Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5? No thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
  • Options
    Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    @ClarionOfJoy

Only if you accept to invest more money to pay this expensive development.

TS5 development = Money from TS4
    Lol they don’t even use as much money as they can from TS4 to develop TS4! 😂

I would say as a general rule of thumb, don’t buy things you don’t want with the hope that your money will go directly into the development of something that you do want (even if it’s a sequel), especially with large gaming companies. Indie devs are a bit different, of course.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited May 2020
    @Sofmc9

An empty world with one household always works well.

Now let's see how much it's stable when there are full residential lots with households.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited May 2020
    @ClarionOfJoy

Ridiculous! EA is RICH! If TS5 turns out to be just as much trash as TS4 is, then that's on them - NOT ON US!

That threat won't work anymore. EAxis has competition this time, not from one rival, but TWO! Keep treating the loyal fanbase badly and we won't be here for them anymore now that Paralives and Paradox Tectonic's game are on their way.

Barbie430 wrote: »
    @ClarionOfJoy

Lol they don’t even use as much money as they can from TS4 to develop TS4! 😂

I would say as a general rule of thumb, don’t buy things you don’t want with the hope that your money will go directly into the development of something that you do want (even if it’s a sequel), especially with large gaming companies. Indie devs are a bit different, of course.

Totally agree with you! And this is why I never spent even a penny on TS4.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    now that Paralives and Paradox Tectonic's game are on their way.

How many years before a playable game is released ???

I'm sure that the players will be enough patient to wait for them.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited May 2020
    I like Paradox (USUALLY) but I warn you, they're as handsy with DLC as EA. In fact they're infamous for it - they buy games and then start putting in DLC even if there was none before. Crusader Kings 2 is the most obscene example but Stellaris comes hot on its heels. Cities Skylines even sells you radio stations - aka an alternative soundtrack to the game.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    now that Paralives and Paradox Tectonic's game are on their way.

How many years before a playable game is released ???

I'm sure that the players will be enough patient to wait for them.

Don't be so overconfident - Colossal Order was able to steal EA's thunder and took much of the SimCity fans away from them. All the staff that Colossal Order had at the time of release was only 13 people. They had some previous experience with Cities In Motion which focused on transportation logistics, but when EA's SimCities online failed, Paradox Interactive greenlit their project and they developed Cities:Skylines which made vastly superior improvements and added features that blew SimCity away. That only took TWO years after the decision was made. And the rest is history....

Same thing with Paradox Tectonic. They are comprised of people who used to work for Maxis - who have previous experience in the life sim genre and made the best iterations in the series: The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, both of which were ground breaking and amazing, with a large loyal fanbase that still plays those games to this very day. It really won't take as long as you think. Even Rod Humble had said that he will announce more about the game soon.

Staff for Paralives is also expanding and they have an active rapport with simmers that they haven't gotten at all from EAxis. Sure there are polls, but EAxis never quite gives us what we ask for. Whereas, with Paralives devs, we have direct input and the things we've asked for are given clear consideration - not some variation of what we asked for.

So you think it would take several years down the road for those hungry competitors to release their games? I don't think so.

Loanet wrote: »
    I like Paradox (USUALLY) but I warn you, they're as handsy with DLC as EA. In fact they're infamous for it - they buy games and then start putting in DLC even if there was none before. Crusader Kings 2 is the most obscene example but Stellaris comes hot on its heels. Cities Skylines even sells you radio stations - aka an alternative soundtrack to the game.

I accept that about Paradox. What makes all that much less painful is that those games are AMAZING. Every Paradox basegame is still fun to play without DLC because the gameplay is strong and has so much depth! But the DLCs are great too because they DO add more gameplay that has substance.

It was like that too with The Sims 3 which I think has the most DLC to date with the Sims 3 Store. I felt absolutely no pain buying all the EPs and SPs and items from the Sims 3 Store. They were all made well, and fit well into the game. So playing a Paradox game is not really a culture shock coming from The Sims 3.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I accept that about Paradox. What makes all that much less painful is that those games are AMAZING. Every Paradox basegame is still fun to play without DLC because the gameplay is strong and has so much depth! But the DLCs are great too because they DO add more gameplay that has substance.

Paradox is a PUBLISHER. It doesn't make these games. It buys popular games with DLC potential, but not entire studios, so it can't disband the studio the way EA is fond of. A recent accquisition was Prison Artitech. What it IS good at, is maintaining player interest and gaining new players in good but waning games with these new expansions, even as the studio thought they'd pumped it dry.

It's amazing how much inspiration you can get from a wad of cash and the words "We'll pay you for an expansion pack every three months."
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options

Paradox is a PUBLISHER. It doesn't make these games. It buys popular games with DLC potential, but not entire studios, so it can't disband the studio the way EA is fond of. A recent accquisition was Prison Artitech. What it IS good at, is maintaining player interest and gaining new players in good but waning games with these new expansions, even as the studio thought they'd pumped it dry.

It's amazing how much inspiration you can get from a wad of cash and the words "We'll pay you for an expansion pack every three months."

Yeah, I know Paradox is a publisher, but they do get involved in the direction and content of the games they publish. Here is an example from Cities:Skylines of how Paradox works with a game studio:

Finnish developer Colossal Order, a thirteen-person studio at the time Cities: Skylines was released, had established its reputation for the Cities in Motion series, which primarily dealt with constructing transportation systems in pre-defined cities. They wanted to move from this into a larger city simulation like the SimCity franchise, and in preparation, developed Cities in Motion 2 using the Unity game engine to assure they had the capability to develop this larger effort. They pitched their ideas to their publisher, Paradox Interactive, but these initial pitches were focused on a political angle of managing a city rather than planning of it; the player would have been mayor of the city and set edicts and regulations to help their city grow. Paradox felt that these ideas did not present a strong enough case as to go up against the well-established SimCity, and had Colossal Order revise their approach.

The situation changed when the 2013 version of SimCity was released, and was critically panned due to several issues. Having gone back and forth with Colossal Order on the city simulation idea, Paradox used the market opportunity to green light the development of Cities: Skylines.

As long as the DLCs are good and not lack-lustre and buggy like TS4 DLCs, I don't have a problem with that.

• Options
    Anyway, back to the actual topic. One of my concerns is the specs for Sims 5. Have you ever seen the fan-trailers for Sims 5? They'd make the average computer bleed through the ears just from looking at them.

One of the things about The Sims is that it always aims itself at the average computer of the time. And ray-tracing is not for the average computer. However, all those people scrimping by on their current laptops right now? They're gonna need new machines, RT or not. Even if you got a new machine for Seasons, you'll probably need a new machine for Sims 5. Then we'll get people complaining that a new game won't run on their 7-year-old laptop.

Me, I can afford to future-proof my graphics card when I get my new computer. But a lot of people are not in that basket. Will Ray Tracing be affordable by Sims 5's release? Or will they avoid it altogether? The cartoonish Sims 4 style makes slapstick easy. Sims 5 might make your Sims too realistic to set on fire.
  • Options
    Anyway, back to the actual topic. One of my concerns is the specs for Sims 5. Have you ever seen the fan-trailers for Sims 5? They'd make the average computer bleed through the ears just from looking at them.

One of the things about The Sims is that it always aims itself at the average computer of the time. And ray-tracing is not for the average computer. However, all those people scrimping by on their current laptops right now? They're gonna need new machines, RT or not. Even if you got a new machine for Seasons, you'll probably need a new machine for Sims 5. Then we'll get people complaining that a new game won't run on their 7-year-old laptop.

Me, I can afford to future-proof my graphics card when I get my new computer. But a lot of people are not in that basket. Will Ray Tracing be affordable by Sims 5's release? Or will they avoid it altogether? The cartoonish Sims 4 style makes slapstick easy. Sims 5 might make your Sims too realistic to set on fire.

I have an old computer from 2014 that runs TS3 just fine. I know it won't be up to spec for TS5, so I'm saving up for a new computer. I DON'T want the TS5 developers to be held back. I want TS5 to be cutting edge, so I DON'T want them making the game use old technology just for my old computer.

All the previous iterations, TS1, TS2 and TS3 were cutting edge for their time. TS4 is only the way it is, not because they wanted to be able to play it on older computers, but because they converted it from an online multiplayer game to an offline single player game. If they really wanted it to run on older computers, it would have been a lot more like TS2 which has so much more working gameplay and features than TS4. So how do you account for the lack of features in TS4 when TS2 - which was meant to be played on older computers! - had so much more?

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

I have an old computer from 2014 that runs TS3 just fine. I know it won't be up to spec for TS5, so I'm saving up for a new computer. I DON'T want the TS5 developers to be held back. I want TS5 to be cutting edge, so I DON'T want them making the game use old technology just for my old computer.

All the previous iterations, TS1, TS2 and TS3 were cutting edge for their time. TS4 is only the way it is, not because they wanted to be able to play it on older computers, but because they converted it from an online multiplayer game to an offline single player game. If they really wanted it to run on older computers, it would have been a lot more like TS2 which has so much more working gameplay and features than TS4. So how do you account for the lack of features in TS4 when TS2 - which was meant to be played on older computers! - had so much more?

Claps thank you. Yeah Sim 4 with the new pack I checked and minimum specs are GTX 650, at least I5 processor, and 18 GB of memory. So even with each pack it increases.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    I also hope they don't try to make 5 compatible for the average computer.

My main interest though would be to make 5 with the quality and content we have enjoyed in the franchise until 4 came out. 4 has been so disappointing when it comes to quality and content that i'm seriously doubting i'll get 5 anyway. I'd have to see alot of great reviews from fellow simmers, not influencers, before i'd even consider buying 5. 5 is probably going to be an online game anyways which does not interest me in the slightest.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    No to Sims 5, Yes to Paralives!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    If they release The Sims 5 and keep on developing packs for The Sims 4 like TS FreePlay and Mobile , it's fine.

But if they leave TS4 incomplete, it would make me furious.

• Options
    I don't see why a game like Sims 4 should ever have to be classed as complete, but there are a few exceptions. There were factors in the creation of Sims 4 that were flat-out too hard to do but could be done now - open world swimming is just one of them, grid placement should be a thing of the past without waiting four years, and teenagers, young adults and adults have very little difference.

I know I don't want to pay for weather.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2020
    If they release The Sims 5 and keep on developing packs for The Sims 4 like TS FreePlay and Mobile , it's fine.

But if they leave TS4 incomplete, it would make me furious.

Just curious. You keep saying in many threads you feel TS4 is incomplete. I wonder what it is they should do to make you feel it is complete. I hope you start a thread and tell us why it's still (after six years) incomplete. Wanting new stuff for a game doesn't make it incomplete, but if it's something about how it works and plays that's a different matter and curious to know what those things are. I feel it's run it's course, it has the major packs and in three years they haven't shown me anything else I wanted to play (ideas were not interesting to me).
    So I don't know what else they could do with it because we both know they aren't going to fix personalities or traits and emotions etc. Those are my issues just wondering what your issues are, too. It would be an interesting thread this late date in the process. Most of the GPs or EPs are still broken that's another reason for me to not buy anymore ever.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    edited June 2020
    I don't think the average Sims player really cares a lot about graphics. The style from 4 with just some updates is probably good for most. And even 4 already has "appaling" graphics when you compare it to most flagship franchises from multimillion game companies.

What's absurd is this line of thought that TS5 could never work with open world because the demand would be too high on the laptops supposedly used owned by most of the userbase. That might be the case if the game actually had AAA super graphics which NEVER was the case with The Sims games. It's sincerely just up to them to optimize it well enough so that the game runs good. Quite frankly expecting "realistic" graphics out of 5 feels like wishful thinking and youtube clickbait tier trailers.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @Cinebar

Rome wasn't built in one day, complex projects require time even if at the end not everybody is satisfied by the result.

The Sims 4 is incomplete because the surveys showed several themes and gameplay to add to the game.
    But there are a few things which would be enough for me to feel the game complete :
    • Zombies
    • Werewolves
    • Bunk beds
    • Heterochromia iridum
    • Prostheses

This is my base content, the other things are optional expansions.
  • Options
    AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    edited June 2020
    We'll definitely be getting a Sims 5, Sims 4 can only stably run with so many packs before it breaks and besides we already have to deal with updates that do that just fine.

I would like to point out that many feel that it is important for the Sims 4 to at least receive the last of its crucial features before dropping support (better babies, generations, cars, burglars, real cops, etc.) If or when this will happen is anyone's guess, I just think it's important to see the message being broadcasted when we allow developers to drop support on a (mostly agreed upon) incomplete game to make a sequel...that will inevitably have the same problems as its predecessor did for the first five years since launch.

We need to be aware of the predatory tactics from AAA companies like EA and Bethesda, and really vote with our wallets. It's been about six years since the Sims 4 released and it's still missing features, so if you aren't happy now, you probably won't be much happier with the sims 5 until several EPs in...because that has been the mainstay approach in "games as service" for the past decade-plus.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    edited June 2020
    @Cinebar

Rome wasn't built in one day, complex projects require time even if at the end not everybody is satisfied by the result.

The Sims 4 is incomplete because the surveys showed several themes and gameplay to add to the game.
    But there are a few things which would be enough for me to feel the game complete :
    • Zombies
    • Werewolves
    • Bunk beds
    • Heterochromia iridum
    • Prostheses

This is my base content, the other things are optional expansions.

The thing is the game is not a city.It is a game.If they had the stuff they had in patches released in the first place.Than lot of this anger would not happen.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    @Horrorgirl6

Yeap, the 2014 basegame was a mistake that they try to fix.

But in 2020, the new players will never know the 2014 mistakes.
  • Options
    @Horrorgirl6

Yeap, the 2014 basegame was a mistake that they try to fix.

But in 2020, the new players will never know the 2014 mistakes.

New players don't live in a vacuum - and they're not stupid or blind! There's a whole bunch of articles and YouTube videos comparing all the iterations and their gameplay and content. Plus TS3 is still being sold. So new players will definitely come to see the big differences and see that the older iterations are a whole lot better than TS4.

• Options
    fmilfmil Posts: 175 Member
    It has been a long time since i last spent money on a sims game! The last one i bought was the sims 4 base game, which i think i got a year after its release? Anyway, i am ready to splurge on this franchise again! It is time, EA! Move on to sims 5 already, and make it glorious! I think sims 4 has plenty of cool and innovative features, but i can't seem to get into it for some reason so i won't be bothered if it ended tomorrow. I might try giving it another chance in the future but it could be that we just arent meant to be.
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    I've basically given up on this franchise that I have dearly loved over the years. It took me a long time to give up on a game that I have really enjoyed over the years, but sadly after disappointment after disappointment the day has arrived a long time ago with 4.

What really saddens me the most is how modders are able to bring features to the game that developers don't take the time to bring into fruition.