Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should marriages allow more partners?

Comments

• Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Monogomous (two people only)
    I don't think the game would have to be rated different. After all, the game had a lot of mature suggestive behaviors to it already. It is a fantasy game inwhich the concept of marriage has become trivial enough as it is.

A new wedding pack to celebrate a relationship status that has no sim benefit but added sim penalties doesn't make much sense to me.

I guess before the question on polygamy was asked, perhaps we should have asked the question; what is the point of marriage in the Sims to begin with?

I personally wish there was more benefit to marriage in the game. For instance; from the start, you create a family, set relationship to marriage and go to place them in the world but have the same starting funds of a single sim. So if you start with a family of 4 a starter house isn't going to be practical. Add more children a the start and forget it. Again, that's just the start of the game.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,419 Member
    edited February 2022
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Unless EA ups the rating of this game to M for mature in the US, I don't think we should have polygamous relationships. Cause if we do, I expect some new woohoo options.

Just so you know the thread this is a response to. That's the response of an reply from a SimGru. So please check the first post of the other thread that OP linked too! I will see if I can post the same twitter reply here

4vHyrSy.png

I know why this thread was made and I answered the poll. EA would need to make this game alot more mature than the current rating to make having more than one spouse worth it to me.

not really, if a SimGru replied and they never mentioned a peep of the fact the game would need to be more mature to allow it. Or maybe we should tweet the same SimGru?

Why do people think that allowing more then spouse means the game would have to be M rated? This is the 5th time I have seen something like this. (the first 3 times was before the tweet).

That's my opinion, hence why I said to make it worth it FOR ME. Obviously that's not the answer you're looking for though. But hey, that's my opinion.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited February 2022
    Polygamous (morevth
    Unless EA ups the rating of this game to M for mature in the US, I don't think we should have polygamous relationships. Cause if we do, I expect some new woohoo options.

Just so you know the thread this is a response to. That's the response of an reply from a SimGru. So please check the first post of the other thread that OP linked too! I will see if I can post the same twitter reply here

4vHyrSy.png

I know why this thread was made and I answered the poll. EA would need to make this game alot more mature than the current rating to make having more than one spouse worth it to me.

not really, if a SimGru replied and they never mentioned a peep of the fact the game would need to be more mature to allow it. Or maybe we should tweet the same SimGru?

Why do people think that allowing more then spouse means the game would have to be M rated? This is the 5th time I have seen something like this. (the first 3 times was before the tweet).

Something something "breaking traditional marriage stigmas"

As if that was a valid excuse that Sims can only marry one spouse bc of that... Many countries (around 55 or so to be exact) have polygamy as legal, and interestingly all but one are in Africa or Asia, and some of those countries Sims 4 is illegal in.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    edited March 2022
    Deleted
    Post edited by Kironide on
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,260 Member
    edited February 2022
    Kironide wrote: »
    Isn't the point that in Europe, the Americas, Australasia and much of South East Asia (where there game is mostly sold) polygamy is illegal hence the need for a mature rating.

Hacking, Human Cloning and Criminal career are also illegal :p
  • Options
    At the time of this posting, we have hit the threshold of a legitimate poll having over 100 people voting and the clear majority say monogamous marriage.

60% Monogamy
    40% Polygamy

So though this isn't an sanctioned poll it seems pretty clear to me where the play base stands.

Being unsanctioned means that I don't even know if the gurus will be made aware of it or not. But it is now officially a part of the public record so we'll see how this goes.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Polyamory is not likely to bump up the game rating and I'm not sure why people are so sure it would. You can already have cheating of all sorts, and the game is not suddenly rated M. I think it's more a matter of AI just not being that good.
  • Options
    Isn't the point that in Europe, the Americas, Australasia and much of South East Asia (where there game is mostly sold) polygamy is illegal hence the need for a mature rating.

If such issues are not relevant then why do we have juice and not alcohol, why do we not see more explicit sexual activity? Or more extreme violence? Besides, I never said there wasn't hypocrisy in the game.
  • Options
    Felicity wrote: »
    Polyamory is not likely to bump up the game rating and I'm not sure why people are so sure it would. You can already have cheating of all sorts, and the game is not suddenly rated M. I think it's more a matter of AI just not being that good.

True, cheating is fun and funny, especially when it involves a scarecrow. 😉 😉
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    @Kironide wrote: »

If such issues are not relevant then why do we have juice and not alcohol, why do we not see more explicit sexual activity? Or more extreme violence?

It's not about "illegal", it's Teen rated. In Germany it's 6 years old, the game must stay child friendly.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    @Kironide wrote: »

If such issues are not relevant then why do we have juice and not alcohol, why do we not see more explicit sexual activity? Or more extreme violence?

It's not about "illegal", it's Teen rated. In Germany it's 6 years old, the game must stay child friendly.

Actually. the game rating systems are based on the laws of each country. Different ratings for different countries because each country have different laws regrading the sale, advertising and the depiction of individuals consuming alcohol. In the US it illegal in some states to buy alcohol before the age of 21. In the UK it is 18, thus it can't be shown in the teen rated game. So EA get around the problem it by calling it juice. Alcohol of course is not the only factor involved in a rating, but its a good example of one.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2022
    I answered no because what is the point of it? Sims can already do things in front of their spouses and the betrayed do nothing about it.

So what is this need for players to have this all sanctioned by Maxis?

Or is it about wanting Maxis to write code for more than one partner during woohoo?

Because cheating Sims in TS4 suffer no repercussions for their betrayal and the spouse is very welcoming in most cases to be friends with the third party so what's the point of having this all as options where Sims wouldn't mind if the spouse is involved with the first or second and or third etc. Because other than multi woohoo what is the point of more than one spouse when Sims don't have to pay out anything, or suffer any recourse already and or have to earn a living to support a larger spouse base and or anything at all. Or cover Sims with insurance coverage, and or divide household properties and or give one Sim more attention than another (even with friends) and or even leave inheritances which might have to include spouse before any other Sim. Basically, it's already in the game with hardly any drama and or any kind of consequences or jealousy or whatever. What happens to a jealous trait if Sims have more than one spouse. I thought later generations (much younger than mine) don't get married anyway, anymore, so I'm probably not understanding why the need to ask Maxis to sanction more than one spouse at a time since TS4 Sims have very little regard for the one they already have. I mean we have been begging Maxis for a faithful trait for years. (that actually works would be nice).

I think I know what all this is about and why I say no, because honestly it's already how TS4 plays already. Nothing is honored and or protected and or admired nor remains faithful in this game. It's already been sanctioned by Maxis to the point the betrayed do nothing (not even ask for a divorce) when cheated on but very willing play the doormat for a Sim who has dreams of some type of harems. As I said in another thread about this no thanks, my females won't play second fiddle for anyone. We have a saying, whole hog or none.

Nothing at all is gained other than Maxis giving a nod to more than one partner which comes down to a political statement rather than actual gameplay.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    In term of storytelling and fantasy, people should be able to create an alien queen with many human husbands for example.

I dislike when Maxis force me to obey to their rules.
    Not everybody want The Sims be the same cage as real life.

The lack of imagination and fantasy is a bad thing for the franchise.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    It would make for some good story telling.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    The most famous vampire of all time had 3 wives, how come Dracula is the only vampire allowed to have polygamy?
  • Options
    IblisTriggerIblisTrigger Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 2022
    Polygamous (morevth
    A harem option with an emperor gameplay.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited February 2022
    This sounds more like something that should be done in a mod instead. Polygamous marriages are not legal in the USA, but there are some Mormon sects that still practice this today (see the reality show Sister Wives). Open relationships should be part of the game though, (ie no jealousy when "cheating") although I would never do this in real life. Besides, once open relationships are added, modders could easily add a type of marriage, if we really want to see THREE or more people at the altar. Even some marriages still have open relationships. However, as a side effect, Sims in open relationships would not be able to "Try for Baby" while in an open relationship (as an assumption they would be using protection).

On the other hand, a double wedding should be part of the game for sure. (Especially for twins getting married).
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited February 2022
    Isn't the point that in Europe, the Americas, Australasia and much of South East Asia (where there game is mostly sold) bigamy is illegal hence the need for a mature rating.

Bank robberies are also illegal, as is driving a car through a mall to elude police (thanks Blues Brothers). It is sad that as much gore as you want can be found on TV and movies, but the moment you add any sexual element including intimate scenes that show nothing, people scream and it gets slapped with "mature" or "R" ratings. Even occasional curse words alone change the rating from G to PG. (Though I certainly can see the justification of restricting a show that drops f-bombs and the like every other sentence or paragraph - usually lazy writing on those too.) Might have something to do with the majority religion around here. Meanwhile, violence goes up, and the marriage rate and length goes down.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    Isn't the point that in Europe, the Americas, Australasia and much of South East Asia (where there game is mostly sold) bigamy is illegal hence the need for a mature rating.

Bank robberies are also illegal, as is driving a car through a mall to elude police (thanks Blues Brothers). It is sad that as much gore as you want can be found on TV and movies, but the moment you add any sexual element including intimate scenes that show nothing, people scream and it gets slapped with "mature" or "R" ratings. Even occasional curse words alone change the rating from G to PG. (Though I certainly can see the justification of restricting a show that drops f-bombs and the like every other sentence or paragraph - usually lazy writing on those too.) Might have something to do with the majority religion around here. Meanwhile, violence goes up, and the marriage rate and length goes down.

I'm not totally clear on your point. If it's that there's hypocrisy in the systems that make the laws, then, I agree, as I indicated before.

However, I maintain that laws are what determines the rating for the game.

Also, at the at the end of the Blues Brothers, both Elwood and Jake are arrested and jailed for their crimes, so I would say that its not a good example of proving hypocrisy in the legal system, or the culture of one of the societies that created those laws.
  • Options
    CrazyMotherCoolCrazyMotherCool Posts: 17 Member
    Definitely monogamous but they can add the polyamory option, sort of big love with spouse and official side chick
  • Options
    PalabraPalabra Posts: 70 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    I'm actually surprised that this broke down 60/40 in favor of monogamy. To me, it seems obvious that polygamy should be in the game. "Play with life," right? People make all kinds of families in real life. I do understand the concerns of those who worry that it may require a complete overhaul to the romance and jealousy systems, though, and want the devs to focus on other things first - especially since polyamory is already in the game.

I played a guy with 2 wives once. I put him in CAS, made 2 ladies and 1 kid from each lady, but didn't have any of them "married." It worked out alright. There was some jealousy to contend with. It would have been nice to have had him officially married to both, but the family trucked along quite nicely. It was useful to have 3 parents around, actually. Made toddlerhood easier. I gave each adult their own room, and that kind of made the jealousy thing easier. I would prefer to be able to tweak jealousy a bit more, though, like have it reduced for sims in polyamorous or polygamous relationships. Still, it was a fun save. Cute little family. Hmm. I wonder what happened to them...? Maybe I'll make one of my current simmies have a second spouse and see how that goes. Honestly, apart from worrying about the devs breaking the game while trying to program in more complicated family setups, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want it in the game. You wouldn't have to make your sims polygamous or polyamorous if you didn't want to play that way. It would just be an extra option. It could even make a fun challenge scenario! I'm always game for more gameplay options!
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Id have no problems with poly relationships.....if I didnt think it might break the game! My only worry is that the more sims you involve in something the more buggy it seems to get.
    Although I also think it would be fun to play a family who lived in an off the grid commune and just did what they d**ned well wanted!LOL
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,398 Member
    I'm down with it as long as we still have a choice for Sims to be married to only 1 sim. Now it would be fine for your Don Lothario types.
  • Options
    SayNoToGnomesSayNoToGnomes Posts: 44 Member
    I voted for just one purely because I just foresee the game breaking (I mean, at this moment in time they probably wouldn't even be able to have a wedding in the first place lol) , but I think it would be a good addition to the game for multiple spouses.
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,366 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    I'm already using the "player" trait (added with a cheat code) to play a committed poly-amorous quad who all live together in one house. It would be nice if they had the option of getting married. And when I am playing with aliens or vampires especially, I'd like some other kinds of marriage arrangement options. But not having those options isn't a deal breaker for me, obviously, since I just make up the story in my head anyway. As long as there is a way (player trait) to prevent jealousy so sims can openly have more than one partner, I'm content.

If a multi-sim marriage option were added, I would use it. But first, they really need to make weddings actually function well. Even the base game version has been kind of annoying to use because sims don't stay seated during the ceremony.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".