Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Maven08094's Sears, Roebuck.Co Home Kit replicas

Maven08094Maven08094 Posts: 126 Member
edited February 6 in The Sims 4 Lots
hi all, since I've been re-creating replicas of Sears home kits for over 5 years now and I wanted to make a new topic to share them. ;) I make them as accurate as I can with the floorplans and Illustrations from catalogue and yes I use lots of packs to have the exteriors and interiors accurate. I don't use CC and mods for them so it can be downloaded and sharable for everyone. :)

_1930a_cover.jpg

History of Sears kit homes From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

"Sears Modern Homes were houses sold primarily through mail order catalog by Sears, Roebuck and Co., an American retailer.

From 1908 to 1942, Sears sold more than 70,000 of these houses in North America, by the company's count. Sears Modern Homes were purchased primarily by customers in East Coast and Midwest states, but have been located as far south as Florida, as far west as California, and as far north as Alaska and Canada.[2] No complete record of their locations was left by Sears when they closed the Modern Homes program, but modern-day researchers are compiling a database of those that have been found so far, and the list continues to grow.

Sears Modern Homes offered more than 370 designs in a wide range of architectural styles and sizes over the line's 34-year history. Most included the latest comforts and conveniences available to house buyers in the early part of the twentieth century, such as central heating, indoor plumbing, telephone, and electricity.

Primarily shipped via railroad boxcars, these kits included most of the materials needed to build a house. Once delivered, many of these houses were assembled by the new homeowner, relatives, friends and neighbors, in a fashion similar to the traditional barn-raisings of farming families. Other homeowners relied on local carpenters or contractors to assemble the houses. In some cases, Sears provided construction services to assemble the homes. Some builders and companies purchased houses directly from Sears to build as model homes, speculative homes, or homes for customers or employees. Although most shipments came by rail, newspaper advertisements in the late 1920s and early 1930s showed Sears offering truck delivery to buyers living within a 35 mile radius of their Newark, New Jersey plant, or their Norwood, Ohio Sash & Door company.

Sears discontinued its Modern Homes catalog after 1940, though sales through local sales offices continued into 1942. Years later, the sales records related to home sales were destroyed during a corporate house cleaning. As only a small percentage of these homes were documented when built, finding these houses today often requires detailed research to properly identify them. Because the various kit home companies often copied plan elements or designs from each other, there are a number of catalog and kit models from different manufacturers that look similar or identical to models offered by Sears. Determining which company manufactured a particular catalog and kit home may require additional research to determine the origin of that home."

if you want to request a replica of a Sears home kit (vintage floor plans only), feel free to inbox me. ;)

I hope you will enjoy them! :)

my ID is Maven08094 in gallery
Post edited by Maven08094 on

Comments