Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your thoughts on the complaining?

Comments

• Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I just focus on the threads that interest me, there is usually a positive Thread for any (new) pack too.
    I do not mind critique, I have my own but I don't care much for venting, usually there is nothing to discuss when people just wanna vent, if that is what they need they can do it, I'll just take my business to another thread.

Luckily we can all choose where and how to spend our time.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    Positive threads or complaining threads.....I think people are passionate about the game, coming from two different spectrums of those that are happy about the new content and those that aren't. Either way isn't right or wrong as everyone is entitled to their opinions.

& a game like The Sims, which is just so diverse when it comes to gameplay styles...we all play differently, and in that we all want to see different things or themes in the game. For example, supernaturals...some Simmers love them, some hate them. So not every theme will suit every Simmer, so it's only natural IMO to have people who are super happy about what's coming or not happy.

Me personally, I don't let other people's opinions influence my feelings & it doesn't get me down if others aren't happy. I have participated in both types of threads...positivity or complaining, based on how I feel about a pack. As paying customers we have a right to speak up about what we like or don't like. Feedback....is a good thing as long as it's constructive.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    I think players have the right to vent their disappointments or joy regardless of the topic under discussion and i have certainly been vocal enough about my beliefs around series 4 not being as in depth as I would like over the years compared to other iterations of the game but then i am lucky enough to still be able to play series 1-4 whenever I feel like it so I don't have to rely on one series to satisfy my sim needs as I suspect other players might have to do. I also believe to a certain degree that if there had been no complaining EA would have continued to ignore the communities wishes as a whole so I see complaining (not attacking others for their point of view) as a positive in that respect as well. I think it's normal to get passionate either way about the game as if players didn't then they would no longer care/buy the game and in turn the game itself may come to an end for a lack of further interest. I think people who love the 4 series totally warts and all are probably just as annoying to the complainers so it is a bit of a two way street here-)

I defo think EA needs to listen to the community more in general as after all we are all customers of a very unique product it's not like we are choosing a table and chairs here and almost all of it's players/sim communities are passionate about the game wanting it to be the best it can be and looking for any excuse to support the game and buy new content whenever it comes out however if a sector of players wishes are repeatedly ignored I am afraid there is always going to be considerable backlash in the end and I think that's inevitable.

I also feel EA should devote as much effort into bug solving as it does creating new content as these days even with new content coming out that I really like the sound of my next thought is always "how many bugs will I have to resolve before I can gain any enjoyment from this pack" and it really puts me off as I want to play my game not continually be fixing it and while I appreciate our wonderful modders in our community for stepping up making our games playable lately I feel EA appears to rely on them a little too much when they should be fixing obvious bugs themselves before releasing new content in the first place. Also some players don't want to play with mods so they also deserve a game that actually works too.

While I don't personally feel sims 4 is the best among all the series of sims iterations I have accepted it is what it is and it's unlikely to change at this stage and become as in depth as it could be so I made a choice to either take it or leave it whenever I got frustrated with what i saw as lacking and in the end I chose to keep going with 4 as I had already invested enough to continue to play it now and again and there are some things about 4 that I really do like one being snow activities so if this new pack is as good as it looks I will be playing 4 more in the future but we also have to remember a lot of players will also be disappointed by this pack as well and as a fellow player I can only hope they have their own sim wishes granted as soon as possible whether I personally like that new content or not because one game cannot be all things to all players/people.

I have noticed that EA have decided to consult with several gamechangers in the sims community this time around and to be honest I am not sure how I feel about that yet but I sure wish they could maybe do the same thing with a dedicated player from this forum who could liaise between the community and EA so the sims community had a definite voice and information could go back and forth more freely than it does now as i think that would resolve a lot of issues with the community right of the bat.

I will continue to post on complaining or positive threads as I see fit because I believe that is the right of us all.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    Monaveil wrote: »
    I'm pretty sick of it too. It gets old after awhile. It's always the same people doing the bulk of the complaining so I either skip their posts or put them on ignore. There are a few people that have posted some new or interesting complaints so I can't really say that no one should ever post a complaint.

You are doing the right thing by skipping, ignoring posts you think are complaint posts which are still feedback in nature.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member
    Why do complaints bother you? It’s not like you made the game so are personally insulted by the (quite often) fair critique. Don’t take it personal. Like what you like. Let’s others like or dislike what they like. As long as people are respectful they shouldn’t be silenced because some people don’t like anything that isn’t positive.

Some people tend to forget that this post belongs to EA/Maxis and all they want to hear is good posts even if some players have negative feedback. Myself I do not go into an positive thread and post negative posts and threads like this are open game as it presents positive and negative posts.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I think complaining and being negative are two different things. It's ok to complain when we have a reason to (like Journey to Batuu) cause we love the sims and we want it to be good. Also, if we don't voice our opinions, EA will never hear them.

On the other hand, I do agree that a lot of people in the community just grew used to complaining to a point it has become an addiction. A lot of people just became haters and spread negativity about everything all the time. It's really annoying.

Yes, we can and should complain about the lack of personalities, skin tones, the half-baked packs and etc.

But we shouldn't complain about Snowy Escape, for instance, because we know nothing about it yet. Remember how the Eco Lifestyle trailer was terrible and so hated, but then the livestream came and a lot of people were blown away?? (I'm not saying the pack is good, just that there was a LOT to it that wasn't shown on the trailer).
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,908 Member
    edited October 2020
    Well they don’t bother me.
    If you have all the DLC and paid full price you must have spent hundreds of dollars (close to $800 ?) and I think when you paid that much for a game and it’s still lacking so much, including basegame features (cars for instance), you have a right to complain.....
    Post edited by Dianesims on
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited October 2020
    Are people not allowed to take issue with the game? And besides, would you rather a million complaint threads all over the forum or just one that at least encourages all the complaints to stay in one place?

Complaint threads are fine in my opinion as long as its constructive criticism, not rage fests designed to personally target certain users or at the gurus themselves. As long as the threads stay like that, then they have just as much right to exist as the threads that praise everything. A paying customer has every right to take issue with a product they paid for but fails to meet expectations.

Plus, literally no one is telling you to go inside complaint threads. If that's not an environment you want to be in, then ignoring it is both free and easy. And on a slightly unrelated note, I dont understand people that purposely go to complaint threads just to say "well I dont know why you're complaining this is a great pack yadda yadda yadda". Folks that do this, its great if you enjoy a new pack coming out, but what exactly are you trying to accomplish going into a thread for folks that arent praising the pack? Im certainly enjoying our next EP so unless the gameplay shows me info that is going to lessen my excitement, I sure as heck am not touching complaint threads.
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    HayleeSims wrote: »
    If we didn't have complaint threads and complainers in general just imagine what the sims 4 would look like. We'd probably never get toddlers, the skin tone fix, and lots of other bug fixes. Being positive all the time actually does more harm than good because it's impossible to improve and strive to be better if people are always praising your work.

This is exactly how I feel about things. You got to speak up if you want things to change. Otherwise, it's assumed that the game is perfect and we don't care if it is buggy and broken.
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Well they don’t bother me.
    If you have all the DLC and paid full price you must have spent hundreds of dollars (close to $800 ?) and I think when you paid that much for a game and it’s still lacking so much, including basegame features (cars for instance), you have a right to complain.....

This is also something I often think about. Costwise, The Sims is a luxury car compared to other games. It should be held to a higher standard.

When you tell someone they can't complain about something they are passionate about, it's like telling them 'be quiet, I have the only correct opinion, and you can only speak if you agree with me' and that is simply not okay.

I tend to complain when I am unhappy, but on the other hand I will compliment when I feel it's deserved. For example, I love the snowy escape trailer, and if the pack is as good as that trailer suggests it is a day one must buy for me. I showed it to my boss who is a new Sims 4 player and she now plans on buying it as well. I am truly excited about the Sims for the first time this year, and it's a beautiful thing. Still I see lots of people who feel differently, and that is okay too, because I respect their opinions. I have no problem politely calling someone out when I think they are wrong about something. It's a matter of picking your battles and staying respectful, because you can learn alot from other people even when you disagree.

• Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Why do complaints bother you? It’s not like you made the game so are personally insulted by the (quite often) fair critique. Don’t take it personal. Like what you like. Let’s others like or dislike what they like. As long as people are respectful they shouldn’t be silenced because some people don’t like anything that isn’t positive.

Some people tend to forget that this post belongs to EA/Maxis and all they want to hear is good posts even if some players have negative feedback. Myself I do not go into an positive thread and post negative posts and threads like this are open game as it presents positive and negative posts.

I don’t go near positive threads. I do see some persistently go into critical threads and argue.

Threads like this are fine, I just don’t understand the “Someone complained about the game, I must rush to defend the devs honour/it’s really ruined my gameplay” mindset.

true, i legit don't understand either.
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I am definitely tired of threads dedicated to complaining but at least I can avoid those by not opening them up. What I really hate is when those really negative complainers leave their complaining threads and air their complaints on threads that are supposed to be positive or neutral. I am sure we all heard you on the last 5 threads you visited. You don't have to repeat your complaints on every thread you visit. You are barking up the wrong tree is what I am saying.

Yea, unfortunately, people who desperately want you to agree with them tend to be more negative. They use the word "we" in every post like they are speaking for all of us. That in and of itself is disrespectful and incorrect. They don't speak for all of us. I wish the forums would create a complaint category so complainers can hang out with their brethren and not seep their negativity into every thread. And you seem a little put off that people are starting to complain about the negativity. Don't we have a voice too?
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    So_Money wrote: »
    I’m not a fan of these types of threads because they target forum members and can get personal as a result. The complaint threads target EA and that’s basically harmless.

I wish this was true but it's not. Clearly, people who are unhappy with things believe we all should be unhappy about the same things.

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    It's quite handy when you come across Simmers saying they don't have Sims 4 and come back to 2 or 3. You can then put them on your ignore list! :D
  • Options
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Not really. A forum is a place to discuss and options differ from one person to another. I think people should be free to post whatever they want as long as it’s respectful and not against the rules. If people are unhappy with something they should be allowed to express their opinions just as much as a player that is happy can also do the same.

The forums would be a fairly boring place if we were all sunshine and roses and shared the exact same opinions.

It just shouldn't bleed into every subject. Whenever someone tries to post something positive, immediately it gets swarmed with negative comments, more complaining blah blah blah. "Oh how dare you try to be positive" is the message I get from that.

• Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,044 Member
    edited October 2020
    Having complaints is a natural human reaction, just like the opposite is. What really gets me is people not realizing the irony and hypocrisy of having a complaints thread about complainers. ;) You have to ask yourself WHY you get so upset over someone having a different opinion than yourself. Why would someone else disliking something ruin YOUR enjoyment of it? Because it doesn't.
    I've enjoyed a lot of things about the game that others have hated, and I haven't taken the difference of opinion personally - instead I've been grateful that I can enjoy something others cannot, and still I hope that whatever that person is not enjoying will be fixed, so they CAN enjoy it.

I know there are probably a lot of young people on the forums that don't have the maturity to handle other people's emotions, but I'm still always surprised that there's so much tension sometimes. It's like people revert to sandbox behavior (pun not intended) and forgetting to be adults.
    Do I feel a certain way sometimes when people praise a feature that I personally think is bonkers, or vice versa? Yes, but I KNOW that is MY problem, not theirs. I wouldn't WANT people to shut up just because they think differently than me or experience the game differently. That's silly.

I could go on about what the psychological reasons are for being so upset, but honestly it's not my job to shrink you or counsel you. Just be a grown up about it - and if you're not a grown up yet, just practice. :*
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited October 2020
    I am definitely tired of threads dedicated to complaining but at least I can avoid those by not opening them up. What I really hate is when those really negative complainers leave their complaining threads and air their complaints on threads that are supposed to be positive or neutral. I am sure we all heard you on the last 5 threads you visited. You don't have to repeat your complaints on every thread you visit. You are barking up the wrong tree is what I am saying.

Yea, unfortunately, people who desperately want you to agree with them tend to be more negative. They use the word "we" in every post like they are speaking for all of us. That in and of itself is disrespectful and incorrect. They don't speak for all of us. I wish the forums would create a complaint category so complainers can hang out with their brethren and not seep their negativity into every thread. And you seem a little put off that people are starting to complain about the negativity. Don't we have a voice too?

I’m not put off, I just don’t understand the mindset that I described in my earlier post. It’s a forum people have different opinions and that’s okay. If there are a lot of negative threads consider why? I remember this forum pre toddlers, it wasn’t fun but the people complaining had every right too. If people want to be positive and staart a 101 threads about how awesome the sims 4 is, let them. I don’t care. I mean I adore the sims 1-3. I truely don’t care if people hate it.

Also I think a complaints category would not be helpful and is kinda rude to suggest it so.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited October 2020
    I think some complainings fair and good, but some people in the community seem to genuinely dislike the game and go on and on about how much better the older editions are and it's just like why are you still here? Just play your favorite edition instead.

I also feel like there's a certain section of the community who think other players don't matter and everything should be for their play style - how dare somebody else get a pack they like instead of you! It's like to some people it doesn't matter what anyone else wants because they want farming and their opinion is more important for some reason. I don't mean this as a personal attack to those who want farming as it really isn't everyone and this is only a small portion of players who are like this but I've seen that kind of thing going round a lot and I really don't like that section of the community. It's kind of an attitude of "Why are they wasting time working on stuff for this side of the community when I want ----" yknow. Idk. I like that they add variety of content and not everything is gonna be for everyone and that's a good thing in my eyes.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    EDIT: typo

It might just be me, but is anyone just sick of the complaining that comes out of this forum? Seriously, are you guys actually shocked when we get minuscule gameplay features? I have my own problems with the game (Selling out to Disney? Why!?) but, I'm honestly just grateful we have decent parts of the game. The six different complaint threads for every released pack to date (as well as the base-game) popping up in my feed is exhausting. Maxis is probably trying to please us as best they can, and it's most likely really discouraging to have such vocal negativity around projects they've worked on. Where is the positivity on the main level of the forum?

Feel free to add your piece, or get into a light hearted debate with me on the issue of complaining.

I don't understand your feedback. I am not grateful for decent parts of a game. It's a business, if a business pulls shanagans I'm probably going to say something about a shoddy money grab and or work passed off as new. I don't have a 'feed' I just look at threads I'm interested in. Normally, I'm never in the What Happened in Your Game Today threads because the game is buggy and I no longer play it. I can't squeal over a new shelf when there are problems with older packs that keep reoccurring and or remain unfixed or come back over and over. It's funny how people look at things as if Maxis is trying to please us. I don't even understand what that means, uh, no, it's a business, Maxis is trying to make money regardless if anyone is unhappy or not, the bottom line is money always and forever. 'It's discouraging to have such vocal negativity around projects they've worked on?' What does that even mean from the perspective of a customer? You didn't work on the projects, I don't understand the codependency to defend any project others may not like, nor think is worth the money or can see reused assets. Some people can't see spending money on reused assets resold as new. I really don't understand the complaining about the complaints it's not like TS4 is some major new thing that would affect a life it's a game. If people can see the reused assets and bugs and glitches I don't understand why they must first say 'Don't get me wrong, I love TS4, but...' before they can complain. That's shows a passive aggressive personality. Like I hate this or that but I'm buying it anyway. That is the very heart of passive aggressiveness but people want to complain about anyone else who complains and call them negative. I don't owe Maxis anything, people are the reason they are still in business. Period. Different feedback is subjective but I'm not talking about subjective feedback, I find it amusing so many want to defend a game as if it's a person or country or thing that is alive. Do you go into McDonald's and say I hate your Big Mac but I'm buying it anyway..., why would anyone do that. No, you might say remove the pickle, remove the ketchup and any lettuce and I might buy it.

ETA: I am amused so many don't even realise that in the last few years of any game the heat gets turned up as the bugs increase and the engine and code becomes a mess. It's been true for all of them. It's EA's reputation to milk games forever then leave them high and dry but they add so much by the time a game ends to be replaced with a new version of it, the others have to be fixed by modders because EA and Maxis skip town and leave them hanging with buggy, unfinished games. Some here think this negativity is just directed at TS4, it's been true for every one of them. It's only the TS4 players that don't remember this of TS3 or TS2. It's way past time to retire this game for the very reasons people are complaining perhaps more than usual. It's going on seven years and bugs remain from seven years ago. And people dread patches rather than wait with joy, the things they need fixed are never fixed. It was true of TS3 and TS2 in their last waning years. Most can see the writing on the wall if they have been around for very long. And btw, it's TS4 players who are complaining and game changers it's not the people who have quit this game if you know who is still playing, it's those people (still buying) who are doing the most as of late.

Who opened the door on all this? Maxis, they said on day two or three, they had built and engine that could make people's dreams come true, even added all their dreams...people have been waiting for six years to see that happen. They gave them a chance, but those dreams haven't happened. What would anyone expect if someone says I can make all your dreams come true. Statements like that means they should deliver, tick tock, tick tock. ;)

I totally agree. I am sick to the back teeth of being told “Be grateful” anytime we get crumbs from Maxis. They aren’t doing us a favour. They don’t work for free. My Husband is a game dev and no one in that franchise community ever pulls that card. Never.
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited October 2020
    I don't mind complain threads as much as the amount of them. Same thing with positivity threads though. It'd be nice if there was ONE for each of them so you don't have to read the same thing over and over again in different threads. The recent discussions are flooded with them and new threads keep being made. It drowns out other threads.

I do sometimes feel like some people are more vocal about their complaints than others but I try to ignore their posts so as not to let it get me down. The negativity spiral gets to be exhausting sometimes.

To be honest, I don't get the intense need to gripe about things I don't like. I might make a comment to my SO when I don't like something, but I still try to find the positive and run with that. It would honestly wear me out if I had to write endless posts about things I disliked.