Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An Important Update on the Future of These Forums

Comments

• Options
    kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,088 Member
    So none of my badges will be importet? So much for the 10 year badge and my ancient badge. I know it might not be much, but I would have liked the display to show I'm a long time simmer
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »

What does one do at end of forum though?
    Should we have funeral? Everyone dress in Goth? I'm only wee toddler in forum age too (soon 5 years) so I am not really qualified as host either though

Sure, if - whoever organizes this event- feels that a funeral party is the way to celebrate the good ol’ times we had on here, I won’t stop them! I’m going to attend this party dressed in black no matter what. We can either go Dance Macabre or full-on Macarena, or both. Fun times ahead!
    cyncie wrote: »

The Blue Moon can be open for just such an occaision.

Excellent choice, provided that the supernaturally challenged and non-humans amongst us get complimentary drinks, plasma and Kibbles!! 🌕
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,990 Member
    edited February 13

What does one do at end of forum though?
    Should we have funeral? Everyone dress in Goth? I'm only wee toddler in forum age too (soon 5 years) so I am not really qualified as host either though

Sure, if - whoever organizes this event- feels that a funeral party is the way to celebrate the good ol’ times we had on here, I won’t stop them! I’m going to attend this party dressed in black no matter what. We can either go Dance Macabre or full-on Macarena, or both. Fun times ahead!
    cyncie wrote: »

The Blue Moon can be open for just such an occaision.

Excellent choice, provided that the supernaturally challenged and non-humans amongst us get complimentary drinks, plasma and Kibbles!! 🌕

Maybe It's this type of funeral we need

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OFCi-ROL4bk

almost done backing up my stories but I have Vlad Returns and Henford Gossip text files left to update
    and The Book of Shallow stories directory with its random screenshots

Will captain carry over The Hall? I really wish so but dang those spoilers must be a chore to reformat :sweat_smile:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 519 Member
    kiwi84 wrote: »
    So none of my badges will be importet? So much for the 10 year badge and my ancient badge. I know it might not be much, but I would have liked the display to show I'm a long time simmer

I might be wrong, but I *think* (hope) we might get to keep the year badges at least. When I joined the forum a couple of years ago I got a whole heap of year badges all at once, and I’ve now got ancient membership too, not because I’ve been on these forums all that time but because I first registered with EA years ago when I first got Sims 3 and I’ve kept the same name and account since then. I’m guessing it’s most of the badges directly relating to our activity here (awesomes and likes etc) that we’ll lose.
  • Options

I might be wrong, but I *think* (hope) we might get to keep the year badges at least. When I joined the forum a couple of years ago I got a whole heap of year badges all at once, and I’ve now got ancient membership too, not because I’ve been on these forums all that time but because I first registered with EA years ago when I first got Sims 3 and I’ve kept the same name and account since then. I’m guessing it’s most of the badges directly relating to our activity here (awesomes and likes etc) that we’ll lose.

Yeah wishing the anniversary badges stay so I can continue to have Simmingal anniversaries
    idk what I want to do this year though since its June and then the forum changes like right after
  • Options
    kiwi84kiwi84 Posts: 1,088 Member

That would be awesome if it was :)
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,226 Member
    Ah,this is a bit sad.I hope the new forums will be awesome.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,367 Member

I agree. This bothers me too. I worked hard to get those 290 "insightfuls"! :lol: Seriously, though, it's discouraging for simmers who have been active on this forum for so long to lose those.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,355 EA Community Manager
    February11 wrote: »
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    EgonVM wrote: »
    That's really sad to see forums go down. Really enjoyed my time here.

How about The Sims 2, The Sims 1, The Sims Medieval, The Sims Franchise, and The Sims 3 sections? Where exactly could we find these?

And, what exactly is the link to the new forums?

You can find those sections here on AHQ.

The new forum will not be live for some time yet.

I'm assuming you'll be providing us with a link beforehand?

Absolutely, once we have more to share I'll be sharing it here.
    Will the new forum support the canadien french speakers from the province of quebec @EA_Cade ?

Yep! We will have a French section of the forums like we do on AHQ, it's not tied to geographical location though.
    Gordy wrote: »
    Change is literally never good. Watch it all be part of their plan to consolidate things into smaller forums, slowly downplay them and give them less and less focus until they finally cut us off and leave major social media sites (ie Twitter and Discord) as the only viable way of official communication. They want to get rid of all the loose ends that aren't as easy to maintain.

One must always fear change. Acceptance is just adaptation, not happiness. Sims 4 has been a constant exercise in conditioning us to accept less and less. We're all waiting for the Sword of Damocles to drop down on all our heads.
    TGHeeI4.jpeg

Cade can't confirm it because EA is holding his sims hostage. They won't release the anti-For Rent corruption patches until he's played his part. He's a prisoner just like all of us. He's just trying to comfort us before our inevitable forum demies.
    TGHeeI4.jpeg

It's all about the suppression of people. About keeping things easier to control. And why? Because the forums have power.

Think about it. Surely there must be change that even EA fears, right? It's certainly not disappointing fans. It's not ailing to live up to artistic integrity. They can do whatever they want as long as it's profitable, no matter who gets hurt. They don't fear, but embrace stagnation.

No. They're afraid of something that can fight stagnation, ignite the fandom and make it too big, too active and too powerful to control. Now think about it. What would invigorate the fandom in such a way? What could topple EA's control over their consumers?

Dragons. The single most desired thing by fans right now, and always. And dragon fans are most active here, in the heart of the Sims 4's fandom. Case in point: they're only moving over select stuff from October 18, 2022 to March 12, 2024 (AKA peak dragonposting time.) Watch how much dragon stuff manages to get through, and how much will disappear "despite [their] best efforts."
    TGHeeI4.jpeg

What I'm saying is, they're trying to stop dragons because they're too good. This whole move is their plot to wipe out those who threaten their reign. Don't be surprised if dragon fans just get "lost in the shuffle."

:#
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Not going to hurt me much and all I can do is see what it can do and not do. :) One exception is how I can input my own avatar and not one I will be forced to use made by EA/Maxis.
    Will our avatars carry over?

Stay tuned, more information coming on how we're planning to handle avatars/personalization of your forum presence soon!
    graventhe wrote: »
    *sigh* Will there still be Sims 3 and Sims 2 sections in the new forums?

Yup!
    Questions:

Will we be able to use the same forum names we use here? I've gotten to know people by the names they use posting on this forum, and they know me by GlacierSnow name. It will be really confusing if we can't keep using the names we already know for each other.

Will we be able to have personalized signature banners like we do here? This is the main way I find out about simlit stories that I want to read.

Your forum name will be whatever you set it as on AHQ, which can be changed here. Signatures on AHQ are currently limited to EA staff and Community Connections Program members, but we're exploring options in this area for the EA forums.

I’m confused - if a discussion began before Oct 2022 but has recent comments on it, will it be transferred over? I have a lot of posts in the Rebuilding Worlds challenge and I don’t want to lose all them but don’t know whether I need to nominate that thread or not.

No, only threads created during/after October 2022 will carry over automatically. Please nominate older threads here so I can make sure they are carried over. Please also note that if a thread OP does not have an account on AHQ, none of the content they have on these forums can be migrated.
    Can I please have some clarification on whether you are migrating all threads since October 2022 regardless of the game? I have threads for The Sims 3 that were created in the right timeframe but I’m nervous the priority is only Sims 4 threads

Standby while I confirm, but as I understood it this will be for the entire site, not just Project Rene/Sims 4 oriented sections.

Yeah wishing the anniversary badges stay so I can continue to have Simmingal anniversaries
    idk what I want to do this year though since its June and then the forum changes like right after

We are exploring options for this as we speak, we want to showcase all of you, and all of your accomplishments here.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    edited February 13
    @GlacierSnow Here have one more Insightful to your name while we have em :lol:

New question for today: Can we make polls on the new forums?

I was going through my threads to back up
    and noticed I might be addicted to making silly polls
    so it'll be sad if I can no longer make them with new forum
    + I'll be sad about the lack of Justine Keaton options if its just official polls
    Post edited by Simmingal on
  • Options
    Maven08094Maven08094 Posts: 126 Member
    Maven08094 wrote: »
    now this stinks cause I just came back from the forums from 5 years and just post a forum for all my builds to share with links and pics, when they merge is my post going to be ok? do I need to start over again? :/

Nope! Your thread will be migrated.

ah ok, thank you. look's like I gotta save my text then. :(
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited February 13
    No! :( All the friends I made on here and all the storytelling. :(
    Is the store shutting down.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,968 Member
    Please also note that if a thread OP does not have an account on AHQ, none of the content they have on these forums can be migrated.

That might disqualify some of the older nominated threads. Especially for those OPs who haven't visited the forum in ages and will be unaware of the need for an AHQ account.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,424 Member
    Silly question but the current forum providers can they not upgrade it to function better with what is needed? I rather like the current format. Anyway, here's a dragon, he's come to eat all our forum posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BNxrBcYouM
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    Please also note that if a thread OP does not have an account on AHQ, none of the content they have on these forums can be migrated.

That might disqualify some of the older nominated threads. Especially for those OPs who haven't visited the forum in ages and will be unaware of the need for an AHQ account.

I'm just really hoping that a lot of them had some reason at some point, for some EA game they've played, to make an account and used the same email address...

Planning to make a Tumblr post about it, though (after sorting out Broken/Updated. Maybe if word gets out far enough, more people who don't play anymore might make sure their stuff is migratable. Maybe.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,671 Member

If it means losing threads like What Happened in Your Game Today... I'm sorry but that would be unforgiveable.

Unforgiveable.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options
    edited February 14
    @GlacierSnow Here have one more Insightful to your name while we have em :lol:

New question for today: can we make polls on the new forums?

I was going through my threads to back up and noticed I might be addicted to making silly polls so it'll be sad if I can no longer make them with new forum

Polls are in the works, but likely won't quite be ready by the time EA forums launches.

Unfortunately so, while I can't share more detailed information with you here I can say that almost all of the threads called out so far will migrate without issues.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Silly question but the current forum providers can they not upgrade it to function better with what is needed? I rather like the current format. Anyway, here's a dragon, he's come to eat all our forum posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BNxrBcYouM

I was actually waiting for this question. The short version is this: Even if we did simply update this forum, the version we're using here is so deprecated that the resulting forum would look and function completely differently than it does now anyway.

Couple this with all of the behind the scenes benefits the new EA forums will provide us, as well as the visible front of house changes for you the users, and it just makes sense for us to pivot to a new platform now.

To pull back the curtain just a tad, my main responsibility here is to lend my voice to yours, advocate for you and provide analytical data to back that up. The analytics on our EA forums look to be much, much more robust than what is currently available to me here, this change will allow me to better "cite my sources" and push for the changes we really want to see going forward.

I'm just really hoping that a lot of them had some reason at some point, for some EA game they've played, to make an account and used the same email address...

Planning to make a Tumblr post about it, though (after sorting out Broken/Updated. Maybe if word gets out far enough, more people who don't play anymore might make sure their stuff is migratable. Maybe.

Judging by the amount of page views @luthienrising gets on her threads, someone will be waking the president to remind them to log into AHQ when that post goes out.
    Post edited by EA_Cade on
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options

If it means losing threads like What Happened in Your Game Today... I'm sorry but that would be unforgiveable.

Unforgiveable.

That thread will move without issue.
  • Options
    luciusstormluciusstorm Posts: 1,671 Member

Unforgiveable.

@EA_Cade, I've got to say... every time something has come up about this transition that causes me to stress out you are right there, and often two steps ahead, with a solution. It is greatly appreciated.

I'm going try to remind myself of that next time and panic less.
    Fate is a riddle and we choose our own answer. Wyrd Girls
  • Options

Unforgiveable.

@EA_Cade, I've got to say... every time something has come up about this transition that causes me to stress out you are right there, and often two steps ahead, with a solution. It is greatly appreciated.

I'm going try to remind myself of that next time and panic less.

I'm more than happy to help where I can.

@EA_Solaire, @EA_Cath and I knew this announcement would be received a certain type of way, and have been working on softening this blow and putting stopgaps in place with an absolutely wonderful and caring team on our side who have made this entire process as smooth as possible.

I promise you're in good hands here, they simply will not let me fail at doing what's best for our forums. :)
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,693 Member
    edited February 13
    I don't like changes like this, but on the other hand I might no longer appear like the Dinosaur that I am, with my posts number on this forum...

I like our current forum, while I never managed to navigate the AHQ. I hope the community will jump with ease, but I'm also aware that some might search other arenas to share their simming stuff.

Also, my inner voice keeps telling me that this change comes now because EAwants the change to be done before the TS5 release is announced. So - maybe this forum would eventually be taken over by a TS5 forum anyway? I'll be sorry to see most of our history go forever lost.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    edited February 13
    Is there really no way to migrate certain sections over, rather than nominating one thread at a time? :( Or even just archiving the entire forums on your end, or using Wayback? When we did the first change from the Sims 3 forums to just Sims, all the old threads moved over and I wish we could do the same here with the new move, there's just too much history and valuable posts to lose.

The reason why I asked about certain sections is because of valuable sections like Mods & CC Technical Discussions and the Tutorials and Tools for Mods & CC. The technical discussion section is where modding the Sims 4 got started, it still has valuable information and files we use, including recent TDESCs (where are those going?). Ignoring the incorrectly placed threads, there's roughly 27 and 20 pages to dig through, nominate (which may not be chosen), and then hopefully by luck the creator has an AHQ account with the same email.

Then there are the Sims 3 Builders & World Builders sections as another example, where we have tutorials and important technical discussions about those topics also to be lost unless they meet the requirements above.

And will we have a new modding section on AHQ?
  • Options
    GothangelGothangel Posts: 128 Member
    can you remove my old cringe post from 2011
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,435 Member
    edited February 13
    I like how this thread is becoming a who's who roll call of the Sims Forums.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    And will we have a new modding section on AHQ?

Yup. It's already here and @luthienrising is all over it.