Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If We Don't Get Toddlers...

Comments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    LaAbby wrote: ยป
    I will never understand the developers ... I might take a business class just to understand this type of realm better.
    Luckily there are mods for SP. Made the game so much better.

The deveolopers aren't the problem. It's the ones above them that are. EA did not start out as a gaming company. It is run by businessmen and lawyers that haven't the slightest idea as to what a game really is.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Well they can - for instant say you have a Sim like Don Lothario who just loves the ladies and if he went around in sims 2 while you are playing him impregnating a lot of Sims ladies - they would often deliver the babies in 3 sims days without me having to play their household. But the babies would stay infants unless i played their households. But Sims 2 does not have an sp although it did include things like that. Plus there was a number of mods out there for Sims 2 that with a push of a button you could impregnant a number of sims just using that mod . So yes there were a couple of ways to do that but as i said it only provided for new infants.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    I will never understand the developers ... I might take a business class just to understand this type of realm better.
    Luckily there are mods for SP. Made the game so much better.

The deveolopers aren't the problem. It's the ones above them that are. EA did not start out as a gaming company. It is run by businessmen and lawyers that haven't the slightest idea as to what a game really is.

That explains a lot. This reminds me of a writing website I used to enjoy. It was great and all until MTV bought it, and took down a lot of enjoyable things from it. After a couple of years they shut the website down.

Although it's not really the same, I find a small similarity to it. Either way, I still want to take a business class. They say that business people are less empathetic than your average person because the business industry is a tough one. It makes sense since they're not listening to the demands of the player and still expecting sales from a game that seems half-plum done. But of course, there is still no excuse to it.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    That explains a lot. This reminds me of a writing website I used to enjoy. It was great and all until MTV bought it, and took down a lot of enjoyable things from it. After a couple of years they shut the website down.

Although it's not really the same, I find a small similarity to it. Either way, I still want to take a business class. They say that business people are less empathetic than your average person because the business industry is a tough one. It makes sense since they're not listening to the demands of the player and still expecting sales from a game that seems half-plum done. But of course, there is still no excuse to it.

Please, please, please, if you take a business class and go anywhere? Remember that demographics exist. A program can not do all the thinking for you, and Statistics are nothing but bullpoop!

I'll love you if you remain real, man... Just remain real.... ;)
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member

Please, please, please, if you take a business class and go anywhere? Remember that demographics exist. A program can not do all the thinking for you, and Statistics are nothing but bullpoop!

I'll love you if you remain real, man... Just remain real.... ;)

No I am NOT going into the business realm XD I want to be a psychologist, and that was what I learned about business in psychology.
    I want to take a business class for information purposes, I don't think I'd survive .. I'm too mushy for business.

But I do have to take statistics ...
  • Options
    No I am NOT going into the business realm XD I want to be a psychologist, and that was what I learned about business in psychology.
    I want to take a business class for information purposes, I don't think I'd survive .. I'm too mushy for business.

But I do have to take statistics ...

Psychology is my beloved playground. That's an interesting thing to study for information purposes.
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    If TS4 doesn't give us toddlers I'll be forced to babysit the staff at EA HQ and pretend like they're my Sim family toddlers...
  • Options
    If TS4 doesn't give us toddlers I'll be forced to babysit the staff at EA HQ and pretend like they're my Sim family toddlers...

Trust me, adult toddlers are way less fun than real toddlers. At least with real toddlers, you know you didn't just hear what you're pretending you did not hear.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited November 2014
    I don't know... I can't* say I will or I won't but it's getting to where I just want to cut my losses. Just, not care and then be surprised if it ever happens.

Like, years from now when I see the games while Christmas shopping for my Grandkids I can be, "Awesome! They finally get the game done and I can play it." :lol:

Kinda exaggerating but then again, I've found lots of good games that way- kinda late but they were still fun and cheap.
  • Options
    BarghaestBarghaest Posts: 168 Member
    edited November 2014
    > @kremesch73 said:
    > Absolutely true. SP was never even a thought in S2. Netiher was real time. When you leave a lot, you return to it exactly as you left it (timewise too).

This. Without story progression, if you want your neighborhood to be alive and not stagnate, you need to play every friggin household (or use mods/cheats to advance others)... but, with they way they did the relationship decay you either had to have a mod to disable it when not playing a household or by the time you finished a neighborhood sweep, the first house you played had all the relationships decay (apart from any built up during your last few households).

This is the biggest issue I have with the Sims series. The relationship system is almost designed for SP but it lacks it (I never played Sims 3, but I understand it DID have it but I hear it was poorly implemented). Now, if they aren't going to bother with SP, the least they could do is get rid of the half-๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ system they currently have. I've been playing every household and I returned to find my original household had artificial relationships... romantic, friendly and enemies. Granted none of this meant anything unless I pursued it (friends didn't register as household friends until I called them and I could ignore the romantic/rivals until their relationship decayed) but the fact that they randomly generated (or subtracted) relationship points from a household I wasn't playing annoyed me (especially since my main toon was monogamous and they had given him two different "sweethearts"... and both were already married).

Despite its flaws, I preferred the Sims 2 version of time progression... where if one member of my household wanted to go out and I followed them until they returned (say they left for the club at 6PM and left back for home at 10PM), the household I left was back at the exact instant I left it (returned to 6PM) and the sim who was away was unavailable (just like being at work) until the time I had him return (10PM).

I like a lot of features in Sims 4, but it seems like they take one step forward and two back sometimes. The removal of toddlers is a prime example... and the teens being almost indistinguishable from adults (and the height issue can't be explained away as problems with animations between different height sims because CHILDREN).

As for university... the only difference between university and the rest of the Sims 2 was the length of class. Instead of showing days of the week, you had hours until finals... but it still played exactly the same. You could leave one lot in a university and play another (on or off the university) and when you returned to that lot it was exactly where you left it - complete with how much time was remaining until said sim's finals.
  • Options
    but, with they way they did the relationship decay you either had to have a mod to disable it when not playing a household or by the time you finished a neighborhood sweep, the first house you played had all the relationships decay (apart from any built up during your last few households).

I don't understand. I still play S2. Because each house is frozen in the state you left it in, there was/is no relationship decay. Are you talking about a different game?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    It's a one-way relationship decay. Your personal sim still views the others as friend (say has 50 points) but other sims (usually the townies you can't play) decayed the return of the relationship (so instead of being a mutual 50 points, you had 50 but the NPC sim had decayed to 0 and viewed you as just an acquaintance - really noticeable with romance levels - and if you interacted with them despite having 50+ in the relationship they'd lose their friend tag - necessary for job progression - until you got THEIR view of you back up to 50). It was the main reason I started using mods (well, that and the pace of the game, aging and seasons went by too quickly for me - one of the things I like about Sims 4 is the aging scale... although it doesn't seem to affect pregnancy duration) so I could completely disable relationship decay and handle it manually... dropping it every day at midnight.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    It's a one-way relationship decay. Your personal sim still views the others as friend (say has 50 points) but other sims (usually the townies you can't play) decayed the return of the relationship (so instead of being a mutual 50 points, you had 50 but the NPC sim had decayed to 0 and viewed you as just an acquaintance - really noticeable with romance levels - and if you interacted with them despite having 50+ in the relationship they'd lose their friend tag - necessary for job progression - until you got THEIR view of you back up to 50). It was the main reason I started using mods (well, that and the pace of the game, aging and seasons went by too quickly for me - one of the things I like about Sims 4 is the aging scale... although it doesn't seem to affect pregnancy duration) so I could completely disable relationship decay and handle it manually... dropping it every day at midnight.

I never played with townies, but if Sim A in Sim household 1 befriends Sim B in Simhousehold 2, that friendship exists between the two. If Sim A makes enemies with Sim B, those sims are enemies in both households. How long has it been since you played? The house is frozen in a state. Relationships don't decay on their own unless you make them, but you can still affect those relationships from another household. I only stopped playing when S4 came out. When did you stop?
  • Options
    Years ago... can't recall how long (but I quit before Sims 3 came out, I know that...). I got distracted with other games (mainly TBS/Empire building ones). I used townies quite a bit and that's where I started noticing it - mainly because I wanted to cultivate romances between my custom sims and random other ones to bring MORE life into the neighborhood - not just shift people from house to house). I also played every ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ household in every neighborhood (all three university lots as well) and that was where I really noticed it. By the time I'd done a full sweep of all the worlds and universities, I came back to my original sim household and found he didn't have any friends credited for his promotion requirements (and I'd done my best to cultivate the relationships before moving to the next household). (As a bit of explanation, I have OCD - mild but I have it - so I'm compelled to micro-manage things otherwise I have a miserable experience watching the AI's lack of growth - really bad for me in games like Civilization where the AI can't even manage a ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ economy - they just build more troops than they can support and zerg until their empire collapses due to unhappiness).

I just got burned out due to the lack of story progression since I really wanted to play just one sim but the neighborhood stagnated (much like it does in Sims 4) unless I made the effort... but there were certain households I despised playing (Lothario was foremost, he's the antithesis of who I am, but the Landgrabbs were up there as well).
  • Options
    EniracYEniracY Posts: 1,008 Member
    Story progression, when done right, is a wonder. Pity Sims 4 all but removed it.

@LaAbby I tookd Psychology at university. You'll love it :smiley:
    'Understanding is half the battle. Fireballs are the other half.'
    - Acolyte Sousuke

'You can English in an English way all the way to the English'
    'Whether it rains, whether it snows, Sims now have weather, whatever the weather whether they like it or not.'
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Years ago... can't recall how long (but I quit before Sims 3 came out, I know that...). I got distracted with other games (mainly TBS/Empire building ones). I used townies quite a bit and that's where I started noticing it - mainly because I wanted to cultivate romances between my custom sims and random other ones to bring MORE life into the neighborhood - not just shift people from house to house).

I also played every ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ household in every neighborhood (all three university lots as well) and that was where I really noticed it. By the time I'd done a full sweep of all the worlds and universities, I came back to my original sim household and found he didn't have any friends credited for his promotion requirements (and I'd done my best to cultivate the relationships before moving to the next household).

(As a bit of explanation, I have OCD - mild but I have it - so I'm compelled to micro-manage things otherwise I have a miserable experience watching the AI's lack of growth - really bad for me in games like Civilization where the AI can't even manage a ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ economy - they just build more troops than they can support and zerg until their empire collapses due to unhappiness).

I just got burned out due to the lack of story progression since I really wanted to play just one sim but the neighborhood stagnated (much like it does in Sims 4) unless I made the effort... but there were certain households I despised playing (Lothario was foremost, he's the antithesis of who I am, but the Landgrabbs were up there as well).

Well. S3 killed the series for me. Been there since S1 and the only thing I ever wished for was the ability to visit another sim in their own home. That was pretty much it. I've basically been playing S2 until S4 was released. I'm a rotational player, so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about when it comes to S2. Won't go into why.

I'm not trying to be rude. I get that we all like different things. For example, I love liver... Oh yummy! It's like candy.

But I get most don't. That's fine. It's pretty gross in some people's eyes. So be it. Oh, but you are so missing out!

Okay, enough with the last words on liver, and eggplant, etc...

FYI: every creature on the planet has OCD. I'm not really even sure if it should be something that should be labeled. Do you have pets? Have you not noticed the OCD? Do you have family members? Goodness. Thanks to professionals, we can all have labels now.

Not insulting, just venting at society in general.

But this is the weird part about OCD. If you really had it, why didn't Story Progression drive you up the wall and down the next?

You see, I am a micromanager. Actually, more acurately, because I don't believe in myths: I'm multitasker!

What do I mean by this?

S2:

I have no idea what you're talking about.

If I were OCD, S2 would have been the sweet spot. Am I wrong in assuming that S3's story progression aged children and moved townies in and out? If I were OCD, this would drive me mad. If I left something the way I left it and manipulated it in another household, it should bloody well stay that way until I return to it, No? If I were OCD, I would expect everything to be the way I left it to be and manipulated it to be from that point on. Leaving those options to a game would just drive me insanely mad.

• Options
    @kremesch73 What didn't you like about The Sims 3?

Not looking to argue, I'm just curious :smile:
    - Acolyte Sousuke

'Whether it rains, whether it snows, Sims now have weather, whatever the weather whether they like it or not.'
  • Options
    AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    I'll probably be flamed for this but I highly disliked toddlers and like others simply cheated to age them up quickly. I will not miss them, but if they add them then I'll deal with it. With all the people who seem so upset about it they'd be kind of stupid not to add them, but I'll enjoy playing without them until they do. I wouldn't mind that family tree though and an easier time telling young adults apart from teens. I figured out an easy way to tell if you're talking to a teen, but it doesn't help if you don't talk to them first. Also more venues is what I'm looking for and either a larger neighborhood or the ability to edit it and add more lots. I don't need open world, just more space for houses.
  • Options
    @kremesch73 What didn't you like about The Sims 3?
    Not looking to argue, I'm just curious :smile:

Fair enough. I don't really know how to put it in words because it basically stems back to its release.

I am not one of those people that judged it on its looks or the rabbit holes. I did play S2, afterall. It also wasn't perfect, but I seriously hate the look of the game. I don't know how to try to be objective when it comes to it, but all I see is noise? I don't know how else to explain it. Everything is just 'noisy.' It's also full of Chucky dolls with no life. Don't be one of those players that blames it on my machine. I'm a gamer. I always have the best for what I need. I just can't stand the look of the game in its entirety. I can give you Screens if you really insist that I go back into it to prove there is nothing wrong with my graphics card. It's just that what I'm seeing, and the Pro S3 players are seeing... It's something entirely different.

I keep trying, even now. I boot it up, look at it for a few minutes, and then turn it off because I can't stand looking at it. I hate the clunky UI, I hate the Sims themselves, I hate the build mode, and I hate the lack of flow between the world, the objects, the homes, and the sims. That's just the sarting point.

The second part is if I chose to play. I am a rotational player by heart. You can't get any deeper than it gets when it comes to rotational play. I could do this in Sims 1, and I could do this in Sims 2. Sims 3 was dead to me from the start because of SP.

I still tried though. God knows I tried, and I have no idea why I wasted my time. I even bought every EP and SP (minus KP). Granted, I waited until each one was on sale, but it was never really worth it.

My first impressions of the game was that it took away my playstyle. It took away everything that was the sims. I like to leave things as I left them. When I leave a family. It should remain in the state I left it in. But that's not all. This game literally destroyed everything that the Sims meant to me and left me feeling like the game was literally dead.

Hence, I've been playing S2 ever since its release. :)
  • Options
    ... I wouldn't mind that family tree though and an easier time telling young adults apart from teens. I figured out an easy way to tell if you're talking to a teen, but it doesn't help if you don't talk to them first ...

How do you think they would add in the abiltiy to tell a teen from an adult? SimGuruMax said on another topic that the reason why they are the same height is because of the amount of work that would have had to gone in to have animations for the teenagers, so I doubt they'll ever change the height of the teens now to a more appropriate height.
    - Acolyte Sousuke

• Options
    @kremesch73 I wasn't even thinking about blaming your rig until you mentioned it, haha.

I also have a decent rig and the Sims in TS3 have always looked pudding-y to me, too. What does rotational play mean, exactly?

As I understand it (I did play TS1 & 2 but not for years now), SP was mostly nonexistant in the earlier games?
    - Acolyte Sousuke

• Options
    @kremesch73 I wasn't even thinking about blaming your rig until you mentioned it, haha.

I also have a decent rig and the Sims in TS3 have always looked pudding-y to me, too. What does rotational play mean, exactly?

As I understand it (I did play TS1 & 2 but not for years now), SP was mostly nonexistant in the earlier games?

I'm not good at explaining my playstyle. Believe it or not, I've been pretty private until the release of S4. It's just that after S3, I feel I want to be more vocal.

I presented a playstyle that I'm used to from S1 onward in this thread: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801208/bored-how-about-a-sims-4-social-study/p1

Since S3, Ive learned not to expect much. But thanks to S3, I'm learning I can actually let go a little and enjoy. Have a gander if you're interested. you don't have to join in, but it might be fun to read, or not: I don't really know.
  • Options
    EowynCarterEowynCarter Posts: 299 Member
    Well, if toddlers where a big deal for me, I wouldn't have bought the game in the first place.
  • Options
    ShayysShayys Posts: 70 Member
    > @JaciJade said:
    > No not buying until they add more family play, not just the toddlers. The game is sorely lacking in features for family style players.

I'm probably extremely late (but I'm new to commenting around and stuff), but I disagree. My gameplay is Family play - Generations, Legacies. I have not grown bored and have grown amazed at the genetics.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    >@kremesch73 said:
    >
    > But this is the weird part about OCD. If you really had it, why didn't Story Progression drive you up the wall and down >the next?
    >
    > You see, I am a micromanager. Actually, more acurately, because I don't believe in myths: I'm multitasker!
    >
    > What do I mean by this?
    >
    > S2:
    >
    > I have no idea what you're talking about.
    >
    > If I were OCD, S2 would have been the sweet spot. Am I wrong in assuming that S3's story progression aged children and moved townies in and out? If I were OCD, this would drive me mad. If I left something the way I left it and manipulated it in another household, it should bloody well stay that way until I return to it, No? If I were OCD, I would expect everything to be the way I left it to be and manipulated it to be from that point on. Leaving those options to a game would just drive me insanely mad.

*End of quote - still learning formatting on this ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ forum, so bear with me but I don't understand why it isn't boxing these quotes like it does for others...

Well, it depends on attachment. I've very OCD about my household (I tend to make myself as a sim) and I don't want the AI doing squat to it (which is why I liked the S2 way where if I left the house it would be just the way I left and I could micromanage my other family members activities when I returned while my main sim was out... I could also split up my family and have a kid at college or move into another house and still micromanage both).

The problem I have with lack of SP is the neighborhood stagnates if I don't play everyone... and I don't want to do that because my OCD will make me micromanage every detail of each household. I want to stick to my family tree and have SP for the AI fillers so I don't have to get attached to them (unless they become members of my family). As it plays, I have the compulsion to play every household just so my main sim feels like he's in a living community and I don't get to spend as much time on my main sim as I would like... plus I often get annoyed when I'm on a different household and go out on the town and see my main sim doing something I don't want him to do (like flirting will Bella when he's in a relationship - or even when he's not since SHE is). This is why I get burned out on S2 so quickly... my OCD causes a lot of work for me to build the household I desire. If I try to just stick to one sim and ignore the rest of the neighborhood, the annoyance begins to mount until I cease to have fun. I know I can age people up when I age my sims, but unless I play them they won't get married or have kids so after a while I have gone multiple generations with my family while the AI households are still the way they were (with a few age increases perhaps).

I have a similar issue with Civilization... I really just want to play my civ and carve out an empire but I get annoyed at how poorly the AI manages their own and the AI's (๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ poor) approach to politics, so I end up playing Hotseat games and controlling multiple empires when I really just want to play one and have the others be competent (not just get bonuses to make it challenging despite AI stupidity, but to manage an empire well and provide a challenge) because I approach Civilization much like I do the Sims... I'm not trying so much to "win" the game as to build an empire. I derive the same satisfaction from taking a civilization from a single settler to a world-spanning empire as I do when I take a Sim with nothing and make him top in his career with platinum aspiration and a successful family.

I was working a lot over the road when S3 was out so I never jumped on that game... but from what I'd heard the poor reaction of fans to the SP pretty much means we won't see it in S4+ (the artificial relationship adjustments we have now will probably be the extent... and because of that they annoy me since I pretty much have to play every household anyway, I'd like to see it shut off - either put in full SP toggled by household or don't put it in at all, this half-๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ attempt is sickening and that's without even starting on what happens if you allow unplayed households to age while just playing one).

As I'd said, it's been years since I played S2, but I do remember it was something about relationship decay that made me decide to use InSiminator. Now I'm thinking it was more related to decay while I was playing a household. Say I played the Newbies and became friends with the Goths.... when I went to play the Goths, if I didn't call the Newbies every day when I got back to the Newbies the Goth/Newbie relationship had decay issues (mainly on the Goth side), so I had to spend all my time constantly nurturing friendships (which became more tedious with multiple family members in a household... if you wanted all four Goths to be friendly with Bob, it took a lot of work to maintain those relationships - a bit easier with BFFs, but still a lot of work. And if you needed to maintain 10 friendships for a promotion, it meant you spent almost all your time chatting with friends instead of developing skills or other things. Plus, as I said I had issues with the pace of the game. I wish aging, skill increases and job performance had all been at a slower pace in S2... I've always been one for taking my time on things (like in Civilization I like games that take months to complete, not a few hours or days at the most) so I can enjoy the journey not racing to the destination.

FYI, I love liver (especially with sautรฉed onions).