Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If We Don't Get Toddlers...

Comments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited November 2014
    @Barghaest I think I see where you're coming from now. Relationship decay didn't happen if you rotated. It only happened if you stagnated.

How do I say?

You're playstyle and mine completely collide, I think that's how you say it?

When playing one family and only one, you had to work at it, but I recall having to do this in S3 too. I actually found it harder in S3. I gave up on the game, so maybe some examples might help.

Pretty much in S2, once a relationship is built up, it stays there, it takes very little work to maintain it once it's up. S3 and S4 drop dramatically unless you constantly work at it, in my experience. This doesn't happen in S2. If however, someone cheats on someone and that someone is caught, it takes a considerably long time to rebuild the relationship in comparison to S3 and S4.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    BarghaestBarghaest Posts: 168 Member
    > @EniracY said:
    > Andiratyme wrote: »
    >
    > ... I wouldn't mind that family tree though and an easier time telling young adults apart from teens. I figured out an easy way to tell if you're talking to a teen, but it doesn't help if you don't talk to them first ...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > How do you think they would add in the abiltiy to tell a teen from an adult? SimGuruMax said on another topic that the reason why they are the same height is because of the amount of work that would have had to gone in to have animations for the teenagers, so I doubt they'll ever change the height of the teens now to a more appropriate height.

Again, I think this is a weak excuse... they went through the effort to have animations for children... and between children and adults (such as hugs)... how much harder is it to make one that's about halfway between the two when the groundwork has already been laid? If they basically have to do as much work to animate teens as they did to animate adults in the first place, then I consider that a flaw in the way the animations are coded which would mean they doubled their workload when it came to adding children in the first place when it should have been around 30% more work to animate children after adult animations were in place. If this is their reasoning for keeping teens the same height as YA & A then I seriously doubt they'll ever add toddlers since that'd be whole new can of worms for animating (unless they made them the same height as children) which probably means they won't be selling me any expansions for S4 (and likely not sequels either considering the history of Sims progression tends to remove features I like and add ones I don't).
  • Options
    EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    edited November 2014
    > @Barghaest said:
    >
    Because the boss said "you have to deliver the game that day", and they didn't had time to do it all, and had to make choices. Happens everytime in software programming.
  • Options
    Sc3niXSc3niX Posts: 2,468 Member
    upqjk.gif
  • Options
    HCSauHCSau Posts: 506 Member
    From my real life experience with toddlers (as baby sitter or cool cousin... no mummy duties yet), toddlers are always wanting your attention and throw tantrums if they're not getting enough. They're in that transition from baby to child where their parents are having to, ever so gently, burst that bubble/idea that the baby has that big people are all there for him/her. He/she has to realise that they are growing up and must start to take on a child's responsibilities, hence the tantrums because it's a dramatic change for them.
    If toddlers were brought back, it would be great to give them emotional moodlets relating to those transitional hurdles, even aspirations like wanting to be like mum or dad. Your sim may have time to teach their child how walk, but what if the toddler has a negative, angry emotion? Will they be teachable? There are so many possibilities. It would be fab for a mum to be able to take her toddler to a venue that is toddler orientated as well, meeting other family orientated sims in the process! Then they could have social events that just rotate around the idea of mums (or dads!) chatting together, related by their toddlers being playmates.
    TS3 toddlers were useless; TS2 were much better because they could interact, they're the ones wanting the attention anyway. I like how in TS4 children can interact with baby. It would be really good for that to be taken further in the toddler stage. I was thinking about how babies and toddlers learn to walk and talk quicker when they have older siblings that play with them. Could that not be elaborated?
    HSau :)
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Memina11 wrote: »
    la reponse est oui translation the answer is yes

Thanks for the translation! I kind of knew you would say yes. :smile:
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    EniracY wrote: »
    @kremesch73 What didn't you like about The Sims 3?
    Not looking to argue, I'm just curious :smile:

Fair enough. I don't really know how to put it in words because it basically stems back to its release.

I am not one of those people that judged it on its looks or the rabbit holes. I did play S2, afterall. It also wasn't perfect, but I seriously hate the look of the game. I don't know how to try to be objective when it comes to it, but all I see is noise? I don't know how else to explain it. Everything is just 'noisy.' It's also full of Chucky dolls with no life. Don't be one of those players that blames it on my machine. I'm a gamer. I always have the best for what I need. I just can't stand the look of the game in its entirety. I can give you Screens if you really insist that I go back into it to prove there is nothing wrong with my graphics card. It's just that what I'm seeing, and the Pro S3 players are seeing... It's something entirely different.

I keep trying, even now. I boot it up, look at it for a few minutes, and then turn it off because I can't stand looking at it. I hate the clunky UI, I hate the Sims themselves, I hate the build mode, and I hate the lack of flow between the world, the objects, the homes, and the sims. That's just the sarting point.

The second part is if I chose to play. I am a rotational player by heart. You can't get any deeper than it gets when it comes to rotational play. I could do this in Sims 1, and I could do this in Sims 2. Sims 3 was dead to me from the start because of SP.

I still tried though. God knows I tried, and I have no idea why I wasted my time. I even bought every EP and SP (minus KP). Granted, I waited until each one was on sale, but it was never really worth it.

My first impressions of the game was that it took away my playstyle. It took away everything that was the sims. I like to leave things as I left them. When I leave a family. It should remain in the state I left it in. But that's not all. This game literally destroyed everything that the Sims meant to me and left me feeling like the game was literally dead.

Hence, I've been playing S2 ever since its release. :)

I know exactly what you're saying, and I think I know how you felt when Sims 3 happened. As another rotational player, I was crushed by Sims 3. Like you, I tried. I bought EPs. I struggled to adapt in whatever way I could. I installed mods. Nothing truly worked. I couldn't play my sims my way, and I finally gave up trying.

• Options
    abbyshireabbyshire Posts: 601 Member

Fair enough. I don't really know how to put it in words because it basically stems back to its release.

I am not one of those people that judged it on its looks or the rabbit holes. I did play S2, afterall. It also wasn't perfect, but I seriously hate the look of the game. I don't know how to try to be objective when it comes to it, but all I see is noise? I don't know how else to explain it. Everything is just 'noisy.' It's also full of Chucky dolls with no life. Don't be one of those players that blames it on my machine. I'm a gamer. I always have the best for what I need. I just can't stand the look of the game in its entirety. I can give you Screens if you really insist that I go back into it to prove there is nothing wrong with my graphics card. It's just that what I'm seeing, and the Pro S3 players are seeing... It's something entirely different.

I keep trying, even now. I boot it up, look at it for a few minutes, and then turn it off because I can't stand looking at it. I hate the clunky UI, I hate the Sims themselves, I hate the build mode, and I hate the lack of flow between the world, the objects, the homes, and the sims. That's just the sarting point.

The second part is if I chose to play. I am a rotational player by heart. You can't get any deeper than it gets when it comes to rotational play. I could do this in Sims 1, and I could do this in Sims 2. Sims 3 was dead to me from the start because of SP.

I still tried though. God knows I tried, and I have no idea why I wasted my time. I even bought every EP and SP (minus KP). Granted, I waited until each one was on sale, but it was never really worth it.

My first impressions of the game was that it took away my playstyle. It took away everything that was the sims. I like to leave things as I left them. When I leave a family. It should remain in the state I left it in. But that's not all. This game literally destroyed everything that the Sims meant to me and left me feeling like the game was literally dead.

I know exactly what you're saying, and I think I know how you felt when Sims 3 happened. As another rotational player, I was crushed by Sims 3. Like you, I tried. I bought EPs. I struggled to adapt in whatever way I could. I installed mods. Nothing truly worked. I couldn't play my sims my way, and I finally gave up trying.

Is rotational playing basically where you change active households a lot? Why wasn't TS3 conducive to that kind of play? Just curious. :)
    ETA: Darn you, autocorrect!
  • Options
    I liked the Sims 3 because I didn't like rotational play. I liked being able to play a single Sim, but then again...it was a nuisance if you had a family with grown children. I'd have to buy a huge lot so that I could make a family compound and keep track of each generation, so I wouldn't have to send the kids out into the neighborhood on their own.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Will I continue Buying? YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS B****! I have no toddlers in my life, or storylines.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    I have to finally admit that I'm back on the fence. I do enjoy Sims4, but I sorely miss my toddlers, and babies are now annoying. If we could only keep them out of that dern bassinet, hand them off to others to hold, or just have a chance to genuinely play with them, it might help. Right now, I'm frustrated. If we never get toddlers back, I'd have to reconsider purchasing anything more. I'm still holding out hope for a patch returning them to the game.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    Shayys wrote: »
    > @JaciJade said:<br />
    > No not buying until they add more family play, not just the toddlers. The game is sorely lacking in features for family style players.<br />
    <br />
    I'm probably extremely late (but I'm new to commenting around and stuff), but I disagree. My gameplay is Family play - Generations, Legacies. I have not grown bored and have grown amazed at the genetics.
    Wow that's pretty amazing. So you're saying you now have babies not tied to their crib, aging up into toddlers, teens that are the correct height, family trees so that you don't have to keep track of their lineage on paper, and story progression because life goes on beyond the current household since you can't play them all, along with all the various bugs ironed out. I have to say that's a truly impressive. Kudos to you. Perhaps you should consider getting a job for EA and share all this goodness with the rest of us. Wow, I'm truly in awe.
    Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • Options
    IgnitedTobi1IgnitedTobi1 Posts: 926 Member
    JaciJade wrote: »
    > No not buying until they add more family play, not just the toddlers. The game is sorely lacking in features for family style players.<br />
    <br />
    I'm probably extremely late (but I'm new to commenting around and stuff), but I disagree. My gameplay is Family play - Generations, Legacies. I have not grown bored and have grown amazed at the genetics.
    Wow that's pretty amazing. So you're saying you now have babies not tied to their crib, aging up into toddlers, teens that are the correct height, family trees so that you don't have to keep track of their lineage on paper, and story progression because life goes on beyond the current household since you can't play them all, along with all the various bugs ironed out. I have to say that's a truly impressive. Kudos to you. Perhaps you should consider getting a job for EA and share all this goodness with the rest of us. Wow, I'm truly in awe.

No need to be rude here. Maybe they enjoy the game for the way it is now and aren't too hung up on that or maybe they are waiting like the rest of us. There really is no need to come off like the way you just did.
  • Options
    libra_stylelibra_style Posts: 1,229 Member
    It's understandable that some expansion packs will some "leftovers" or "remake" of previous sim titles so I will say that as long as they can create enough new content and animations to go with those then I might consider buying an expansion pack. I love the world of The Sims 4 but it seems really tight and dried up for some reason especially since almost everything in decorations like the ferry and city buildings. I just hope to see major improvements but this time I will have to what for more reviews........
  • Options
    JaciJadeJaciJade Posts: 1,078 Member
    JaciJade wrote: »
    <br />

No need to be rude here. Maybe they enjoy the game for the way it is now and aren't too hung up on that or maybe they are waiting like the rest of us. There really is no need to come off like the way you just did.
    I am not being rude, I'm just pointing out the facts. Don't try to turn this into something else. Good day to you.
    Thank you EA and thank you Maxis..we got our babies back, Yay!
  • Options
    NaydiNaydi Posts: 387 Member

I felt the same way. I was a big time S2 player, but I cannot stand to look at TS3. I tried. I really did.
    This I do for the fun of it.
    • My Sims 4 Blog with Custom Content and Commentary is at Celynoir
    • Get my Custom Content at The Sims 4 Noir and Mod the Sims.
    • More downloads, houses and Sims, are available in the Gallery, under Naydi33.
  • Options
    For me, it's got nothing specifically to do with toddlers. They should have been in the base game, even if they were intended to be limited, it would have been better than nothing.

But, I don't like the basic framework of the game. I don't like the "checklists" especially those that are required for a community lot to function as a community lot. In the Sims 2 and Sims 3, if you wanted to open a bar, all you had to do is get a piece of land, designate it as a community lot and just buy what you needed for it to function as a community lot. Okay, in Sims 3 we had zoning, so yes, you actually had to choose what kind of community lot, but even then, all you had to do was go into the community sort and choose the right kind of furniture. You could make a hang-out and have a bar and a pool table in it, or a bowling alley, or a mini-mall...whatever. Same in The Sims 2, although, if I remember right, all you had to do was zone a lot community. Haven't been able to play for awhile, so my memory is hazy on exact details.

However, in The Sims 4, if you want to make a library, you have a checklist to check off items: One toilet (check) one sink (check) 3 computers (check)...you get the picture. It's the same with every lot, and it'll be the same with the business lots, too, whichever business you decide to include in your world (which means even less room for houses). And, you'll probably have to meet goals and have tasks as a business owner...at least for your aspiration. I bet those will be included in the new business career. And, of course, there will be a reward object that you'll only be able to get once your Sim levels up in his business career, etc. Same gameplay, different objects.

How is that an improvement? Yeah, you have new things for them to do, more goals to meet...but what's new and exciting about that? Not a darn thing...the only thing I ever bought expansion packs for anyway was for new objects and a little bit of new gameplay...not that I ever used everything. But, somehow, I can't see myself getting excited about something that's only going to add more goals. And, I bet they don't even fix the generic lots to allow more visitors, either.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    For me, it's got nothing specifically to do with toddlers. They should have been in the base game, even if they were intended to be limited, it would have been better than nothing.

But, I don't like the basic framework of the game. I don't like the "checklists" especially those that are required for a community lot to function as a community lot. In the Sims 2 and Sims 3, if you wanted to open a bar, all you had to do is get a piece of land, designate it as a community lot and just buy what you needed for it to function as a community lot. Okay, in Sims 3 we had zoning, so yes, you actually had to choose what kind of community lot, but even then, all you had to do was go into the community sort and choose the right kind of furniture. You could make a hang-out and have a bar and a pool table in it, or a bowling alley, or a mini-mall...whatever. Same in The Sims 2, although, if I remember right, all you had to do was zone a lot community. Haven't been able to play for awhile, so my memory is hazy on exact details.

However, in The Sims 4, if you want to make a library, you have a checklist to check off items: One toilet (check) one sink (check) 3 computers (check)...you get the picture. It's the same with every lot, and it'll be the same with the business lots, too, whichever business you decide to include in your world (which means even less room for houses). And, you'll probably have to meet goals and have tasks as a business owner...at least for your aspiration. I bet those will be included in the new business career. And, of course, there will be a reward object that you'll only be able to get once your Sim levels up in his business career, etc. Same gameplay, different objects.

How is that an improvement? Yeah, you have new things for them to do, more goals to meet...but what's new and exciting about that? Not a darn thing...the only thing I ever bought expansion packs for anyway was for new objects and a little bit of new gameplay...not that I ever used everything. But, somehow, I can't see myself getting excited about something that's only going to add more goals. And, I bet they don't even fix the generic lots to allow more visitors, either.

I agree, you worded it exactly how I would feel about a business EP. And why I know I will not buy it. Can't get much more clearer than that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member

Well said. This is why I said in another thread that they need to let that go and look at how it was done in 2.

Those kind of elements and limitations really do detract from open-ended and creative gameplay.
  • Options
    kirajmpkirajmp Posts: 385 Member
    In the Sims 2 and Sims 3, if you wanted to open a bar, all you had to do is get a piece of land, designate it as a community lot and just buy what you needed for it to function as a community lot. Okay, in Sims 3 we had zoning, so yes, you actually had to choose what kind of community lot, but even then, all you had to do was go into the community sort and choose the right kind of furniture. You could make a hang-out and have a bar and a pool table in it, or a bowling alley, or a mini-mall...whatever. Same in The Sims 2, although, if I remember right, all you had to do was zone a lot community. Haven't been able to play for awhile, so my memory is hazy on exact details.

Hmm.. I distinctly remember in Sims 3 that when you bought a community lot, there was a check list of things you needed to add in order to be 'open for business'. Such as if you bought a park, you needed a picnic table, a grill, and a swing? I don't remember exactly. And then, if you wanted to make more money from your lot, you could up-grade it to level 2 and level 3 by adding more specific items. How is that not just like they way community lots are done in Sims 4?
  • Options
    I don't recall seeing any checklist for any community lot in The Sims 3. You didn't buy a park. You zoned a big park and you put your grills in it, but there was no checklist. And I think you're confusing it with Open For Business from The Sims 2, maybe? I remember making a lot of community lots for my Sims 3 games, and I sure don't remember any levels.

So, I'd appreciate it if someone who is playing either of those games at present would correct me on this, because the last time I played TS3 was during the summer before I moved and gave my grandson my laptop.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I want toddlers. But it's not just that. I want my sims that I feel in love with back in 2000. What I want to know is why is it so hard to improve upon what is essence is the Sims! Instead you give me an MMORPG and say it's the Sims. For me, they needs to do a lot of back work, flesh out the base game, make our sims, sims once again. Once they fix those problems then I would think about getting a base game.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    edited November 2014
    [url="http://"][/url]
    I don't recall seeing any checklist for any community lot in The Sims 3. You didn't buy a park. You zoned a big park and you put your grills in it, but there was no checklist. And I think you're confusing it with Open For Business from The Sims 2, maybe? I remember making a lot of community lots for my Sims 3 games, and I sure don't remember any levels.

So, I'd appreciate it if someone who is playing either of those games at present would correct me on this, because the last time I played TS3 was during the summer before I moved and gave my grandson my laptop.

http://carls-sims-3-guide.com/careers/realestateandvenues.php

Here is a link to Carls Sims 3 page on how to buy community lots and upgrade them in the Sims 3, complete with all the specific check lists for each type of lot.

I built these a lot in the Sims 3, and made a ton of money off them :)

EDIT: Woot, link works now!

• Options
    kirajmp wrote: »

Here is a link to Carls Sims 3 page on how to buy community lots and upgrade them in the Sims 3, complete with all the specific check lists for each type of lot.

Those rules only apply if your Sim buys the venue. But it doesn't apply if you only make a venue, but your Sim doesn't buy it. I made a pub called The Frog And Dog. It was designated as a dive bar, if I remember correctly. I was free to put whatever content I wanted to put on it, and since was supposed to be a bar, I put in my version of what I thought should be in a dive bar, that I got from the community sort, you know, bar, display rack of bottles, tables, chairs, jukebox, pool table, dart board, men's and ladies restrooms. But there was no checklist. My bar was not owned by any of my Sims. I used to pretend the owner was an absentee landlord from Sim City, and later on Bridgeport.

So, the levels are optional, and only apply if your Sim buys the venue. But, it's not like that in The Sims 4. In the Sims 4, *every* community lot comes with a checklist (except for generic) of items you *have* to have in it before it can become a library/bar/lounge/gym/museum. And all the items have to be put in or else there's no venue.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    kirajmp wrote: »

Those rules only apply if your Sim buys the venue. But it doesn't apply if you only make a venue, but your Sim doesn't buy it. I made a pub called The Frog And Dog. It was designated as a dive bar, if I remember correctly. I was free to put whatever content I wanted to put on it, and since was supposed to be a bar, I put in my version of what I thought should be in a dive bar, that I got from the community sort, you know, bar, display rack of bottles, tables, chairs, jukebox, pool table, dart board, men's and ladies restrooms. But there was no checklist. My bar was not owned by any of my Sims. I used to pretend the owner was an absentee landlord from Sim City, and later on Bridgeport.

So, the levels are optional, and only apply if your Sim buys the venue. But, it's not like that in The Sims 4. In the Sims 4, *every* community lot comes with a checklist (except for generic) of items you *have* to have in it before it can become a library/bar/lounge/gym/museum. And all the items have to be put in or else there's no venue.

Ah okay, I get it now! I thought your point was that if we got an OFB type of EP, that it should be more like the Sims 3 lots you could own, and not like the Sims 4 lots where there are checklists. I didn't realize you weren't talking about lots we could own, but only about public unowned lots. Sorry about that and happy simming!