To me, our opinions hardly matter to them.

Or they misread feedback. Like when people complained they were sick and tired of neighbors using all their Sims stuff without asking. They patched in Inappropriate against our Sims. Lol totally backwards.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2016
    Don't you find it a little telling when they used to keep moving the toddler threads to feedback or ideas and this thread that was started on feedback I believe - was moved to general on purpose by the Guru's and on top of that stickied to the top of the General forum so everyone can see it.

In the past the Gurus have not encourage talk about the game that did not exist in the main forum in particularly - toddlers- unless you were talking about a previous Sims game - but I sort of felt something was up about 3 to 4 or so weeks ago when they stop rushing the toddler threads out of the general forum like they had been doing. Or at least seemed to... and they are encouraging us to talk about what we want for toddlers specifically. It even states if you don't want toddlers to not reply to that thread. They remove threads not talking about toddler play in fact. So if that is not saying the tides have turned - then nothing is - well at least to me. The whole atmosphere has changed... and it is growing all over the internet. Do you honestly believe they would encourage that if toddlers were not going to happen?

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Don't you find it a little telling when they used to keep moving the toddler threads to feedback or ideas and this thread that was started on feedback I believe - was moved to general on purpose by the Guru's and on top of that stickied to the top of the General forum so everyone can see it.

In the past the Gurus have not encourage talk about the game that did not exist in the main forum in particularly - toddlers- unless you were talking about a previous Sims game - but I sort of felt something was up about 3 to 4 or so weeks ago when they stop rushing the toddler threads out of the general forum like they had been doing. Or at least seemed to... and they are encouraging us to talk about what we want for toddlers specifically. It even states if you don't want toddlers to not reply to that thread. They remove threads not talking about toddler play in fact. So if that is not saying the tides have turned - then nothing is - well at least to me. The whole atmosphere has changed... and it is growing all over the internet. Do you honestly believe they would encourage that if toddlers were not going to happen?

Yes. I honestly believe they would do that even if it's not happening. But it's good to see they put it at the top so people can express what they love about toddlers and new ideas. SimGuruLyndsay stopped by once. Not sure she is still reading it. And I guess it is up to her whether we get them or not. Maybe they are mulling over that idea about preteens and toddler EP that was on the survey and I wouldn't want to pay for toddlers but I feel if the EP gave me much, much more for family play (new stuff never seen before like a Generations EP not base game content in the others) I might be willing to buy it not just for toddles but actual new, never before seen gameplay concerning families. If they can do that, then it would actually be new ideas.
  • Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    It's actually quite sad. The stickied thread has people excited and new people are posting that rarely, if ever, post in the forums. Everyone is getting so stoked at the prospect of actually getting toddlers added as real life stage. I really thought this was an indication that they were coming maybe by Christmas. I really hope this isn't simply an attempt to contain the toddler debate and the ugly arguing it seems to spur between those that want them and those that think we are being ridiculous for wanting them.

Honestly, I got hyped up reading through the stickied thread and posted a few things as a lot of you have also done. Reading through this one brought me back down to earth with a thud. :'(

I stopped buying after GTW and refuse to buy another thing unless they bring back decent toddlers and hopefully free the babies from the cribs. Everytime I try to play I get turned off when my couple has a baby and it is close to time for them to grow up. I find myself not wanting to continue knowing that a 10 year old will jump out of the crib. And for storytelling, you just have to skip the next 8-10 years of your sims life. "Time just flew by....before we could turn around our little Sally was 10 years old. It seemed like she just flew outta that crib and started school." Oh, wait, she did. Whatever.

So I am officially not holding my breath. If it does happen and we do get them I will be catching up on everything I haven't bought so far but until then.....they will get $0.00 from me.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

Exactly. Don't worry, in a week or two, when they feel it safe to unpin the thread, they will do so. But they really think toddler threads will stop once they give people a bone. How cute. When one loses all trust for anyone, you think the worst, and usually, your gut instincts are right. Toddlers won't be in this iteration and they never were worked on pre-release in the first place.

I think more like you. I'm actually quite negative about this and like I've said many times I don't really like or trust this team.
    I may be in the minority here but I love that babies are now tied to their bassinet. Now my sims can't leave them outside under a tree or down the road in a park. With that said I think toddlers are coming in the next year.

You are the minority. I tried to have a home business with the retail system in GTW, of course that's impossible and the solution simmers gave to me was that I could buy a retail lot and have my sims live there and just leave my residential lot empty. When my sim had a baby, the baby couldn't stay at my retail store so the bassinet was just left in the empty residential lot why the whole family lived in the retail lot.

I agree. I also am confused by the level of frustration some players have toward sims putting babies on the floor. I roll my eyes at my sims when they do it, but it's not a difficult thing to correct. Click on crib, select "place *baby's name* in crib" and problem solved, right? Or is there something I'm missing?

As for whether toddlers are coming, I don't know. I've been burned by hoping so many times in the past that I'm reluctant to be hopeful now. But the stickied toddler idea thread sure makes me wonder, along with the lack of any sort of Sims 4 news/announcements over the last weeks. I wonder if that means we have a HUGE announcement coming. Then again, I'm also feeling very skeptical with how Sims 4 seems to have limped along compared to earlier versions, and how much the whole thing reminds me of the SimCity 2014 debacle. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Many people think we'll have a big announcement cause of all the silence. I would think so too, except that I'm already used to this silence, and every time we think is due to something big, is because they are actually doing a bad job with something.
    While all the negative possibilities could be true, a positive outcome could also come to happen. No one can know for sure unless they tell us. As for the silence policy, some people working on the sims may disagree with it, while others may push for it to stay. No matter what, though (even if some of the employees agree that it's ridiculous) there isn't anything much they can do to get around it until the rule is taken away. With such a large amount of conflicting variables and mandatory silence, it's hard to know what we should believe.

To me the silence policy is a lie. They said they weren't working on pets, so why can't they say we are not working on toddlers? Or we are working on toddlers? There. Short.

I think it serves as a place where they can easily go and see feedback, but I also think it's to try and eliminate chatter about toddlers in separate threads. Which IMO only serves to cut down on toddler chatter.

Idk if they will be developed or not, but I agree Maxis needs to come out with an answer at some point.

I feel like if they're thinking it'll fade away, they're being too optimistic. :D Toddlers are something people have been fighting for since day one, and now being given hope by the thread I doubt everyone rallying for toddlers will just go quietly into the night.

I mean, if they are asking for feedback on toddlers, does this mean they haven't been working on them at all? Toddlers take a long time to develop. I have a horrible feeling about the thread they stuck.

This could go wrong in so many ways. I mean one: They haven't worked on toddlers at all and they actually care about the opinion of simmers, which seems unlikely. Two: they are hoping people will forget about the fact that toddlers are missing by giving guru fans the idea that they actually care about their feedback and the angry comments will fade away (I think its pretty possible). Three: They actually care so much about the ridiculous silence policy that they rather use this as a distraction, and toddlers are being worked on , but they are probablly half baked and will never nearly have all the stuff people are posting on that thread (it sounds ridiculous, but like something this team would do)

It could be any one of those options. I think it's pretty telling enough that they have stickied a thread that contains feedback that has been given time and time again on these boards. Says to me that they were not listening about toddlers, and even the new sticky really doesn't tell me anything differently.

Personally I could see this all being a way for toddler chatter to fade away, it won't, but I definitely see that as an option. If they are seriously looking for ideas on toddlers, then it tells me they are not being made right now. IMO I am sick of beating a dead horse on the subject, Maxis has been well aware of what people wanted even before the game came out. If this is a thread actually intended to give them ideas, great, but I have done my part of providing what I feel the game needs over and over. I really don't have any indication that this round will be any different. They had their time to come out and redeem themselves to me, and other family players, and unfortunately I'm not interested in continuing to support a franchise that really has no interest in its players.

Exactly. I mean haven't we been saying stuff about toddlers and babies since even before the game came out?

I will answer you. Yes. But SimGuruBChick said a long time ago if you want something instead of just giving feedback you have to put it in the Ideas section of this forum which is where I suggested Sparkfairy make a new thread so they could actually read ideas. (since I felt they were going to ignore a large (Huge) thread about family play. Ideas are what they look at. And it sort of defeats (by what that guru said months ago) a whole stickied Feedback thread, too. Go figure. And why they moved the new Ideas thread to General is another strange thing (to me at least).

The mods moved the family thread to feedback when they were reorganising the forums and shuffling things over complaints that 'negative' threads were 'too' prominent in General.

As for the rest of this to and fro. Yet again this isn't about 'sides' and it's disappointing that is still going on around here. The poster clarified after the person misread the intent of their comment to attempt to deal with and diffuse the situation and instead the name calling continued. I don't care where you stand on the game-that is not on.

As for the stickied thread? I've no idea if it means anything. However what's nice is how much people are enjoying coming up with their ideas and other people's too. If nothing else there will be no excuse for them not to know what a lot of people want and patterns of what requests are popular.
  • Options

Yes @Writin_Reg it does seem interesting the different approach. They put the family thread over in feedback when they split the sections.

The ideas at a glance I started in ideas because @mskube and @Cinebar suggested I did :)
  • Options

The mods moved the family thread to feedback when they were reorganising the forums and shuffling things over complaints that 'negative' threads were 'too' prominent in General.

As for the rest of this to and fro. Yet again this isn't about 'sides' and it's disappointing that is still going on around here. The poster clarified after the person misread the intent of their comment to attempt to deal with and diffuse the situation and instead the name calling continued. I don't care where you stand on the game-that is not on.

As for the stickied thread? I've no idea if it means anything. However what's nice is how much people are enjoying coming up with their ideas and other people's too. If nothing else there will be no excuse for them not to know what a lot of people want and patterns of what requests are popular.

Yeah, I'm happy Drake made it announcement. I even added a few of my own ideas. But, I remain skeptical if anything happens. Because we had a big thread like that on TS3 at one time in Ideas and they seemed to have missed it for five years. Or their game data said we weren't playing them. I hope they take it to heart and do something about it. It's so much fun to see all those thoughts in a positive way and see all those adorable pictures. I hope they glean something from it.
  • Options

Yeah, I'm happy Drake made it announcement. I even added a few of my own ideas. But, I remain skeptical if anything happens. Because we had a big thread like that on TS3 at one time in Ideas and they seemed to have missed it for five years. Or their game data said we weren't playing them. I hope they take it to heart and do something about it. It's so much fun to see all those thoughts in a positive way and see all those adorable pictures. I hope they glean something from it.

I agree. I'm firmly in the 'believe it when I see it EA' camp! So do I. It would be pretty sad to let the opportunity pass. But I no longer expect much of EA so it could go any way.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited March 2016

I believe they would. Consider what you've said already. They had one of their calls about everything making money, barring TS4. I'm going to choose that as my focal point, at least for now. I'm going to come over terribly cynical, and I will hold my hand up and admit to that. Supposing TS4 is flatlining in profits. Entirely feasible. They've not released anything in about a month (?). They've no intention of releasing anything for another few weeks. (I'm hypothesising) They want us to keep talking about TS4, in the hopes that they can bump up sales. What's the one thing that would do that. Toddlers. If they a) couldn't release them for a while or b) weren't intending on releasing them period but they wanted to make it sound like they're listening and participating. Get us talking about it, simply by stickying a thread. Release interviews periodically so that we can get to know the gurus. Let the gurus talk more on the forums. Of course the Sim News Sites pick it up. All without ever releasing toddlers or spending anything. They get word of mouth sales because 'toddlers are coming' and the gurus are talking to us all, yet they changed nothing.

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    agent_bev wrote: »
    Once you upload something onto the Internet, where it is readily available for everyone, you loose say on what is or is not done to it.
    If you have boundaries like that it's your responsibility to say on every single post of a picture to request that people don't alter your photos in any way-and if you have issues take it to the mods.

Coming from a background of someone who spent 10+ years making their income from items that relied heavily on artwork (both others and my own), comments like these are really quite disturbing because they show a stunning lack of understanding about copyrights and, frankly, of respect for other people's work. While I understand, probably better than many here, that we aren't talking actual copyright infringement in this particular instance, you are still talking about someone's creative vision for something, which is almost always extremely personal.

Just because something is uploaded to the internet does not in any way make it fair game for every Joe Schmoe out there to do what they will with it. Practically speaking, this may not be something you can directly control in every situation, but that doesn't make it any less true. If I share a photo of my daughter on my blog, that does not mean someone has the right to steal that image and use it to advertise their product. Or turn it into a meme and share it on every social media platform they own. Or make a poster of it and hang it in their bedroom. Not only is that, technically, illegal, it's incredibly disrespectful of the photographer, let alone my daughter.

So, @drake_mccarty you are completely wrong--just because something is posted on the internet does not mean the person who shared it loses all right to control it's use. The Digital Rights Millennium Act was put in place to help prevent this sort of thing and our copyright laws already covered much of it in the US. I'm fairly sure most countries have similar laws in place for of art and copyrightable works especially since most countries have agreements in place regarding copyrights held in other countries (only one major country I can think of offhand being the exception).

@sparkfairy1 it is NOT the responsibility of the person who posts something to request people don't alter their work. It's the responsibility of someone who wants to use something that doesn't belong to them and change it for whatever reason to request PERMISSION from the owner to do these things. How many threads have we seen people get upset on here about people taking the sims they create, altering them just a little and posting them as their own in the gallery. Or lots. So, the person who shares it is at fault because they didn't state people aren't allowed to alter their work? How does that make any sense whatsoever? It's common sense that if something doesn't belong to you, you don't use it without permission.

With all that said, actual copyright isn't the issue here because EA owns it all, we're just playing in their sandbox. That doesn't negate the respect people should have for someone else's personal Sims creations in whatever form they are presented here in the forum.

Everything you said is true, but there's ethics and then there's the law. A lot of what is posted on the internet does become public domain, even EA has trouble tracking down foreign companies that use their pictures to advertise other non- EA related products. People are dickbags sometimes.

Also, I sincerely hope you are not posting pictures of your children on the internet and banking on the integrity of others. I've seen pictures of young children being turned into sex symbols by perverts who use photoshop, and it's not even technically child 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if there's no nudity. The internet is a dark, dark place full of nasty people. I recommend using snapchat to text pictures of your kids to friends and family- that way they can see the pics but it goes away after a set period of time.

Posting something on the internet does not cause it to enter the public domain. Works enter the public domain by virtue of the copyright period expiring (this post of mine? it will enter the public domain many decades after my death); by being published by an entity whose works the law defines as public domain (e.g., the U.S. Government in the U.S., but nothing at all in my country); or, in countries where it is possible, by deliberately assigning your work to the public domain. That's it. Everything else is under copyright, even if you can't find the copyright owner.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member

Yes. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if people kept complaining about toddlers and before you knew it they come out and announce TS5.
    AudreyFld wrote: »
    It's actually quite sad. The stickied thread has people excited and new people are posting that rarely, if ever, post in the forums. Everyone is getting so stoked at the prospect of actually getting toddlers added as real life stage. I really thought this was an indication that they were coming maybe by Christmas. I really hope this isn't simply an attempt to contain the toddler debate and the ugly arguing it seems to spur between those that want them and those that think we are being ridiculous for wanting them.

Honestly, I got hyped up reading through the stickied thread and posted a few things as a lot of you have also done. Reading through this one brought me back down to earth with a thud. :'(

I stopped buying after GTW and refuse to buy another thing unless they bring back decent toddlers and hopefully free the babies from the cribs. Everytime I try to play I get turned off when my couple has a baby and it is close to time for them to grow up. I find myself not wanting to continue knowing that a 10 year old will jump out of the crib. And for storytelling, you just have to skip the next 8-10 years of your sims life. "Time just flew by....before we could turn around our little Sally was 10 years old. It seemed like she just flew outta that crib and started school." Oh, wait, she did. Whatever.

So I am officially not holding my breath. If it does happen and we do get them I will be catching up on everything I haven't bought so far but until then.....they will get $0.00 from me.

I'm sorry my thread brought you back down :( . I totally understand how you feel and I yself have stopped playng with families completely :( as for "hints" i don't believe in them so unless its extremely obvious i ignore it :/
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    @Orchid13 - no apologies needed. It is so true - this isn't a hint. I am playing with my TS3 families in the mean time. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Ooh, maybe they are since SGDrake just said No Pack this month....maybe toddlers are being developed? Yes, start the hype train! I for one would ride it.
  • Options
    KrystKryst Posts: 95 Member
    I'm sick of toddler talk and empty-friggin promises
    tumblr_mgr2j44MwG1rpgt2to1_400.gif
    Galaxy defender, stay forever.
  • Options
    Kryst wrote: »
    I'm sick of toddler talk and empty-friggin promises

Yes, but I don't know anybody who wouldn't take a look at a very good Generations EP to flesh out the other life stages more. And to give them more things to do as a family and at home instead of just going to bars all the time.
  • Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member

Everything you said is true, but there's ethics and then there's the law. A lot of what is posted on the internet does become public domain, even EA has trouble tracking down foreign companies that use their pictures to advertise other non- EA related products. People are dickbags sometimes.

Posting something on the internet does not cause it to enter the public domain. Works enter the public domain by virtue of the copyright period expiring (this post of mine? it will enter the public domain many decades after my death); by being published by an entity whose works the law defines as public domain (e.g., the U.S. Government in the U.S., but nothing at all in my country); or, in countries where it is possible, by deliberately assigning your work to the public domain. That's it. Everything else is under copyright, even if you can't find the copyright owner.

But it doesn't belong to you, there's probably some fine print on the TOS here that says what you post here belongs to EA. Just like how there is a fine print on Facebook that says they own the rights to any picture you post on there even after you delete it. Specifically, "under Facebook’s current terms (which can change at anytime), by posting your pictures and videos, you grant Facebook “a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any [IP] content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (“IP License”). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it. Beware of the words “transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license.” This means that Facebook can license your content to others for free without obtaining any other approval from you!" (Source: http://www.nyccounsel.com/business-blogs-websites/who-owns-photos-and-videos-posted-on-facebook-or-twitter/)

I know what you are trying to say, and ethically I agree with you. However, the law has not caught up with this social media age and there's very few laws protecting you internationally and it's difficult to win cases even domestically. I just wanted you to be aware, that is all...so you don't get caught off guard IRL.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited March 2016

But it doesn't belong to you, there's probably some fine print on the TOS here that says what you post here belongs to EA. Just like how there is a fine print on Facebook that says they own the rights to any picture you post on there even after you delete it. Specifically, "under Facebook’s current terms (which can change at anytime), by posting your pictures and videos, you grant Facebook “a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any [IP] content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (“IP License”). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it. Beware of the words “transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license.” This means that Facebook can license your content to others for free without obtaining any other approval from you!" (Source: http://www.nyccounsel.com/business-blogs-websites/who-owns-photos-and-videos-posted-on-facebook-or-twitter/)

I know what you are trying to say, and ethically I agree with you. However, the law has not caught up with this social media age and there's very few laws protecting you internationally and it's difficult to win cases even domestically. I just wanted you to be aware, that is all...so you don't get caught off guard IRL.

You could be right on posts here - I haven't read the ToS recently for the details. They do own screenshots from the game, technically. Either way, the public domain isn't involved for many decades from now. I was just making the point regarding the public domain. Certainly, case law is messy when it comes to anything stored on the internet, but it's messy in the sense of not being clear on whether something violates copyright when it's hotlinked; that it doesn't enter the public domain by virtue of online publication is clear. I'm good on the awareness - I used to teach copyright law to people entering my profession ;)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member

Then in the minority I will happily stay. If EA could program babies to actually be put back into their cribs/bassinets and not be left outside overnight for the wolves to come or left in the kitchen because mommy and daddy gotta go woohoo ASAP, then I would want them not tied to the bassinet. But considering EA can't do this or seem to be unwilling to do this, I'll stick to them being tied to the bassinet. With that said I want toddlers who are free to roam wherever they like as that is what toddlers do. Having them tied to an object would be a crying shame.
  • Options
    AtomicSimmerAtomicSimmer Posts: 1,133 Member
    The Sims 2 and the Sims 4 are two different types of code. It may be difficult or harder to program that kinda thing in.
    ATOMICSIMMER
    Sims Fanboy
    Play with Life
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member

Then in the minority I will happily stay. If EA could program babies to actually be put back into their cribs/bassinets and not be left outside overnight for the wolves to come or left in the kitchen because mommy and daddy gotta go woohoo ASAP, then I would want them not tied to the bassinet. But considering EA can't do this or seem to be unwilling to do this, I'll stick to them being tied to the bassinet. With that said I want toddlers who are free to roam wherever they like as that is what toddlers do. Having them tied to an object would be a crying shame.
    That's also what babies do, or have you never seen an infant crawl?
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif