Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An Important Update on the Future of These Forums

Comments

• Options
    DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    Especially when moving from Sims 2 to Sims 3, but also a while ago with the Sims 3 memories in case they get shut down ... I painstakingly saved everything to disk, and later onto an external hard-drive/giant USB. Its always intended to re-post somewhere, I have a site, but there's so much, and it's like moving house, you throw out stuff - re-assess it. With years of Sims, that takes a while and life happens, different tastes and priorities.
    Interesting thing with Sims 2 is saving the pages, not just the content, made it possible to open the cache'd pages/whatever. It may have only been on the same computer, is that how that works?

People who don't have a way to save their stuff and won't make the cut/transfer, and/or have a hard time processing and dealing with this, after investing so much time and effort and are feeling emotional and stressed ... are there recommended sites, counseling, strategies?

Good idea to check-in on all your simming friends and ask "Are you OK?"

I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    @EA_Cade I only care about my save file thread. Will that be moved over? I started it around 2019 but it's still active around pack releases.

I have personally moved it to the Nominated Threads section right now.

Thank you! 🙂
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I am another one that will miss the badges actually. I also have the Ancient one and while I am not actually ancient, I have been kind of proud of that one. It would be nice to have some sort of conversion of that even if in a new format.

Beyond that, I have posted on here off and on over recent years but I have enjoyed being around other Simmers and sharing common interests with people so it would be nice to be able to maintain that going forward. I am not really concerned about most old threads for the most part, I think. It feels a bit like the end of an era but I hope that enough people leap over.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited February 14
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I am very sad to see this forum closed down. I liked coming here and sharing the fun of playing the game with others.
    @EA_Cade Thanks you for all the effort. I hate the news you bring here but really appreciate how you are trying to help us through this.

I'm also really sad to see our forums go; many of us have been here since way back in 2009 when the TS3 forum first opened. It's always been really nice to have our own little corner of the internet for the Sims, where we can all share pics and stories of our games. It wont be the same any more :'(

I also think it sad that a lot of tips, tricks and older technical help threads that are still relevant to some issues will probably be lost.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited February 14
    @EA_Cade, would it be preferable for the SIms story-threads to be nominated or just re-created in the new forums. As focus would be more towards nominating the threads with game-help information etc.

I was going to jokingly nominate the Post the Alphabet (Cowplant) thread, just for giggles...but no...it can be recreated if anybody wants it. :p
    Pary wrote: »
    I also think it sad that a lot of tips, tricks and older technical help threads that are still relevant to some issues will probably be lost.

I'd say that a lot of those threads need to be archived and ported.

I've got some time on my hands (disabled), so maybe I can run through the Sims 3 Forums and find the threads that could be ported. Although some of them may probably be in the Archive forums as well.

I'd hope someone can do the same for Sims 2 which I don't play.

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    edited February 14
    Thank you for asking about the Hall! I'm not sure what to do with that one. It's finished in my head believe it or not, but it's getting a bit too dark for a family friendly forum. Maybe. Perhaps. Possibly.
    Publishing it on an external blog might be my only option. I haven't decided yet. Hey, give me another 50 years. 🫣

I am tempted to pester you into telling me how it ends. I am one of those annoying people who read the first paragraph of a book and then read the last paragraph of a book before deciding whether I want to read the whole thing. This is how I tricked myself into reading something by Clive Barker that gave me nightmares. But I digress.

Your story probably belongs on an external blog, but I already feel creeped out by it. I might not be able to handle the grown up version. :D

At any rate, I shall refrain from nominating your story, which I was considering, because it would be a shame to keep you hemmed in on a tiny forum when a blogpost would let you run free. It is an excellent story with great pictures. And those pictures need to be saved. Lots of work went into that. There's no question that it must be saved. That's my opinion anyway.

I hope it works out that I can keep my ancient badge.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 14
    Simmingal wrote: »

Maybe It's this type of funeral we need

Marvellous, what a way to go. The sound effects... 😆

Will captain carry over The Hall? I really wish so but dang those spoilers must be a chore to reformat :sweat_smile:

The only question I'm asking myself right now is: Will Captain carry over Captain?

Thank you for asking about the Hall! I'm not sure what to do with that one. It's finished in my head believe it or not, but it's getting a bit too dark for a family friendly forum. Maybe. Perhaps. Possibly.
    Publishing it on an external blog might be my only option. I haven't decided yet. Hey, give me another 50 years. 🫣
    Captain must carry Captain over
    for if not the world balance will be shaken
    and the ships will sink
    and the full moon will never rise again

We simply cannot lose our resident werebeast not in these trying times

as for the story no worries
    just reminding we would love to read more of it
    and it would be nice to have it safe someplace internally or externally maybe both?
    both-is.gif
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,657 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »

What does one do at end of forum though?
    Should we have funeral? Everyone dress in Goth? I'm only wee toddler in forum age too (soon 5 years) so I am not really qualified as host either though

Sure, if - whoever organizes this event- feels that a funeral party is the way to celebrate the good ol’ times we had on here, I won’t stop them! I’m going to attend this party dressed in black no matter what. We can either go Dance Macabre or full-on Macarena, or both. Fun times ahead!
    cyncie wrote: »

The Blue Moon can be open for just such an occaision.

Excellent choice, provided that the supernaturally challenged and non-humans amongst us get complimentary drinks, plasma and Kibbles!! 🌕

We wouldn’t have it any other way.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Will the new forum support the canadien french speakers from the province of quebec @EA_Cade ?

Yep! We will have a French section of the forums like we do on AHQ, it's not tied to geographical location though.

Will there be a Dutch forum? There used to be a Dutch sims forum but that was ended. Answer HQ however still has a Dutch section.
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    edited February 14
    This was my favorite forum. Also, all those legacy posts from way back in the day. So much is gonna be lost. Years and years of activity, discussions, etc. I really hope the new forum will be better than the current EA forums. I find the current EA forums kinda clunky and just not as smooth of an experience as compared to this forum.

Why not have both? Keep this one as a read only so that at least all the older posts can be read.
  • Options
    MsMayMsMay Posts: 440 Member
    edited February 14
    I’m really sad this old forum will be closed down. I was wondering, will we be able to maybe have an features to be able to edit name & edit images icon on the forum of your own in the future on the EA forum? I’m really want to keep my old forum name. I grew attached to this name & old image icon since when I first sign up to this old forum before the sims 3 base game released.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    These forums are showing their age, and are no longer representative of the community experience we wish to share with you. After careful consideration, we have decided to close The Sims Forums by July 2024 and replace it with a new forums site - to be called EA forums - going live this July.
    I must ask seeing as we're getting a newly updated community experience please tell me the new forum will have a dark mode? May the day of a bright white screens be nearing an end the future is now.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    These forums are showing their age, and are no longer representative of the community experience we wish to share with you. After careful consideration, we have decided to close The Sims Forums by July 2024 and replace it with a new forums site - to be called EA forums - going live this July.
    I must ask seeing as we're getting a newly updated community experience please tell me the new forum will have a dark mode? May the day of a bright white screens be nearing an end the future is now.

I hope users will be able to choose. Accessibility-wise, it's best to have both. Some people with astigmatism and other vision issues struggle with dark modes, so white screens going away would be a problem.

• Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    edited February 14
    A few questions:

1. When the threads created after Oct 2022 will be moved to the new forum, will they be in the same categories as they are here or will they be merged into a kind of 'Archives from the old forum' ?

2. And the Nominated Threads, will they remain all packed together in the new forum or will they find their way in the categories they were before here?

3. There is also a kind of 'paralel sims 4 forum' with General Discussion, Creative Corner... at AHQ
    Will this forum also be moved to the new forum or co exist? (And if: Why can't this forum here co exist too?)

4. How does one backup their threads?

f04e0e3d2574dedba699edc38d47a11562364222.pnj
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game 🛺 A Dramedy 🚶🏼🚶🏻🚶🏽🚶🏽 The Boys 🥇 Their first year - A Dramedy 🚀 Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug ☃️ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms 🛋 SciFi 👾 creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,092 Member
    Sorry it it's already been answered, will the current boards be made read only once the new forums launch?
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,350 Member
    Your forum name will be whatever you set it as on AHQ, which can be changed here. Signatures on AHQ are currently limited to EA staff and Community Connections Program members, but we're exploring options in this area for the EA forums.

@EA_Cade Currently, I have a different name on AHQ than the name I use here. I attempted to change the name on AHQ to match this one, following the link you gave, but it doesn't let me. It says the name "GlacierSnow" is already registered. But I don't think anyone else is using the name "GlacierSnow" so I suspect it's actually me. Is there any way I can find out?

Where I am trying to change it is in the "About Me" tab, Basic information, edit. That's the only place that looks like I can change it. But I'm not able to.

I'm asking this question on this thread because there are probably other people right now trying to do the same thing.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    @GlacierSnow you can edit it clicking edit button there
    also changes your gallery nick :)
    nimet-n.png
    if that does not work then yes there is some problem with chosen nick
    do you maybe have separate account with same nick?
  • Options
    MrPlumbobMrPlumbob Posts: 332 Member
    I'm a bit confused about the nominated threads section. Will everything that's been nominated be moved to the new forum? Or will it depend on whether the creator of that thread makes an account for the new forum? Scrolling through the list of nominated threads, I'm seeing several threads where the original author hasn't posted anything in years, but the threads remain very active. I'm so sad that we'll be losing these forums. I've only been here since 2022, but this place feels like home. I hope the new forums feel the same way, but I'm not so sure anything will. These forums are a piece of history.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,350 Member
    @Simmingal That's the place where I was attempting to change it. I can enter the name "GlacierSnow" there in the edit mode, but it tells me I can't use that name because it's already being used. So either someone else on AHQ is using that name (which I kind of doubt, but it's possible), or, somehow in my cluelessness, I did something weird when I set up my forum account here, and I am actually interfering with myself. :lol: I don't know how these two things are linked or not-linked. That's what I'm trying to find out.

It will feel very weird if I have to use a different name than GlacierSnow on the new forum, especially if someone else there has that name, but I'll probably survive.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    @GlacierSnow It is the same for me. I can't change to my name here because it is already in use.
  • Options
    edited February 14
    @GlacierSnow entirely possible to have made such mistake
    I have 2 EA Accounts myself because I mistakenly created new one when The Sims 4 released
    and didn't realize my old The Sims 3 account would have worked on origin :sweat_smile:

so yeah I have all my things on this account except for ts3 and ts3 store on different account which is kind of silly
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I'm not happy about what's proposed, namely that it's closing at all (ain't I special?), but also the timeline and mechanism for "sundowning" the forum. In short, it's too quick and incomplete and I'm disappointed no one making decisions can see that.

Yes, I'm aware that there would be a lingering cost to keeping a closed forum running and searchable for another year or two, but I really can't overstate how much important content will be lost with your plans. This forum has fifteen years of threads on it, since it ported over most of the old Sims3.com forum too, and this isn't just a plea to satisfy my own nostalgia. Search engines across the board have gotten clogged with SEO-optimized nonsense to the point where forums, even ancient threads, are some of the last remaining resources. And make no mistake, The Sims across all titles has a lot of depth, scarcely-used features, and esoteric bugs. The three pillars for this franchise. This forum is the only website where some of this stuff is documented.

Give fans a chance not just to nominate threads for import, but also to submit them to the Wayback Machine, scrape forum posts, or otherwise preserve them.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Is there really no way to migrate certain sections over, rather than nominating one thread at a time? :( Or even just archiving the entire forums on your end, or using Wayback? When we did the first change from the Sims 3 forums to just Sims, all the old threads moved over and I wish we could do the same here with the new move, there's just too much history and valuable posts to lose.

My laptop crashed and burned. I had to retrieve all of my Erik Cantrell updates as I could find. I'm very happy that I made a chart and listed the page numbers of the updates. Phew! Problem is, I can't go back to get a much earlier iteration of my Sims' story. It must have been from the much earlier, possibly original What "Happened in Your Game Today" thread. I know, because I made the arduous journey way, way, way back to page 111. None of my stuff was there. Ho-hum. I spent yesterday verifying that I had all of the chapters from my current iteration. I also pulled copies of my Creative Corner thread of Erik's ventures, just after my computer crashed, and I had a new one to save it to.

All of this to say, if you want something bad enough saved, block, copy and save. Yes, it takes time, and most of us are in a frenzy these days, with little time to spare. I guess it just comes down to what's really important to you. But, yeah, I have at least two threads I started and I'm wondering if I have to run a campaign to have them transferred, or if I should just relaunch after the switch-over.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    @EA_Cade, would it be preferable for the SIms story-threads to be nominated or just re-created in the new forums. As focus would be more towards nominating the threads with game-help information etc.

I was going to jokingly nominate the Post the Alphabet (Cowplant) thread, just for giggles...but no...it can be recreated if anybody wants it. :p
    Pary wrote: »

I'd say that a lot of those threads need to be archived and ported.

I've got some time on my hands (disabled), so maybe I can run through the Sims 3 Forums and find the threads that could be ported. Although some of them may probably be in the Archive forums as well.

I'd hope someone can do the same for Sims 2 which I don't play.

Heya,

If it's important to you, nominate it. We're not placing any restrictions in this area.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    Will the new forum support the canadien french speakers from the province of quebec @EA_Cade ?

Yep! We will have a French section of the forums like we do on AHQ, it's not tied to geographical location though.

Will there be a Dutch forum? There used to be a Dutch sims forum but that was ended. Answer HQ however still has a Dutch section.

Yup. On both AHQ and EA forums.

The Dutch Sims AHQ is right here and our Dutch CMs over on AHQ are all lovely people.
    MsMay wrote: »
    I’m really sad this old forum will be closed down. I was wondering, will we be able to maybe have an features to be able to edit name & edit images icon on the forum of your own in the future on the EA forum? I’m really want to keep my old forum name. I grew attached to this name & old image icon since when I first sign up to this old forum before the sims 3 base game released.

We'll have more to share on that soon. We're currently building out what the customizations will look like on the EA forums.
    haneul wrote: »

I hope users will be able to choose. Accessibility-wise, it's best to have both. Some people with astigmatism and other vision issues struggle with dark modes, so white screens going away would be a problem.

Dark mode options was my first request for the new site. Obviously no promises though :)
    Lenny_Ogg wrote: »
    A few questions:

1. When the threads created after Oct 2022 will be moved to the new forum, will they be in the same categories as they are here or will they be merged into a kind of 'Archives from the old forum' ?

2. And the Nominated Threads, will they remain all packed together in the new forum or will they find their way in the categories they were before here?

3. There is also a kind of 'paralel sims 4 forum' with General Discussion, Creative Corner... at AHQ
    Will this forum also be moved to the new forum or co exist? (And if: Why can't this forum here co exist too?)

4. How does one backup their threads?

f04e0e3d2574dedba699edc38d47a11562364222.pnj

1. We've mapped them to migrate to the same forum type on AHQ that they lived in here. We have a home for most everything created already on AHQ.

2. See above.

3. This migration is independent of the AHQ forums.

4. I've seen some users nominating their threads for migration to back them up, others are copying them to external sites like WordPress/Tumblr. Personal preference I suppose.
    Brd709 wrote: »
    Sorry it it's already been answered, will the current boards be made read only once the new forums launch?

In July 2024, The Sims Forums will be permanently closed and will no longer be accessible. Anyone trying to access The Sims Forums using the original URL will be redirected to The Sims section on the new EA forums site.
    Your forum name will be whatever you set it as on AHQ, which can be changed here. Signatures on AHQ are currently limited to EA staff and Community Connections Program members, but we're exploring options in this area for the EA forums.

@EA_Cade Currently, I have a different name on AHQ than the name I use here. I attempted to change the name on AHQ to match this one, following the link you gave, but it doesn't let me. It says the name "GlacierSnow" is already registered. But I don't think anyone else is using the name "GlacierSnow" so I suspect it's actually me. Is there any way I can find out?

Where I am trying to change it is in the "About Me" tab, Basic information, edit. That's the only place that looks like I can change it. But I'm not able to.

I'm asking this question on this thread because there are probably other people right now trying to do the same thing.
    haneul wrote: »
    @GlacierSnow It is the same for me. I can't change to my name here because it is already in use.

I can't see account details unfortunately. If you feel like you own both accounts then please reach out to us at Help.EA.com so we can assist further.
    MrPlumbob wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused about the nominated threads section. Will everything that's been nominated be moved to the new forum? Or will it depend on whether the creator of that thread makes an account for the new forum? Scrolling through the list of nominated threads, I'm seeing several threads where the original author hasn't posted anything in years, but the threads remain very active. I'm so sad that we'll be losing these forums. I've only been here since 2022, but this place feels like home. I hope the new forums feel the same way, but I'm not so sure anything will. These forums are a piece of history.

Threads will only move if the OP of the thread here has an account on AHQ as well, I would say over 90% of the threads currently nominated should migrate without issue.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png