Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Life by You vs. Sims 5 (Rene)? Rod Humble and Paradox's Life Simulation Game

Comments

• Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,401 Member
    edited April 2023
    deleted
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    edited April 2023
    Deleted.
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    deleted
    Post edited by simmerorigin on
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,336 EA Community Manager
    edited April 2023
    A reminder, and a warning that this thread is veering off topic:

Firstly, the forum rules here also apply to Life By You, Paralives, etc.
    • Don't post anything that references adult materials. This includes linking to adult-themed mods for games. We've got young gamers on here, too.
    • Keep content clean and appropriate. Players of all ages see EA Forums, this is true even for T and M rated games. Make sure that any posts or images you use, or any websites you link, are in line with the EA Forum Rules & Guidelines below and the EA User Agreement.
    Linking articles with names like "Life by You is absolutely pro-nudity" isn't going to fly. Keep it PG.

Secondly, I've allowed these threads to stay up thus far as I was under the impression that they were meant to compare the upcoming games and offer insight to the different types of games they will be. I'm sure that Rocio is a wonderful person but I fail to see how discussion of them belongs in this thread unless they are sharing something of merit to the topic.

In short, please keep your posts PG and on topic, don't just share anything because it's Paralives/Life by You adjacent.

Thanks.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,234 Member
    edited April 2023
    That's the main problem of the rating system, "Teen" video games can't talk about "adult" topics that Teen TV series are allowed to tell.

Technically Life simulation games can't talk about real life, teens are treated like children.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Comparison of the color customization in the prototypes for Project Rene and LBY:

ene7g8r4wup8.png
    3xp1kv6cdzpt.png
    Project Rene
    • Select hue via color wheel, then refine color in the triangle "play" symbol
    • Switch between customizable sections of the object
    • Pattern customization

9he6w964tdqk.png
    bz4vj7wxf8fo.png
    LBY
    • Initial section from a palette of colors
    • Ability to save custom colors
    • Color refinement after initial selection

Personally, I think I like Project Rene's a bit better. I just wish there was an auto-generated palette of "frequently used colors" that we can quickly refer back to for matching purposes. I wouldn't want to keep copying and pasting color codes.

I prefer separate saturation and brightness sliders in LBY over the triangle play button of Project Rene.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    That's the main problem of the rating system, "Teen" video games can't talk about "adult" topics that Teen TV series are allowed to tell.

Technically Life simulation games can't talk about real life, teens are treated like children.

That depends on what you mean by teen shows .There some teen shows that are rated ma and others are rated tv 14.Also there is phenomenon there shows that stars teenagers like Euphoria , but our not meant for teens .There for adults.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    For example Degrassi series is 13 and up.
    Degrassi is a great show for teens as well as adults. It deals with many important issues including teen pregnancy, homosexuality, losing family members, drug abuse, bullying, puberty.

Life By You seems to be a little more "mature" than The Sims about the drinks, I'm not sure about the other topics.
  • Options
    pacer1965pacer1965 Posts: 79 Member

What I'm hoping for, however, are dynamic animations between characters that make them feel alive. I want the best from Sims 2
    • meaningful idle animations
    • status animations representing low needs or a state of distress
    • automatic animations of Sims recognizing and acknowledging each others' presence
    • animations that SHOW emotion. SHOW emotion, don't TELL emotion (specifically criticizing TS4 emotion system)
    [/quote]

That's what I miss the most.The little sims people from Sims 2
  • Options
    Iguess66Iguess66 Posts: 115 Member
    I'm just so glad we're finally getting options as life sim players. What I hope for most is deep interactions, consequence and drama.

I think the issue with Sims 4, or at least one of the issues is that it is watered down and childish which hasn't really changed even with the expansions and updates. So my hopes for Rene aren't very high.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    Don't think I'll be too disappointed if this dialogue editor doesn't make it to Sims 5.

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited April 2023
    Don't think I'll be too disappointed if this dialogue editor doesn't make it to Sims 5.

I'm a little confused on that feature.
    Can I make custom dialogue for a particular sim and it will be only available for that sim, because I would like that.
    That way, at least some of the sims will seem a little more unique.

If everyone uses it, you might get a little tired of seeing it all the time, especially if doesn't seem like a common response most characters would use.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited April 2023
    troshalom wrote: »
    I caved. I preordered...

I know it's almost never, ever a good idea to put money on a game before it's even out. But I won't lie about the not-so-insignificant component of spite involved in my decision. There's an unacceptable level of bugs and glitches in The Sims 4. And the game does not appear to be made by folks who have a passion for detail, especially of late.

The Sims 4 is in hospice care, and I won't be attending the funeral.

Just to level set expectations. You paid for Early Access, meaning it won't be the full game. Which means there will invariably be tons of bugs and lots of play that is not yet in the game, but will be available when the game releases about September 2024. (since you pre-ordered Early Access you will get the full game on release).

Just don't want you to be surprised if you run into a ton of bugs in LbY, because it will be an incomplete product.

I pre-ordered too. It was fully explained what you will be getting upon ordering it. Right now, to me, it sounds very much like The Sims 2 mixed up with The Sims 3. Exactly what I have wanted for years! Yes, it's looking rather rough at the present as far as the people "look" but it's very early. We will be able to mod the "look", I'm sure.

My sims in my ts2 game, which I am still playing, look nothing like the sims that come out of the box. They are heavily modded with custom eyes, skins and hair, but their behavior in that game is what keeps me playing that game. That is all Maxis, at least the Maxis that existed at that point in time. Rod Humble was part of that team. That speaks volumes to me. That is why I've pre-ordered. Also, Rod's exuberant excitement in the video that I saw was infectious. He reminded me of a kid on Christmas morning.

I'm looking forward to September 12.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    cleo224 wrote: »
    This game looks to be just what I wanted TS4 to be... so I am so glad that I stumbled upon this !! I will be watching to see how this turns out. I want to play the game the way I WANT TO, but I always end up doing the things TS4 wants me to do. I love the customization abilities for the world, objects and this looks like my cup of tea!

I really love the customization of the world. It's like Sims 3 but better.

What I'm hoping for, however, are dynamic animations between characters that make them feel alive. I want the best from Sims 2
    • automatic animations of Sims recognizing and acknowledging each others' presence
    • animations that SHOW emotion. SHOW emotion, don't TELL emotion (specifically criticizing TS4 emotion system)

Yeah! You nailed it! That's exactly why I continue to play TS2. That behavior is the best. It's seems to me Maxis has never been able to recreate a Sim and their ability to make them feel like living creatures since that game. I'm hoping PBY will bring that back to life. At least, that's my hope and dream.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited April 2023
    I wonder if there'll be any beginning lore in LBY. I've never been a big fan of the premades in the Sims but I know it's important to a lot of players.

I love premades and I LOVE preset storylines like they had in TS2. I really hope they will have some premades to play with already in the game.

Sometimes I don't want to create my own and I just want to play and I don't want to pretend everything that this person is, that's why I like a story behind them. To me it makes them feel more alive and "real" and not just created today, 0 days old but an adult. If you know what I mean :D
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    If LBY really does release without the charm and whimsy of The Sims and with no intention of ever including properly done occults I'm out too. I wouldn't like it if there were no occults, but I might come around in time. But without the other...nope.

That may create a split in the genre's audience between those who want more realism versus whimsy. SimCity, for instance, has always had a mix of realistic and silly disasters -- the silly including rampaging monsters and UFOs. Cities Skylines, on the other hand, only has realistic ones. Personally, it would be nice if the core game were 'normal' and people could add occult features through packs and such: that would accommodate both.

• Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,856 Member
    edited April 2023
    @Smellincoffee I've always felt like the realism argument has had more to do with the inclusion of occult sims than it has the funny/whimsical aspect. I don't know that for a fact, but the times where the arguments for more realism have stood out to me are when the conversation turns toward occult content and that segment of the community that wants that to never exist. I'm not against turning to the mod community to get occult sims, but they don't have the depth of gameplay that developer content has. As much as I want occult gameplay I can learn to live without it, but totally removing the charming, whimsical, slightly silly aspects of the sims personalities is going too far for me.
  • Options

I agree. It's not really a core feature I would likely care about in either Sims 5 or LBY.
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    If LBY really does release without the charm and whimsy of The Sims and with no intention of ever including properly done occults I'm out too. I wouldn't like it if there were no occults, but I might come around in time. But without the other...nope.

That may create a split in the genre's audience between those who want more realism versus whimsy. SimCity, for instance, has always had a mix of realistic and silly disasters -- the silly including rampaging monsters and UFOs. Cities Skylines, on the other hand, only has realistic ones. Personally, it would be nice if the core game were 'normal' and people could add occult features through packs and such: that would accommodate both.

I'm thinking the game could be normal with the ability to add vampires, witches, etc through settings. That would be the ideal situation for me, giving us the best of both worlds. B)
  • Options
    windweaver wrote: »
    cleo224 wrote: »
    This game looks to be just what I wanted TS4 to be... so I am so glad that I stumbled upon this !! I will be watching to see how this turns out. I want to play the game the way I WANT TO, but I always end up doing the things TS4 wants me to do. I love the customization abilities for the world, objects and this looks like my cup of tea!

I really love the customization of the world. It's like Sims 3 but better.

Yeah! You nailed it! That's exactly why I continue to play TS2. That behavior is the best. It's seems to me Maxis has never been able to recreate a Sim and their ability to make them feel like living creatures since that game. I'm hoping PBY will bring that back to life. At least, that's my hope and dream.

Yes. We know from developer comments that Sims 2 was built on the original Will Wright Sims 1 engine. For Sims 3 and 4, the engine was scrapped and built up from scratch. I think that's a relevant fact.
  • Options
    I wonder if there'll be any beginning lore in LBY. I've never been a big fan of the premades in the Sims but I know it's important to a lot of players.

I love premades and I LOVE preset storylines like they had in TS2. I really hope they will have some premades to play with already in the game.

Sometimes I don't want to create my own and I just want to play and I don't want to pretend everything that this person is, that's why I like a story behind them. To me it makes them feel more alive and "real" and not just created today, 0 days old but an adult. If you know what I mean :D

It's the reason why I never became attached to any of the TS3 or TS4 premades.

For Sims 5, they seem to be focusing on narrative design via public job postings. I hope this key hire is knowledgeable regarding Sims lore, town interconnectedness and dynamics, and backstories. This will be a deciding factor on how well I rate Sims 5 and LBY.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Instead of telling "Good morning" , just swear :p ... customization true potential ...
    the conversations could become crazy by changing a few words.

Why to write boring conversations when you can make them funny ?

Player : "I'd love to gaze at the stars with you" (Who cares ?) -> "Let's spy the neighbors together !"

NPC : "Oh ! Do you have a telescope ?"

• Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    @Smellincoffee I've always felt like the realism argument has had more to do with the inclusion of occult sims than it has the funny/whimsical aspect. I don't know that for a fact, but the times where the arguments for more realism have stood out to me are when the conversation turns toward occult content and that segment of the community that wants that to never exist. I'm not against turning to the mod community to get occult sims, but they don't have the depth of gameplay that developer content has. As much as I want occult gameplay I can learn to live without it, but totally removing the charming, whimsical, slightly silly aspects of the sims personalities is going too far for me.

Agreed. I've always liked the games' doofiness, from the very exaggerated way that TS1 sims complained about being woken up early (I can see Bob Newbie in my head doing the 'Why me?!' dance) to the little things now.
  • Options
    DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,856 Member

Agreed. I've always liked the games' doofiness, from the very exaggerated way that TS1 sims complained about being woken up early (I can see Bob Newbie in my head doing the 'Why me?!' dance) to the little things now.

It's those little things that make this so much fun. I'm all for realism but it needs to be balanced with some adorable goofiness and even some fantasy. I feel like escapism is a big reason why people get into The Sims. If any developer removes that from their life sim then I feel like they've lost a big chunk of the audience.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I'm actually pretty stoked for LBY after watching the announcement video. And I am going to preorder it just so I can check it out. The pixel folks in LBY are a bit stiff looking but after what we experienced in Sims3 I'm willing to overlook certain things and explore LBY with an open mind. The fact LBY will come to us ready to be modded tells me the developers know their prospective audience wants choices, and I'm all for having choices. Granted, we saw a bare bones snippet of everything that is in LBY, but what I saw piqued my interest. As far as paying for DLC goes, I have no problem with that since I have been paying for DLC for twenty years. That happens when you play games. I purchased everything EA offered up for Sims1,2 and 3. Not so much for Sims4. I have actually spent less money on Sims4 DLC because of all the problems I encountered with new packs and updates.

The fact Mr. Humble was part of the team responsible for SC5 and it failed, means very little years later because we don't know the full story behind that failed attempt. It isn't a secret EA hates to spend money on producing a quality product, and that is very obvious in how Sims4 has failed to meet players' expectations in the past few years. In my mind, dragging the past into my decision making is not an option.

The open world, the many forms of transportation, the building options, the customization tools for building, decor and even conversation dialogs, has me wanting to see even more of what is in this base game. And we have to remember the game is still in the development phase. There's no way of knowing what the Early Access game will turn out to be. But after seeing the beach with boats, pixel folk sunbathing and a volleyball net, a girl playing with a dog and a child in a home with what I assume to be family members, yeah, I'm excited to play LBY. Those are all in the base game. During the video they stated that there won't be rabbit hole venues. Our pixel folks will have access to every building. Then they showed how players can set up their own neighborhoods. CAW in a base game? Mind blown.

Sims5/Project Rene is a few years away from being released. But my mind was already made up that I won't be moving forward with the Sims franchise before I knew about LBY. I'll be sticking with Sims4 and if LBY turns out to be as good as it looks, I will have two different life simulation games to play. Gosh, I really love having choices.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top