Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,645 Member
    We get early access in September. Should already have access at release? Not sure what Discord is though.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I'm super excited for this game. I was so impressed to see we can create our own conversations with the creative tools they are putting in this game. Customization is going to be monumental past those of The Sims 3. I'm not a quest player in life simulators, however, I loved The Sims Medieval so as much as I don't like a game driving my decisions of what to do next, I preordered this game. Can't wait for early access. Open world is beautiful on my machine I don't know what type of graphics the reviewer had on theirs but once I got rid of Youtube's default changing stuff to 480 instead of HD, the world looks great!

I like the facial realisms. I like the custom tools (so many EA). Not happy with body shapes and or 3D models, hopefully those proportions get an overhaul...but as far as the short arms comments I read, I recall all the fuss about TS4 Sims' longer arms..and there were comments from many about ape arms and out of proportion. I agreed about that back in 2014.

Just a final comment unless we see more from TS5 or LBY before Sept., If you see my name over there in the future it's not me..so be nice to them, the name was already taken before I preordered.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    We get early access in September. Should already have access at release? Not sure what Discord is though.

Discord is a free communications app that lets you share voice, video, and text chat with friends, game communities, and developers. It has hundreds of millions of users, making it one of the most popular ways to connect with people online.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/news/what-is-discord-and-what-is-it-used-for#:~:text=Discord is a free communications,to connect with people online.

We are very excited to be able to communicate with you all directly through our private Early Access Server! Please be sure to read the rules and guidelines for the Discord, after which we hope to hear all of your feedback and compile any issues you run into during Early Access.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/life-by-you--early-access-faq
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2023
    Life by You and Paralives are far from The Sims (2000) spirit created by Will Wright.

Will the players enjoy to burn or drown the characters in these games ? I'm not even sure if that will be possible.

Maybe or maybe not but some so not want what Sims 4 is giving them if SIms 4 was to cease to be published it would be the one I would not remember fondly and if LBU can at least get me close to what I used to experience, then I am there and will buy it. But anyway all is subjective and speculative.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • heiblumeheiblume Posts: 33 Member
    I am so excited for Life by You!! I am not a creator, I like playing and the more immersive the better. I think the creators are awesome because there are so many people out there that are creative and I cannot wait to download what they make!

I used to love traveling and exploring, but I developed Lupus 10 yrs ago, and am very limited to what I can do. Sims games are an escape for me. It allows me to experience what I cannot physically.

OMG the Quest Creator, so awesome looking as I do tend to be a goal orientated player. I just love the thought of going looking at (and downloading) everyone's creations.

The option for a backstory is mind blowing. I hope people can create those too. Emergent Gameplay!! Yes!

I preordered immediately after watching the trailer despite my laptop not meeting min. requirements. My laptop is several years old, and I planned on replacing it. This gave me the motivation to do it sooner rather than later. It is just one of the things you have to be aware of if you want to game.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    heiblume wrote: »
    I am so excited for Life by You!! I am not a creator, I like playing and the more immersive the better. I think the creators are awesome because there are so many people out there that are creative and I cannot wait to download what they make!

I used to love traveling and exploring, but I developed Lupus 10 yrs ago, and am very limited to what I can do. Sims games are an escape for me. It allows me to experience what I cannot physically.

OMG the Quest Creator, so awesome looking as I do tend to be a goal orientated player. I just love the thought of going looking at (and downloading) everyone's creations.

The option for a backstory is mind blowing. I hope people can create those too. Emergent Gameplay!! Yes!

I preordered immediately after watching the trailer despite my laptop not meeting min. requirements. My laptop is several years old, and I planned on replacing it. This gave me the motivation to do it sooner rather than later. It is just one of the things you have to be aware of if you want to game.

Thank you for sharing :)

Sounds like the town customizations and creations will be really exciting for you! Being able to build up from individual characters all the way to the macro level of the town demographics and economy. That's really exciting for me as well.

It seems like it will combine the best of Sims 2 and 3 in that regard. Plus, being Paradox, they have really great experience with running advanced simulations from Cities: Skylines. It will be very cool to see how our choices end up affecting the character of the town.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    For those who have pre-ordered is access to the Discord available immediately or will that happen at release?

I haven't yet. I read it'll be available closer to early access
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,652 Member
    Looking at Paradox's website it looks like a full release isn't planned until at least September of 2024. They say they're expecting the game to remain in early access for a full year. I was going to pre-order it but there's no mention at all of a version for Mac. I'm sure one will be along at some point. On the plus side it gives me some more time to save up for the newer computer that I will surely need.
    I might have spoken too soon about there being a Mac version someday. From everything I can find, Paradox Interactive doesn't make Mac versions of their games. I can't find any of their games anywhere for Macs. Surely Paradox makes games for Mac...don't they?
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I might have spoken too soon about there being a Mac version someday. From everything I can find, Paradox Interactive doesn't make Mac versions of their games. I can't find any of their games anywhere for Macs. Surely Paradox makes games for Mac...don't they?

https://support.paradoxplaza.com/hc/en-us/articles/231931368-Games-for-Windows-Mac-OS-and-Linux

https://support.paradoxplaza.com/hc/en-us/articles/231931368-Games-for-Windows-Mac-OS-and-Linux

Thank you. I knew I had to be missing something somewhere. It seemed like every game page I went to only had Windows specs. I am the world's most inept Googler.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited April 2023
    Rod Humble knows the bad strategies that EA want to apply to The Sims.

We saw the result of the previous ones :
    • Online/Multiplayer Mode for SimCity (2013) including the damages caused on The Sims 4 / Project Olympus development
    • Frostbite Engine for Dragon Age Inquisition (2014) and Mass Effect Andromeda (2017)
    • Destiny-like for Anthem (2019)

Now "Cross-platform" could potentially become the weakness of Project Rene.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
    edited April 2023

Thank you. I knew I had to be missing something somewhere. It seemed like every game page I went to only had Windows specs. I am the world's most inept Googler.

I did some googling and apparently, Cities: Skylines launched in 2015 for both PC and Mac.

LBY is only launching for PC, but I wouldn't say the game is never going to be available for Mac.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited April 2023
    Maxis' Lost Astral isn't released yet, it's another factor that the success/failure could have side effects on the Project Rene development.
    EA seems to have the Erratic trait, nobody can predict what they will do until the last minute.

Life by You development could be more stable.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on

I did some googling and apparently, Cities: Skylines launched in 2015 for both PC and Mac.

LBY is only launching for PC, but I wouldn't say the game is never going to be available for Mac.

Thank you. I was just looking in the wrong places but I've found more information. Chalk it up to brain cramps.🙂

Thank you. I was just looking in the wrong places but I've found more information. Chalk it up to brain cramps.🙂

I also thought Cities: Skylines was PC-only before I googled :D
    edited April 2023

The only reason I knew that they made games for Mac is because I joined the LBY Reddit and there's a lot of Mac players asking for it and others told them that Paradox was good at supporting Mac. I'm not familiar with their games because they're aren't games I would enjoy.
    The only reason I knew that they made games for Mac is because I joined the LBY Reddit and there's a lot of Mac players asking for it and others told them that Paradox was good at supporting Mac. I'm not familiar with their games because they're aren't games I would enjoy.

That's sort of why I felt confused. You don't see the Apple logo or the words Apple or Mac very much on their website. I know there are far more PC gamers but Mac gamers are a pretty sizable group too. That's why I was so confused when I couldn't find anything in plain sight. I felt surely they wouldn't ignore a group that big.

At least we're not alone.🙂

• CarmineCarmine Posts: 84 Member
    Ignoring the graphics (which I do actively dislike - yes I know it's not finalized, but I doubt I'm going to come around if they keep this realistic Second Life-y style), I find it a huge red flag that they keep going "we won't have X but you can mod it in". Moddability is great, but it just reads to me like "we'll let you do the work and we'll just do the barebones game". You can't even be mean in base game? Come on now. I'm also not gelling with the dialogue system or with having to follow around your character 24/7, but that's just a matter of taste ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Carmine wrote: »
    Ignoring the graphics (which I do actively dislike - yes I know it's not finalized, but I doubt I'm going to come around if they keep this realistic Second Life-y style), I find it a huge red flag that they keep going "we won't have X but you can mod it in". Moddability is great, but it just reads to me like "we'll let you do the work and we'll just do the barebones game". You can't even be mean in base game? Come on now. I'm also not gelling with the dialogue system or with having to follow around your character 24/7, but that's just a matter of taste ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do believe they are sticking with the more realistic style of the graphics, so while they will improve them before final release I don't think they'll be swinging over to the cartoony side.

I never read that you couldn't be "mean". Do you have a link to that?

I read an interview where Rod said that there would no violence, woohoo would be under the covers and not visual, and no diseases. They also said that by default nudity would not be shown but players could remove the blur filter. And, I know there are mean/antagonistic conversation choices because they showed a screenshot of that.

I take it you don't play with MCCC, UI Cheats or any other mods that help to fix or enhance the game for TS4? To me it certainly can't be any more barebones than what we got with TS4 at release. I personally use a ton of mods to tone down this or that or to add features, so the modding part is welcoming to me. And the fact we can freely place lots where we want them and customize the lot sizes and that there will be apartment/rentals from the beginning excites me so much because after 9+ years of world/lot limitations with TS4 it will be crazy good. And you can also create home/work lots so you could make a store with an apartment over it!

Of the things you listed that won't be in the game, I feel like basic illnesses (common colds, allergies, stomach flu, toothache, rashes, minor injuries from being clumsy or falling off a bike/skateboard, cutting your finger or minor burns from low cooking skills, etc) should be in the basegame. That's a part of life that every single person experiences at some point in time in their life and should not be "triggering". Major/fatal diseases an injuries I can see why they wouldn't add them and just let modders do it if people want that in their personal game.

I also never read where you were forced to "follow your character 24/7". What I read was if you wanted to follow them to work you could, or you could easily switch to another household member or even another character in the world and play them. They said if you switch to another household your character would be taken over by the AI and progress that way or you could say don't do anything until I get back.

I'm really interested in reading these statements you've mentioned because there could be other things in the article/interview that might sway me to hold off buying at early access.
  • dothesmustledothesmustle Posts: 1,851 Member
    edited April 2023
    I was so excited by the announcement, I even began planning a new pc build so I could play but something kept holding me back from committing to pre-order LBY, this thread helped me realise what it was; it's the lack of whimsy! Whatever the flaws (and there are a multitude) of the sims series it's the whimsy that keeps drawing me back in (as far as up to Sims 3 at least), I like the non-naturals, I like being able to take a trip through a magic wardrobe or a time machine or even accessing an inter-dimensional portal through some bizarre dance gyroscope machine. The Sims games are more than just a life simulator, they are fertilizers of fantasy, fuel for the imagination and that's what I love about them. Someone said that LBY is an in-depth life simulator and I am sure that there are a lot of people that will love that but it's not for me I get enough life management just by living. I will keep an eye on the news about LBY and I wish them every success but I am going to pass for now.

I just wish there was an appealing replacement for when TS3 is no longer playable.

(edited; whoopsydoos I missed a word)
    You can call me smustle or Lori if you prefer.
    I was so excited by the announcement, I even began planning a new pc build so I could play but something kept holding me back from committing to pre-order LBY, this thread helped me realise what it was; it's the lack of whimsy! Whatever the flaws (and there are a multitude) of the sims series it's the whimsy that keeps drawing me back in (as far as up to Sims 3 at least), I like the non-naturals, I like being able to take a trip through a magic wardrobe or a time machine or even accessing an inter-dimensional portal through some bizarre dance gyroscope machine. The Sims games are more than just a life simulator, they are fertilizers of fantasy, fuel for the imagination and that's what I love about them. Someone said that LBY is an in-depth life simulator and I am sure that there are a lot of people that will love that but it's not for me I get enough life management just by living. I will keep an eye on the news about LBY and I wish them every success but I am going to pass for now.

I just wish there was an appealing replacement for when TS3 is no longer playable.

My theory is that the supernatural/whimsy will come as DLC. I think they are focusing on building a firm foundation first.
  • heiblumeheiblume Posts: 33 Member

I like fantasy and historical type play too. I noticed no mention of any type of supernatural or fantasy options right away. I am just hoping that is something for future DLC. I have high hopes with all of the creators included the game that we will eventually be able to create fully historic or mystical landscapes. That should be easier with the recoloring capabilities for players to modify existing items, so for future game packs the devs just need to focus on gameplay mechanics such as designating a world for horse drawn vehicles or walking only.

I enjoyed Into the Future and would love similar options. There are tons of historical creators for S4 but trying to live in a historical world with motor vehicles and modern cityscapes ruins the play at times.

I have a very vivid imagination but am unable to translate that to writing or other artistic endeavors, so sims games give me a base to express that with other peoples creations. LBY offers so many possible ways to make a world. From the get go LBY SEEMS to offer a fuller initial game. Seems to, whether or not this holds up, I don't know.

I love this thread and reading everyone's hopes and concerns about things they have noticed in the media LBY has released. So many things I never would have noticed. I am looking forward to seeing opinions on future information LBY releases.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2023

I hope you don't mind me responding to your comments. I have felt for a several years Maxis has lost their way with the 'whimsy' and find little of it in TS4. The direction of the game left me a long time ago. Ron Humble is literally giving players every tool they use in the game to build the game. That is epic. Imagine what players can do with every tool the developers use to create characters, conversations, objects, situations, responses. Literally the player will have complete control of their game. Anything you create will be owned by you.....unlike EA.

A single player game, offline...what an idea. :) No one will come in and mess up your worlds. Unless you want to share something with others. No one will tell you how to play or how to think or if that is the right way to play or not. Amazing. I've been waiting on developers to get out of my game and let me play my way since TS2.

Open world. Ron Humble stated Life doesn't have loading screens..Epic.

Memories are back they will remember whatever they noticed, forever....Tremendous memory (I'm gonna need more RAM).

We will be able to change any object (from what I have seen) to anything else... Because the tools are in the game to change an object to something else. Will Wright's vision right there...to allow players to imagine whatever they want and be able to do it within the game. No third party tools necessary.

It's true I haven't always admired Ron Humble because of his RPG background and love for linear gameplay but..this time it's seems he has taken some of Wright's visions and made them even better/bigger.

Of course, it will still have RPG realism like closing times, days of the week, month etc. but open careers....Sims won't pop into Rabbit holes. There are None! If a Sim has to walk to work they will walk...Simulation so very, very important, no longer click and order med from a pc. They will have to get up off their duffs and go buy whatever they need and transportation will be necessary. If it takes a car or bus so be it. Simulation and no more slot popping!! Woot!

This game is already epic. Unlike Maxis which won't even allow the edit of a lot, Humble is saying do whatever you want with that land. Thank you Ron Humble for giving me hope someone understood the need to create without having to beg to change something.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,645 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I hope you don't mind me responding to your comments. I have felt for a several years Maxis has lost their way with the 'whimsy' and find little of it in TS4. The direction of the game left me a long time ago. Ron Humble is literally giving players every tool they use in the game to build the game. That is epic. Imagine what players can do with every tool the developers use to create characters, conversations, objects, situations, responses. Literally the player will have complete control of their game. Anything you create will be owned by you.....unlike EA.

A single player game, offline...what an idea. :) No one will come in and mess up your worlds. Unless you want to share something with others. No one will tell you how to play or how to think or if that is the right way to play or not. Amazing. I've been waiting on developers to get out of my game and let me play my way since TS2.

Open world. Ron Humble stated Life doesn't have loading screens..Epic.

Memories are back they will remember whatever they noticed, forever....Tremendous memory (I'm gonna need more RAM).

We will be able to change any object (from what I have seen) to anything else... Because the tools are in the game to change an object to something else. Will Wright's vision right there...to allow players to imagine whatever they want and be able to do it within the game. No third party tools necessary.

It's true I haven't always admired Ron Humble because of his RPG background and love for linear gameplay but..this time it's seems he has taken some of Wright's visions and made them even better/bigger.

Of course, it will still have RPG realism like closing times, days of the week, month etc. but open careers....Sims won't pop into Rabbit holes. There are None! If a Sim has to walk to work they will walk...Simulation so very, very important, no longer click and order med from a pc. They will have to get up off their duffs and go buy whatever they need and transportation will be necessary. If it takes a car or bus so be it. Simulation and no more slot popping!! Woot!

This game is already epic. Unlike Maxis which won't even allow the edit of a lot, Humble is saying do whatever you want with that land. Thank you Ron Humble for giving me hope someone understood the need to create without having to beg to change something.

My computer meets the recommended 16 RAM requirements. From all I'm hearing about LBY, I have been pondering whether I want to beef my machine up to 32 RAM.

I am excited about the game Rod Humble is giving us with the ability to make my game unlike anybody else's game. It will truly be MY game. Love it! B)

@Cinebar It's great to see you back on the forum! B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top