Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should marriages allow more partners?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    DollhouseCompanyDollhouseCompany Posts: 35 Member
    Does the game allow for multiple romantic relationships without conflict or does that require mods? This discussion just made me want to create a poly family.
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    @DollhouseCompany In the vanilla game, it really only works if all Sims involved have the Player reward trait from completing the Serial Romantic aspiration, but that lets them flirt with Sims outside the relationship too, which might not be what you have in mind. I recommend Lumpinou’s Open Love Life mod, which has a variety of different options.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    Does the game allow for multiple romantic relationships without conflict or does that require mods? This discussion just made me want to create a poly family.
    AyKooChao wrote: »
    @DollhouseCompany In the vanilla game, it really only works if all Sims involved have the Player reward trait from completing the Serial Romantic aspiration, but that lets them flirt with Sims outside the relationship too, which might not be what you have in mind. I recommend Lumpinou’s Open Love Life mod, which has a variety of different options.

While yes you can have multiple relationships, you can't marry more than one or woohoo with more than 1 sim at once, the game makes it seems like partners didn't consent.
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    @temporalgod The woohoo thing sounds like a glitch to me. :/ Are you using any other mods that affect jealousy?
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Monogomous (two people only)
    Ah, yes. I tried to make the thread a poll when I created it, but I ran into an issue. So it became the way it is currently.

I am comfortable with monogamous relationship, but I'm not against polygamy coming to the game. The game should be played the way player wants to after all.

Though in this case, I do hope for toggles whether to allow NPCs engage in polygamy on their own or not.
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    Sure, why not. It exists in the world and should be available for storytelling. I didn't know Vlad Dracula has three wives lol. Stealing is illegal too. Just because I play as a klepto sometimes and steal things in the game, doesn't mean I steal in real life. I actually know of someone who was married, then he went to the united states for work and fell in love with someone else without telling her he is already married. She proposed to him and he said yes and got married to her, without telling her about his wife in Canada. When he came back to Canada and returned to his wife with plans to eventually relocate to America, but he was too scared to tell her he met someone else and married her in the states, then he couldn't decide who he wanted to be with. So in fact, he was actually married to two women for several years, until one of his friends outed him and they both broke up with him lol. I could totally see Don Lothario ending up with two wives in different worlds in a similar story...
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    edited March 2022
    I don't honestly care about this issue one way or another. My earlier comment in this thread was exclusively about the law being instrumental in determining the game's rating, but some earlier posts from others were removed creating a false impression, please stop commenting about this, thank you.
    Post edited by Kironide on
  • Options
    ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    Oh sorry, I wasn't following the topic earlier, so I didn't see any posts from you @Kironide about the law and the rating that got removed, just other ones from other people about it being illegal here but okay in other countries, and for vampires/aliens ... backing out of the controversial now ...
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    edited March 2022
    @Elliandre

No worries, I'm not mad, just a bit frazzled. I've had several comments on this topic. :) I'm not against polygamy.
    Post edited by Kironide on
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited March 2022
    Polygamous (morevth
    ok for people whom don't know what is "allowed" in a (North American) Teen rated game the following is violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling (kind of like the game from Journey to Batu? gamepack), and/or infrequent use of strong language. I think that having more then one spouse would be under "suggestive themes" like woohoo is.

Well that's interesting I found an article which one of the things they use is Sims 4 to explain rating systems in various countries. Look up "how are age based gaming ratings set?" and the first article which pops up is what you need and scroll down

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    Why not let sims be openly polygamous!
  • Options
    davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I didn't vote; I'm not sure. IRL I'm totally traditional, but this is a game and in the end, you play the scenarios you choose. I usually play with just 2 Sims in love, but it might be neat for a storyline ever once in a while.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    Polygamy would be representation right?? LOL
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I'm already using the "player" trait (added with a cheat code) to play a committed poly-amorous quad who all live together in one house. It would be nice if they had the option of getting married. And when I am playing with aliens or vampires especially, I'd like some other kinds of marriage arrangement options. But not having those options isn't a deal breaker for me, obviously, since I just make up the story in my head anyway. As long as there is a way (player trait) to prevent jealousy so sims can openly have more than one partner, I'm content.

If a multi-sim marriage option were added, I would use it. But first, they really need to make weddings actually function well. Even the base game version has been kind of annoying to use because sims don't stay seated during the ceremony.

If they add a multi spouse option I hope they also add that to CAS so you can marry multiple sims together eg April is the wife of Tom and Larry in the relationship panel.
  • Options
    TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    Probably would need some tweaking but I think it could work. I assume selecting poly vs monogamous sims would be something like selecting gender preferences etc.

Just a subheading under marriage which should include stuff like: Men, Women, Both. And then either selecting how many sims this sim can be in a relationship with or if they're poly or not, and maybe even if they like open or closed relationships.

Then they get married to a compatible sim (or don't. Always interesting gameplay) and the jealousy settings are organised accordingly.

or maybe if it's less complicated make it a social interaction like "Ask if (insert sim here) can join relationship" and for that to work the sim in question has to have a high enough friendship with the other sim to consider it or something like that? It'd take a lot of thinking to do right but I think it can be done.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Polygamous (morevth
    I think more freedom is always better, especially when it’s just a game.

From what I have learned about poly relationships, jealousy can still occur, but it’s dealt with differently because it’s sort of expected and consented to. Not everyone can handle it. I know I couldn’t, and neither could my husband. I don’t know any marriages that have survived through bringing in others (but I’ve seen them crumble), yet, I’m sure there are some successful ones I don’t realize have this agreement. Some people make it work, even if they’re not technically married. I can see the benefit of playing out scenarios like this as a form of exploration whether it helps you decide it’s not for you, or teaches you about its challenges. Or just for entertainment.