Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Of course, it will still have RPG realism like closing times, days of the week, month etc. but open careers....Sims won't pop into Rabbit holes. There are None! If a Sim has to walk to work they will walk...Simulation so very, very important, no longer click and order med from a pc. They will have to get up off their duffs and go buy whatever they need and transportation will be necessary. If it takes a car or bus so be it. Simulation and no more slot popping!! Woot!

The way you say it, transportation and walking to lots seems to have some sort of bad connotation. I wouldn't mind ordering medication on the PC and having it delivered in the mail next day in the Sims, but I really hated TS3 where you had to run around on a map only to end up staring at a rabbit hole building or an empty venue. Having a purpose to leave the lot and visit another lot and making it into a nice meaningful experience can't be a bad thing. Don't know if I would enjoy actively playing careers every single day though, it will end up feeling like a grind type of gameplay similar to that in MMOs.
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    I have been wondering how the time management system will work. In the Sims, it seems like you can't get much done by the time you use the bathroom, shower, cook breakfast, eat breakfast, go to work, come home, use the bathroom, shower, cook dinner, eat dinner. Hmm...what shall I do with that hour or two before bedtime? B)

I agree that some way of having the option to just simulating a workday would be a nice break from actually going through an entire workday 5 days a week. I can definitely see where that would get to be monotonous..
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Given the recent interest EA has shown about Roblox and Fornite, I went and had a little conversation with A.I. Bing.
    I just have the feeling that The Sims is about to evolve into something new.
    RobloxRene.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It sounds like Life By You, but with the online and social aspect.
    Life By You have shown some of their cards. It will be interesting to see what Project Rene reveals next.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited April 2023
    I would ask : Why The Sims franchise is less popular than Minecraft ?
    Minecraft, Roblox and Fortnite are multiplayer games but I can't believe that is the only reason of their success.

Life by You and Paralives will probably help us to understand what is missing in the Maxis' life simulation.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    Minecraft, Roblox and Fortnite are multiplayer games but I can't believe that is the only reason of their success.

Life by You and Paralives will probably help us to understand what is missing in the Maxis' life simulation.

@LeGardePourpre what parameters are you using to determine success? I'm not all that familiar with Minecraft, Roblox, or Fortnite.
  • Options
    dothesmustledothesmustle Posts: 1,851 Member

Cinebar wrote: »

I hope you don't mind me responding to your comments. I have felt for a several years Maxis has lost their way with the 'whimsy' and find little of it in TS4. The direction of the game left me a long time ago. Ron Humble is literally giving players every tool they use in the game to build the game. That is epic. Imagine what players can do with every tool the developers use to create characters, conversations, objects, situations, responses. Literally the player will have complete control of their game. Anything you create will be owned by you.....unlike EA.

A single player game, offline...what an idea. :) No one will come in and mess up your worlds. Unless you want to share something with others. No one will tell you how to play or how to think or if that is the right way to play or not. Amazing. I've been waiting on developers to get out of my game and let me play my way since TS2.

Open world. Ron Humble stated Life doesn't have loading screens..Epic.

Memories are back they will remember whatever they noticed, forever....Tremendous memory (I'm gonna need more RAM).
    This game is already epic. Unlike Maxis which won't even allow the edit of a lot, Humble is saying do whatever you want with that land. Thank you Ron Humble for giving me hope someone understood the need to create without having to beg to change something.

Hi Cinebar, no I don't mind the response I actually remember seeing your name around the TS3 forums a few years ago when I frequented them. I hope life has been treating you well! I actually agree that the above are all tremendous breakthroughs for players; a completely customisable game that you can theoretically build the game of your dreams. Plus offline, single play...hallelujah!

I don't know what Maxis were thinking moving from open world to loading screens, no memory system and I admit I didn't know that you couldn't even edit a lot in TS4, these are all features dear to my heart. A fully customisable world is wonderful but heavy on memory I bet (I too would have to upgrade my ram because I wouldn't be able to not tinker with everything I conceivably could) and as for memories I have mixed feelings, do you recall the three day crying jags when TS2 sims saw a mere roach?, but I do love the idea of continuity of memorable incidences affecting your agents in LBY.
    My fear is the micromanaging, I found it tedious in Skylines, I am not fussed if my agents use a car or bus or even walk I just want them to do something fun for me, the player, when they get to the destination and I don't really want travelling and daily minutiae to take up too much play time. I also don't want a return to TS2 wherein I spent more time looking for mods than actually playing which I think would be really easy to do in a mod-led game.

My theory is that the supernatural/whimsy will come as DLC. I think they are focusing on building a firm foundation first.

I would probably cave and buy it at that point if I don't do so before.

heiblume wrote: »

I like fantasy and historical type play too. I noticed no mention of any type of supernatural or fantasy options right away. I am just hoping that is something for future DLC. I have high hopes with all of the creators included the game that we will eventually be able to create fully historic or mystical landscapes. That should be easier with the recoloring capabilities for players to modify existing items, so for future game packs the devs just need to focus on gameplay mechanics such as designating a world for horse drawn vehicles or walking only.

I enjoyed Into the Future and would love similar options. There are tons of historical creators for S4 but trying to live in a historical world with motor vehicles and modern cityscapes ruins the play at times.

I have a very vivid imagination but am unable to translate that to writing or other artistic endeavors, so sims games give me a base to express that with other peoples creations. LBY offers so many possible ways to make a world. From the get go LBY SEEMS to offer a fuller initial game. Seems to, whether or not this holds up, I don't know.

I love this thread and reading everyone's hopes and concerns about things they have noticed in the media LBY has released. So many things I never would have noticed. I am looking forward to seeing opinions on future information LBY releases.

I love creativity too and whilst I do channel it in various ways it so fun to do it in a game. I also really enjoyed ITTF and I haven't yet taken advantage of all it has to offer in play terms. I agree it seems to offer a fuller base game although at this stage it would be difficult to offer an emptier experience than the Sims base game. I haven't written LBY off yet I am just being circumspect and will wait and see how it's going to go with them.

You can call me smustle or Lori if you prefer.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited April 2023

@LeGardePourpre what parameters are you using to determine success? I'm not all that familiar with Minecraft, Roblox, or Fortnite.

2014 : The Sims franchise (3 basegame + 45 packs) = 175 millions copies sold in 14 years. Note : EA counts the packs as units sold.
    2021 : Minecraft 238 millions copies sold in 10 years

Roblox annual revenue for 2022 was $2.225B
    Fortnite generated $5.8 billion revenue in 2021 for Epic Games
    Minecraft generated $380 million revenue in 2021

The Sims franchise has surpassed $5 billion in lifetime revenue in 2019.
    (The Sims 4 had managed to cross the $1 billion lifetime revenue threshold)

That's why it will be interesting to see how much Paradox will get with their game without a multiplayer mode.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    6, 2023 7:24 AM EDT
    Life By You could lock The Sims in a swimming pool and delete the ladder

https://www.google.com/amp/s/videogames.si.com/.amp/features/life-by-you-interview-rod-humble
  • Options

https://www.google.com/amp/s/videogames.si.com/.amp/features/life-by-you-interview-rod-humble

That was only mentioned in the title of the article and not further explained. Hopefully, that is only optional for those player who have that, to keep it kind, "other" side to them. Personally, it won't be happening in my game. B)
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member

That was only mentioned in the title of the article and not further explained. Hopefully, that is only optional for those player who have that, to keep it kind, "other" side to them. Personally, it won't be happening in my game. B)

I think they meant that LBY is competition for The Sims - as in the game, not people lol.
  • Options

I think they meant that LBY is competition for The Sims - as in the game, not people lol.

Ah, ok! I missed the metaphor there lol. :#
  • Options

Players who want to mess around in a sandbox can generate money with a few clicks of the mouse. If you want to see progression, you can limit your money and build up a life from a white-collar worker to CEO of a company.

Glad to see this. I'm a goal oriented player but making money has never been one of my goals. I want my sims to do what they want and have what they want. When I want it. No starter homes or saving for vacations for me.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Thanks @simgirl1010 for that article! It was super informative on some things.

Love how you can teach other Youbies (my adopted name for the characters in the game) skills, or they could teach you skills and how they could help you improve your relationship with someone else.
  • Options
  • Options
    mollie1998mollie1998 Posts: 446 Member
    Wow that is cool
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member

SimmerErin is such an underrated Sims creator. She's been repeatedly passed for EA Gamechangers / Creator Network so I was happy for her when she got early access to the LBY reveal trailer as part of the game's PR list.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Building a "world class" character creator in The Sims rival Life by You

Humble explains how one of Tectonic's designers made a 'tidy' trait. After creating the category, they rifled through a bunch of in-game interactions and tagged them so that, when undertaken by a 'tidy' agent, they would feel more fulfilled or increase a skill. Conversely, that means when a 'lazy' agent takes that same action, they might feel miserable. "All of a sudden, we've now got gameplay for a whole bunch of characters and players, who maybe didn't realize those actions would have some kind of impact," continues Humble, noting that modders will be able to do exactly the same thing.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/life-by-you-creator-and-the-sims-vet-rod-humble-on-building-a-world-class-character-creator
  • Options
    qAhx8Km.png
    B8gMWqw.png
    HH0vyDH.png

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/life-by-you/about
  • Options
    Really nice looking builds! I always suck at building, Terrible roofs lol. B)
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,853 Member
    Those are some really wonderful looking wallpapers. Seeing how realistic LBY looks it's hard to imagine what it would be like recreating my favorite sims in that game.
  • Options
    Life By You removed sickness due to COVID

Life By You is the next life sim by one of the visionaries behind The Sims. It features an open world and enough customization options to make your head spin, but there’s one thing is doesn’t feature: death by sickness or “unfortunate means”.

Natural death is a part of Life By You, but like everything else in the game, it’s a choice. When your death day comes, you can just tell the Reaper to come back another time and carry on.

https://videogames.si.com/news/life-by-you-removed-sickness-due-to-covid
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member

Well I think part of the appeal for Minecraft and Fortnight is the fact they have combat in them and they're also not Life Simulation games. Not sure that Roblox could even be considered that either (never played it) so it's a little hard for me personally to compare these games with The Sims.

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I thought it wasn't allowed to mention other Simulation games by title or Company that wasn't EA or the Sims?
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited April 2023
    Building a "world class" character creator in The Sims rival Life by You

Humble explains how one of Tectonic's designers made a 'tidy' trait. After creating the category, they rifled through a bunch of in-game interactions and tagged them so that, when undertaken by a 'tidy' agent, they would feel more fulfilled or increase a skill. Conversely, that means when a 'lazy' agent takes that same action, they might feel miserable. "All of a sudden, we've now got gameplay for a whole bunch of characters and players, who maybe didn't realize those actions would have some kind of impact," continues Humble, noting that modders will be able to do exactly the same thing.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/life-by-you-creator-and-the-sims-vet-rod-humble-on-building-a-world-class-character-creator

I think I will get a kick out of doing that, plus creating other things to support it even further.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I thought it wasn't allowed to mention other Simulation games by title or Company that wasn't EA or the Sims?

There does not seem to be a rule for it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top