Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Growing Together Negative Thread

Comments

• Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,308 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    How will sibling rivalries play out will they play out at all unless player forced like it already is what new activities and behaviors with unique animations were added to support this feature if any or is the best to expect a child stomping angerly with no game play beyond that everything else showed a true loving relationship.

It could work the same way as usual : Negative moodlets but no autonomous negative interactions and still friendly behavior.
  • Options
    sireneilessireneiles Posts: 67 Member
    I was hyped when i first saw the official trailer then i watched the "gameplay" trailer and all my hopes vanished.

Usually, when you explain or introduce something, there's this saying that goes "Show, don't tell" for a very good reason. No one really care what they are told unless they've seen it firsthand. It's especially important in the gaming industry. And even more for a product you're about to pay 40 dollars.

During that 2 minutes "gameplay" trailer i, like many others, saw big fancy titles and notifications that inform the player what the relationship between 2 sims is like... so we got the "tell" part... but where was the "show" ? Where were the animations ? The consequences of those big fancy titles and compatibility thing ? The gameplay linked to the "tell" part ? It was, you guessed it, nowhere to be found.

I strongly believe they're trying to get away with the littlest amount of content possible. They found the perfect strategy. Add a new base game lifestage, surf on the "feminine/motherly" (baby shower, cute items) hype to introduce a product that doesn't require much work to produce to secure the sales. (They know it doesn't require much coding to create a new event or introduce a new title like "in law ". In fact, modders have been doing it in a day of work) Pretend there is "so much more!" despite us knowing full well that what they did show in the trailer is basically it, re-use animations from older packs (like the pillow fight and the bike) and voilà !

• Options
    RandomTokenCodeRandomTokenCode Posts: 184 Member
    edited February 2023
    We all count on the budget in the right place, which is the guarantee of complete and sound gameplay. However, I think most of the productivity is devoted to infants. More than half of all the new assets in the trailer are about the new life stage. It will be a great surprise if they can make some subtle animation for the family interaction except for infants. "Not all images in-game" turns out to be a desperate announcement to me now because it implies that what details I have noticed should be a trailer trick. We get less content from this pack than the trailer which shows a little indeed.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,353 Member
    Speaking of "not all images in-game", do we know for sure if the dropdown menu where they set family dynamics per sim will be part of the regular gameplay? I wouldn't put it past them to hide this tool somewhere in the cheats menu.
    Currently playing: Castaway Challenge
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    do we know for sure if the dropdown menu where they set family dynamics per sim will be part of the regular gameplay?

It's a part of CAS UI when you set the relationship.

fb7hjwxpfpod.jpg5izsk6pn4d6l.jpg

• Options
    AdiAdi Posts: 6 New Member
    I have a feeling it will end up being extremely shallow
  • Options
    CiralindeCiralinde Posts: 81 Member
    sireneiles wrote: »
    I strongly believe they're trying to get away with the littlest amount of content possible.

It does feel like this. HSY was such a let down for me personally - in contrast to the werewolves pack. I would consider myself a very laid-back simmer, I'm not asking for much, but I do like quality. They can have free-reign and they can follow their vision. I honestly didn't mind the infamous Batuu pack either, they seemed very excited about it - and it really shows in what they had to offer us.

Consistency and quality is important. You want to make a nice holistically themed pack, one that ties everything together (and maybe, put all child/family related gameplay in a single pack next time). If there's a tight budget, perhaps make the packs smaller and more condensed, but please make sure they're well-integrated. If we're to be given another 20 packs, it seems to me the team has lost vision and if their heart's not in it, and perhaps work isn't so great over there anymore (don't know, I hope they still like it), this game is going to experience a steep decline from here on out.

And to add an unpopular opinion, it may be that what the sims team likes, is not necessarily what the community wants. This discrepancy can also lead to some mediocre packs (like clutter and laundry packs, I'm sorry to say...) I mean, the community is unnecessarily harsh sometimes. It is so much easier to criticize something than it is to create or build something.
  • Options
    do we know for sure if the dropdown menu where they set family dynamics per sim will be part of the regular gameplay?

It's a part of CAS UI when you set the relationship.

fb7hjwxpfpod.jpg5izsk6pn4d6l.jpg

Hm, that's both good and bad. Good, because sims will hopefully behave more in-character when in a conversation. And of course for everyone who plays with free will. But also bad, because the trailer suggested that the dynamics also applied to out-of-household family members like the visiting grandfather. I'll definitely watch the lifestream with great interest, this mechanic could be potentially huge for a micromanager like myself.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    But also bad, because the trailer suggested that the dynamics also applied to out-of-household family members like the visiting grandfather.

2 scenarios :

1) The grandfather and his daughter were the previous played household when she was a child.
    2) The grandfather was in this household when it was created in CAS.

That's why the trailer didn't show this menu with the grandfather.

But there is a 3rd scenario, CAS is set "Family Dynamic" by default so the game could adjust it automatically based on the current relationship.
  • Options
    JustinB113JustinB113 Posts: 1,050 Member
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    I don’t like the trailer family at all and I saw maybe one interesting premade in the whole trailer.
    They all just look like random generated townies to me. The mother of the family is wearing the most basic base game heels and I’m probably just going to delete this family. I know most people don’t care but the premade/trailer sims are one of the things I look forward to.

I have changed my mind on this somewhat. I really like the father and son, and the grandpa too. Mom and infant still a little meh to me... but the son looked really good in the latest trailer. I don’t think I will delete this family 😬.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,027 Member
    We're getting 12 lots, which the same as Copperdale and Henford. I hate how we're getting smaller and smaller worlds. Even if we have off-lot attractions like Copperdale's carnival, it makes it very hard to customize the world in a way I like it.

With Brindleton Bay, I have enough room to make several families and several different community lots. It's not a whole lot (only 16 lots altogether), but I can make a town that feels alive, with recognizable faces and good places to visit. With 12 or less, I have to compromise between making the world customized and interesting, or making it feel alive with my sim neighbors.
    ugMcxZk.jpeg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    But also bad, because the trailer suggested that the dynamics also applied to out-of-household family members like the visiting grandfather.

2 scenarios :

1) The grandfather and his daughter were the previous played household when she was a child.
    2) The grandfather was in this household when it was created in CAS.

That's why the trailer didn't show this menu with the grandfather.

But there is a 3rd scenario, CAS is set "Family Dynamic" by default so the game could adjust it automatically based on the current relationship.

Yes, these are all possibilities and I'm interested which approach they took.

What I meant in the part you quoted is that the trailer made it look as if we could adjust dynamics on the spot. This sim knocks at my currently played household's door, asking to temporarily move in, then the game stops and asks "by the way, Enki, you haven't played this sim since updating your game (or ever), what exactly is his family dynamic with your active household?". And that much control sounded way too good to be true!
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited February 2023
    I didn't hate the content of the trailer, but something about it didn't sit quite right with me.

The infants don't sit right with me. :/ How many babies sit that way, like, all the time? Their coochies are dragging the floor. Occasionally, if an infant is reaching up for something, they might get on their knees. The rest of the time, they tend to fall on their bottoms. They use their diapers like airbags.

Otherwise, I can't tell what is the genuine 'hook' of this EP. I saw a lot of interactions that should have been present on the day that TS4 launched, not nine years later. I hope that the team is holding back the goodies for the livestream.

ETA: I'll be annoyed if there's still no doorbell after how many times the doorbell rang in that trailer! Oh, and no baby seats?

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,424 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    ETA: I'll be annoyed if there's still no doorbell after how many times the doorbell rang in that trailer! Oh, and no baby seats?

They did show baby seat, I think it was the same one we have for toddlers. Unless you meant something like the car baby seats that sims can use to carry their babies around.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,693 Member
    Well, why would we expect a game, where all elders are able to run on a treadmill, to get the infants 100% correct? I thin k I'll find the small ones to be more accurate than their grandparents.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Oh, and no baby seats?

In fact the Infants are too old (12 months ?) to keep them in it. The Sims 4 would need younger babies.

babybj11.jpg

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited February 2023

In fact the Infants are too old (12 months ?) to keep them in it. The Sims 4 would need younger babies.

Are you sure about that? Those infants are big enough to be a year old, for sure. However, from their movements (especially the clip from the Sim Summit and Tummy Time on the lawn), they seem younger than that. At the least, they seem young enough to require a seat of their own with a belt and a crossbar (I meant something with leg holes) to keep them from scootching and falling out of it.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    Still no canes for elders so it seems? Another oversight imo.

It's not that every elder walks with a cane, but to have the option to give some elders a cane would have been great for immersion.....
  • Options
    Onesie for Infant, Toddler and Child. But nothing for teen and young adult ?

The Sims FreePlay have it for almost a decade.

• Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    We all know our Sims, you can have two Sims with full love and friendship bar on the same lot and it can go a full day without them interact with each other. In which way will this new realtionship setting change that? Also when selling a product you start with the strongest selling points to really get the customer on board. Did the gameplay video really showed their best selling points?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    It’s concerning that the gurus are being all ‘yeah you might not like the world but we have so much culture in our build buy and CAS’. For the first time I’m starting to doubt this pack, if that’s their priority and not good gameplay.

Most people just want fun game and nice stuff. Stuff every player can use. Not stuff that’s going to please a few thousand people while everyone else never uses it and the game is broken for them. Culture in premade sims that over half the playerbase are going to delete on the first day isn’t a major selling point of a pack. The rest of the game has still got to be good.

Thought they would have learnt this with ‘high school years’ and ‘my wedding stories’ when they neglected the ‘high school’ and ‘weddings’ part in favour of ‘culture’. Bad reviews and seemingly bad sales. Should just focus on making things most people are going to love.
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited February 2023
    Many people from different cultures play the sims, so what makes you think "just a few thousands" want Sims with different cultural backgrounds? There is almost no muslim representation in the game for example. I wanted to make a traditional muslim family and I hardly found any suitable clothing, so they all kind of ended up wearing the same clothes in different swatches and combinations. There aren't many hijabs in game either, none for kids. Had to get CC for that.

I'd be really sad if I was muslim and wanted to play my Simself for example, dress myself traditionally and couldn't.

So I am always happy for more cultural representation. Representation is so important.

I am white and Christian. So there is plenty of representation for myself in the game.

But I've suffered from acne for most of my life and it just gave me such a powerful feeling that Simmers got MODS so their Sims could get acne, and that Simmers started making Sims with custom skins looking like acne and called them beautiful.

I know this is, of course, different from Muslim representation and I don't want to compare being Muslim with having acne. But it's all about the representation in the end. It empowers people.

So you might not like "much culture" and delete the premades, but many other people will feel empowered and be happy playing with them.
  • Options
    Many people from different cultures play the sims, so what makes you think "just a few thousands" want Sims with different cultural backgrounds? There is almost no muslim representation in the game for example. I wanted to make a traditional muslim family and I hardly found any suitable clothing, so they all kind of ended up wearing the same clothes in different swatches and combinations. There aren't many hijabs in game either, none for kids. Had to get CC for that.

I'd be really sad if I was muslim and wanted to play my Simself for example, dress myself traditionally and couldn't.

So I am always happy for more cultural representation. Representation is so important.

I am white and Christian. But I've suffered from acne for most of my life and it just gave me such a powerful feeling that Simmers got MODS so their Sims could get acne, and that Simmers started making Sims with custom skins looking like acne and called them beautiful.

I know this is, of course, different from Muslim representation and I don't want to compare being Muslim with having acne. But it's all about the representation in the end. It empowers people.

I would imagine most muslims would rather have an exciting world and good gameplay than a couple of hijabs and a buggy broken game in yet another willow creek because the devs spent all their efforts on culture.

Also they shouldn’t sell culture anyway. If representation is truly important to the developers then there should be a diverse range of it in the base game and Muslims shouldn’t have to pay extra to make their sim selves.

My issue isn’t with the culture, so much as it’s with putting out low effort packs and then saying ‘oh but look, we have pronouns in the trailer’..
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited February 2023
    JustinB113 wrote: »
    Also they shouldn’t sell culture anyway. If representation is truly important to the developers then there should be a diverse range of it in the base game and Muslims shouldn’t have to pay extra to make their sim selves.

My issue isn’t with the culture, so much as it’s with putting out low effort packs and then saying ‘oh but look, we have pronouns in the trailer’..

Yes, you've got a good point there.

BTW, does anyone know if we have pronouns in our German Sims game? I think we don't?
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    Oh, and no baby seats?

babybj11.jpg

I could have sworn one of the promotional pictures was of an infant sitting in a Bumbo. If that's an actual b/b item, and not just promotional art, I will be perfectly happy with that.