Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your thoughts on the complaining?

Comments

• DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    Duvelina wrote: »
    Duvelina wrote: »
    Your intention is apparently not to help the team be better, so what are you trying to do? That is spreading negativity by definition, isn't it?

@Duvelina Some people want to discuss their opinion with others so they can understand where they come from. It's not always about providing feedback to the team, sometimes it's also about asking other people what they think of things and why they do so while sharing ones own opinion.

I feel like this is rarely the case though. Most threads seem to be started from a venting perspective without any questions asked at all and other people have to jump on the complain train themselves hooking into what OP said. When someone with a differing opinion jumps in, it's completely disregarded because opinion 1 must be right! That doesn't sound like a discussion to me. That sounds like OP needs confirmation of his existing opinion. This would be fine if it was one or two threads, but why do some people feel the need to open their very own thread to put their opinion on blast instead of joining the general complaining thread? I don't mean to be rude here, but I don't think most opinions are so riveting and overwhelmingly clever it'd warrant an entire thread.

@Duvelina Personally I don't think there is a need to add a question in the thread because to me that's self-explanatory. If I post a thread online about something I don't like then I expect people to respond with their own opinion on that topic no matter what opinion that is. I understand where you are coming from and maybe adding a question would be a good idea but so far I thought I didn't need to explain that you are allowed to comment and have a discussion with me about said thing, no matter what your opinion on the topic is.

Also the thing about the complaining thread is just like the unpopular opinions thread. It's too general so people go in, post their compaint and then the next one moves on and posts their own. There is no discussion because people simply go in there to vent and get out.
    Making a new thread means that you can voice exactly the part that you don't like and talk specifically about it with other people no matter if they agree or not (because usually in complaining threads people who disagree don't go in to respond so there is a lack of different points of view)

I also understand your point of view. I sometimes even see threads popping up with: 'Don't mind me, I'm just venting.' If you're open to actual discussion and not just complaining then okay, sure, I see. Sometimes the titles of the threads are also so negative it doesn't seem like OP is open to discussion. It also creates this issue we're seeing here where someone doesn't even want to open the thread anymore and feels like a lot of complaining is going on.

I have posted in the unpopular opinions thread before, I understand that concept. I'm sure it's prevented some threads from being created with the 'awesome', 'insightful' and 'like' options to reaffirm someone's feelings. Having said that, both positive and negative opinions are posted in there. It's a mix of things, not plain venting.
  • afternoonbaboonafternoonbaboon Posts: 252 Member
    I added a tad more to my comment to make this seem more inviting and less of a rant. I hope it brings clarification to the intention of this thread. :)
    WweQvgh.gif

we love you kathleen hanna
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I added a tad more to my comment to make this seem more inviting and less of a rant. I hope it brings clarification to the intention of this thread. :)

No offense, but the title of your thread isn't very inviting. I complain because I care about the game and where it's headed. And while I do have fun complaining, it's more because I'm worried about it.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,830 Member
    edited October 2020
    APotts wrote: »
    Well if you see a complaint thread moved to Feedback you can thank me because I'll flag it and let the moderators decide.

So I guess you are okay if people start flagging the purely positive threads too, since they are technically positive feedback as opposed to negative feedback?

I don't mean that to sound mean, and I respect that you enjoy the game and want to stand up for it. I just think it is wrong to try to control people you disagree with by flagging them. Flags should be saved for cases where people are breaking rules, not because you have a different opinion.

Threads that discuss how a feature should be better, or threads that discuss features the game should have are feedback. Those are the threads I flag. 90% of the time they are critical but that's not the reason I flag them. I'll also flag a positive or neutral thread if it's in the wrong section. I've even flagged threads in Feedback to be moved to general discussion.

Also wanted to add it is a rule.

Post in the right place. Check the section you're posting in before submitting. If a post is in the wrong place we might move or remove it.
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I don't see any issue with a complaints thread as long as it is constructive. This time around there hardly seems many with the new snowy pack. The forum was full of them with the JTB pack. Yes there can be a lot of them about the same topic but the same goes for the positive threads. My biggest gripe is a very few and I mean very few simmers who when a new pack comes out complain about how bad it is and then say they haven't played the game in years. To me that is not constructive criticism about the game and just feels like lets moan for the sake of moaning as I don't like sims 4. Again this is a very very small number of simmers on the forum and I understand the game has its faults and a lot of people who still play it are not happy and I am not meaning those simmers. My other big gripe is when those go into the positive or negative thread and start having a go at the people in that thread who don't hold the same viewpoint as them. We all have our own opinions on the game and what we want from it and we should respect others opinions even if they are not the same as our own. Joining this forum has made me realise how a lot of people are dissatisfied with the game compared to other versions. There opinion has not changed my own but I enjoy reading the comments as it gives me a different perspective on the game and different gameplay styles.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I think that it does get a bit overwhelming. And there is a way to Express one's dissatisfaction without being too aggressive with it. However if we don't tell them the things we dislike, have problems with, disappointed in, and etc... how will they know and how will they know what needs to be improved or what they cam do better on next time.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    You won't see many negative threads or even a single negative threads by looking at previous Sims series section of this forum, the negative threads are mostly reside in Ts4 section because it is the current game and there is still so many lacking in its 6 years of run, people that are complaining are already investing way too much money to give up on the game, mind you if it wasn't the effort of the complainers there won't be a followup note from the Sims team as a damage control after jtb pack, or skintone update that we're about to get.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,479 Member
    amp107 wrote: »
    I concur. I tend to find something I enjoy out of all DLC released. With the newest EP especially it seems like Maxis is trying to make everyone happy. I've seen countless wishlists that included a snowy world, a true Asian inspired world, and snow sports and Maxis has found a way to give us all three at once. I got super excited when I saw the trailer and came to the forums to geek out with some fellow simmers only to see the recent discussions page is bombarded with complaints only threads :( I guess that's just the nature of social media and the internet these days.

I'm afraid that's the state of the world, these days. We're all at each others' throats. I, too, find the endless complaint threads a nuisance. But, people have a right to voice their opinions whether I agree with them or not. Sometimes, it's just a matter of getting that something off of your chest, you know?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • afternoonbaboonafternoonbaboon Posts: 252 Member
    bixters wrote: »

No offense, but the title of your thread isn't very inviting. I complain because I care about the game and where it's headed. And while I do have fun complaining, it's more because I'm worried about it.

Just made a third and (hopefully) final edit. I hope it's not too late to adjust this thread and make it as inviting as possible.
    WweQvgh.gif

we love you kathleen hanna
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I gotta say I like the trend that's happening of having a dedicated complaint thread about an upcoming pack as well as a positive thread. I know which I won't post in that way. I know more where my happy place will be also.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I gotta say I like the trend that's happening of having a dedicated complaint thread about an upcoming pack as well as a positive thread. I know which I won't post in that way. I know more where my happy place will be also.

Agree, that I do like the dedicated complaining threads too, because it keeps the negativity somewhat contained but there are still a few happy crashers.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    Everyone has their own opinions, were not always going too agree and that's okay, yes personally attacking the developers is not okay that's a different story, the sims has always been about expressing yourself creativity, imagination, it's the type of game there is no right or wrong way too play it, if you enjoy everything in the sims 4 enjoy it, voice how you enjoy it and let other voice theirs whatever way, if they dont like something in the game why should it bother you? Happy simming everyone 😊, hope yous are all doing okay in this weird time, were all in this together
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    edited October 2020
    Well if you see a complaint thread moved to Feedback you can thank me because I'll flag it and let the moderators decide.

So I guess you are okay if people start flagging the purely positive threads too, since they are technically positive feedback as opposed to negative feedback?

I don't mean that to sound mean, and I respect that you enjoy the game and want to stand up for it. I just think it is wrong to try to control people you disagree with by flagging them. Flags should be saved for cases where people are breaking rules, not because you have a different opinion.

Threads that discuss how a feature should be better, or threads that discuss features the game should have are feedback. Those are the threads I flag. 90% of the time they are critical but that's not the reason I flag them. I'll also flag a positive or neutral thread if it's in the wrong section. I've even flagged threads in Feedback to be moved to general discussion.

Also wanted to add it is a rule.

Post in the right place. Check the section you're posting in before submitting. If a post is in the wrong place we might move or remove it.

Fair enough. I didn't get that from your original comment.

I still feel flagging should be saved for true offenders, but it's a free forum, so if you need to flag that is your business.
    Post edited by APotts on
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    I have never flagged another Simmer before or will I in the future. People that pay for a product have a right to state their pleasure and displeasure. As far as the negative threads, I guess it being in general is okay. And if it is not then positive threads also belong in feedback. I usually stay away from the positive threads, because I find many things not so positive about the game. I still open Sims 4 and build more than anything in game now. But everyone has a right to their own opinion. IF this game was free, then maybe opinions in this forum could be controlled more (but even F2P has negative opinions). I do not owe EA anything, I bought their products they owe me working products. That is not an insult, it is a fact. And if people think about it, the more EA listens to ALL their consumers, the more happy everyone becomes... The more money they get. I love Sims, have since the very first one. If I complain, or give negative feedback.. there is a reason for it. It does not mean I hate Sims, it means I find something wrong with it.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2020
    Many people suggest that there should be a category just for complainers so they don't appear in general discussions but I personally see that as a bit dangerous because it isolates opinions.
    The reason why some people post criticism, especially in the forums is to have a discussion with others who have a similar or a completely different point of view. Filtering those threads out would be completely counterproductive and unfair. It's like telling people their opinion should only be voiced around people who believe the same and voicing it anywhere else is against the rules. Imagine that in real life.

Also one big issue we have with the internet nowadays is the fact that everything we see is filtered automatically to be to our liking with cookies etc.
    Imagine if people who like the pack only get to see threads from people who have the same opinion. It would be as if another opinion doesn't exist and would create a completely false image.
    Same goes the other way around, imagine if people who dislike the pack only got to see threads from people who also dislike it. People would just think everyone or the majority dislikes the pack.
    Filtering out opinions we don't like is like closing or eyes and ears to anything we don't like and acting like it doesn't exist. And that's a very dangerous practice. Not just on the forums but in life in general.
    I do agree with that. I don't like segregating Simmers and if anything it has caused more issues over the past six years than help it. I miss when the Sims community was actually a community, but it has been far from that even since the Sims 3 days when the yibSims was introduced which just started the whole issue with entitlement of some Simmers having superiority over others. If anything none of us do regardless if we are a game changer, a playtester, or gamer. But odd there is like class system now which really there shouldn't be. Right now I really don't see a difference from the Star Wars lore and what the Sims community is going through because it constantly feels like battles between the Jedi and the Sith and I wish people could accept that not everyone wants to debate or fight over high school drama nonsense. Really felt like that way when I saw Simmers judging over what other Simmers wear in other countries like we are back in high school or something. It is like who cares if they dress differently than we do, who are we to judge since what we wear probably looks different to them too. I see this happening with opinions too. I think it is healthy to be different and people who say otherwise, well there are thousands of years of history to show what has happened when world powers try to force others for sameness, why there is that saying Rome fell in a day. Power is meaningless and temporary and can easily fall in a literal day. Probably why there is that saying divide and conquer too because of the Sims community being so divided now, any gaming company can swoop in and end the Sims community like what happened with SimCity. Sims was just a side game of SimCity and look what happened to them. Same could happen with the Sims too, our community could easily die and kind of has already. Honestly our community is kind of a joke to the rest of gaming communities now with frequent comments of "Do people still play that?" Then again the world is kind of falling apart anyways, so Sims probably will too. Might as well enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Anyway after all of that, I have never had an issue with criticism being in general discussion. The meaning of the word is actually meant to be inclusive, "involving, relating to, or applicable to every member of a class, kind, or group" "not confined by specialization or careful limitation" source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/general while others are using it by this definition "belonging to the common nature of a group of like individuals" "holding superior rank or taking precedence over others similarly titled". The second one just makes me think of this song so I do amuse myself thinking of it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXf0o2d-W5w

I think that is with the Sims too, no one knows the identity of what the Sims really is just like with the definition of general, it means different things to different people.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller

I have reported both equally myself. If someone acts up in any thread, I flag it. But then again how I handle when I mod on Twitch too. Couldn't care less if someone labels themselves as "positive" or "negative". They can call themselves the queen of the Sims for all I care, still doesn't make them immune from following laws and rules. Dealing with that type of behavior with some discrimination I have recently faced actually with someone trying to lie themselves out of breaking state laws. Quite interesting what people will say to keep being "right" in a situation.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Probably why there is that saying divide and conquer too because of the Sims community being so divided now, any gaming company can swoop in and end the Sims community like what happened with SimCity. Sims was just a side game of SimCity and look what happened to them. Same could happen with the Sims too, our community could easily die and kind of has already. Honestly our community is kind of a joke to the rest of gaming communities now with frequent comments of "Do people still play that?" Then again the world is kind of falling apart anyways, so Sims probably will too. Might as well enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Wow this really shook me, you are right SimCity was the "major" game once and the Sims was the "minor" side project and SimCity did end up falling apart in 2013. Who would have thought a few years earlier. And this could totally happen with the Sims as well.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    Scobre wrote: »
    Probably why there is that saying divide and conquer too because of the Sims community being so divided now, any gaming company can swoop in and end the Sims community like what happened with SimCity. Sims was just a side game of SimCity and look what happened to them. Same could happen with the Sims too, our community could easily die and kind of has already. Honestly our community is kind of a joke to the rest of gaming communities now with frequent comments of "Do people still play that?" Then again the world is kind of falling apart anyways, so Sims probably will too. Might as well enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Wow this really shook me, you are right SimCity was the "major" game once and the Sims was the "minor" side project and SimCity did end up falling apart in 2013. Who would have thought a few years earlier. And this could totally happen with the Sims as well.
    Yeah I only recently reflected on it. All the side game talk and then I'm looking back at my roots of the Sims was that I started playing it as the side game of the game I started on SimCity. I hope it doesn't, but yeah I do like having a backup plan and honestly just healthy killing monopolies anyways. I really do hope that Paralives and some of the other games come out do well. I think having more gaming options will help a lot if they are released before the Sims 5 comes out. Why I am kind of ok with the Sims 4 lasting longer too, gives more time for competition to release their games. :)
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,572 Member
    Not everyone is good with words or knows how to properly voice a criticism or complaint so I don't hate on anyone. Post what you want and try not to hurt people's feelings. If it comes across like you have a real point to make, I'm glad to read it. If you're just a hater, try to get happy.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    The Sims franchise has millions of fans and players scattered all over the world. And we all have a different view of the game, especially when it comes to Sims4. I don't view the complaints as criticism as much as the players' desire to see Sims4 grow in the same way as the past iterations did. Which has been six years of waiting and hoping, on our part, for that to happen. But it won't happen until we voice our disappointments in the teams' choices, and our wishes for better content. The problem is, sometimes we aren't able to voice our feelings without offending someone and that individual will take our comments as a personal attack. That's when the fur flies, and threads become toxic. Infighting among ourselves is not constructive, and takes our attention away from the issues we are having with the game itself. In order to make some progress in persuading the teams to add the content we want, fix the bugs and listen to us, we need to understand that every comment or criticism is not a personal attack. We're talking about the game. There is nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree, and letting go of the need to be right. The forum is supposed to be where we can discuss our thoughts and ideas in a safe place. Let's keep it that way, and be more willing to accept the fact everyone does not have to agree with our opinions or wants.
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited October 2020
    It might just be me, but is anyone just sick of the complaining that comes out of this forum? Seriously, are you guys actually shocked when we get minuscule gameplay features? I have my own problems with the game (Selling out to Disney? Why!?) but, I'm honestly just grateful we have decent parts of the game. The six different complaint threads for every released pack to date (as well as the base-game) popping up in my feed is exhausting. Maxis is probably trying to please us as best they can, and it's most likely really discouraging to have such vocal negativity around projects they've worked on. Where is the positivity on the main level of the forum?

Feel free to add your piece, or get into a light hearted debate with me on the issue of complaining.

EDIT: Oof. This is difficult to look at. I don't want to bruise my reputation on this forum and don't want others to get into meaningless fights about something that I posted. This was never the intention. All I wanted to do was share my own opinion, and hear others' opinions as well. It seems as though this has become Facebook in a way. A user ((I forget who) said that I should add a question to hopefully make this less of a vent, and more of a public discussion. I think that's a good idea.

So: What do you think of the complaining, negativity, and personal threats to Maxis on the forum?

I have my share of complaints, but I get over it fast. Other people still complaining annoys the plumbob out of me!

ETA: NSR(Not sims related) but the biggest complaint people are still going on about is how Dumbledore asked Harry if he put his name in the Goblet of Fire. The actor for Dumbledore never read the fourth book so he figured being angry was how he should react.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    Not everyone is good with words or knows how to properly voice a criticism or complaint so I don't hate on anyone. Post what you want and try not to hurt people's feelings. If it comes across like you have a real point to make, I'm glad to read it. If you're just a hater, try to get happy.

I agree and that's why I don't go and flag anyone even if something upsets me :)
  • RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    I think there are bound to be complaints about the game considering the amount of people it. We are all interested in seeing different things added to it that we will never agree completely. We also have different priorities when it comes to it. I, for one, love locations and professions. My priorities when I hear about a new title is university, seasons and pets. Others love family or relationship orientated features. Others want things to add to the social elements of the game. To just name a few. I don't think it's wrong to want any of those things. I also think there is no reason why they can't come here to share their opinion on how new items could have been implemented or give feedback for why things aren't working. It's going to happen for all of us when playing and we have the right to share our thoughts with EA on features. If we don't like them I think we absolutely should come here and say "I don't like this feature because of this..." But there is a difference between constructive feedback and complaining.

I do think though that if someone has too many complaints to the point where the game is not enjoyable at all to them they should probably think about just not playing it. These are games and they should be fun. If the game isn't fun for someone why would they want to force themselves to play it?
  • RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    amp107 wrote: »
    I concur. I tend to find something I enjoy out of all DLC released. With the newest EP especially it seems like Maxis is trying to make everyone happy. I've seen countless wishlists that included a snowy world, a true Asian inspired world, and snow sports and Maxis has found a way to give us all three at once.

What's driving me crazy is the people complaining the pack has to be set in a European country, because skiing. As if Japan isn't mostly mountain. I'm also glad any time TS4 steps out of the white people zone.

I live only a few hours drive away from the Rocky Mountains. It could have been set in Canada too. Mountains do not equate to Europe in my mind at least for that reason. On a clear day you can actually see them in the distance when driving to Calgary. I think with the Olympic games coming up in Tokyo in 2021 it may have had something to do with it also. Not to mention that in the Sims 3 we went to China and Egypt. The Sims have always had an international feeling to me. I am glad for it because the players of it are not just based in North America.