Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think they are even working on toddlers?

Comments

• Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    Honestly all this silence makes me think they are not even working on them. For a while now I think I've been wasting my time puting family play on pause , cause they won't ever bring them back. I mean they have pretty much said that pets are coming back when they said the would not be objects like babies, but why haven't even they mentioned toddlers.

It's so obvious that only by saying "toddlers are taking some time, but they are being worked on" the community would calm down a bit, but they haven't , so to me that sounds like they have nothing.

I know they have a silence policy, but I bet it's cause of this same issue. They have never had this policy before, and since the toddlers fiasco they haven't ever shared information about future content.

What are your thoughts? Do you still have some hope?

Also for those who don't care about toddlers being added, that's fine thats your opinion but have in mind that my thread is not about your thoughts on toddlers being added to the game. It's about if you think they will come back

I want to think they will, but I honestly doubt it, as much as it hurts to say that. I did make a few comments on my blog today about EA's silence and how it's affected the community. It was a lot more fun "back in the old days". :(
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I don't think so. It's the only plan they can have without getting back-fire. If they just stay quiet about it, releasing other content, they're basically just trying to slide through the cracks. Clearly they can't say there are never gonna be toddlers, because they know a lot of people would stop buying eps/sps/gps etc. If there are going to be toddlers, they aren't even close to being done yet, because you know something like that is going to be wildly advertised and talked about plenty of time before they are released. Just my opinion.

I feel the same way. They did confirm that open world wasn't possible though. I guess toddlers are more of a deal breaker, but it would be really unfairs if they never told us. Many people buy the game hoping toddlers will be back
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    HimRumiHimRumi Posts: 1,444 Member
    Recently on another thread the OP mentioned a Guru in a interview and were asked by the spokes person if they are working on pets and the Guru said no, pets are not being worked on right now. So we all know, Nicki Rapp, who recently helped them with " a little " something.. someone who has a kid voice, who made plenty of statuses like " i got to do the cute ones " etc, then deletes them... and now i have nothing else to say but, toddlers. :neutral:
  • Options
    KatyJay88 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Orchid13 wrote: »
    I think they'll come back honestly, probably they'll use the budget for a generations expansion pack to patch them into the base game. That's what I'd do anyway and it's the smart thing to do..who knows if they'll do it though. But Toddlers were mentioned in a generations pack survey which is why I think that.

I feel like some people might even get mad if they say they're taking a while. The gurus said they wanted to try to get phone cases in get together but couldn't make any promises and some people still got mad anyway when they had to cancel that plan even though they specifically said don't count on it it's not garunteed to make it in.

People get mad at anything especially when our beloved toddlers are involved. Do I want them back, yes. do I think they'll come back? Hopefully.

It worried me that adding toddlers won't be possible if they weren't in the core of the game. I mean in TS2 when they added young adults they were linked to a specific world and context, but they couldn't be taken anywhere else without them aging up

They only did that because it was less confusing, as YA were exactly the same as Adults, but had teen clothes and interactions. It was just to make it less obvious. You could use debug items to add YA to your actual household and it worked just fine. However you have to enrol and leave Uni to age up. It was just done as a way to make it look less simple.

They add Pets, which are programmed the same was as Sims they just have a different appearance, to the game just fine. And also support them in future content. Also, we already had confirmation that it was possible to add more life stages. SimGuruGraham confirmed that.

----

Honestly, they said they began exploring the concepts of adding Toddlers in mid 2015, just before Spa Day I believe. There is also a specific life stage in the game files between baby and child, so they already have the programming to add Toddlers to the game. It's just called "Unsupported Age" or something.

The reason why they are staying silent, is there hasn't been a final decision regarding them. We got a Survey from EA (which aren't created by Developers) asking if players wanted Toddlers and PreTeens. So it's still on EA's mind. They just want to know the popularity is there. While people on forums can shout to the rooftops that they want something, what speaks volumes is what players actually play with.

They began working on Babies and Toddlers for the Wii version of The Sims 3, but cancelled them, in favour for adding Weather and Tropical/Beach Content instead. EA's reasoning back then was, they scrapped any content that didn't prove popular and added exclusive content that had been popular instead. So Weather was considered popular from fans, so that was added. And people loved Bon Voyage with it's beach content and the beaches in Sims 3. So that's what took priority.

And my guess, the same thing happened with 4. They cancelled Toddlers and downgraded life stages that weren't seen as a big deal, while adding content that was seen as popular, such as the Hot Date/Nightlife/Late Night content. I'm pretty sure that The Sims 4 base game is the first base game to have official Dates, and Bar/Nightclubs/Lounge venues, with Musicians/Comedians etc.

I don't think it was the best choice, but that's what EA feels would appeal to the biggest audience. And they recently said The Sims 4 outperforms EA's expectations, and the strength on the Sims 4 is what's causing EA to have a lot of success right now. So they feel they are still making the right choices to appeal the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQJzTcYwxI0

WOAH hold the phone!!!! When did they say this?! Where was this mentioned?!

She said they were exploring the possibility of adding toddlers, not concepts. Which could range from they were actively looking at developing them, to they were thinking about thinking about developing them. Nothing concrete was shared in the interview, more marketing fluff.

To the OP I really don't know. It's up to Maxis to develop them, if they do I'm sure I'll hear about it. Until then there's no use continuing to waste my time and energy rallying for content the developers clearly do not see as a priority.

Wow good to know. One more question - who is she? Which interview is this?

Rachel Franklin (former executive producer on The Sims 4, now head of Maxis). Not really sure what interview specifically, on mobile atm so I can't go searching for a link.

I do know the interview was published shortly before (maybe after) the first EP launched. It sparked a small amount of controversy over her incessant remarks about the writer "actually getting" her vision for the game (small nod at her belief, as well as other executives, that the player base can't comprehend their vision behind TS4). We really didn't learn a whole lot, but she did say that the omission of toddlers was the best decision they made at the time (again a small spark of controversy emerged).

Ahh that infamous one. I do know that one. Haven't read the full thing.

Anyways to OP:

I think that "leaked" picture is proof from a render, even if they won't admit it. I have high hopes. I'm not expecting them any time soon, but from the looks of that photo, they have at the very least a composite to work from.

If you refer to the family portrait, I'm afraid it was just a gift for the CEO of EA. I honestly don't know why the thought it was a good idea to use the non existence of toddlers of the sims 4 instead of just using the sims 2 or sims 3 toddlers.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    From a business standpoint it wouldn't make sense if they weren't working on them. But I also wonder if they've just thrown in the towel without saying anything. I'm worried it's never going to happen but then I also worry they're going to do a bad job. If they don't release toddlers it will be terrible. If they release toddlers and they don't meet expectations it will be a tragedy.

I've played quite a few games so I'm somewhat used to devs being quiet. I've mentioned this before but I myself am under a few NDAs for jobs I've done. Part of me knows exactly why they aren't saying anything and the other part of me is upset that they're being quiet. I can say they are being unusually quiet for a studio, which makes me question why.

Maybe they're working on toddlers and have been doing so slowly since launch. Maybe they're making restaurants. Maybe there's someone who's working really hard on a fireman. Who knows? The problem is we don't, and I think that's what makes it so hard to want to support the series. I can only hope the future is bright while assuming it's actually dim.

Well imo all EPs have been half baked, so it wouldn't surprise me if toddlers are half way done. Hopefully EPs improve. I mean GT was great in comparisson to GTW, but thats hardly an accomplishment.
    I suppose they are half done already as initially they were supposed to be in the base game.
    That said, toddlers could be abandoned since the decissionwas taken andmaybe they haven't started working on them again. Who knows?

That's why it's weird that it has taken sooo long
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    SimmieSims wrote: »
    I think it's really nice that the SimGurus have been communicating with us recently, and I love finding out more about people working on the game, even though I realize they can't tell us much.

To stay on topic, we haven't heard from @SimGuruRachel yet. And she's definitely the one we need to hear from in regards to toddlers and all of our other questions.

@SimGuruRachel - please share your thoughts with us in regards to toddlers. And other things....

They participate in threads that are convenient for them. They don't even give information they just spam threads with gifs till they become an actual joke. I don't see them participating here, and they won't cause they have nothing to say :/
    allieb312 wrote: »
    In my opinion, no. They had a Rachel interview on her saying there satisfied with no toddlers.

Thats when you know that this game
    Has no hope :( look at the head of the game. She represents the big dissapointment this has been for fans, some fans
    efaspace wrote: »
    I really don't think we'll ever get toddlers in TS4 - it's a huge gap in the game to fill and too big an addition to be included in any kind of expansion pack. It's not an area of the game to "expand on" - it is (to some) a fundamental aspect of gameplay that, if not part of the base game, can't just be plonked in with an EP unfortunately. Obviously this is just my opinion but I don't see how they could possibly do it...

I mean they did add YA 10 years ago in an EP. I don't know wish i still had hope. It bothers me so much that i cant play legacies or families. I just can't tolerate the huge gap between a baby and a child and the baby is an object, so the only unique thing is the child really
    poppykoke wrote: »
    Recently on another thread the OP mentioned a Guru in a interview and were asked by the spokes person if they are working on pets and the Guru said no, pets are not being worked on right now. So we all know, Nicki Rapp, who recently helped them with " a little " something.. someone who has a kid voice, who made plenty of statuses like " i got to do the cute ones " etc, then deletes them... and now i have nothing else to say but, toddlers. :neutral:

Are you kidding me!? Urg pets take years in being developed. We are gonna have to wait so much for pets! This is so frustrating this team does like one good thing and three bad ones. Honestly to me this prooves that they don't listen to fans
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    No. It's been long enough since release and they will neither say they're working on them nor that they're never coming. If they said the latter, many players would rage quit, and that's why the silence.

Now the news apparently is that they're not even working on Pets yet. Since an EP takes a very long time to make from start to finish, I have to wonder if pets are ever coming, either. If they do, I suspect they would be objects like babies, and would be subject to massive culling. Yeah, that sounds fun.... NOT.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,863 Member
    I actually DO think they are working on toddlers but are encountering massive problems with their development, which is why they can't say anything at this point - they don't know when they'll get over all those hurdles, or even if they will.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    I actually DO think they are working on toddlers but are encountering massive problems with their development, which is why they can't say anything at this point - they don't know when they'll get over all those hurdles, or even if they will.

This is what I think.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    LadyTachunkaLadyTachunka Posts: 1,454 Member
    i think yes they're working on them. Most but not all Simmers are family type simmer. i'm hopeful that they do a generations EP like the one on the survey asked ya know to get toddlers and preteens. but if they are working on the two i hope they take their time because i don't want demon toddlers that were full of glitches
    8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif Been simming since the end of sims 2~Sims Gallery ID:BSAAWaifu
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Orchid13 wrote: »
    I think they'll come back honestly, probably they'll use the budget for a generations expansion pack to patch them into the base game. That's what I'd do anyway and it's the smart thing to do..who knows if they'll do it though. But Toddlers were mentioned in a generations pack survey which is why I think that.

I feel like some people might even get mad if they say they're taking a while. The gurus said they wanted to try to get phone cases in get together but couldn't make any promises and some people still got mad anyway when they had to cancel that plan even though they specifically said don't count on it it's not garunteed to make it in.

People get mad at anything especially when our beloved toddlers are involved. Do I want them back, yes. do I think they'll come back? Hopefully.

It worried me that adding toddlers won't be possible if they weren't in the core of the game. I mean in TS2 when they added young adults they were linked to a specific world and context, but they couldn't be taken anywhere else without them aging up

They only did that because it was less confusing, as YA were exactly the same as Adults, but had teen clothes and interactions. It was just to make it less obvious. You could use debug items to add YA to your actual household and it worked just fine. However you have to enrol and leave Uni to age up. It was just done as a way to make it look less simple.

They add Pets, which are programmed the same was as Sims they just have a different appearance, to the game just fine. And also support them in future content. Also, we already had confirmation that it was possible to add more life stages. SimGuruGraham confirmed that.

----

Honestly, they said they began exploring the concepts of adding Toddlers in mid 2015, just before Spa Day I believe. There is also a specific life stage in the game files between baby and child, so they already have the programming to add Toddlers to the game. It's just called "Unsupported Age" or something.

The reason why they are staying silent, is there hasn't been a final decision regarding them. We got a Survey from EA (which aren't created by Developers) asking if players wanted Toddlers and PreTeens. So it's still on EA's mind. They just want to know the popularity is there. While people on forums can shout to the rooftops that they want something, what speaks volumes is what players actually play with.

They began working on Babies and Toddlers for the Wii version of The Sims 3, but cancelled them, in favour for adding Weather and Tropical/Beach Content instead. EA's reasoning back then was, they scrapped any content that didn't prove popular and added exclusive content that had been popular instead. So Weather was considered popular from fans, so that was added. And people loved Bon Voyage with it's beach content and the beaches in Sims 3. So that's what took priority.

And my guess, the same thing happened with 4. They cancelled Toddlers and downgraded life stages that weren't seen as a big deal, while adding content that was seen as popular, such as the Hot Date/Nightlife/Late Night content. I'm pretty sure that The Sims 4 base game is the first base game to have official Dates, and Bar/Nightclubs/Lounge venues, with Musicians/Comedians etc.

I don't think it was the best choice, but that's what EA feels would appeal to the biggest audience. And they recently said The Sims 4 outperforms EA's expectations, and the strength on the Sims 4 is what's causing EA to have a lot of success right now. So they feel they are still making the right choices to appeal the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQJzTcYwxI0

WOAH hold the phone!!!! When did they say this?! Where was this mentioned?!

She said they were exploring the possibility of adding toddlers, not concepts. Which could range from they were actively looking at developing them, to they were thinking about thinking about developing them. Nothing concrete was shared in the interview, more marketing fluff.

To the OP I really don't know. It's up to Maxis to develop them, if they do I'm sure I'll hear about it. Until then there's no use continuing to waste my time and energy rallying for content the developers clearly do not see as a priority.

Wow good to know. One more question - who is she? Which interview is this?

Rachel Franklin (former executive producer on The Sims 4, now head of Maxis). Not really sure what interview specifically, on mobile atm so I can't go searching for a link.

I do know the interview was published shortly before (maybe after) the first EP launched. It sparked a small amount of controversy over her incessant remarks about the writer "actually getting" her vision for the game (small nod at her belief, as well as other executives, that the player base can't comprehend their vision behind TS4). We really didn't learn a whole lot, but she did say that the omission of toddlers was the best decision they made at the time (again a small spark of controversy emerged).

Ahh that infamous one. I do know that one. Haven't read the full thing.

Anyways to OP:

I think that "leaked" picture is proof from a render, even if they won't admit it. I have high hopes. I'm not expecting them any time soon, but from the looks of that photo, they have at the very least a composite to work from.

If you refer to the family portrait, I'm afraid it was just a gift for the CEO of EA. I honestly don't know why the thought it was a good idea to use the non existence of toddlers of the sims 4 instead of just using the sims 2 or sims 3 toddlers.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Why didn't they use S2 or S3 toddlers? Because I think they have a render of S4 toddlers. I believe it.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I never for a moment believed they were working on toddlers. Even back when I did believe they were returning, I didn't believe toddlers were in progress. The game is doing well without them, so I honestly don't believe the developers have any reason or incentive to add toddlers back.

Don't misunderstand. I do still want toddlers. I miss them very much. I was playing Sims 3 last night and had three babies grow into toddlers. Hectic, but worth it. I love them all. But I just don't believe the cute bunches of trouble will make it into Sims 4 and I have never been able to be convinced they're being worked on for that game.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    Not anymore. They seem to just be fronting it out now. Even Rachel stands by the decision but it's all a front. Act like everything is fine, the game is great and in keeping with their vision.

A lot of the gurus are gamers though and I suspect as gamers that deep down they know they have had a part in the development of a really lackluster game. A lot of them follow and watch LGR's game reviews and you know they have got to be nodding in agreement when he points out the games shortcomings.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,653 Member
    @Orchid13 I'm not even close to being a computer whiz, let alone having any knowledge of game code. But I do recall somebody here on the forums mentioned they found the code for toddlers in the base game already. That would make sense, since the devs pulled them last minute. Way back in the days of TS2, it was disclosed that the code for weather was already in the base game, but the devs didn't activate it until they could de-bug it. IE the rain used to also fall inside the houses. :open_mouth: So, I wouldn't worry that they can't add toddlers due to them not being in the base game. I may be all wet, and maybe someone who has some expertise in such things will say differently, but I'm thinking it's just a matter of them completing the coding for our little M.I.G.s (missing in game). ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    jcp011c2 wrote: »

Good points :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    est1956est1956 Posts: 46 Member
    There's no real way to know tbqh. They released that render for one the Guru's family and included toddlers in one of their surveys a while back, and for all we know, a Generations-themed pack could be coming sometime this year.

I miss toddlers, too, but I've gotten used to gaming without them. On the bright side, my Sims can have children closer together if I need them to without being stressed to the max caring for a newborn and a toddler!
    subscribe to my sims youtube pls i'm poor ~ ryan the dreamer
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    As far as I know (but I wasn't active here back then) they were just as silent about weather in Sims 3 and yet, we got it. Maybe they are preparing a big bang, involving a Generations EP and patched in toddlers. Maybe their silence is nothing more than the calm before the storm.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    AmyDamesAmyDames Posts: 353 Member

JoAnne65 wrote: »
    As far as I know (but I wasn't active here back then) they were just as silent about weather in Sims 3 and yet, we got it. Maybe they are preparing a big bang, involving a Generations EP and patched in toddlers. Maybe their silence is nothing more than the calm before the storm.

That's the dream
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

tumblr_mbqtr2oNie1r1yos2.gif
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    Capture.png

I want y'all to look at this. You can say it was just a gift if you want. But the development team MADE this. There is an extra lifestage in the code. There was a survey of possible expansions that included generations with toddlers and preteens. Rachel acnowledged toddlers and said they are thinking about it. Gurus say they hear us lound and clear in this issue.

EA is not dumb. They want money. More than anything their customers have been yelling in every possible occasion about toddlers. They will give it to us. Saying they won't bother is dumb. Why would they bother with seasons, university, pets, anything popular then?

We didn't get it by now. We didn't get university, seasons, pets, supernaturals or the like by now. We are on the second expansion, and one of them will be Generations, because there is demand. In the earing calls snippet mr. EA said they will keep releasing expansions because they bring new people into the game. What more would you need to bring in the most demanding of the players? They are a smart company.
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    I honestly believe that they're working on them. They know that the fan base is wanting for these, and it would help them both financially and give them a sportive reputation among their customers. I would imagine that they want to add more to toddlers than there were in TS3, and they also have to implement the Emotion System to work with them. Considering the gift that they gave to the CEO, I can guess that they have the models for toddlers and CASsets, as well as objects. Right now, it would just be a matter of programming for interactions, emotions, animations, as well as unique emotion moodlets they have to add for the toddlers and adding more for the other life stages.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    NikolaiBanksNikolaiBanks Posts: 149 Member
    I hope they bring back Toddlers, not in an expansion pack, but in an update patch, cause honestly I would prefer a update patch to a expansion pack anyday, expansion packs coast money, update patches cost nothing but being patient until the next time an update patch is given out, and it is worth the wait for a good update patch.
    'Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you,
    Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
    Quote from Isaiah 41:10
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    I hope they bring back Toddlers, not in an expansion pack, but in an update patch, cause honestly I would prefer a update patch to a expansion pack anyday, expansion packs coast money, update patches cost nothing but being patient until the next time an update patch is given out, and it is worth the wait for a good update patch.

When toddlers are released, it makes sense to release them in a patch, so that future expansions and stuff packs add clothes and objects related to this life stage. The preteens I don't know, because they could use clothes adapted either from teens or kids, which means they don't need to come in a patch for future content to work with them.
  • Options
    NikolaiBanksNikolaiBanks Posts: 149 Member
    > @NeonHighways said:
    > NikolaiBanks wrote: »
    >
    > I hope they bring back Toddlers, not in an expansion pack, but in an update patch, cause honestly I would prefer a update patch to a expansion pack anyday, expansion packs coast money, update patches cost nothing but being patient until the next time an update patch is given out, and it is worth the wait for a good update patch.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > When toddlers are released, it makes sense to release them in a patch, so that future expansions and stuff packs add clothes and objects related to this life stage. The preteens I don't know, because they could use clothes adapted either from teens or kids, which means they don't need to come in a patch for future content to work with them.

True, a patch would make sense for toddlers, as for preteens, has EA even considered adding preteens to Sims 4? I sure hope if they do, the preteens will between child size and teen size, though for illogical sense, EA decided Teens should bethe same size as young adults and adult Sims.
    'Fear not, for I am with you;
    Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you,
    Yes, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
    Quote from Isaiah 41:10
  • Options
    CrackFox wrote: »
    Not anymore. They seem to just be fronting it out now. Even Rachel stands by the decision but it's all a front. Act like everything is fine, the game is great and in keeping with their vision.

A lot of the gurus are gamers though and I suspect as gamers that deep down they know they have had a part in the development of a really lackluster game. A lot of them follow and watch LGR's game reviews and you know they have got to be nodding in agreement when he points out the games shortcomings.

Plus hopefully gurus are the sims players. I can't imagine someone who works on a game who knows its been amazing since it came out, to be ok with all that it lacks.
    @Orchid13 I'm not even close to being a computer whiz, let alone having any knowledge of game code. But I do recall somebody here on the forums mentioned they found the code for toddlers in the base game already. That would make sense, since the devs pulled them last minute. Way back in the days of TS2, it was disclosed that the code for weather was already in the base game, but the devs didn't activate it until they could de-bug it. IE the rain used to also fall inside the houses. :open_mouth: So, I wouldn't worry that they can't add toddlers due to them not being in the base game. I may be all wet, and maybe someone who has some expertise in such things will say differently, but I'm thinking it's just a matter of them completing the coding for our little M.I.G.s (missing in game). ;)

I hope you are right :) . I hope those codes mean something, but i have to see it to believe it i guess.
    21mbz47.jpg