Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should marriages allow more partners?

We've been having this debate at this thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/997359/should-having-multiple-spouses-be-an-option/p4#Comment_18055644 so I thought I'd put it to an actual vote and see where the community stands.

Should marriages allow more partners? 165 votes

Monogomous (two people only)
53%
EvvieSimmerrudy8292Icewolfalexspoom13alan650111SimmervilleoveronpurplereignPlayerSinger2010SimsILikeSimsCrazyMotherCoolIsb917SimburianAlainar415bobbleheadsmommyasa144simgirl1010friendlysimmersrobyngravesAeroprincess87 89 votes
Polygamous (morevth
46%
JeanGRIMMYMadameLeeStormkeepkeekee53babajaynePalabraSnuffyBucketheiblumeMariefoxprice83DevSims91luthienrisingsekojranamueller_litegreydonnpajamajam07MilutinMujovictaydevelelunicyGemSixx 76 votes

Comments

• PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    My fat fingers on my little phone keyboard hit the wrong button. Anyway, Polygamous is more than two partners. It wouldn't let me edit the options.
  • Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 451 Member
    Poly is already in game. I don't think marriage should be apart of that. It isn't necessary. It is very likely to break the game as well.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    kaylin205 wrote: »
    Poly is already in game. I don't think marriage should be apart of that. It isn't necessary. It is very likely to break the game as well.

There's a huge different between having a three way or more relationship which is polymerous and having more then one spouse . Please could people stop confusing the two? The only word they have in common is the first four letters. Yes traditionally the "more then one spouse" is normally women. But in our own game we could have it be one woman having more then one male husband. Or it could be a mix of a spouse having more then one husband or one wife regardless of their gender. Like if we want to who couldn't say if we played with the option a woman couldn't be married to both a man and a woman at the same time? Just because if an option is added doesn't mean anyone HAS to play with it. It would just be an open-ended option for people to play with if they wanted too.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited February 2022
    Polygamous (morevth
    In real life I only believe in a pair of soulmates. But in game anything goes. That's the whole fun. Having all types of sims good and bad living different realities and aspects of life. So why not have more options? Infact some of the most fun I've had in this game is doing things I would never do in real life. Like clubbing. Never been to one and never will but I have this sim who is club obsessed and we have a blast in there. Why would I need to live out my real life in a video game? Games are supposed to be adventurous and different from your everyday reality. Sometimes they challenge your beliefs and I like that.

Edit to say people complain about ts4 being boring but that's because they try to live out boring everyday real life routines that you can get up and do yourself and complain about anything that contradicts that.
    Post edited by Babykittyjade on
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    Polygamous (morevth
    Always wanted a bed for three
  • talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    I would prefer for marriages to just stay between two people in the game right now, but if it would be optional to have more than one spouse, then I think it would be fine to have in the game. I would just like the option to turn that setting off for Sims, mostly for the NPC Sims in the game since that would get too confusing for me if they had more than one spouse. It might be fun to try out having more than one spouse on some Sims, but I personally wouldn't use that option very much. So I guess I'm kind of in the middle here?
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    I want the option to have perfectly harmonic threematings in my game, and I want those threematings to be exclusive. If Summer cheats on Liberty and Tavis with an outsider, then jealousy should kick in, but not if any of the trio romances any of the other two.

Polygamy in the sense of one sim being married to several others, with the others not being in love with each other, I wouldn't have use for, but I'm not opposed to it as a feature. You never know when it might come in handy.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited February 2022
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    Yes, poly families exist, so it should be an optional addition.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
    edited February 2022
    The Sims is a fantasy like Star Wars, Polygamy should be available.

If The Sims cared about the Human Rights, Alien Abduction (forced pregnancy) and Mind Control (slavery) would be banned.

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Thank goodness that the Sims 4 game is totally fantasy. If it was based on reality I could never play some of my sims naughty. :D>:):p
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    I mentioned this back in the other discussion thread, but since I am personally against poly relationships of any kind in real life, I'd prefer to keep it out of the game. I'm pretty traditional and I strongly believe a relationship should be between two people only.

And the only way I wouldn't be entirely opposed to marriage allowing multiple partners is if there's a way to turn the option completely off. If there is a third party in my Sims' marriage I want it to be considered cheating as that is exactly what a marriage with more than two people is to me. And I want my game to reflect my personal stance.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    I’m not totally against it. It just couldn’t interfere with how jealousy and cheating works in the game currently.

As long as all sims in the game weren’t naturally polyamorous I would be fine with it.

I almost always make the BFF household polyamorous. And have use mods to marry them.

So my answer isn’t because I’m against it. But more worried about how it would be implemented in the game.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    Of course, but it would only make sense with a fully functional attraction / relationship system. Right now sims don’t really care as much as they should.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    They would need to rework the relationship system (which has been needed for a very long time on multiple aspects) but it's totally do able and imo they should definitely do it.

For polyamory there are many different variants.

The main arrangements would probably be;
    1.) Closed, monogamous (2 peeps)
    2.) Closed, polyamorous/polygamous (3+)
    3.) Open, polamorous/polygamous (3+)

#2 would be like your typical triad/throuple but obv can extend to more.

#3 is more varied. Person A may have two spouses but those spouses may have separate romances outside of the marriage. Each of Person A's marriages are more separate/individual and less "group like" than #2's.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,961 Member
    edited February 2022
    I wouldn’t mind polygamous marriage as long as it had to be designated by the player, but quite honestly, I would much rather see them working on other things in the sims 4, like real babies, more things for children/toddlers/teens, like skate boarding, trikes and bikes. Push and pull toys for toddlers. A generations pack with something for everyone including elders….. I haven’t seen any love shown to us elders.., lol. I’d like to see a school pack, a band pack, an amusement park, malls, horses, small pets ( besides the ones we have ), a medieval pack, more hobbies…. More things to do, more worlds etc. Even occults, though I don’t much play with occults, I still buy them because of of the furniture, clothes, build, worlds, etc. that they offer. I’m actually anticipating werewolves because of the body hair our sims are likely to get before that pack. There are just a lot of other things I would like to see them working on rather than wasting their time on polygamy ( yes I consider this a waste of time because it takes away time dev’s could be working on other things ).

If you want your sim to be with several women, or men, you can already do that. Maybe they could have an option to turn jealousy off in a household, so you could play a polygamous family…. But then again I would consider that something else we wouldn’t be getting…..and from what I have seen on tv it looks like polygamous families experience jealousy too. And for me, it would lesson the fun if they took jealousy out of the game.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    It would be a good option for story telling.
    WbUrFQm.png
    Polygamous (morevth
    I want the option to have perfectly harmonic threematings in my game, and I want those threematings to be exclusive. If Summer cheats on Liberty and Tavis with an outsider, then jealousy should kick in, but not if any of the trio romances any of the other two.

Polygamy in the sense of one sim being married to several others, with the others not being in love with each other, I wouldn't have use for, but I'm not opposed to it as a feature. You never know when it might come in handy.

This is how I always wanted it to work. Because even using the no jealousy or player trait is no fun because it should be an exclusive relationship between them that doesn't include outsiders.
    edited February 2022
    7 spouses max !
    Household and Club are limited to 8 sims.

One for each day of the week :p
  • greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    7 spouses max !
    Household and Club are limited to 8 sims.

One for each day of the week :p

Pfffft. Don Lothario, that you? :D
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    Unless EA ups the rating of this game to M for mature in the US, I don't think we should have polygamous relationships. Cause if we do, I expect some new woohoo options.
    Polygamous (morevth
    Unless EA ups the rating of this game to M for mature in the US, I don't think we should have polygamous relationships. Cause if we do, I expect some new woohoo options.

Just so you know the thread this is a response to. That's the response of an reply from a SimGru. So please check the first post of the other thread that OP linked too! I will see if I can post the same twitter reply here

4vHyrSy.png

6adMCGP.gif
  • dominoes007dominoes007 Posts: 21 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    Eh, might as well give people the option. I probably wouldn't use it, but I'm sure lots of people would.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

Just so you know the thread this is a response to. That's the response of an reply from a SimGru. So please check the first post of the other thread that OP linked too! I will see if I can post the same twitter reply here

4vHyrSy.png

I know why this thread was made and I answered the poll. EA would need to make this game alot more mature than the current rating to make having more than one spouse worth it to me.
    edited February 2022
    Polygamous (morevth
    MadameLee wrote: »

4vHyrSy.png

I know why this thread was made and I answered the poll. EA would need to make this game alot more mature than the current rating to make having more than one spouse worth it to me.

not really, if a SimGru replied and they never mentioned a peep of the fact the game would need to be more mature to allow it. Or maybe we should tweet the same SimGru?

Why do people think that allowing more then spouse means the game would have to be M rated? This is the 5th time I have seen something like this. (the first 3 times was before the tweet).
    6adMCGP.gif