Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think they are even working on toddlers?

Comments

• Options
    RosemaryThymeRosemaryThyme Posts: 47 Member
    I honestly am not sure if they'll be added in. I WANT them to be added in, but I'm not sure how popular family-style playing is compared to social.

I want to say that I hope they'll be added in, but I'm not sure how much hope I have regarding the addition of toddlers.

And even if they are being worked on, I doubt that the Gurus would or could say.
    Origin ID: Rosemary928
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Someone posted this really nice picture of what toddlers could look like, you can find it here tumblr_nxglg9tk6z1tb81rgo1_540.jpg
    Cute! They look better than the one in the original picture to be honest.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    tonicmoletonicmole Posts: 121 Member
    agent_bev wrote: »
    ebuchala wrote: »
    Once you upload something onto the Internet, where it is readily available for everyone, you loose say on what is or is not done to it.
    If you have boundaries like that it's your responsibility to say on every single post of a picture to request that people don't alter your photos in any way-and if you have issues take it to the mods.

Coming from a background of someone who spent 10+ years making their income from items that relied heavily on artwork (both others and my own), comments like these are really quite disturbing because they show a stunning lack of understanding about copyrights and, frankly, of respect for other people's work. While I understand, probably better than many here, that we aren't talking actual copyright infringement in this particular instance, you are still talking about someone's creative vision for something, which is almost always extremely personal.

Just because something is uploaded to the internet does not in any way make it fair game for every Joe Schmoe out there to do what they will with it. Practically speaking, this may not be something you can directly control in every situation, but that doesn't make it any less true. If I share a photo of my daughter on my blog, that does not mean someone has the right to steal that image and use it to advertise their product. Or turn it into a meme and share it on every social media platform they own. Or make a poster of it and hang it in their bedroom. Not only is that, technically, illegal, it's incredibly disrespectful of the photographer, let alone my daughter.

So, @drake_mccarty you are completely wrong--just because something is posted on the internet does not mean the person who shared it loses all right to control it's use. The Digital Rights Millennium Act was put in place to help prevent this sort of thing and our copyright laws already covered much of it in the US. I'm fairly sure most countries have similar laws in place for of art and copyrightable works especially since most countries have agreements in place regarding copyrights held in other countries (only one major country I can think of offhand being the exception).

@sparkfairy1 it is NOT the responsibility of the person who posts something to request people don't alter their work. It's the responsibility of someone who wants to use something that doesn't belong to them and change it for whatever reason to request PERMISSION from the owner to do these things. How many threads have we seen people get upset on here about people taking the sims they create, altering them just a little and posting them as their own in the gallery. Or lots. So, the person who shares it is at fault because they didn't state people aren't allowed to alter their work? How does that make any sense whatsoever? It's common sense that if something doesn't belong to you, you don't use it without permission.

With all that said, actual copyright isn't the issue here because EA owns it all, we're just playing in their sandbox. That doesn't negate the respect people should have for someone else's personal Sims creations in whatever form they are presented here in the forum.

Everything you said is true, but there's ethics and then there's the law. A lot of what is posted on the internet does become public domain, even EA has trouble tracking down foreign companies that use their pictures to advertise other non- EA related products. People are dickbags sometimes.

Also, I sincerely hope you are not posting pictures of your children on the internet and banking on the integrity of others. I've seen pictures of young children being turned into sex symbols by perverts who use photoshop, and it's not even technically child 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if there's no nudity. The internet is a dark, dark place full of nasty people. I recommend using snapchat to text pictures of your kids to friends and family- that way they can see the pics but it goes away after a set period of time.

Posting something on the internet does not cause it to enter the public domain. Works enter the public domain by virtue of the copyright period expiring (this post of mine? it will enter the public domain many decades after my death); by being published by an entity whose works the law defines as public domain (e.g., the U.S. Government in the U.S., but nothing at all in my country); or, in countries where it is possible, by deliberately assigning your work to the public domain. That's it. Everything else is under copyright, even if you can't find the copyright owner.

But it doesn't belong to you, there's probably some fine print on the TOS here that says what you post here belongs to EA. Just like how there is a fine print on Facebook that says they own the rights to any picture you post on there even after you delete it. Specifically, "under Facebook’s current terms (which can change at anytime), by posting your pictures and videos, you grant Facebook “a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any [IP] content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (“IP License”). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it. Beware of the words “transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license.” This means that Facebook can license your content to others for free without obtaining any other approval from you!" (Source: http://www.nyccounsel.com/business-blogs-websites/who-owns-photos-and-videos-posted-on-facebook-or-twitter/)

I know what you are trying to say, and ethically I agree with you. However, the law has not caught up with this social media age and there's very few laws protecting you internationally and it's difficult to win cases even domestically. I just wanted you to be aware, that is all...so you don't get caught off guard IRL.

You could be right on posts here - I haven't read the ToS recently for the details. They do own screenshots from the game, technically. Either way, the public domain isn't involved for many decades from now. I was just making the point regarding the public domain. Certainly, case law is messy when it comes to anything stored on the internet, but it's messy in the sense of not being clear on whether something violates copyright when it's hotlinked; that it doesn't enter the public domain by virtue of online publication is clear. I'm good on the awareness - I used to teach copyright law to people entering my profession ;)

I'm not so sure about any of that. If you post something publicly your rights are severely compromised. Not exactly the same as public domain, however, almost all hosting sites are free to use the content as they please. As for people yanking it from your social media sites, there have been several cases that ruled posting an image publicly without stating an actual copyright leaves it open to fair use (not saying claiming copyright secures it). They are basically ruling on the same law that says if you are in a public place or viewable from a public location than you are basically giving up your right to not be filmed or photographed. It's not that simple of course, but in no way is your content traditionally protected...well, mainly because of how the technology works specifically. I can repost, or link your image or content without permission. So in some cases you can hold a copyright, yet because of how you posted the content you basically gave an open license for others to use it....though rarely would that include commercially. Long story....still long, there is no yes or no answer, and it depends on not only who, what, when, why, and how you posted something, but whatever court your dealing with's personal opinions. I see a lot of people that have an extreme false since of security about releasing content publicly such as private photo's, mods, and fan art. It's not even remotely black and white.
    What's the deal with the creepy Sim in the yellow shirt, and glasses? The one right up there! I'm guessing what ever he is it starts with "serial".
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    I'm starting to seriously doubt that they're even working on them. It's been what like three years?
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    @barbaraluv86 that's too cute! I really hope they add the hairstyle it's so cute! :D
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    Probably yes. People are wanting them to come back.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited March 2016
    tonicmole wrote: »
    Once you upload something onto the Internet, where it is readily available for everyone, you loose say on what is or is not done to it.
    If you have boundaries like that it's your responsibility to say on every single post of a picture to request that people don't alter your photos in any way-and if you have issues take it to the mods.

Coming from a background of someone who spent 10+ years making their income from items that relied heavily on artwork (both others and my own), comments like these are really quite disturbing because they show a stunning lack of understanding about copyrights and, frankly, of respect for other people's work. While I understand, probably better than many here, that we aren't talking actual copyright infringement in this particular instance, you are still talking about someone's creative vision for something, which is almost always extremely personal.

Just because something is uploaded to the internet does not in any way make it fair game for every Joe Schmoe out there to do what they will with it. Practically speaking, this may not be something you can directly control in every situation, but that doesn't make it any less true. If I share a photo of my daughter on my blog, that does not mean someone has the right to steal that image and use it to advertise their product. Or turn it into a meme and share it on every social media platform they own. Or make a poster of it and hang it in their bedroom. Not only is that, technically, illegal, it's incredibly disrespectful of the photographer, let alone my daughter.

So, @drake_mccarty you are completely wrong--just because something is posted on the internet does not mean the person who shared it loses all right to control it's use. The Digital Rights Millennium Act was put in place to help prevent this sort of thing and our copyright laws already covered much of it in the US. I'm fairly sure most countries have similar laws in place for of art and copyrightable works especially since most countries have agreements in place regarding copyrights held in other countries (only one major country I can think of offhand being the exception).

@sparkfairy1 it is NOT the responsibility of the person who posts something to request people don't alter their work. It's the responsibility of someone who wants to use something that doesn't belong to them and change it for whatever reason to request PERMISSION from the owner to do these things. How many threads have we seen people get upset on here about people taking the sims they create, altering them just a little and posting them as their own in the gallery. Or lots. So, the person who shares it is at fault because they didn't state people aren't allowed to alter their work? How does that make any sense whatsoever? It's common sense that if something doesn't belong to you, you don't use it without permission.

With all that said, actual copyright isn't the issue here because EA owns it all, we're just playing in their sandbox. That doesn't negate the respect people should have for someone else's personal Sims creations in whatever form they are presented here in the forum.

Everything you said is true, but there's ethics and then there's the law. A lot of what is posted on the internet does become public domain, even EA has trouble tracking down foreign companies that use their pictures to advertise other non- EA related products. People are dickbags sometimes.

Also, I sincerely hope you are not posting pictures of your children on the internet and banking on the integrity of others. I've seen pictures of young children being turned into sex symbols by perverts who use photoshop, and it's not even technically child 🐸🐸🐸🐸 if there's no nudity. The internet is a dark, dark place full of nasty people. I recommend using snapchat to text pictures of your kids to friends and family- that way they can see the pics but it goes away after a set period of time.

Posting something on the internet does not cause it to enter the public domain. Works enter the public domain by virtue of the copyright period expiring (this post of mine? it will enter the public domain many decades after my death); by being published by an entity whose works the law defines as public domain (e.g., the U.S. Government in the U.S., but nothing at all in my country); or, in countries where it is possible, by deliberately assigning your work to the public domain. That's it. Everything else is under copyright, even if you can't find the copyright owner.

But it doesn't belong to you, there's probably some fine print on the TOS here that says what you post here belongs to EA. Just like how there is a fine print on Facebook that says they own the rights to any picture you post on there even after you delete it. Specifically, "under Facebook’s current terms (which can change at anytime), by posting your pictures and videos, you grant Facebook “a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any [IP] content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (“IP License”). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it. Beware of the words “transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license.” This means that Facebook can license your content to others for free without obtaining any other approval from you!" (Source: http://www.nyccounsel.com/business-blogs-websites/who-owns-photos-and-videos-posted-on-facebook-or-twitter/)

I know what you are trying to say, and ethically I agree with you. However, the law has not caught up with this social media age and there's very few laws protecting you internationally and it's difficult to win cases even domestically. I just wanted you to be aware, that is all...so you don't get caught off guard IRL.

You could be right on posts here - I haven't read the ToS recently for the details. They do own screenshots from the game, technically. Either way, the public domain isn't involved for many decades from now. I was just making the point regarding the public domain. Certainly, case law is messy when it comes to anything stored on the internet, but it's messy in the sense of not being clear on whether something violates copyright when it's hotlinked; that it doesn't enter the public domain by virtue of online publication is clear. I'm good on the awareness - I used to teach copyright law to people entering my profession ;)

I'm not so sure about any of that. If you post something publicly your rights are severely compromised. Not exactly the same as public domain, however, almost all hosting sites are free to use the content as they please. As for people yanking it from your social media sites, there have been several cases that ruled posting an image publicly without stating an actual copyright leaves it open to fair use (not saying claiming copyright secures it). They are basically ruling on the same law that says if you are in a public place or viewable from a public location than you are basically giving up your right to not be filmed or photographed. It's not that simple of course, but in no way is your content traditionally protected...well, mainly because of how the technology works specifically. I can repost, or link your image or content without permission. So in some cases you can hold a copyright, yet because of how you posted the content you basically gave an open license for others to use it....though rarely would that include commercially. Long story....still long, there is no yes or no answer, and it depends on not only who, what, when, why, and how you posted something, but whatever court your dealing with's personal opinions. I see a lot of people that have an extreme false since of security about releasing content publicly such as private photo's, mods, and fan art. It's not even remotely black and white.

That's because you sign an agreement when you join a site, and that agreement gives the site certain licenses to your work. Most don't actually remove your copyright. You can grant those licenses - such as to display the work to others, use it in promotional material, etc. - because you retain the copyright. Another common one is that a site owns the right to use our suggestions for development - that one is a giving-up of intellectual property, similar to what most of us do at work, or I do with my clients. (I don't own the suggestions I give them, according to our contracts: they do, as part of purchasing my services.)

That Maxis/EA owns the rights to our screenshots is, I believe, in the licensing agreement when we purchase the game, not related to posting online.

Aaaaanywaaaaaay ... GO TODDLERS?!? Hard not to see the increased guru posting about them as indicative of something positive. And I hope they take some of the great ideas posted here (which I'm sure they own the right to use) and go with them :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

Everything you said is true, but there's ethics and then there's the law. A lot of what is posted on the internet does become public domain, even EA has trouble tracking down foreign companies that use their pictures to advertise other non- EA related products. People are plum sometimes.

Edit: they didn't censor the bad word I use, so I self censored.

I'm pretty confident you're incorrect about public domain. People don't produce artistic world in isolation so just because something gets shared or displayed somewhere (even somewhere as accessible as the internet) does not automatically out it in the public domain. Copyright in the US doesn't require registration for protection and the DRMA was put in place to protect both creators and web hosts/services. And none of that will prevent people from stealing any more than a lock on your car or so the laws against theft do so in our world.

I would be offended that you're even suggesting I'd be stupid enough to post pics of my kids and trust millions of random strangers online not to exploit them, but I know you meant well. I'm extremely cautious about that sort of thing and, fortunately my kids aren't into the selfie thing, either.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I would be offended that you're even suggesting I'd be stupid enough to post pics of my kids and trust millions of random strangers online not to exploit them, but I know you meant well. I'm extremely cautious about that sort of thing and, fortunately my kids aren't into the selfie thing, either.
    Off-topic, but I wish I could say this about my mom. If Facebook had been around when I was a baby, my entire life from birth to now would be on the internet. *shudder*
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited March 2016
    tonicmole wrote: »

Not true at all. The law favours the owner. My former boss got a slapped with a $800 copyright infringement for posting a 150x150 thumbnail he got off google on his personal blog post. He came to the office and asked us to figure out how he could fight it, and so I had to read the copyright law to find a loophole... nothing doing--he had to pay. Ignorance won't even save you if someone slaps you with an infringement--all you can do is hope that they aren't hard pressed to pay the legal fees to take you to court and don't anticipate the court making you pay for them :confounded:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html#505

BTW: if you're posting on a site that indicates you forfeit your copyright, then yes... your comment is accurate. That being said, most sites do not have a all your copyright are belong to us clause in their ToS--FB tried it a long time ago and it blew up in their face.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Most of us already know the smallest things take a long time to develop, and toddlers are a huge thing to add.

The fact that just now they have "pinned" or "stickied" a thread about feedback on toddlers isn't a good sign at all

Like Rachel Franklin said " our fans ask for a lot" yes they do. Some of the simmers here are very ambitious and the toddlers thread has lots of ideas and half of them won't ever come to the game.

Anyway this is how i see it

1- They either stickied that thread to calm down the angry toddler thread that was going on at that moment
    2- They want to take our feedback and add it to a FUTURE project of toddlers. I doubt they would ask for feedback just now for toddlers knowing that "we ask for a lot" if they have been working on them this last year and a half , especially cause they do things half baked and they would never meet our expectations
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Maxis never half-bakes anything. o:)

They fully-bake everything. :#
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options

I never know if you are being sarcastic or not :#
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I think they are working on toddlers. I don't think that pic with the toddler was a total fake.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »

He's *a l w a y s* sarcastic :wink:
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    I think they are working on toddlers. I don't think that pic with the toddler was a total fake.

Some simmers already knew the toddler picture was just a miniature child. The clothes are available in CAS.

Hope I'm wrong though
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Orchid13 wrote: »

He's *a l w a y s* sarcastic :wink:

I think so too haha
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I don't even care anymore...I'm playing TS2 and I'm happy. TS4 is currently a mess I don't even want to touch. Until they finally decide to do something that is in my perspective..."valuable" and entertaining or fix the past EP's and base game, I don't care.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Wait, what toddler picture?
    Or do you mean the one with the family that was a gift?
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I don't even care anymore...I'm playing TS2 and I'm happy. TS4 is currently a mess I don't even want to touch. Until they finally decide to do something that is in my perspective..."valuable" and entertaining or fix the past EP's and base game, I don't care.

I agree. I do care though cause my computer doesnt run ts2 :( and ts3 is so ugly in my opinion i dont wanna go back to it.
    Polyrhythm wrote: »

Yeah CLP meant the family portrait
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

I want to play TS2 again but am afraid of securom.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

Yuppers
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    I wish they would confirm rather they're going to add toddlers or not tbh so you guys would know something but it wouldn't bother me if they weren't added.
  • Options

I meant the family picture.