Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If We Don't Get Toddlers...

Comments

• Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member
    abbyshire wrote: »
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    EniracY wrote: »
    @kremesch73 What didn't you like about The Sims 3?
    Not looking to argue, I'm just curious :smile:

Fair enough. I don't really know how to put it in words because it basically stems back to its release.

I am not one of those people that judged it on its looks or the rabbit holes. I did play S2, afterall. It also wasn't perfect, but I seriously hate the look of the game. I don't know how to try to be objective when it comes to it, but all I see is noise? I don't know how else to explain it. Everything is just 'noisy.' It's also full of Chucky dolls with no life. Don't be one of those players that blames it on my machine. I'm a gamer. I always have the best for what I need. I just can't stand the look of the game in its entirety. I can give you Screens if you really insist that I go back into it to prove there is nothing wrong with my graphics card. It's just that what I'm seeing, and the Pro S3 players are seeing... It's something entirely different.

I keep trying, even now. I boot it up, look at it for a few minutes, and then turn it off because I can't stand looking at it. I hate the clunky UI, I hate the Sims themselves, I hate the build mode, and I hate the lack of flow between the world, the objects, the homes, and the sims. That's just the sarting point.

The second part is if I chose to play. I am a rotational player by heart. You can't get any deeper than it gets when it comes to rotational play. I could do this in Sims 1, and I could do this in Sims 2. Sims 3 was dead to me from the start because of SP.

I still tried though. God knows I tried, and I have no idea why I wasted my time. I even bought every EP and SP (minus KP). Granted, I waited until each one was on sale, but it was never really worth it.

My first impressions of the game was that it took away my playstyle. It took away everything that was the sims. I like to leave things as I left them. When I leave a family. It should remain in the state I left it in. But that's not all. This game literally destroyed everything that the Sims meant to me and left me feeling like the game was literally dead.

Hence, I've been playing S2 ever since its release. :)

I know exactly what you're saying, and I think I know how you felt when Sims 3 happened. As another rotational player, I was crushed by Sims 3. Like you, I tried. I bought EPs. I struggled to adapt in whatever way I could. I installed mods. Nothing truly worked. I couldn't play my sims my way, and I finally gave up trying.

Is rotational playing basically where you change active households a lot? Why wasn't TS3 conducive to that kind of play? Just curious. :)

Yes, rotational play means playing through many different households. In Sims 2, I played 140 households. In Sims 4, by comparison, I have only 14 households. In my game, one complete rotation equals one year.

In Sims 3, rotational play ruined every storyline I tried to create. Consider the story of Beau, a poor boy from the backwoods who enlisted in the military. I hoped to see Beau work hard and make something of himself. I left him in his trailer with a few simoleons to his name, and I moved on to play other families. I probably had about 10 families. When I rotated back to Beau, he was an astronaut with tens of thousands of simoleons in his account. So much for watching his life unfold and guiding him along the path.

In short, story progression made it impossible for me to create the interactive, ongoing storylines I build my game around. For me, the joy of simming comes from the creative fun of watching my sims go about their lives, then putting all of their actions into a story. I love the random things that would happen in the original Sims and in Sims 2. I couldn't play Sims 3, though, because even with story progression turned off, my sims still advanced from Level 1 to the top of their careers, quit their jobs, or changed their jobs. Money poured in while I was playing other families. All my sims were living highly successful lives (which, frankly, makes for very dull stories) and worse, they were living those lives without me. The game was playing itself, and it wasn't fun. I wasn't a co-creator, merely a bystander.

I made every attempt to find a way to play. I finally did play a single family -- which I find extremely boring -- but I stuck with it long enough to get to the third generation. At that point, the whole game glitched up and I lost everything. So I quit playing and said a few words to the gods of simming in hopes that Sims 4 would once more allow me to play.

• Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    kirajmp wrote: »

Ah okay, I get it now! I thought your point was that if we got an OFB type of EP, that it should be more like the Sims 3 lots you could own, and not like the Sims 4 lots where there are checklists. I didn't realize you weren't talking about lots we could own, but only about public unowned lots. Sorry about that and happy simming!

No, I meant that any community lot that is added if they add more zoning to the game will come with a checklist. The only one that doesn't is the generic lot, and that one doesn't get a lot of visitors autonomously. You might get one or two, but only if you're lucky. If the generic lot had a visitors/no visitors option, it could be more like a free-form community lot, which could be designed by the player to serve whatever purpose the player wanted it...in other words, another venue for Sims to visit and do things in.

EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    lovlyblovlyb Posts: 968 Member
    Yes!! I personally don't care for toddlers at all, even when I play Sims 3 I age them up.
  • Options
    Joey2eyeballJoey2eyeball Posts: 1,792 Member

Fair enough. I don't really know how to put it in words because it basically stems back to its release.

I am not one of those people that judged it on its looks or the rabbit holes. I did play S2, afterall. It also wasn't perfect, but I seriously hate the look of the game. I don't know how to try to be objective when it comes to it, but all I see is noise? I don't know how else to explain it. Everything is just 'noisy.' It's also full of Chucky dolls with no life. Don't be one of those players that blames it on my machine. I'm a gamer. I always have the best for what I need. I just can't stand the look of the game in its entirety. I can give you Screens if you really insist that I go back into it to prove there is nothing wrong with my graphics card. It's just that what I'm seeing, and the Pro S3 players are seeing... It's something entirely different.

I keep trying, even now. I boot it up, look at it for a few minutes, and then turn it off because I can't stand looking at it. I hate the clunky UI, I hate the Sims themselves, I hate the build mode, and I hate the lack of flow between the world, the objects, the homes, and the sims. That's just the sarting point.

The second part is if I chose to play. I am a rotational player by heart. You can't get any deeper than it gets when it comes to rotational play. I could do this in Sims 1, and I could do this in Sims 2. Sims 3 was dead to me from the start because of SP.

I still tried though. God knows I tried, and I have no idea why I wasted my time. I even bought every EP and SP (minus KP). Granted, I waited until each one was on sale, but it was never really worth it.

My first impressions of the game was that it took away my playstyle. It took away everything that was the sims. I like to leave things as I left them. When I leave a family. It should remain in the state I left it in. But that's not all. This game literally destroyed everything that the Sims meant to me and left me feeling like the game was literally dead.

I know exactly what you're saying, and I think I know how you felt when Sims 3 happened. As another rotational player, I was crushed by Sims 3. Like you, I tried. I bought EPs. I struggled to adapt in whatever way I could. I installed mods. Nothing truly worked. I couldn't play my sims my way, and I finally gave up trying.

Is rotational playing basically where you change active households a lot? Why wasn't TS3 conducive to that kind of play? Just curious. :)

Yes, rotational play means playing through many different households. In Sims 2, I played 140 households. In Sims 4, by comparison, I have only 14 households. In my game, one complete rotation equals one year.

In Sims 3, rotational play ruined every storyline I tried to create. Consider the story of Beau, a poor boy from the backwoods who enlisted in the military. I hoped to see Beau work hard and make something of himself. I left him in his trailer with a few simoleons to his name, and I moved on to play other families. I probably had about 10 families. When I rotated back to Beau, he was an astronaut with tens of thousands of simoleons in his account. So much for watching his life unfold and guiding him along the path.

In short, story progression made it impossible for me to create the interactive, ongoing storylines I build my game around. For me, the joy of simming comes from the creative fun of watching my sims go about their lives, then putting all of their actions into a story. I love the random things that would happen in the original Sims and in Sims 2. I couldn't play Sims 3, though, because even with story progression turned off, my sims still advanced from Level 1 to the top of their careers, quit their jobs, or changed their jobs. Money poured in while I was playing other families. All my sims were living highly successful lives (which, frankly, makes for very dull stories) and worse, they were living those lives without me. The game was playing itself, and it wasn't fun. I wasn't a co-creator, merely a bystander.

I made every attempt to find a way to play. I finally did play a single family -- which I find extremely boring -- but I stuck with it long enough to get to the third generation. At that point, the whole game glitched up and I lost everything. So I quit playing and said a few words to the gods of simming in hopes that Sims 4 would once more allow me to play.

I only liked story progression when I wasn't bothered to play any others and just played one family. Yet when I properly tried to play each and every family, everything changed. Sims moved away or died, they moved up in their career or quit, children aged up into a really weird looking teenager, had babies, etc, while I went crazy and rage-uninstalled the game.
    My name is Joseph, please don't call me Joe or Joey.

Yours sincerely, Joseph :)
  • Options
    CloverreaCloverrea Posts: 134 Member
    I would enjoy having toddlers back but I personally don't feel like I absolutely need them back for my game to feel complete. I'd be a bit disappointed maybe but definitely still continue on with playing the game and EP's. Who knows maybe with the release of EP's and new things I will care less and less about not having toddlers.

I guess I am trying to say that because we had them before it feels odd not to like something is missing... . From my own experience, while finding them super cute, I also found them annoying and often set the toddler age slider to very few days. I think the way the teens are make me angrier than the lack of toddlers.

I don't mind repeated EP's either I would like to see Pet's, Seasons, Generations, OFB(this was one of my favorites!). I kinda missed nightlife, being able to make clubs and I loved the chemistry relationship system. Either way I am excited to see what gets unveiled.

Happy Simming!
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Shayys wrote: »
    > @JaciJade said:<br />
    > No not buying until they add more family play, not just the toddlers. The game is sorely lacking in features for family style players.<br />
    <br />
    I'm probably extremely late (but I'm new to commenting around and stuff), but I disagree. My gameplay is Family play - Generations, Legacies. I have not grown bored and have grown amazed at the genetics.

I am with you, I too do a Generation gameplay, I am just about into my 4th generation with Sims 4. I am not bored and love the game. I am waiting for the Mother and Father to rest in peace, as when they do, my YA sim will get married and she will not be living in the house she is in now, I have prepared a fishing cabin for them, that is the only thing she will inherit plus only $1 for them.
    They will only be able to make money by fishing and gardening, the cabin is very bare. I can't wait to get started on this next generation.
    I am excited to see how they make out. they will be adopting this time around. I keep a family tree journal. I did a A-Z generation in Sims 3 and kept it all in a journal. this family I am now playing is extended from the A-Z generation of the Dexter's. I gave the Sim in Sims 4 the same name as his founding generation ancestor. So I am going from there in the Sims 4. Doing another A-Z Generation.
  • Options
    AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    > @EniracY said:
    > Andiratyme wrote: »
    >
    > ... I wouldn't mind that family tree though and an easier time telling young adults apart from teens. I figured out an easy way to tell if you're talking to a teen, but it doesn't help if you don't talk to them first ...
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > How do you think they would add in the abiltiy to tell a teen from an adult? SimGuruMax said on another topic that the reason why they are the same height is because of the amount of work that would have had to gone in to have animations for the teenagers, so I doubt they'll ever change the height of the teens now to a more appropriate height.

Different height is only one way. Different hair and clothes would work also. You can tell after you start talking to them because teens only have two traits and adults/young adults have 3 but it's still frustrating. As a teen, I didn't want to wear my mom's clothes or look like her.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited November 2014

Wow, that is amazing 104 households, I do not play rotation game play, I think I would be overwhelmed. Good for you.
    I only play one family and did a A-Z generation with them. I am doing another A-Z now in Sims 4.
    I play so that no one moves out, so you have a mother and father and then a child, when the child grows up and gets married they do not move out so you now have 4 sims and when the new baby comes you have 5, but by then sometimes the grandparents are gone so you end up with three again. I don't know why, I just love playing this way. the family just keeps changing, only in the same household. I only need three bedrooms at any given time. I love it now as everyone has such amazing emotions. they are so different, my sim family is so loving and attached to each other. always hugging and kissing with out being told to do so. I love it.
    Hope that you find your way to play that you like.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited November 2014
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    No, I meant that any community lot that is added if they add more zoning to the game will come with a checklist. The only one that doesn't is the generic lot, and that one doesn't get a lot of visitors autonomously. You might get one or two, but only if you're lucky. If the generic lot had a visitors/no visitors option, it could be more like a free-form community lot, which could be designed by the player to serve whatever purpose the player wanted it...in other words, another venue for Sims to visit and do things in.

It took me a while to understand what you were taking about there. I thought you were talking about gameplay and I was sitting there and shaking my head. It all makes sense now.

I'm a bit torn on those checklists. Part of me thinks they're a good idea, especially when I think back to us building community lots and even apartments back in S2. I recall seeing a lot of threads where people couldn't figure out why their lot wasn't working the way it should. In this respect, it's great to have a list telling you what you need to make it work properly.

The downside is that it's mandatory. Maybe I just don't want to have x number of chairs. I think it would have been better if it was simply a guide, rather than a mandatory list.

Either way, I've pretty much gotten over it. If I have to place one more chair that I didn't really want to place, it's really not a big deal. I can still build around the mandatory items and still make the lot what I want it to be. Both my pub and nightclub are also internet cafes with a lounge where sims can sit and chat on comfy sofas. They both have full kitchens, and my nightclub also doubles as an Inn. One of my galleries is a Science Gallery, and it really doesn't break my heart that I had to put some pictures on the walls or add easels. I just chose to put up paintings and such that suited the atmosphere of what I wanted to build.

This is the positive side to the checklist. Yes. I have to have items present that maybe I didn't want, but at least it's not stopping me from adding the extra things I do want.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    hedgekat1hedgekat1 Posts: 169 Member
    I want toddlers but whether or not I buy EPs will depend on what's in it. What is more important to me is whether or not I can have true rotational game play as @NoWayjose decribed above. I too had over 100 households in my S2 game, spread over 4 subhoods. Over 1200 character files, with no townies and limited NPCs. In S3 I never attempted that. I had more than one family but they were in totally separate games. When kids grew up and moved out I let Story Progression take care of them. I never bought EPs for S3 but more because my S3 capable computer quit on me than because of dissatisfaction with it. I only recently got my high end machine fixed in time for S4. (And it's no longer high end) But in S4 I can't play either the way I did in S2 OR the way I did in S3. Until or if I can find a satisfactory way of playing in S4 I won't buy any EPs. At this point I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the base game.
  • Options
    MaroonPantsMaroonPants Posts: 387 Member
    KevWalker wrote: »
    @LokiSimsies : Agreed about teens, also Elders don't look old enough - barely discernible wrinkles and grey hair don't cut it.

I do like the animations they add, like when my elder sims throw out their backs :#
    11909804_873412349399467_742719380_n.jpg?oh=52e438b18b94d2bf9fc31502acc3571d&oe=55D2753F
    I made art of of a Pepe and Google Deep Dream XD
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    KevWalker wrote: »
    @LokiSimsies : Agreed about teens, also Elders don't look old enough - barely discernible wrinkles and grey hair don't cut it.

I do like the animations they add, like when my elder sims throw out their backs :#

They looked too old in TS3. Especially if you gave them a cane.

• Options
    Megan31917Megan31917 Posts: 457 Member
    ...will you continue to buy expansion packs? Will you continue to play Sims 4?

No. My style of play was eliminated when they removed toddlers.
    I played on a friends computer & never bought Sims 4. I was bored within a few hours. Babies stuck to a bassinet that grow into a child is not for me.
    No plans to buy the game unless it's improved -yet I don't see that happening. I'm happy with my Sims 3 families.

• Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    If the game play of the base game is basically flawed because they've taken all the good stuff out, like an entire life stage and you're left with checklists in building a community lot, and you don't like that check list, why buy an expansion pack that's only going to reinforce the flaws of the base game and add another layer to the development teams' "vision" of the Sims?

Sorry, but I'll pass.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    I won't be affected about them not adding toddlers back, not in the slightest. For the people who want them, hopefully they get them. I'll continue to buy the EPs if they appeal to me.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    To answer my own question...I'm very undecided at this point, which isn't really an answer at all. I do miss toddlers. The sudden change from baby in a bassinet to school-age child with homework doesn't fit in with the ongoing storylines my sims and I create around their lives. Because my simming/storylines follow a timeline, I can't write about the birth of a daughter in one rotation and then in the next rotation (one sim year later) have her rushing off to school. My only choice is to leave these dreadful, squalling, demanding objects as precisely that -- dreadful, squalling, demanding objects -- for six complete rotations. At that point, in their family story, they are 6 years old and ready for school.

So, I'm being cheated out of years of play with the toddlers. They're being cheated out of years of their own story. All I can really write about them is something like this: Ian hates his little sister. She's a brat, and his parents are always giving her their attention.

If toddlers are added, yes, I will continue playing and purchasing. I will gladly buy every EP and SP.

If we don't get toddlers, I will probably continue to play for now, but at some point, I'll get up and simply not come back. I'll be busy doing other things, and since Sims 4 isn't capturing and holding my attention, it will be easy to move on. Along with the toddlers I so dearly loved, EA has taken away a lot of the creative freedom that was part of the original game and Sims 2.

I want both back. EA, I want my toddlers, and I want my sandbox.
    Post edited by NoWayJose527 on
  • Options
    DrDubstepphdDrDubstepphd Posts: 13 New Member
    Indeed i shall, Toddlers are the important to me XD
  • Options
    izzat22izzat22 Posts: 2 New Member
    I didn't care a lot about the toddlers, but it isn't bad to have them either.

But what I want them to change the most is to make teenagers, teenagers again, instead of making them the same as adult that lose one trait and go to school.

Please bring back the REAL teenagers. I really miss how interesting it was to play teens in TS2 and TS3. :'(
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    In answer to the original question: If the pack is interesting to me, then if we didn't get toddlers I'd buy.
  • Options
    KnightSlayer85KnightSlayer85 Posts: 70 Member
    Yes. I'm not bothered at all by the fact that toddlers aren't in the game. If they ever do get patched in, I'm just gonna skip that life stage like I've always done.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    ...will you continue to buy expansion packs? Will you continue to play Sims 4?

No.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    To answer my own question...I'm very undecided at this point, which isn't really an answer at all. I do miss toddlers. The sudden change from baby in a bassinet to school-age child with homework doesn't fit in with the ongoing storylines my sims and I create around their lives. Because my simming/storylines follow a timeline, I can't write about the birth of a daughter in one rotation and then in the next rotation (one sim year later) have her rushing off to school. My only choice is to leave these dreadful, squalling, demanding objects as precisely that -- dreadful, squalling, demanding objects -- for six complete rotations. At that point, in their family story, they are 6 years old and ready for school.

So, I'm being cheated out of years of play with the toddlers. They're being cheated out of years of their own story. All I can really write about them is something like this: Ian hates his little sister. She's a brat, and his parents are always giving her their attention.

If toddlers are added, yes, I will continue playing and purchasing. I will gladly buy every EP and SP.

If we don't get toddlers, I will probably continue to play for now, but at some point, I'll get up and simply not come back. I'll be busy doing other things, and since Sims 4 isn't capturing and holding my attention, it will be easy to move on. Along with the toddlers I so dearly loved, EA has taken away a lot of the creative freedom that was part of the original game and Sims 2.

We have the same game play style and I feel exactly the same way as you.
  • Options

We have the same game play style and I feel exactly the same way as you.

Nice to meet someone who plays in a similar style. Here's to creative simming!
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

How could you sum things up so perfectly? That's exactly how I feel- my sims are missing out on a longer, more varied life and I'm missing out on fully immersing myself with them and enjoying those generations too :-( it's like if I want to play a fully fleshed out sim I have to return to previous games to do so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.