Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An Important Update on the Future of These Forums

Comments

• Options
    MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,379 Member
    There is no doubt that this news feels really stressful. Not least because of the short time horizon to nominate threads you want transferred.
    Personally, I am in a state of flashback to 2018 when the Danish Sims4 Forum was suddenly closed. This meant that all my stories and valuable threads of advice and guidelines disappeared at short notice. This is the direct reason why I have chosen to pay for a website, so as not to once again lose texts and images that you have spent hours on. I therefore need not fear for my personal creations.

I really try to keep a positive spirit because change can bring new opportunities. But there are threads on this Forum that I am very sorry to lose because I regularly return to them or refer to them because they are so full of wisdom, inspiration and good advice. Most were created long before October 2022.
    I saw that a Creative Corner Community thread has been created on AnswersHQ. I'm just sad about the whole layout of AHQ that seems boring and really uninspiring. I understand it is set up for a short transition.
    I really hope it will be possible to personalize your profile in the new Forum. Most SimLit writers and builders are guided by a creative spirit and almost everyone puts a lot of effort and heart into creating a personal banner. It is often these personal creations that make me curious to go exploring.
  • Options
    MeaganJoMeaganJo Posts: 4,343 Member
    Seamless? That's a good one. Has anything been seamless? It will be sad to see it go, I enjoyed lurking every so often. I would like to know if we get to keep our original names as I have had my name since Sims 2 and well my birth and don't want to lose it. I was lucky enough to get it this last time and no other name will do. I wish you luck in the change over. I'm going to go reminisce my old gallery thread before it's gone
  • Options
    February11February11 Posts: 12,660 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    EgonVM wrote: »
    That's really sad to see forums go down. Really enjoyed my time here.

How about The Sims 2, The Sims 1, The Sims Medieval, The Sims Franchise, and The Sims 3 sections? Where exactly could we find these?

And, what exactly is the link to the new forums?

You can find those sections here on AHQ.

The new forum will not be live for some time yet.

I'm assuming you'll be providing us with a link beforehand?
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    Aww this forums was a big chunk of my Internet life over the last 7-8 years. Sad to see it going, but I understand the decision.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    Time to start copying my content. Just in case. 🙂

I'm right there with you. Happily, for me, when my laptop died and I lost all of my Erik Cantrell stories. All of them. I started copying and pasting them from the forum. Most recently, I have also been printing them out for another way to save them. I have to finish, albeit much more quickly, vetting the updates I've already copied and pasted to be certain; nothing has been left behind. Wow, I surely didn't see this one coming. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    Will the new forum support the canadien french speakers from the province of quebec @EA_Cade ?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member

We think you'll really like the layout and design of the new EA forums, and I look forward to sharing more of it soon.

I hope so, I liked the design of these forums, which is one reason why I kept using it for so long. Answer hq can be difficult to navigate, I have only used it for reading and posting about bugs so I hope the new EA forums will be more appealing to use.
  • Options
    MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    Is there really no way to migrate certain sections over, rather than nominating one thread at a time? :( Or even just archiving the entire forums on your end, or using Wayback? When we did the first change from the Sims 3 forums to just Sims, all the old threads moved over and I wish we could do the same here with the new move, there's just too much history and valuable posts to lose.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited February 13
    Not going to hurt me much and all I can do is see what it can do and not do. :) One exception is how I can input my own avatar and not one I will be forced to use made by EA/Maxis.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    MeaganJo wrote: »
    Seamless? That's a good one. Has anything been seamless? It will be sad to see it go, I enjoyed lurking every so often. I would like to know if we get to keep our original names as I have had my name since Sims 2 and well my birth and don't want to lose it. I was lucky enough to get it this last time and no other name will do. I wish you luck in the change over. I'm going to go reminisce my old gallery thread before it's gone

I agree as I had my name for years and it will not be too bad if I was allowed to create the same name if it can't migrate.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited February 13
    *Stops devouring stress snacky snacks*
    *Gives @Gordy remainder of snacky snacks*
    yes I am in fact watching Despicable Me and pretending none of this is happening yes I will try to backup my stuff tomorrow
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    The forums have changed over the years and there hasn't been any casualties so I am pretty sure we will all survive another jump. Thanks for all the explanations @EA_Cade I'm sure it will all be fine. Plus I will be happy not to have to rely on imjur etc to post my pictures. I've navigated ea forums with ease so I am sure this one will be just as seamless.

I guess I will see you all on the other side when the time comes. ;)

"Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    Is there really no way to migrate certain sections over, rather than nominating one thread at a time? :( Or even just archiving the entire forums on your end, or using Wayback? When we did the first change from the Sims 3 forums to just Sims, all the old threads moved over and I wish we could do the same here with the new move, there's just too much history and valuable posts to lose.

I agree with this. This is what is causing the most frustration among players, I think. Losing access to old stories, helpful information from old threads, and just a general history of how we have interacted over time.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    *sigh* Will there still be Sims 3 and Sims 2 sections in the new forums?
  • Options
    ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    I've been on this forum for 12 years, but I mostly lurk. I don't know what to expect and I'm having a lot of anxiety with this.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    @Gordy It is literally the year of the dragon after all....

• Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 717 Member

Hey, this is a scary premise and I'm going to do everything I can to make it less scary.

We are not flinching in the face of this change, we are embracing it.

The whole world is changing, and changing rapidly, and mostly not the way that most of us want it to change. Most of the changes with the Sims that we do not like are rooted in much larger changes in the world that EA has no control over. EA is more of a co-victim with us than the source of our discontent.

I do not blame EA, but I am scared, and I am flinching almost every day, and I am not embracing this new world. I am surviving and I am adapting the best I can. Occasionally, I enjoy a new development, but for each new thing that I enjoy, I can name 10 things that I have lost.

I can only imagine the things that EA knows are coming in the future and they are not allowed to tell us. Things that they are planning for, knowing that we won't like them, but trying to shield us from the full force of those changes as much as they can.

I am so busy with my cybersecurity classes that I do not have time to play the Sims right now. I miss it. By the time I can really play again, it will be May and the move will be over mostly. I thought my Sims playing days were over when Microsoft killed my PC with their forced AI updates and I decided not to use Windows anymore. Finding out that I could play on Playstation with a mouse and keyboard was a happy and unexpected surprise! I am just so thankful that I still have anything at all. Good luck everyone with whatever you are trying to save!

• Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    Questions:

Will we be able to use the same forum names we use here? I've gotten to know people by the names they use posting on this forum, and they know me by GlacierSnow name. It will be really confusing if we can't keep using the names we already know for each other.

Will we be able to have personalized signature banners like we do here? This is the main way I find out about simlit stories that I want to read.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Will our avatars carry over?
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions

Hey, this is a scary premise and I'm going to do everything I can to make it less scary.

We are not flinching in the face of this change, we are embracing it.

Very shocking news😱😱😱😱
    But this is comforting 🥰
    And based on your explanations in this thread I do understand why the change is being made.
    Though change is aways scary and hard😅😅
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    passionfruitpassionfruit Posts: 180 Member
    I just joined recntly, but change can be good!
  • Options
    MayaRose1138MayaRose1138 Posts: 1,791 Member
    I’m confused - if a discussion began before Oct 2022 but has recent comments on it, will it be transferred over? I have a lot of posts in the Rebuilding Worlds challenge and I don’t want to lose all them but don’t know whether I need to nominate that thread or not.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited February 13
    I am very sad to see this forum closed down. I liked coming here and sharing the fun of playing the game with others. I just checked. I have been here for 6 years. It is the only online platform where I am active. I have no interest in twitter, I find discords unpersonal and have never been able to get in touch with someone. I will miss this forum. Starting over on a forum that resembles answers HQ will be tough.
    The new name EA forums suggests sims will only be a small part on a bigger forum, an afterthought on a forum created for other games. It sad that there will no longer be a forum exclusively for sims. I will try to migrate over but I am not good with changes. I hope enough simmers will move over to still be able to enjoy the game together.

Also using bb code for over 20 years (not just sims forums) will make it hard to use the rich text. When it was briefly used (perhaps tested?) on this forum I couldn't post screenshots properly. At least now it makes sense that this forum no longer shows up on google. I suppose this has been in the works behind the scenes for a while.

I just checked and have used the same e-mail on both but I can't use my own picture as an avatar on answer HQ. I can only pick one from a drop down list. I hope this can be changed if that new forum is supposed to become a proper forum.

@EA_Cade Thanks you for all the effort. I hate the news you bring here but really appreciate how you are trying to help us through this.
  • Options
    lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,877 Member
    Can I please have some clarification on whether you are migrating all threads since October 2022 regardless of the game? I have threads for The Sims 3 that were created in the right timeframe but I’m nervous the priority is only Sims 4 threads
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg