Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Play The Sims 3 to Win Big ~CONGRATS WINNERS~

Comments

• Options
    AshleykaymayAshleykaymay Posts: 1,524 Member
    edited November 2013
    I saw this last week and finally had time to check it out. This sounds like a great challenge. Like a few who are part of this, all I do is build and decorate. I really miss actually playing the game. :lol: I'm going to give this a try!

I am planning on using Krissy and Josh. He's such a cute kid! I think I'll use the Cozy Victorian too...sashraf once made a victorian for me and it is still one of my favorite houses. I know I'll have fun playing in her house.

Couple quick questions:

1. We are allowed to change the house up as they have the money for it yes? I'm 99% sure I know the answer to this but just wanted to check.

2. I do have Generations but can I take screenshots as well or instead? Sometimes my connection for memories and such can mess with my game. Plus I adore taking screenshots and don't mind going through the process of uploading them. If you would rather me just do memories I can do that.
  • Options
    RayshizzieRayshizzie Posts: 2,650 Member
    edited November 2013
    Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to do this :( I was very much looking forward to it but I am having some issues with my game/computer not sure which. It keeps saying I don't have the latest patch downloaded even though I updated it numerous times and it just won't let me download any of the sims. I had the same issue with the starter home (it would say it contained items from ep/sp I don't have, even though I DO have them all) but I was still able to actually get the home into my game. For some reason the sims won't show up anywhere in my game at all and I know this is completely on my end and I've tried figuring it all out but I'm not good with computers (to say the least lol).

So sorry I have to drop already I really did want to participate so badly :( I will still enjoy lurking though and checking out everyone's entries! Such a wonderful idea for a game/contest, hopefully there will be more like it in the future once I can get my issues figured out lol

Good luck everyone!!
  • Options
    LissykinLissykin Posts: 2,794 Member
    edited November 2013
    I think I was going on the assumption that they would have 20,000 simoleons, which wasn't the case. Was it that way in Sims2? I'm not sure where I got that number. The description (of the Victorian house) says it's under $17,500, but you have to take the lot size into consideration. I put it on a slightly larger lot and that was part of the problem.

I'm so sorry to see that you're running into trouble with this. I create my own version of the contest in game and discovered that yes, the lot size is the issue. You may want to think about moving them to Sunset Valley. There's no penalty for moving the house to a different neighborhood.

The last message you wrote...
    Or I could start over, but try the other house this time and see if having the pond for fishing is enough of a boost to the family finances.

In any case, I will keep going and I will have something to enter. I'm not going to post the memories or screenshots until I have figured out what I'm going to do, though.

The Victorian is a tougher start, I saw that you were thinking of trying the pond lot, and I agree that it could be the best thing. I'd tried scouring the Exchange to find a starter home that is under 12000 simoleans, and base game only; sadly that wasn't happening. :shock:

I have another tip for you....
    Using community lots doesn't count as cheating, so you may want to try one or more of these gardens:

Perfect Harvest Base game WA created by Grandmothergamer

Collector Island Park created by XOX1

Heritage Community Gardens 4.0 created by starguru

Peaceful Gardens created by Joolster

Perfect Garden created by sashraf

There's different levels of content in each garden, so I hope you can find one that suits you. If you don't have the content required for some of these, I would suggest visiting the creators studios to find earlier versions.
    Also, some questions.
    1. There was mention of time setting/life span. Any preferences?
    2. Do we stop playing when the target sim reaches YA, during the YA phase or what? I think it would be cool to do the whole life span.
    3. Also, I did change their outfits and hair color but nothing else. Would there be a problem with changing the names? I didn't and wouldn't change the given traits.

Also, please don't take it personally or think I'm criticizing the contest. I haven't played much for quite some time and am sort of getting back into it (while trying to not spend all my time on Sims - I sometimes exhibit addictive behavior with games - and by sometimes I mean a lot). I haven't done any contests like this before and I'm trying to follow the rules and everything. I haven't been playing with cheats in my games for quite a while, but it is harder for a single parent in the game, especially with a toddler, and that's really the point of the contest, isn't it? So I need to figure out what I can and can't do in order to make this work.

Answers to your questions....
    1. The time setting/life span is totally your discretion.
    2. The idea is to reach YA, but if you choose to play beyond that, that's fine! :D
    3. It's fine to change the names. Thank you for asking!

These were awesome questions. I'm going to update the OP with the answers. :mrgreen:

I totally understand how hard it is to play a single parent household. I admit is was by design; dawnrob and I wanted to push people out of their gaming comfort zones and pose a challenge. I hope it doesn't deter you, I'm sure you'll find more success now that the kidlet is a child. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    BlackZanie wrote:
    This sounds like an interesting contest ! May I be entered please ? I used to play single parents all the time, though I must admit I rarely get to choose the traits of their offsprings when they grow up :roll: I guess I'll have to make some radical changes to my gameplay, lol. But I'm ready to take up the challenge and try to convince my sims to act like responsible parents ! :mrgreen:

Thanks for joining in!!
    I hope you have fun creating that trait selecting awesome parent. :wink:
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    ciane wrote:
    I may have missed this...

Is the object to accumulate as many memories as possible? I'm just curious as I play on a realistic time span with one Sim day for each year of life. I allow my toddlers five days to cover their pre-school days. Then, they are kids for 7 days, bringing them up to 12, pre-teen, and they are teens for just 7 days, which would equate to 19 years at the start of university.

They don't have a lot of extra time that way, and it makes every minute count just like in real life and our priorities. However, that might not be the best way to play this. Thus, my question.

Another great question! :D

The object is to have as well rounded and successful of a Sim as you can muster. The memories are more a way of helping us see the journey your simmie takes to get to that end result. I hope that helps. :)
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited November 2013
    So now that the toddler is a YA and has graduated HS, I can continue and take him to university?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    ErnesaT wrote:
    I want to play, please. :mrgreen:

I'll let you know which sims and house I choose.

I'm not in for the win but, merely, the challenge. I'm finally getting to play my game again. If I should happen to place, can I donate my points?

Welcome, welcome! Happy_bounce_by_stevanov.gif

Yes, you can gift the points. Thank you for asking. I'll add that info to the OP.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    kettlelady wrote:
    Hey, I'm about playing in two minutes but just come across to say that I've chosen sweet Kieffer girls and this more expensive home, will be back in couple of hours with screens and story! :D

Woot! Looking forward to your entry! :mrgreen:
    kettlelady wrote:
    I hope that no one will be yelling because of my question... I've just started my storyline and collecting memories but I've read carefully rules on the first page and there's "one post for entry" - that means that I can't add everyday new memories just one time all story and that's it, right?

Actually, you can add one memory at a time. Just edit the same post over and over to add the memories. So when you've made your entry post, you can go back and edit in one memory at a time, or do them in bulk. It's totally up to you.
    I hope that helps. :)

Edit: I just read what ciane said, and she's right. The memories will be in your studio, so all you have to do is follow the instructions for sharing them here.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    kkoon wrote:
    I would like to be added :) This seems like a fun idea!

Yay! I've added you. Please let me or dawnrob know if you have any questions. Thanks for playing, have fun! :)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Couple quick questions:

1. We are allowed to change the house up as they have the money for it yes? I'm 99% sure I know the answer to this but just wanted to check.

2. I do have Generations but can I take screenshots as well or instead? Sometimes my connection for memories and such can mess with my game. Plus I adore taking screenshots and don't mind going through the process of uploading them. If you would rather me just do memories I can do that.

You're on the list. :)

I love seeing creators playing! I know your pain, I figure that once Sims 4 comes out, there'll still be loads of content from this version that I haven't even played with yet. lol That's part of what made this seem like so much fun. Something that let's people just have fun, and at the same time allow me see how everyone else plays with their dolls. :)

In answer to your questions....
    1. Yes
    2. Either way is fine. Thanks for checking though!

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Rayshizzie wrote:
    Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to do this :( I was very much looking forward to it but I am having some issues with my game/computer not sure which. It keeps saying I don't have the latest patch downloaded even though I updated it numerous times and it just won't let me download any of the sims. I had the same issue with the starter home (it would say it contained items from ep/sp I don't have, even though I DO have them all) but I was still able to actually get the home into my game. For some reason the sims won't show up anywhere in my game at all and I know this is completely on my end and I've tried figuring it all out but I'm not good with computers (to say the least lol).

So sorry I have to drop already I really did want to participate so badly :( I will still enjoy lurking though and checking out everyone's entries! Such a wonderful idea for a game/contest, hopefully there will be more like it in the future once I can get my issues figured out lol

Good luck everyone!!

Aw, I hate that you won't be able to play. What would you say about downloading them from mediafire? I find that they seem to install better, bypassing the warning, when downloaded there.

Please let me know what you think. I'd be more than happy to do this for you. :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    ciane wrote:
    So now that the toddler is a YA and has graduated HS, I can continue and take him to university?

Yes. :mrgreen:

No streaking though! Hah!! Just kidding, streak away! lol
    Streak.jpg"height=350""width=500"
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Lissykin wrote:
    Rayshizzie wrote:

Good luck everyone!!

Aw, I hate that you won't be able to play. What would you say about downloading them from mediafire? I find that they seem to install better, bypassing the warning, when downloaded there.

Please let me know what you think. I'd be more than happy to do this for you. :thumbup:

I've never used mediafire before to dl anything but I would definitely be willing to try it. Thanks you!
  • Options
    CaySedaiSimCaySedaiSim Posts: 581 Member
    edited November 2013
    @Rayshizzie: I had problems finding the downloaded sims at first, too. I had never used sims from the exchange before. I'm going under the assumption that this is your situation.

Here's what I did, as near as I can remember:

I started a new game, and when I went into create a household, after some messing around I saw a thing near the lower left of the screen where you can use a premade sim (the six little heads). Click on that. Then there are several options. You can click on the asterisk to see only custom sims. You might have to select the type (human), gender and age first. Do the first one, then click the + to do the second one. I know that's elementary, but trust me, don't do like I did and keep switching back from one to the other. I did the mom, then the kid, then the mom again before clicking the + sign. :roll:

vIZzLrlTVk95poGnLV55bsGHjpmDS1xqlRORq3g1U88=w345-h259-p-no

Anyway, apparently third time's the charm for me. I am using the house with the pond now. I edited the town to add a couple of venues - one from the exchange (Lil' Farmer's Park: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7799290), and the Stones Throw Greenhouse. I modified both of them a little bit. I put a playpen, swing and walker in the greenhouse, as well as all-in-one bathrooms.

My family has been to the future, and I learned a valuable lesson there. Put the crib and potty chair in family inventory first (and toys, too), and you won't have to buy them in the future (when traveling with a toddler). And you can put future stuff in your sim's personal or family inventory and bring it back ... (sneaky, right? I hope this doesn't make my game invalid for the contest. I would like to point out that my sim brought back a book totally on her own and she does not the kleptomaniac trait.)

I always have a problem with trying to find a bed in the future that nobody else will use. I set it as my sim's bed, but other people come along and use it anyway. But by putting it in the family inventory until my sim needs, it, it won't be used by other people. I also changed the wallpaper in that room so it's easy to find.
    Member of the Own the Store Club! B)
  • Options
    kettleladykettlelady Posts: 303 New Member
    edited November 2013
    Ok, I've already gathered some memories but I think it's not so easy in my case cause I had all my memories in polish so... I was trying more to tell the story not to translate very strict. And the game is not very polite today - sometimes I got some troubles and it breaks and goes off but now it's very often and it's like I was playing, Zoe grew up, became a kid, her imaginary friend also grew up and the game crashed. Today I tried to copy the same scenario to go on with the same plot but imaginary friend got a bug and couldn't grew up :( Ok, I'll edit my post and show what's the problem with translated memories :D (and there are no screens, I don't know what has happened -.-)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Thank you so much for the suggestion CaySedaiSim! But I actually used to dl from the exchange all the time and never really had this problem until the latest patch. I think it may be related because my game won't read that I am updating it or something. I did check CAS and they aren't with the other custom sims, but I do appreciate the suggestions! Not giving up just yet though :D I'm going to try media fire and see if I can get EA on chat to help me figure out why my game won't let me update it :D
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited November 2013
    Ray, that is wierd. I don't have the latest patch and so I can't download items made with the latest patch (or at least some of them). Yet, I was able to download these.

Just curious, did you try renaming your sims 3 folder (in your documents folder) so that it creates a brand new game with NOTHING in it but the EPs and SPs?

See if you can download and install into a brand new game. Then you can always copy your stuff into your new game if it works. If it doesn't work, just rename or delete the new folder you created and rename your old one back to the sims 3.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    @Rayshizzie: As I mentioned, I had a little trouble at first. So if you don't need my instructions, maybe they will help someone else. :D

I've had to ask for help in new ways for this challenge. If you read my earlier posts, my first attempt was totally broke and my second attempt went to China to try to earn money to avoid being broke, but when she returned, her kid was missing. :roll: So I'm on my third attempt - lucky there's a four-week time period. :wink:

Now I wonder if I can take the family into CAS before placing them on the lot ... When I first made the household, I set the clothes to look appropriate for the 1940s or so. I was going to have the story be that the dad "didn't come back from the war." Now that I've changed my mind on that storyline, those clothes aren't appropriate for the new storyline. I have changed them now, but the earlier screenshots have the original clothes I set up. I also wanted to change their names, but didn't get that done. (But I don't want to start over for that, LOL.)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    ciane wrote:
    Ray, that is wierd. I don't have the latest patch and so I can't download items made with the latest patch (or at least some of them). Yet, I was able to download these.

Just curious, did you try renaming your sims 3 folder (in your documents folder) so that it creates a brand new game with NOTHING in it but the EPs and SPs?

See if you can download and install into a brand new game. Then you can always copy your stuff into your new game if it works. If it doesn't work, just rename or delete the new folder you created and rename your old one back to the sims 3.

No I haven't tried that, I definitely will though tomorrow, thanks so much! Yeah the weird thing is I was able to dl the starter house, the message did pop up but the lot still went into my game. I will definitely try to rename my file though, haven't tried that yet!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    @Rayshizzie: As I mentioned, I had a little trouble at first. So if you don't need my instructions, maybe they will help someone else. :D

I've had to ask for help in new ways for this challenge. If you read my earlier posts, my first attempt was totally broke and my second attempt went to China to try to earn money to avoid being broke, but when she returned, her kid was missing. :roll: So I'm on my third attempt - lucky there's a four-week time period. :wink:

Now I wonder if I can take the family into CAS before placing them on the lot ... When I first made the household, I set the clothes to look appropriate for the 1940s or so. I was going to have the story be that the dad "didn't come back from the war." Now that I've changed my mind on that storyline, those clothes aren't appropriate for the new storyline. I have changed them now, but the earlier screenshots have the original clothes I set up. I also wanted to change their names, but didn't get that done. (But I don't want to start over for that, LOL.)

I agree I'm glad we got a nice extension :D I've had that happoen too where a sim goes missing after vacation. Resetsim didn't even work I had to start a new game :( Hope you get everything sorted out too!
  • Options
    DangerDangerDangerDanger Posts: 5,327 Member
    edited November 2013
    GAHHH!!! Zoe is bugged in my game! She won't age up, no matter what I try. And if I try to move out the family and move them back in, Zoe disappears! She doesn't appear in the picture in the loading screen either. I think I'm going to have to start over. :(
    Hi. I'm Danger. I like spaceships, Pringles, and cats. I dislike fruits and vegetables, sunlight, and the motion picture Titanic. I do not own a sword, nor do I know how to draw unicorns. As you can see, I don't have much to offer the world.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    GAHHH!!! Zoe is bugged in my game! She won't age up, no matter what I try. And if I try to move out the family and move them back in, Zoe disappears! She doesn't appear in the picture in the loading screen either. I think I'm going to have to start over. :(

You get used to it, after awhile. :wink:
  • Options
    AshleykaymayAshleykaymay Posts: 1,524 Member
    edited November 2013
    OK...don't laugh ya'll. I went in game 45 minutes ago to start this challenge. Remember how I said "I want to do this because I want to something other then build blah blah blah.".

Yeah. I might have just spent those last 45 minutes revamping the SV school lot to fit the Town Life school plus a bunch of fun extras. I was placing all my favorite lots and got a little off track. :lol: I guess I really did need this challenge. :oops:
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    One thing I've discovered is that each world has different sizes of available lots. One world might not have any blank lots smaller than 40 by 40(making it more expensive to set up house), while another might not have anything bigger than 40 by 30 (which is why I don't have the Early Prodigies Learning Center in my current game, like I had planned). So I looked at several of the world before picking one, then ended up changing twice more when I had major problems with the first two games. (I can still go back and play them, but not for this challenge.)

Maybe when I have a bunch of "free time" I'll look at each world I own and see what the available lot sizes are. (Then I'll probably find out someone has done it already ... )

(Okay, Google is my friend. Yes, at least some of it is on http://sims.wikia.com. Aurora Skies - yes. Sunset Valley - no. I haven't checked any others.)
  • Options
    kkoonkkoon Posts: 71 Member
    edited November 2013
    Quick question. Since this is the first time I have ever shared memories or anything like that, would it be possible to just have them in my studio or do you want them shared here? I'm concerned that the amount of memories would take up a lot of space :)