Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,402 Member
    I still don't know what I need exactly since the early release and the specs only relate to PCs. This Mac I'm on has 16GB of RAM and a Radeon Pro 5700 video card with an 8-core 3.8 Ghz Intel processor. It runs great except when I'm working on one of my SimLit stories and minimize the game to go to desktop to write or edit screenshots for the story. The desktop lags bad then but otherwise it's fine. And it can't handle TS3 at all. The lag in that one is too much to be playable, but I'm enjoying 4 warts and all. I need to make the trip to the nearest Apple Store and spec out a new M1 with as much RAM as I can get. An interesting thing with the new M1 Macs, the video card is built into the processor. The reviews I've seen are great but I'm not sure how I feel about that. The one I spec'd online was over $1K cheaper than this one so with the trade in value on this one it won't be as big of a hit financially.

What about using bootcamp to run a windows partition?
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,858 Member
    @simgirl1010 There other benefits. A big one is you only buy an operating system when you buy the computer, after that for as long as you own that particular computer all new operating systems are free. This is my second Mac since 2012 and in that time they've put out 11 new operating systems and I only had to pay for 2. Apple puts out a new OS about once a year on average. I'd hate to think what that would cost if Microsoft did that and made you pay for each one. When you're done with a program you simply delete it and there's no registry nonsense to deal with. The only downside I've encountered is gaming companies treat Mac users as an afterthought. The biggest offenders are the ones that make shoot 'em up games which, I personally, no longer have any interest in. There are plenty of simulators. Dreamlight Valley was an example of where game developers have gone all in on this new M1 chipset. It's still fairly new so it's taking a bit longer to make games for Macs than it did when Apple used only Intel or AMD chips.

This computer matches up pretty well performance wise with most of my old gaming PCs and cost a lot less. I can't see myself switching back to PC now.
  • Options
    barracuda1574barracuda1574 Posts: 115 Member
    It looks like Life By You is very similar to SIMS3, my least favorite iteration of the game. For those who loved TS3, that's great! I'm hoping SIMS5 will be more of a mix of the best from TS2 and TS4.
  • Options
    I still don't know what I need exactly since the early release and the specs only relate to PCs. This Mac I'm on has 16GB of RAM and a Radeon Pro 5700 video card with an 8-core 3.8 Ghz Intel processor. It runs great except when I'm working on one of my SimLit stories and minimize the game to go to desktop to write or edit screenshots for the story. The desktop lags bad then but otherwise it's fine. And it can't handle TS3 at all. The lag in that one is too much to be playable, but I'm enjoying 4 warts and all. I need to make the trip to the nearest Apple Store and spec out a new M1 with as much RAM as I can get. An interesting thing with the new M1 Macs, the video card is built into the processor. The reviews I've seen are great but I'm not sure how I feel about that. The one I spec'd online was over $1K cheaper than this one so with the trade in value on this one it won't be as big of a hit financially.

What about using bootcamp to run a windows partition?

I'm sorry I missed your comment earlier. I'm not the most tech savvy person and in the past when I've tried to install and use bootcamp I couldn't get it to work at all. I'm not sure what a windows partition is, but since I haven't had a PC in years I don't have a copy of windows handy. I'd rather save that money and put it towards a bigger, faster Mac.

If I load up on RAM and get the fastest chip I should be good for whatever comes from LBY, Rene, or Paralives. It's only in one very specific way that I can make this computer lag. There's really nothing wrong with it, but the writing is on the wall, most software developers are focusing on Apple's M1 chipset so the Intel powered Macs are headed for extinction.

I really appreciate the suggestions though.🙂 I could tinker around again one weekend to see if I can get bootcamp to work.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    I guess I'm really behind the times these days, I only just learned of the game in the past few days. Anyway, the question has been asked if I would buy life by you, the sims 5 or both. Well, I've pre-ordered life by you on the day I learned of its existence. As to sims 5, that remains to be seen. I don't know enough about it yet, and I haven't been all that happy with 4, so I'm not sure. If it is cross platform, I'm thinking not. How can a game that uses all the power from a PC be as good as something that runs on a phone? I'm just not seeing how that's possible. But I haven't kept up on anything in computers, so I'm coming from a 10 to 20 year old knowledge base, maybe things have changed.
    We'll see how 5 works out.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    cleo224cleo224 Posts: 87 Member
    This game looks to be just what I wanted TS4 to be... so I am so glad that I stumbled upon this !! I will be watching to see how this turns out. I want to play the game the way I WANT TO, but I always end up doing the things TS4 wants me to do. I love the customization abilities for the world, objects and this looks like my cup of tea!
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    cleo224 wrote: »
    This game looks to be just what I wanted TS4 to be... so I am so glad that I stumbled upon this !! I will be watching to see how this turns out. I want to play the game the way I WANT TO, but I always end up doing the things TS4 wants me to do. I love the customization abilities for the world, objects and this looks like my cup of tea!

I really love the customization of the world. It's like Sims 3 but better.

What I'm hoping for, however, are dynamic animations between characters that make them feel alive. I want the best from Sims 2
    • meaningful idle animations
    • status animations representing low needs or a state of distress
    • automatic animations of Sims recognizing and acknowledging each others' presence
    • animations that SHOW emotion. SHOW emotion, don't TELL emotion (specifically criticizing TS4 emotion system)
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,235 Member
    edited April 2023
    I'm waiting for more hobbies and careers.

23 years later there are many activities that Barbie can do but the sims still can't do.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    @LeGardePourpre what new never before seen careers and hobbies are you hoping for In LBY?

I can't remember if we've ever had pottery making in The Sims but that would be cool. It is a hobby in Sims Freeplay.
  • Options
    @LeGardePourpre what new never before seen careers and hobbies are you hoping for In LBY?

I can't remember if we've ever had pottery making in The Sims but that would be cool. It is a hobby in Sims Freeplay.

Sims 2 Freetime 🖤
    ci9el1kf8y83.png
    jsc4jyl5vwd6.png
    2ig4bjcz1ilj.png
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I forgot all about pottery making in Sims 2. Thought I'd found something that wasn't in any of the versions.

ETA: I really hope Sims 5 manages to finally give us the best of all versions. I really miss 2 and 3 but just don't have time for them.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    cleo224 wrote: »

I really love the customization of the world. It's like Sims 3 but better.

What I'm hoping for, however, are dynamic animations between characters that make them feel alive. I want the best from Sims 2
    • meaningful idle animations
    • status animations representing low needs or a state of distress
    • automatic animations of Sims recognizing and acknowledging each others' presence
    • animations that SHOW emotion. SHOW emotion, don't TELL emotion (specifically criticizing TS4 emotion system)

I was looking at the UI in the game footage and it seems we are back to moodlets and buffs in LBY, too. :/ What I noticed was the buff/moodlet didn't match the facial expression of the 'sim' in LBY, either, just like in TS4. I don't like moodlets, it's why TS3 was never as endearing to me as TS1 and TS2, but open world and Create a Style were huge. But I agree with you. I want to see the emotions not read about them. But unfortunately it looks like Rod Humble is going to use a moodlet system that doesn't even match the Sim's facial expression just like before.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    I wonder what the kids and teens will do in school all day? No rabbitholes so you'll have the option to accompany them like teens in High School Years.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Clk1143 wrote: »
    I'm going to put it out there that I play and enjoy both sims 2 and sims 4. Sims 4 has it's faults yes, but for the most part I am still entertained playing it. Sims 2 is my favorite sims version, and sims 1 makin magic is still my favorite expansion pack. Just thought I would give you all a small inside as to where I am coming from.

Life By You to me after seeing all the trailers and information thus far seems like it would a dream come true for those who want to create worlds, build buildings, and mod to your hearts content. For me though I want a people simulator, and the people (not talking about graphics) don't seem to have much life to them. The conversations are going to be limited, telling me that I have to add more to the conversation trees myself just makes me think it will be very limited on social interactions and the ones it does have really get boring because they repeat constantly.

For me sims is also very much a story maker, and while Life By You talks about how you can make your own stories it doesn't actually show that. Customization is great, however, that to me doesn't necessairly make a game story friendly. I am also someone who likes families which Life By You hasn't even discussed it other then they will only have adult people in the early release.

Life By You seems to be really really really focused on the open world and spending hours changing that world. Some people love that and that's fine. I only get two or three hours a night of me time, and to me that's not game play, that's just making it so I can't play the people part. Also open world as it worked in sims 3 had so many issues that were caused by the open world part. I remember having to chase down townies who got stuck and having to reset them, if I didn't it would cause lag in the game. I remember getting fired from jobs because a townie/townies would be at the door of the job and my sim couldn't get to into the building. I remember not being able to do certain jobs because buildings closed at certain times and I wanted to do more then just work and stay home. Sims 3 open world also made it really difficult for to be a rotating player, and to play out those types of stories.

Finally Rod Humble said more then once during sims 3 how much he dislikes supernatural, he was very hesitite on adding any to sims 3. It's why they ended up in one expansion pack, and that of course caused them not to be all that fleshed out. Most likely there will be zero whimsy, supernatural and so forth in Life By You. I enjoy more of a parady of people simulator then 100% realistic people simulator. Sims tends to go more of the parody part, Life By You seems to be going more towards the 100% realistic part.

Now of course if you like the looks of Life By You that's fine, just like it's fine that so far I haven't seen anything that makes me excited to play the people.

Eww, he didn't like supernaturals? No fun or whimsy? No wonder he didn't last at EA/Maxis.

This is going to be an absolute hard pass.
  • Options
    If LBY really does release without the charm and whimsy of The Sims and with no intention of ever including properly done occults I'm out too. I wouldn't like it if there were no occults, but I might come around in time. But without the other...nope.
  • Options
    A little article from 2008 where he says he hates the supernatural.

https://beyondsims.com/2008/04/things-that-🐸🐸🐸🐸-off-rod-humble-supernatural-things/

I guess he'll try to lump them all together in one pack.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member

https://beyondsims.com/2008/04/things-that-🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸-off-rod-humble-supernatural-things/

This was from 2008.
  • Options

https://beyondsims.com/2008/04/things-that-🐸🐸🐸🐸🐸-off-rod-humble-supernatural-things/

This was from 2008.

Yes. I mentioned that.

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,235 Member
    edited April 2023

"... but he’ll sacrifice his hate if it means for us to get what we want. "

He also changed his mind about life simulation :
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/the-sims-3-rod-humble-part-one
    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/the-sims-3-rod-humble-part-two
    GamesIndustry.biz What's your first memory of The Sims?

Rod Humble
    I can remember, I was working at Sony when number one was announced. I saw the preview for the game and I think like a lot of core gamers I just thought "What the hell is this? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever!" I was so negative on it, I just couldn't believe anybody would be releasing this - it was from the guys that did SimCity, which was one of my favourite games, and it seemed to be a game about watching other people sitting around the house, on a computer. It just seemed so lame.

But then a friend of mine bought the game when it came out, and he was a super-hardcore player. He showed me how he was playing it, and where I was going wrong, and then I was hooked - that changed my mind.
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member

Yup that's basically what he did for sims 3, was put almost all of them in one expansion pack. This meant that many were not really fleshed out and it felt like a second thought that he felt forced to do. Many were disappointed by Supernatural aspect in sims 3 including me. I know it's an older article from 2008 but honestly all the trailers and him talking about Life By You talks about how realistic everything is. He still seems to be into a more realistic kind of people simulator and not a parody nor supernatural. If that is what people like then that's great, I mean I'm sure it'll be fun for those who like only realistic side of things. I'm someone who likes a balance which is why I enjoy a parody simulator.
  • Options

Yup that's basically what he did for sims 3, was put almost all of them in one expansion pack. This meant that many were not really fleshed out and it felt like a second thought that he felt forced to do. Many were disappointed by Supernatural aspect in sims 3 including me. I know it's an older article from 2008 but honestly all the trailers and him talking about Life By You talks about how realistic everything is. He still seems to be into a more realistic kind of people simulator and not a parody nor supernatural. If that is what people like then that's great, I mean I'm sure it'll be fun for those who like only realistic side of things. I'm someone who likes a balance which is why I enjoy a parody simulator.

He left sims 3 in 2010? Also superbstureuls were not in just that pack!.They was a creature in each expansion pack.
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member

He left sims 3 in 2010? Also superbstureuls were not in just that pack!.They was a creature in each expansion pack.

I don't remember when he left sims 3 to be honest. I also don't believe he did a supernatural creature in every single pack. I just remember that they were not all that well done when compared to sims 2. Sims 3 is my least favorite of the sim versions, so I admit I probably do see it in a more negative light then others.
  • Options

I don't remember when he left sims 3 to be honest. I also don't believe he did a supernatural creature in every single pack. I just remember that they were not all that well done when compared to sims 2. Sims 3 is my least favorite of the sim versions, so I admit I probably do see it in a more negative light then others.

He left in 2010 .In every sims 3 pack there were a supernatural creature.
    World Adventures Mummy
    Base game playable ghost that can have babies
    Ambitions Simbots
    Late Night vampires first version( You can not create them in case)
    Generations Imaginary friends
    Showtime Guinies
    Pets (Unicorns)
    Supernaturuel (Came with five supernatural, three complete new other unlocks it so you can create them in case.Vampires, ghosts.New ones Werwwolves, witches and faries .If you have Showtime you can create Genies)
    Seasons Aliens
    University Life plant Sims 3
    Island Paradise Mermaids
    Into the future Plumbots (More advance simbots)

So yes they were supernatural in all the packs.
  • Options
    Humble left EA in December 2010.

He worked on the first three Sims 3 expansion packs.
    World Adventures Nov 2009 (Mummies)
    Ambitions June 2010 (Ghosthunter career)
    Late Night Oct 2010 (Vampires)

• Options
    edited April 2023
    https://youtu.be/tfRgbXjM5w0

I really love how the lighting and environment look in this. For me, the highest priority from a graphics perspective is fixing the humans themselves.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top