Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you think the big news is?

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2018
    peach1red wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    Maybe that Sims Mobile is taking over and that Sims 4 is done for? It seems everyone wants to get in on the mobile gaming bandwagon for some reason.
    The market for mobile games have been growing in recent years and is now bigger than tha markets for PC games and console games put together. See http://nordic.businessinsider.com/mobile-games-more-money-than-console-pc-chart-2017-6?r=US&IR=T

The reason is the huge growth in the number of smartphones and the market for such games is especially huge in the very populous countries in Asia. So the game companies just has to make more of such games.

The markets for PC games and console games haven’t become smaller though. So even though the game companies have to make more mobile games they also have to make just as many games for PCs and consoles as they did earlier. They just have to expand because the total market for games has been growing a lot too.

So don’t fear the mobile market. It won’t be that market that finally will kill the big Sims games for the PCs! :)

That's the most comforting news I've heard far too long..

Even EA CEO Andrew Wilson stated that in an interview I just saw yesterday - that he sees a Billion people around the world being connected to EAs games on all devices they own from pc, to mobile, to console, to VR as that is where they are heading and aiming. He want people to be able to play ALL their favorite games on any and all devices, any time and any place in the world.
    VR hmm? That could be interesting but I wonder if we could switch between sims that way that are in the same household.

Still the PC needs to get the most attention.

Oh I won't be doing VR - I tested a couple of VR sets and both made me very ill with in minutes. One of my sons who is a programmer and avid hardcore gamer experienced the same motion issue just not as quickly as I do - but we were told if you suffer any kind of vertigo, serious headaches or motion sickness in any form - you will most likely not be able to tolerate VR - and boy were they right. For me it was almost instantly in both sets I tried. My son lasted about 15-20 minutes. So nope - not going for VR. I stayed ill rest of the after noon after trying them.

To be fair I do have vertigo in some games and in cars, and get Migraines with aura - so I probably should have never volunteered to try it. LOL. But I couldn't resist - lol.

My older brother can go for hours. There was even someone game where he piloted a jet or something, he did barrel rolls while looking all around and didn't even get the slightest bit queasy. That shouldn't be possible.

That surprised me with my son as he has no problem with flying, sky diving, bungie jumping, loves carnival rides, you name and he's done it. He plays first person shooters all the time and many of those simulation and car racing games with no issue. But actual VR did get to him. He was shocked it did. I think it has a lot to do with it is not like looking at a screen - it is like you are there - but at the same time - every tiny movement of your head makes things spin really easy - it is magnified compared to real life or looking at a screen. Your eyes just can't move as fast as the tiniest movement you make that makes VR picture move.

Unlike your brother though - I could have never taken any of that - so I should have used better common sense and not tried it. LOL

I am sure there will be plenty of people who won't have issues with it - other wise there would be no point in these things being made. I will envy all of them from afar. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    peach1redpeach1red Posts: 245 Member
    Real life make my seizures happen, so VR doesn't exactly do me any favors. My brother did let me run around Whiterun on Skyrim VR a bit though. He was in the room the whole time, and despite what my mother said it didn't really bother me. The moments after the headgear came off it was bit different, but while I was in, I was in. Then again, I wasn't allowed to leave the town. Pretty weird considering I can't even play Minecraft. But in the long run Sims in VR would probably be pretty bad for me, huh?
    My favourite colour is #E4717A, just like any other ordinary human girl.

My Simming site: https://peachrenardssims.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Real life make my seizures happen, so VR doesn't exactly do me any favors. My brother did let me run around Whiterun on Skyrim VR a bit though. He was in the room the whole time, and despite what my mother said it didn't really bother me. The moments after the headgear came off it was bit different, but while I was in, I was in. Then again, I wasn't allowed to leave the town. Pretty weird considering I can't even play Minecraft. But in the long run Sims in VR would probably be pretty bad for me, huh?

Yeah. They were not allowing any one with seizures to even try the headsets - so I would assume it could be bad.

Also it may depend on the system -

We tried the Oculus Rift and Touch VR system

and the HTC Vive Pro VR System.

My son seemed to like the Oculus Rift one the best but that may have been because that one was around 500 dollars and the HTC was 1100. LOL. Neither was one I could use.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    aws200 wrote: »
    Last year the 'big news' was Fitness Stuff. :'(

No it was Toddlers.
    That was a half year earlier. A year ago it was the announcement of the Toddler Stuff Pack ;)
  • Options

I am not a Minecraft fan - it looks like distorted legos on my pc screen. I can't handle distortion of any kind even without VR. But for some reason I can't fathom a lot of people seem to like that game.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Maybe that Sims Mobile is taking over and that Sims 4 is done for? It seems everyone wants to get in on the mobile gaming bandwagon for some reason.
    The market for mobile games have been growing in recent years and is now bigger than tha markets for PC games and console games put together. See http://nordic.businessinsider.com/mobile-games-more-money-than-console-pc-chart-2017-6?r=US&IR=T

The reason is the huge growth in the number of smartphones and the market for such games is especially huge in the very populous countries in Asia. So the game companies just has to make more of such games.

The markets for PC games and console games haven’t become smaller though. So even though the game companies have to make more mobile games they also have to make just as many games for PCs and consoles as they did earlier. They just have to expand because the total market for games has been growing a lot too.

So don’t fear the mobile market. It won’t be that market that finally will kill the big Sims games for the PCs! :)

The markets for console games and PC games are still growing as you can see on https://www.pcgamesn.com/pc-game-sales-numbers-market-share-2017 The growth was about 4% last year. Only the market for browser games goes down.

But I haven’t seen the same in Asia as I have with mobile games where I play a game from another company. In that game I have about 500 friends and the game proposes 5 new friends to me every hour. Almost half of those friends write their names with Cyrillic, Japanese, Korean or Chinese letters. It difficult to compare for PC games in the same way. But I have read that those countries mainly play mobile games. The problem is that they often play other games instead of a game like the Sims 4 and we don’t know yet how much this will change.
  • Options

I am not a Minecraft fan - it looks like distorted legos on my pc screen. I can't handle distortion of any kind even without VR. But for some reason I can't fathom a lot of people seem to like that game.

Much like how The Sims pretty much is a Dollhouse, Style Savvy is a fashion doll, and a lot of games are like playing with action figures and other doll, Minecraft is like Legos. (Though Legos now has a very minecraft-ish game. It looks a lot nicer as well.)

• Options

Much like how The Sims pretty much is a Dollhouse, Style Savvy is a fashion doll, and a lot of games are like playing with action figures and other doll, Minecraft is like Legos. (Though Legos now has a very minecraft-ish game. It looks a lot nicer as well.)

Well legoes themselves are actually a marvel - my kids grew up with those things. At the time I did not always see them as marvel - when I would step on one in the dark - checking on a child - lol - but I was always amazed at the things kids could make with them - but I don't want lego cities on my pc. Dolls I like. Never had a doll bite my bare toe in the dark like a lego can. LOL.

Actually Sims were my dream come true as my fav books years ago were about little people that lived under the baseboards of a house. They called them The Borrowers. So when I saw this game was being made I right away volunteered to test it for Will Wright back in 1999. It has been my Borrowers ever since.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

Even EA CEO Andrew Wilson stated that in an interview I just saw yesterday - that he sees a Billion people around the world being connected to EAs games on all devices they own from pc, to mobile, to console, to VR as that is where they are heading and aiming. He want people to be able to play ALL their favorite games on any and all devices, any time and any place in the world.
    VR hmm? That could be interesting but I wonder if we could switch between sims that way that are in the same household.

Still the PC needs to get the most attention.

Oh I won't be doing VR - I tested a couple of VR sets and both made me very ill with in minutes. One of my sons who is a programmer and avid hardcore gamer experienced the same motion issue just not as quickly as I do - but we were told if you suffer any kind of vertigo, serious headaches or motion sickness in any form - you will most likely not be able to tolerate VR - and boy were they right. For me it was almost instantly in both sets I tried. My son lasted about 15-20 minutes. So nope - not going for VR. I stayed ill rest of the after noon after trying them.

To be fair I do have vertigo in some games and in cars, and get Migraines with aura - so I probably should have never volunteered to try it. LOL. But I couldn't resist - lol.

My older brother can go for hours. There was even someone game where he piloted a jet or something, he did barrel rolls while looking all around and didn't even get the slightest bit queasy. That shouldn't be possible.

That surprised me with my son as he has no problem with flying, sky diving, bungie jumping, loves carnival rides, you name and he's done it. He plays first person shooters all the time and many of those simulation and car racing games with no issue. But actual VR did get to him. He was shocked it did. I think it has a lot to do with it is not like looking at a screen - it is like you are there - but at the same time - every tiny movement of your head makes things spin really easy - it is magnified compared to real life or looking at a screen. Your eyes just can't move as fast as the tiniest movement you make that makes VR picture move.

Unlike your brother though - I could have never taken any of that - so I should have used better common sense and not tried it. LOL

I am sure there will be plenty of people who won't have issues with it - other wise there would be no point in these things being made. I will envy all of them from afar. LOL.

Yes VR can be brutal. I myself am also not too interested in it. We got a couple of VR headsets around the property here and although I love horror films, this one night we were playing a horror game in VR and I had to stop. Somehow being in a mental institution, losing touch with reality around you and hearing people's voices (those of my friends but it coulda fooled me lol it was weird) really freaked me out. When a spider came into the mix, I was out. VR just really isn't my thing. I like reality and I like being in it. Although there are also many personal reasons for this :)

Back on topic, I think it will be education, witches, romance or seasons. Especially with the patch updating so many child and romance related things, I think education and romance may really be next. But I'd like seasons or witches a lot more myself :) we'll see when we get there.
  • Options
    Oh I would love to get witches done as well as the Vamps - Witches and Wizards are my fav of all the Supernaturals.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,322 Member
    edited April 2018
    There is no "big news" just "some great stuff", a "new Sims 4 experience" :p

I'm sure it's not an EP because it can't happen. Our expectations are always higher than the reality.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,091 Member
    There is no "big news" just "some great stuff", a "new Sims 4 experience" :p

I'm sure it's not an EP because it can't happen. Our expectations are always higher than the reality.
    Exactly where is the world are people getting "big news" we are just expecting great stuff which could mean anything at all I'm sure the Star Wars costumes or the talking toilet was great stuff to them. At this point after the last few months I expect nothing more than another rehash of base game content with more décor and ugly clothing.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

Well legoes themselves are actually a marvel - my kids grew up with those things. At the time I did not always see them as marvel - when I would step on one in the dark - checking on a child - lol - but I was always amazed at the things kids could make with them - but I don't want lego cities on my pc. Dolls I like. Never had a doll bite my bare toe in the dark like a lego can. LOL.

Actually Sims were my dream come true as my fav books years ago were about little people that lived under the baseboards of a house. They called them The Borrowers. So when I saw this game was being made I right away volunteered to test it for Will Wright back in 1999. It has been my Borrowers ever since.

I love the Borrowers too. I liked how they made furniture out of our stuff like buttons or pencils or match boxes. Huge Lego freak, too.

Instead of Sims VR, I'd rather have a Sims First Person game. You create a sim to play and, after clicking an option, become that sim and see the game through their eyes. You walk along the sidewalk, stop to greet friends, buy a snack at the food cart, etc. And when you look into a mirror, you see the sim you created looking back. To enter build/buy mode or choose a different sim to be, you click an option in a pie menu.
  • Options

Legos are so awesome to me. When I was younger Bubby (Cutesy term for saying older brother) and I would play with them together. Along with Barbie dolls, Polly dolls, Betty Spaghetti, Whatser Face(Seriously the dolls name), Naturo figurines, Monster High, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Scale doesn't mater when it's fun.

A thought purely for the post:

Would it not be neat if it was Create-a-World? It is unlikely, but would still be neat, yes?

• Options
    edited April 2018

Legos are so awesome to me. When I was younger Bubby (Cutesy term for saying older brother) and I would play with them together. Along with Barbie dolls, Polly dolls, Betty Spaghetti, Whatser Face(Seriously the dolls name), Naturo figurines, Monster High, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Scale doesn't mater when it's fun.

Would it not be neat if it was Create-a-World? It is unlikely, but would still be neat, yes?

Yes - but sadly that can't happen in this game, what with them making these free hand style worlds and no specific tools to copy so we can use them. MY creator friends are so sad - as that is how they sim - and it is not fair. They are so creative and always made the best worlds - and now they can't. Some just went back to Sims 3 and back to making amazing worlds. My friend Rflong has a great world she's been working on for months now.

But it is a big error for Sims 4 to wipe out all the world creators in this game - so they will probably never all come back thanks to that blooper. Hope Maxis remember them at least in the next Sims series. We need those people as they definitely make the Sims games way more interesting when we can add so many amazing worlds devs never give us.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Haids5987Haids5987 Posts: 8,465 Member
    Interesting thread, crew! I read pretty much all of it and I am very intrigued at what everyone else thinks. You guys have brought up points I never even considered!

My opinion, though? It's Seasons. There is no doubt in my mind. Based on the devs addressing small issues people have been complaining about ("insane" to "erratic," the female Sims always holding the toddlers in portraits, for example), it's clear to me that they are listening to us, at least somewhat.

Seasons is something that the community has been screaming for for years. And I feel like they are dropping hints, like the season-themed patterns in create a pet, for example. It would be silly of them not to give us seasons at this point because we are all strung so tight about it!

One thing I am hoping for, though, is for the announcement to be a total surprise, like Toddlers were. They just fell from the sky and were ready to play one day! Or at least announce it within the week of its release. I can't remember what EP they did that for in the past (was it a TS3 pack?) but I remember them announcing it with only like 1 or 2 weeks before it was released. :) The People were very happy!
    signature2.png?ssl=1&w=450
    **Also known as EmeraldCityTaurus***
  • Options
    Haids5987 wrote: »
    Interesting thread, crew! I read pretty much all of it and I am very intrigued at what everyone else thinks. You guys have brought up points I never even considered!

My opinion, though? It's Seasons. There is no doubt in my mind. Based on the devs addressing small issues people have been complaining about ("insane" to "erratic," the female Sims always holding the toddlers in portraits, for example), it's clear to me that they are listening to us, at least somewhat.

Seasons is something that the community has been screaming for for years. And I feel like they are dropping hints, like the season-themed patterns in create a pet, for example. It would be silly of them not to give us seasons at this point because we are all strung so tight about it!

One thing I am hoping for, though, is for the announcement to be a total surprise, like Toddlers were. They just fell from the sky and were ready to play one day! Or at least announce it within the week of its release. I can't remember what EP they did that for in the past (was it a TS3 pack?) but I remember them announcing it with only like 1 or 2 weeks before it was released. :) The People were very happy!

That might have been ITF as I recall everyone saying IP was the final ep - but everyone loved that ep even with it's bad routing - the water activities were amazing.... then we heard Sims 4 was going to be delayed that it was not coming out when they thought as it wasn't ready. So it seemed just when we thought we'd be sitting there with no more packs - first the store started dropping some really awesome packs/lot and in the midst of all that the team at Salt Lake City produced ITF as their last hurrah (I like that ep a ton too) - and I think it dropped less then a month after it was announced.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

Yes - but sadly that can't happen in this game, what with them making these free hand style worlds and no specific tools to copy so we can use them. MY creator friends are so sad - as that is how they sim - and it is not fair. They are so creative and always made the best worlds - and now they can't. Some just went back to Sims 3 and back to making amazing worlds. My friend Rflong has a great world she's been working on for months now.

But it is a big error for Sims 4 to wipe out all the world creators in this game - so they will probably never all come back thanks to that blooper. Hope Maxis remember them at least in the next Sims series. We need those people as they definitely make the Sims games way more interesting when we can add so many amazing worlds devs never give us.

There have been discussions on how they could make it work in the Sims 4...

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    That they have shelved Sims 5 and will begin working on Sims 6 instead.
    Bit like Windows 9 :D

Actually there's a good reason why tech companies skip 9 in product development; I've heard that the word or symbol for 9 in Asian languages (Japanese, Chinese etc.) is very close to the word/symbol for bad luck so that's why both Apple and Microsoft jumped from 8 to 10 in software releases, why there's an iPhone 8 and an iPhone X (10), etc. -- it just doesn't translate well for overseas customers. (Another famous case in marketing studies was when Chevy sold the Nova to the South American market; "Nova" literally translates to "no go" in Spanish.) :D
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I can go for anything along the lines of Seasons, University or Supernatural. Particularly University. I want my teens to go to college!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    12JEREMIA wrote: »
    What about Singer game pack?

That would be awesome, but singing is a thing the city based EP, isn't it? Wouldn't making a DLC for a singer career be hard with the skill on another DLC?

They took the photography skill and patched into the game for everyone, just left the photo studio as GTW only. They could take the singing skill and patch it into the base game but leave the karaoke bars as CL only -- maybe add ways for Sims to build skill (Sims in CL can currently sing in the shower and I think you can sing into the microphone object (I'll have to check that in game). Add a few more options for building Singing skill (Sing with Radio might have some interesting results :D ) and they'd be good to go. I could see them doing that if they wanted to do something similar to Showtime but without the plum Simport system.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    JRBearJRBear Posts: 190 Member
    New Sims 4 experience - Now in VR?
  • Options
    Evenstar606Evenstar606 Posts: 1,618 Member
    I hope the “big news” wasn’t that Sims Mobile portrait thing. I doubt it was but you never know with EA. At least the time until EA Play is getting closer...
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    The big news, well I saw some disappointing news via twitter about something to do with EA. Wouldn't want to be banned for saying what it entails though.
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,331 Member
    8VKqJC9.png

Lol I told y'all it's some Sims mobile thing maybe VR soon
    At this point I just lost it, I'm over this game now I'll be playing skyrim SE and maybe TS3 if I can tolerate the lag..