Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think they are even working on toddlers?

Honestly all this silence makes me think they are not even working on them. For a while now I think I've been wasting my time puting family play on pause , cause they won't ever bring them back. I mean they have pretty much said that pets are coming back when they said the would not be objects like babies, but why haven't even they mentioned toddlers.

It's so obvious that only by saying "toddlers are taking some time, but they are being worked on" the community would calm down a bit, but they haven't , so to me that sounds like they have nothing.

I know they have a silence policy, but I bet it's cause of this same issue. They have never had this policy before, and since the toddlers fiasco they haven't ever shared information about future content.

What are your thoughts? Do you still have some hope?

Also for those who don't care about toddlers being added, that's fine thats your opinion but have in mind that my thread is not about your thoughts on toddlers being added to the game. It's about if you think they will come back
21mbz47.jpg

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    I think they'll come back. I don't know, maybe I'm just a hopeful person. Also, it could be because they have added some other stuff to the game that I thought that will never happen, like gardeners and repairmen.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    I flip-flop on this notion so much that I'm left with the option of consulting a magic eight ball on the idea of toddlers making a comeback.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    I think they'll come back. I don't know, maybe I'm just a hopeful person. Also, it could be because they have added some other stuff to the game that I thought that will never happen, like gardeners and repairmen.

Nothing wrong with being hopeful. I was hopeful about this matter a while ago too.
    ENolan wrote: »
    I flip-flop on this notion so much that I'm left with the option of consulting a magic eight ball on the idea of toddlers making a comeback.

I know what you mean. Nothing the developers have been doing has helped either. If anything I feel like the avoid the topic hoping it will fade away eventually. The word toddlers haven't even come up, not in tweets, not in the forums. They answer stuff adressing seasons and pets, but nothing on toddlers
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I think they'll come back honestly, probably they'll use the budget for a generations expansion pack to patch them into the base game. That's what I'd do anyway and it's the smart thing to do..who knows if they'll do it though. But Toddlers were mentioned in a generations pack survey which is why I think that.

I feel like some people might even get mad if they say they're taking a while. The gurus said they wanted to try to get phone cases in get together but couldn't make any promises and some people still got mad anyway when they had to cancel that plan even though they specifically said don't count on it it's not garunteed to make it in.

People get mad at anything especially when our beloved toddlers are involved. Do I want them back, yes. do I think they'll come back? Hopefully.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    I think they'll come back honestly, probably they'll use the budget for a generations expansion pack to patch them into the base game. That's what I'd do anyway and it's the smart thing to do..who knows if they'll do it though. But Toddlers were mentioned in a generations pack survey which is why I think that.

I feel like some people might even get mad if they say they're taking a while. The gurus said they wanted to try to get phone cases in get together but couldn't make any promises and some people still got mad anyway when they had to cancel that plan even though they specifically said don't count on it it's not garunteed to make it in.

People get mad at anything especially when our beloved toddlers are involved. Do I want them back, yes. do I think they'll come back? Hopefully.

It worried me that adding toddlers won't be possible if they weren't in the core of the game. I mean in TS2 when they added young adults they were linked to a specific world and context, but they couldn't be taken anywhere else without them aging up
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    I can't imagine that they wouldn't be getting implemented at some point, it would be crazy not to.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    ladybreid wrote: »
    I can't imagine that they wouldn't be getting implemented at some point, it would be crazy not to.

I agree. But you would think that with so much dissapointment in the community they would say something to calm down everyone
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I don't know. Of course I hope they are, and my wishful thinking is that they've been working on toddlers the past year to get them just right. I don't mind if the devs take a while to include them, I just hope they make it it, even if it's a year from now. I also worry if they can be included at all, a lot of things seem limited by the game's engine.

There was that survey that mentioned toddlers (and preteens) though, so I guess if it was utterly impossible to add a new life stage they wouldn't have mentioned it
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    I don't know. Of course I hope they are, and my wishful thinking is that they've been working on toddlers the past year to get them just right. I don't mind if the devs take a while to include them, I just hope they make it it, even if it's a year from now. I also worry if they can be included at all, a lot of things seem limited by the game's engine.

There was that survey that mentioned toddlers (and preteens) though, so I guess if it was utterly impossible to add a new life stage they wouldn't have mentioned it

That's probably true.
    They're probably lacking people in the studio. Probably like 2 people legitimately working on toddlers.
    It's okay.
    Maybe next year we'll get them.
    :)
  • Options
    taigoesrawrtaigoesrawr Posts: 812 Member
    I think they may end up making a comeback. I mean .. I don't really have any evidence to back that up.. but it's more like a "hope"? since TS4 itself still has many years left to develop I'm hoping with that development comes toddlers at one point. I also blindly follow this "hope" of mine because I can't fall back on TS3 or TS2 like other folks.. so TS4 (and maybe TS5 if it happens) is my only hope atm. :D
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    I've given up hoping. I don't know why it would take this long. It's nearing a year and a half since launch. Add in the development time pre-launch there really is no excuse that they can't be here today.

They could be waiting to release them in a patch before a generations pack (hopefully) but when is that coming? I doubt it will be next EP. And the longer they wait, the more people will leave. 'Too little, too late" is popular catchphrase around here.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    Polyrhythm wrote: »

I wish the next GP is related to the survey they made. Just to make sure they were offering something possible.

I honestly have no idea at this point... but, what we do know is that toddlers definitely aren't a priority for them. That's quite obvious. Despite the backlash the developers have gotten for the lack of toddlers in this game, they sure seem to have fun keeping them on hold. Also, I'm sick seeing and hearing the "it's hard" or "it takes time" excuses because I honestly don't care how "hard" it is or how "long" it takes. They should've been included in the base game. Enough with these poor excuses! If they just put them in the base game, this wouldn't be happening. It's their own faults for implementing angry poops and star wars content instead of Toddlers. It's actually quite sad and pathetic.

That's what made me think that toddlers might not be back. People mention them a lot and they don't adress them AT ALL
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Orchid13 wrote: »

It worried me that adding toddlers won't be possible if they weren't in the core of the game. I mean in TS2 when they added young adults they were linked to a specific world and context, but they couldn't be taken anywhere else without them aging up

They only did that because it was less confusing, as YA were exactly the same as Adults, but had teen clothes and interactions. It was just to make it less obvious. You could use debug items to add YA to your actual household and it worked just fine. However you have to enrol and leave Uni to age up. It was just done as a way to make it look less simple.

They add Pets, which are programmed the same was as Sims they just have a different appearance, to the game just fine. And also support them in future content. Also, we already had confirmation that it was possible to add more life stages. SimGuruGraham confirmed that.

----

Honestly, they said they began exploring the concepts of adding Toddlers in mid 2015, just before Spa Day I believe. There is also a specific life stage in the game files between baby and child, so they already have the programming to add Toddlers to the game. It's just called "Unsupported Age" or something.

The reason why they are staying silent, is there hasn't been a final decision regarding them. We got a Survey from EA (which aren't created by Developers) asking if players wanted Toddlers and PreTeens. So it's still on EA's mind. They just want to know the popularity is there. While people on forums can shout to the rooftops that they want something, what speaks volumes is what players actually play with.

They began working on Babies and Toddlers for the Wii version of The Sims 3, but cancelled them, in favour for adding Weather and Tropical/Beach Content instead. EA's reasoning back then was, they scrapped any content that didn't prove popular and added exclusive content that had been popular instead. So Weather was considered popular from fans, so that was added. And people loved Bon Voyage with it's beach content and the beaches in Sims 3. So that's what took priority.

And my guess, the same thing happened with 4. They cancelled Toddlers and downgraded life stages that weren't seen as a big deal, while adding content that was seen as popular, such as the Hot Date/Nightlife/Late Night content. I'm pretty sure that The Sims 4 base game is the first base game to have official Dates, and Bar/Nightclubs/Lounge venues, with Musicians/Comedians etc.

I don't think it was the best choice, but that's what EA feels would appeal to the biggest audience. And they recently said The Sims 4 outperforms EA's expectations, and the strength on the Sims 4 is what's causing EA to have a lot of success right now. So they feel they are still making the right choices to appeal the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQJzTcYwxI0
  • Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »

They only did that because it was less confusing, as YA were exactly the same as Adults, but had teen clothes and interactions. It was just to make it less obvious. You could use debug items to add YA to your actual household and it worked just fine. However you have to enrol and leave Uni to age up. It was just done as a way to make it look less simple.

They add Pets, which are programmed the same was as Sims they just have a different appearance, to the game just fine. And also support them in future content. Also, we already had confirmation that it was possible to add more life stages. SimGuruGraham confirmed that.

----

Honestly, they said they began exploring the concepts of adding Toddlers in mid 2015, just before Spa Day I believe. There is also a specific life stage in the game files between baby and child, so they already have the programming to add Toddlers to the game. It's just called "Unsupported Age" or something.

The reason why they are staying silent, is there hasn't been a final decision regarding them. We got a Survey from EA (which aren't created by Developers) asking if players wanted Toddlers and PreTeens. So it's still on EA's mind. They just want to know the popularity is there. While people on forums can shout to the rooftops that they want something, what speaks volumes is what players actually play with.

They began working on Babies and Toddlers for the Wii version of The Sims 3, but cancelled them, in favour for adding Weather and Tropical/Beach Content instead. EA's reasoning back then was, they scrapped any content that didn't prove popular and added exclusive content that had been popular instead. So Weather was considered popular from fans, so that was added. And people loved Bon Voyage with it's beach content and the beaches in Sims 3. So that's what took priority.

And my guess, the same thing happened with 4. They cancelled Toddlers and downgraded life stages that weren't seen as a big deal, while adding content that was seen as popular, such as the Hot Date/Nightlife/Late Night content. I'm pretty sure that The Sims 4 base game is the first base game to have official Dates, and Bar/Nightclubs/Lounge venues, with Musicians/Comedians etc.

I don't think it was the best choice, but that's what EA feels would appeal to the biggest audience. And they recently said The Sims 4 outperforms EA's expectations, and the strength on the Sims 4 is what's causing EA to have a lot of success right now. So they feel they are still making the right choices to appeal the public.

Thank you for the source :) I still don't understand why its taking so long. I mean they were gonna be in the game at first, shouldn't they have something already?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited March 2016
    Hi s3oetu.jpg

I don't know. Most of the time I don't and then I feel bad for a lot of people who are waiting for them and then I try to be positive. So... Maybe.
  • Options
    tanakakitanakaki Posts: 240 Member
    As weird as Sims act when it comes to things like sitting and eating and their sometimes one track minds when on venues, I wouldn't be surprised if its really taking this long for them to release toddlers with proper animations and interactions with the other life states that doesn't result in toddlers being "kidnapped" by random npcs or not being able to get your child because every Sim gravitates to it because of bad programming. And for the silence. They probably would rather keep quiet on the matter, instead of saying their being worked on, only for people to constantly ask for timeframes and end up upset for it taking too long. At least thats what I tell myself.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Yes....
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Unfortunately yes
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »

I don't think that'll be a problem since it was a design choice for it.
    What worries me is that we'll get them so late in development that they'll be barren. We need em soon or it'll be aloot of work patched in.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    PixelPrincezzPixelPrincezz Posts: 321 Member
    I believe they will add toddlers at some point; I have no idea how much time that could take but I still have hope; besides I agree with @zeldagirl180 , people tend to be very sensitive when it comes to things they're crazy about having in their game and end up disappointed or even mad when things are not exactly like they expected, so maybe the gurus decided to keep quiet about those type of topics, you never know...
    I also believe they'll add toddlers to an EP and then patch them to the base game ;)
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde
    EA ID: PixelPrincezz
    90dia7ml8p6n.jpg
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I don't think so. It's the only plan they can have without getting back-fire. If they just stay quiet about it, releasing other content, they're basically just trying to slide through the cracks. Clearly they can't say there are never gonna be toddlers, because they know a lot of people would stop buying eps/sps/gps etc. If there are going to be toddlers, they aren't even close to being done yet, because you know something like that is going to be wildly advertised and talked about plenty of time before they are released. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    edited March 2016

----

WOAH hold the phone!!!! When did they say this?! Where was this mentioned?!
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    KatyJay88 wrote: »

----

She said they were exploring the possibility of adding toddlers, not concepts. Which could range from they were actively looking at developing them, to they were thinking about thinking about developing them. Nothing concrete was shared in the interview, more marketing fluff.

To the OP I really don't know. It's up to Maxis to develop them, if they do I'm sure I'll hear about it. Until then there's no use continuing to waste my time and energy rallying for content the developers clearly do not see as a priority.
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    KatyJay88 wrote: »

----

She said they were exploring the possibility of adding toddlers, not concepts. Which could range from they were actively looking at developing them, to they were thinking about thinking about developing them. Nothing concrete was shared in the interview, more marketing fluff.

To the OP I really don't know. It's up to Maxis to develop them, if they do I'm sure I'll hear about it. Until then there's no use continuing to waste my time and energy rallying for content the developers clearly do not see as a priority.

Wow good to know. One more question - who is she? Which interview is this?