Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your thoughts on the complaining?

afternoonbaboonafternoonbaboon Posts: 252 Member
edited November 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
It might just be me, but is anyone just sick of the complaining that comes out of this forum? Seriously, are you guys actually shocked when we get minuscule gameplay features? I have my own problems with the game (Selling out to Disney? Why!?) but, I'm honestly just grateful we have decent parts of the game. The six different complaint threads for every released pack to date (as well as the base-game) popping up in my feed is exhausting. Maxis is probably trying to please us as best they can, and it's most likely really discouraging to have such vocal negativity around projects they've worked on. Where is the positivity on the main level of the forum?

Feel free to add your piece, or get into a light hearted debate with me on the issue of complaining.

EDIT: Oof. This is difficult to look at. I don't want to bruise my reputation on this forum and don't want others to get into meaningless fights about something that I posted. This was never the intention. All I wanted to do was share my own opinion, and hear others' opinions as well. It seems as though this has become Facebook in a way. A user ((I forget who) said that I should add a question to hopefully make this less of a vent, and more of a public discussion. I think that's a good idea.

So: What do you think of the complaining, negativity, and personal threats to Maxis on the forum?
WweQvgh.gif

we love you kathleen hanna
Post edited by EA_Joz on

Comments

• Options
    amp107amp107 Posts: 205 Member
    I concur. I tend to find something I enjoy out of all DLC released. With the newest EP especially it seems like Maxis is trying to make everyone happy. I've seen countless wishlists that included a snowy world, a true Asian inspired world, and snow sports and Maxis has found a way to give us all three at once. I got super excited when I saw the trailer and came to the forums to geek out with some fellow simmers only to see the recent discussions page is bombarded with complaints only threads :( I guess that's just the nature of social media and the internet these days.

0IzRxZE.jpg
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I dare say I have generally been decently positive over 4's lifespan, though I of course have my qualms as well. If nothing else, not overly judgemental. However, how much others complain does not really matter to me. Kind of like positivity, your opinion is your business and I am more than happy to discuss but it by no means offends me.

If I do not want to read a complaint thread, I do not (typically I do not even when I completely ignore a pack like SW). Same with positivity threads. By the way, I do sort of blame this split for the titular problem. If positivity has to have a dedicated space, so does negativity. Personally, I miss when it was all just a discussion thread. Then you could say both.
  • Options
    SchmoloopSchmoloop Posts: 116 Member
    I actually haven't seen many complaint threads, but from what I've seen, they don't always complain about small features. I don't think there would be any complaining threads (or atleast not as many) if there were no positive threads. There should be a thread to add your thoughts, both bad and good and not only positive.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I'm pretty sick of it too. It gets old after awhile. It's always the same people doing the bulk of the complaining so I either skip their posts or put them on ignore. There are a few people that have posted some new or interesting complaints so I can't really say that no one should ever post a complaint.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,286 Member
    Please feel free to join us in the positive thoughts thread if you'd like to discuss a feature you're particularly excited about or looking forward to. :) I'll be updating the thread with new information as it is released.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/982599/snowy-escape-positive-thoughts-thread/p1
  • Options
    foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 236 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Not really. A forum is a place to discuss and options differ from one person to another. I think people should be free to post whatever they want as long as it’s respectful and not against the rules. If people are unhappy with something they should be allowed to express their opinions just as much as a player that is happy can also do the same.

The forums would be a fairly boring place if we were all sunshine and roses and shared the exact same opinions.

yes yes yes
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Not really. A forum is a place to discuss and options differ from one person to another. I think people should be free to post whatever they want as long as it’s respectful and not against the rules. If people are unhappy with something they should be allowed to express their opinions just as much as a player that is happy can also do the same.

The forums would be a fairly boring place if we were all sunshine and roses and shared the exact same opinions.

Your post should be stickied
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    It doesn't bother me as much as it use too... but then again it really is better for the most part than before. It's not always, but sometimes constructive now at least. I just avoid those threads for the most part now because I don't usually agree and nothing they are going to say or I am going to say is going to make a dent in each others viewpoint with the voices I take issue with.. and that's usually when people are rude with their opinion even if sometimes constructive. I'd rather have that attitude of gratitude going on as much as possible, and that slips sometimes. Being exposed too much to complaints can just put me in a bad space so it's best not to go there. Since I enjoy my game I don't have to go there.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I like to form my own opinions. While I share some criticisms with others, I do not need or want all of the things that are complained about. Sometimes that feels like being an outlier when all you read are people who are complaining.

A lot of us weren't interested in Journey to Batuu. I'm not that into sci-fi. There were a lot of people complaining about the GTW aliens though, who were saying that they wanted to go to their own alien world, so there it was for them. While I agree with some complaints and I acknowledge ones that don't reflect my needs, it seems like some people will complain no matter what. I agree that the bugs, especially newer ones that came with Eco Living really need to be addressed.

The new Snowy Escape pack is actually getting a lot of positive commentary from players I see on other social media. I'm not anti-all complaining but it's not representative of the whole community and no, it's not always constructive. I acknowledge that not everything is made exactly for me. Actually, ROM wasn't for me and parts of other packs really don't interest me. If something does though, I don't necessarily want to read a bunch of other people's comments just tearing it down. I could just ignore those but if everyone who likes a given pack or who has a different opinion did that, we would be silenced and there could be a totally distorted view.

To be frank, if some of the things that those complaining want were forced on all players, I probably wouldn't be happy.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited October 2020
    I do feel like it would be better if people didn't make so many separate threads about same subject and just tried to check for the threads to comment before making new one

by making separate threads it drowns out other subjects and becomes annoying
    especially in case of complaints since they often just make you : ( unless you are feeling like throwing big rage storm over something for anger management
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    amp107 wrote: »
    I concur. I tend to find something I enjoy out of all DLC released. With the newest EP especially it seems like Maxis is trying to make everyone happy. I've seen countless wishlists that included a snowy world, a true Asian inspired world, and snow sports and Maxis has found a way to give us all three at once.

What's driving me crazy is the people complaining the pack has to be set in a European country, because skiing. As if Japan isn't mostly mountain. I'm also glad any time TS4 steps out of the white people zone.

I agree with both of you! LOL Japan a lot of mountains, and Sopporo is one of the snowiest cities in the world. The pack makes perfect sense to me. The complaining about it not being a European themed pack because of the skiing just gets to me. Besides, I think I read somewhere that downhill skiing was invented in Wisconsin or something...I could be wrong... but my point is that people all around the word ski.

As for the OP absolutely you are right, so much negativity, so annoying. The worst is when you see someone post how much they are looking forward to a pack, and the negative posters jump all over that person. That bugs me the most, that part has seemed to get a little better over time, thank goodness.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Misery loves company. I've not been as active in the forums or twitter for this very reason. I came back for info on this new exciting pack and to support the devs.
    I'm not even going to complain about the complainers because everyone is free to say and do as they please in life. However, I feel the mental and emotional pull of negativity and it gets me down. People may take energies lightly but we humans are very connected to energies and with everything going on in 2020, I need to keep my energy lifted.
    So in general I surround myself with positive and beautiful things in life, do what I enjoy and have fun with the sims 🙂 I do however wish they would contain them into one thread but o well. ☠
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Well this is literally the only place where people can discuss TS - and I think complaint threads about complaining ultimately do nothing but amplify the negativity. There are times where I'm 100% psyched about stuff that's coming, and then I stick mostly to cat's and simgirl's threads because I know those are positive. But I stay away from the traditional (by now "official") complaining thread, and only read negative feedback threads when I'm interested in the topic being discussed. The majority of threads on this forum are still by and large positive. Focusing negatively on people you perceive as being too negative seems to me to be a pretty counter-productive strategy.
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 764 Member
    I actually prefer the complaining threads to having just nonstop complaints derail other threads. Not that I am against criticism if it's on topic.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Maxis - our next EP is...Eco Lifestyle.
    Simmers - we did not ask for this! ! The last EP screwed up our game! We hate you all!
    Maxis - but it has ladders and firefighters.
    Simmers - yay, best pack ever! Take our money!
    Maxis - our next EP is...Snowy Escape.
    Simmers - we did not ask for this! The last EP screwed up our game! We hate you all!
    Maxis - but it has snowboarding and personality development.
    Simmers - yay, best pack ever! Take our money!

And on and on and on...