Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Machine is Win 10 and runs on an i7, so set there. Not sure about the rest of it. Looks like have some checking to do.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    windweaver wrote: »
    cleo224 wrote: »
    This game looks to be just what I wanted TS4 to be... so I am so glad that I stumbled upon this !! I will be watching to see how this turns out. I want to play the game the way I WANT TO, but I always end up doing the things TS4 wants me to do. I love the customization abilities for the world, objects and this looks like my cup of tea!

I really love the customization of the world. It's like Sims 3 but better.

What I'm hoping for, however, are dynamic animations between characters that make them feel alive. I want the best from Sims 2
    • meaningful idle animations
    • status animations representing low needs or a state of distress
    • automatic animations of Sims recognizing and acknowledging each others' presence
    • animations that SHOW emotion. SHOW emotion, don't TELL emotion (specifically criticizing TS4 emotion system)

Yeah! You nailed it! That's exactly why I continue to play TS2. That behavior is the best. It's seems to me Maxis has never been able to recreate a Sim and their ability to make them feel like living creatures since that game. I'm hoping PBY will bring that back to life. At least, that's my hope and dream.

Yes. We know from developer comments that Sims 2 was built on the original Will Wright Sims 1 engine. For Sims 3 and 4, the engine was scrapped and built up from scratch. I think that's a relevant fact.

I thought 2 was a new engine, and 3 was built off it as well? That's what I recall, anyway. 4 obviously is another engine, retrofitted for single player. 5 is supposedly going to be on Unreal Engine, which could be fraking awesome - depending on EAxis, anyway.

I'm mainly hyped for LBY because it puts the control of the game back in my hands - I can play my way, and with the developer tools, change what I don't like. And they are really focused on creating a solid foundation where the player comes first - not whatever their newest brainchild is. Which is smart, because players are their customers - and happy players = more $$$.
  • Options
    Am likewise thinking that TS2 is a new engine than 1. The game itself is evidence as it looks much better and is capable of doing more than the first one could. It is true 3D, not 4 angle isometric. The sims themselves are much improved, the means of making them much different. It's as much of a revolution in gaming as the original one was. It is, though, faithful to Will Wright's vision.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited April 2023

@Oldeseadogge @WildIrishBanshee

What Jake (and I) are referring to is the core gameplay engine (AI systems, need management, social systems, etc.) Of course, Sims 2 had a brand new 3D graphics system.

Think it’s important to remember that starting from scratch with a new code base can cause both advancements and regressions in terms of how the game “feels” to play compared to the previous versions.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    But does 'on top of' mean the same engine? I have both games, have played both extensively, and the difference is like night and day. It is quite possible for different engines to be able to use the same code/computer language, according to computer science courses I took way back in undergraduate days in another century. This requires research, not relying on memories.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Went hunting. According to The Sims Wiki (copy pasted): The Sims series utilizes a new, in-house game engine for each base game, with expansion packs and stuff packs being built on the same engine for that specific game. For example, The Sims 2 introduced a 3D engine with visual and technical advances over its predecessor, while its sequel, The Sims 3, brought in a newer version of the engine that incorporated further visual enhancements with a fully fledged texture streaming solution to accommodate the open world.

The full article is lengthy and makes for interesting reading.

For me, the visual clincher is that TS2 is fully 3D, while TS1 is not. His comment suggests two things. That both engines use the same computer language, so the coding would be similar if not identical for the same functions. That the new engine might have been developed from the earlier one, expanded and improved to handle the increased complexity and demands of the new game. Common foundation but still a different engine.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,236 Member
    edited April 2023
    @Oldeseadogge @WildIrishBanshee

Not a surprise because when you change the programming language, the whole source code must be rewritten

The Sims (2000), The Sims Online and The Sims 2 used C++/SimAntics (PC)
    The Sims 3 used Microsoft C# (PC/Mac)
    The Sims 4 uses Python (PC/Mac/Console)

The Sims Project Rene based on Unreal Engine 5 could keep using Python or like Fortnite could use Epic Verse. (PC/Mac/Console/Mobile)
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Both Rene and LBY are using UE5, which I think is a great thing!
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,194 Member

I think part of the limitations of the sims.Is because of the software that was use.By using unreal engine it does give me hope renew.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited April 2023

I thought LBY was using Unity?

EDIT: Found the job posting and it does say Unity
    https://career.paradoxplaza.com/jobs/1831797-experienced-3d-tech-artist-unity
    Post edited by Chicklet453681 on
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,884 Member
    edited April 2023
    LBY will not have any character voices. Just SFX. Sound effects.

Could not post link. NSFW.
  • Options
    edited April 2023

So like Animal Crossing sounds. I'm okay with that.

I'm fine with Rene not having this conversation feature. Instead, I want a return to the interests-based conversation being shown in chat bubble icons. I want different sims to not get along. I always felt that Sims 4 it's such a sandbox that you can be best friends and marry any single Sim. There is no conflict or tension, which made the game of little interest to me.

There's a lot of potential to further expand the interest system. I really like how every sim was born with random interests...it meant as a wants-based player, I could use the interests as a way to guide their career path, skills, and other life choices.

12xczpmamqrd.png
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I feel like Paradox is a shady company so I don't have any faith in them to make a sims like game. They really don't care about their customers they don't make an effort to communicate with their customers. Regardless I still love their games but Life By You I really don't have the faith they will follow through and make a game everyone would want to play. They could also just abandon it like some other games their company publishes. Like Empire Of Sin for example.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    3PupDLS3PupDLS Posts: 882 Member
    A new short video on using direct control

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fTs_kb6isQY&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,860 Member
    edited April 2023

I'm still interested in LBY but my initial excitement is dying down. It's like little bits of that excitement are being slowly chipped away. First the revelation about Rod Humble's dislike for occults and supernatural gameplay. The questions about how much of the goofy charm of The Sims is going to be included, and now learning that the characters won't have voices. I need to replace this computer because of a poor choice when I spec'd it regardless of what LBY needs, but those huge minimum specs could have been a factor otherwise.

There hasn't been anything yet that has been a total turn off or a hard no, but I'm glad as a Mac gamer I wasn't granted early access. I would be feeling a lot more apprehensive if I had actually put money down on it. It may still be the best life sim yet, so it will be interesting to see what they have to share in the coming months.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2023
    It's clear to me Rod Humble is building a 'Sims RPG'. Ok, I never liked that sort of basic play in The Sims series. However, after 20 odd years I'm ready for a new gaming experience. I bought into the hoopla of TS4 and became disappointed not long after. But I did give it a 3 years' chance before I threw in the towel for good. I gave TS3 a few years off and on back and forth before I decided the best game ever was TS2. But after 20 odd years of playing TS2, I'm ready to let another company wow me. It won't be the first time I wasted money on a game, nor wasn't impressed as I thought I would be. I'm going in with my eyes wide open. This game by Humble will have a lot of RPG-ness (if that's a word) in it. But I have played them before but prefer life simulators like The Sims. I'm not disappointed at anything I see so far, Including the conversation maker thingy. Or no real voice overs. I'm expecting it to be similar but very different. And that's ok. I wasn't expecting that to be the story with TS4 since they said it was the smartest Sims, the most emotional, the most controlled options by players ever type of game....well it wasn't. None of that was true. So, I'm not apprehensive at all about preordering this game. I know what we are getting and it's not the same ole tagline...smartest Sims ever, You Rule, best game ever tagline.
    I'll play early access and go from there. After 20+ I feel Maxis has ran out of ideas and can't offer anything but clutter from the Art Dept. (And unfortunately, I feel what they do 'remake' they don't do as well as twenty years ago.)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It's clear to me Rod Humble is building a 'Sims RPG'. Ok, I never liked that sort of basic play in The Sims series. However, after 20 odd years I'm ready for a new gaming experience. I bought into the hoopla of TS4 and became disappointed not long after. But I did give it a 3 years' chance before I threw in the towel for good. I gave TS3 a few years off and on back and forth before I decided the best game ever was TS2. But after 20 odd years of playing TS2, I'm ready to let another company wow me. It won't be the first time I wasted money on a game, nor wasn't impressed as I thought I would be. I'm going in with my eyes wide open. This game by Humble will have a lot of RPG-ness (if that's a word) in it. But I have played them before but prefer life simulators like The Sims. I'm not disappointed at anything I see so far, Including the conversation maker thingy. Or no real voice overs. I'm expecting it to be similar but very different. And that's ok. I wasn't expecting that to be the story with TS4 since they said it was the smartest Sims, the most emotional, the most controlled options by players ever type of game....well it wasn't. None of that was true. So, I'm not apprehensive at all about preordering this game. I know what we are getting and it's not the same ole tagline...smartest Sims ever, You Rule, best game ever tagline.
    I'll play early access and go from there. After 20+ I feel Maxis has ran out of ideas and can't offer anything but clutter from the Art Dept. (And unfortunately, I feel what they do 'remake' they don't do as well as twenty years ago.)

For me, Sims 3 had a LOT of RPG elements. I mean, the entirety of the World Adventures EP, the depth of collectibles and crafting, the ambitions careers, just to name a few. I really enjoyed them.

The Sims 4 incorporation of these elements were always very shallow. So I welcome more of them in Rene and LBY.

I will stress that the games CAN'T rely on RPG elements. Strong AI, interpersonal relationships, the aspiration meter, Wants & Fears, two-sided dynamics, relationship types, memories, and more from TS2 base game are fan-favorites.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member

I'm still interested in LBY but my initial excitement is dying down. It's like little bits of that excitement are being slowly chipped away. First the revelation about Rod Humble's dislike for occults and supernatural gameplay. The questions about how much of the goofy charm of The Sims is going to be included, and now learning that the characters won't have voices. I need to replace this computer because of a poor choice when I spec'd it regardless of what LBY needs, but those huge minimum specs could have been a factor otherwise.

There hasn't been anything yet that has been a total turn off or a hard no, but I'm glad as a Mac gamer I wasn't granted early access. I would be feeling a lot more apprehensive if I had actually put money down on it. It may still be the best life sim yet, so it will be interesting to see what they have to share in the coming months.

Yeah, I think it's going to be lacking in the humor and charm department, plus I believe the character models are not going to be as good looking as The Sims 4 and whatever Project Rene's sims will look like. I am even warming to Paralives characters. I can't tell if I like LBY characters from what I've seen so far. They look odd, especially their bodies. I need to make my own with their modeler before I know, but I hope what they have now is from a temporary modeler and not the actual one.

However, I am looking for them to create a world that is much more interesting to play in as well as character interactions that are enjoyable, fascinating, and surprising to watch. Also a game that you can tailor to the way you like to play. If they don't deliver that, I don't think it will be a successful as it could be.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    edited April 2023

For me, Sims 3 had a LOT of RPG elements. I mean, the entirety of the World Adventures EP, the depth of collectibles and crafting, the ambitions careers, just to name a few. I really enjoyed them.

The Sims 4 incorporation of these elements were always very shallow. So I welcome more of them in Rene and LBY.

I will stress that the games CAN'T rely on RPG elements. Strong AI, interpersonal relationships, the aspiration meter, Wants & Fears, two-sided dynamics, relationship types, memories, and more from TS2 base game are fan-favorites.

Because WA and Ambitions were very RPG is why I didn't buy them. I eventually (after years) purchased Ambitions and some of hands on careers were fun like fire fighter and the ghost hunter one. However, the interior designer one was very strict interactions. We couldn't even interact with the Sim wanting a change to their home. And it was very linear...do this, do this, do that sort of gameplay. That was all Rod Humble's influence, and vision of what Sims should do...play like a very linear RPG. It's why I left TS3 not long after WA. I was very disappointed to see the direction he took the series. Yes, I complained a lot. But eventually went back with Late Night and others.

Even though I totally disagreed with the spin on TS3 so far removed from Wright's original visions that it's ironic I would preorder a game produced by Humble again...but as I say, to me Maxis has taken The Sims into the avatar land of play self and basically dress up Barbie. It's a huge turn off to me the direction TS4 went not long after some of the developers were moved and or went on to other jobs and or let go.

I remember one of the announcements when a developer (no longer working for Sims) stated don't worry if you love RPG gameplay there's plenty in TS4....I could only grumble what about TS2 didn't they remember that made it so loveable. It wasn't linear, strict, level up gameplay.

So, yeah, It's very ironic I would pay for preorder knowing I never like any of that sort of thing in TS3 or TS4. Maybe it's because I'm jaded about the whole TS series.

Edit to add: And the XP on the screen in LBY reminds me of the XP Maxis was developing for TS4 before it was changed to a single player, offline game and no longer a multiplayer. So, yeah...that sort of irks me, too. lol

P.S. I figure the best way to tell Rod what a player expects as it is developed is go to preorder and get on that Discord site and tell him straight out before they add more RPG-ness. :p
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options

I love that there are now other developers that are coming after EA and The Sims. I think it's as much a matter of complacency because there hasn't been any real competition that is to blame for the state of The Sims. I think the devs still have plenty of ideas but they're constrained by higher powers that place obstacles and limitations in their way. These competitor products show that the innovation and ideas are out there and EA will have to allow their devs to follow suit if they want this franchise to continue past TS5. For the first time I can remember The Sims has real competition.

There are elements of the life sim experience that I've fallen in love with and would hate to see go away. Occults and charming goofiness are big things for me. Voices are too, at this point. My favorite sound in the game is my sims voices. I love to hear them speak even if I've heard them say the same phrase half a billion times already. That's just me though and in the end if the whole package is good enough I would eventually learn to live without those items. It would just take time to grow on me is all. There are things about TS4 I didn't think I'd like when I moved over from TS3 and now I love them, the art style being the big one.

I was hoping to see LBY and Paralives take all the things I love in The Sims and include all of them but make them the absolute best versions possible. I am guilty of building up high expectations before I see something for the first time. My imagination runs constantly and in high gear and I build these fantastic ideas of what we'll see which was never realistic in the beginning.
  • Options
    CK213 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it's going to be lacking in the humor and charm department, plus I believe the character models are not going to be as good looking as The Sims 4 and whatever Project Rene's sims will look like. I am even warming to Paralives characters. I can't tell if I like LBY characters from what I've seen so far. They look odd, especially their bodies. I need to make my own with their modeler before I know, but I hope what they have now is from a temporary modeler and not the actual one.

However, I am looking for them to create a world that is much more interesting to play in as well as character interactions that are enjoyable, fascinating, and surprising to watch. Also a game that you can tailor to the way you like to play. If they don't deliver that, I don't think it will be a successful as it could be.

I hope they do embrace the customization with both LBY and Paralives. I think it's safe to say that customization with mods and cc is a huge part of simming. If they aren't going to embrace it you are absolutely right, neither title will be what it could have been and they'll be letting EA off the hook. I won't deny it, I love The Sims and I want to stay with the franchise, but they need to be pushed like they've never been pushed before.

Rod's connection to the TS2/TS3 era really shows in the look of the characters at this point. That old interview with him that was posted recently put the biggest dent into my excitement. I'm hoping though that the years since then have helped him see the life sim genre differently and that he and his team won't focus entirely on ultra-realism.

The only thing standing between me and loving the Paras is, as @mightysprite pointed out perfectly, the way they are hand-drawn but living in a 3D modeled world. It's a bit like a 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' or 'Space Jam' sim without the real life actors. If the Paras were full 3D models like the objects in the world around them you'd have to scrape me off the ceiling.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member

So like Animal Crossing sounds. I'm okay with that.

I'm fine with Rene not having this conversation feature. Instead, I want a return to the interests-based conversation being shown in chat bubble icons. I want different sims to not get along. I always felt that Sims 4 it's such a sandbox that you can be best friends and marry any single Sim. There is no conflict or tension, which made the game of little interest to me.

There's a lot of potential to further expand the interest system. I really like how every sim was born with random interests...it meant as a wants-based player, I could use the interests as a way to guide their career path, skills, and other life choices.

12xczpmamqrd.png

I also like how we could have sims read magazines to shape their interests in the Sims 2.
    I enjoyed sending them out to buy magazines and having them read them.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    It would be amazing if the interests system helps influence what wants and fears the Sims have as well as how the AI determines what objects the Sims interact with
  • Options
    It would be amazing if the interests system helps influence what wants and fears the Sims have as well as how the AI determines what objects the Sims interact with

Yeah, and or if we can break them from being too attracted to any object. Like in TS2's FT if they got into a zone they would play the piano or use the dance bar way too much. Much like TS4 Sims used the basketball net too much.

I wish they would show how the memory system is going to work. Wonder if anyone over on Twitter can ask Mr. Humble to highlight that feature. From what I read memories (long term) will play a big part in how they interact with each other. I hope it's as good as TS2's memory system and characters would stay mad or upset for a very long time as long as they remember a snide remark or attitude toward them. lol

But I know someone will complain (just like in this series) and it will get tweaked, but I hope not out of existence.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top