Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5? Maxis hiring executive producer, animator, experience designer, senior character artist

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2020
    Karon wrote: »
    xamira99 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there's going to be a TS5 sooner or later, but this preferred experience...

"Knowledge and familiarity with Gen Z players and interests." Are they going to "eliminate" the OG players? :o

Perhaps, they could probably be hiring for the next multiple packs or another spin off.

@xamira99 no girl, I'm gen z and have been playing Sims since the first one. I hope they don't change anything, cuz this gen z one LOVED how sims 2 worked, but it can be improved with open world/better cas/better build and buy... etc...

It's almost like asking them to make sure Gen Z falls within their own ideas of what they should be concerned about rather than what your age group really are and or what you want in these games. It's an overly stereotyping of your generation if you ask me. I know a lot of young people who prefer TS2 or TS3 to TS4 so it's almost like they are saying hey, make sure they support the interests Maxis and EA are interested in if they ignore what you are saying. Like open world vs Eco lifestyle I have to wonder which would have really won. lol Or open world and world editing tools and proper terrain tools and a CASt..vs eco lifestyle..which one would have been the victor when given choices people actually would prefer.

Or astonishingly many, many TS4 (younger) generations of players want story progression back in the games. (Why not play TS3) would a story progression fully fleshed out in TS4 won over eco lifestyle...I'm betting there are so many threads about this (except from those of us who still enjoy the lack of it in TS2) that story progression would have won. I think twitter is not a good guage of what players really think these days.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    AspenSims wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Note not all those jobs listed are for Maxis but for EA. How many other than the one said for Maxis? That makes a difference. Maxis has already hired most of the people to work on the next AAA game, the new executive producer may be needed because someone is leaving?

All of the ones I posted say Maxis.

But not Maxis Redwood.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited May 2020
    I would add Maxis Studios, Maxis Studio XD not Maxis / The Sims

"You will also play an important part in the future of expanding IP from all across Maxis and help guide strategic planning for our game portfolio. "

It sounds like a new Sim-something game

Senior Brand Manager, Maxis HD Live Services Lead, The Sims is the only job about The Sims
    https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/senior-brand-manager-maxis-hd-live-services-lead-the-sims-at-electronic-arts-ea-1833659755
  • Options
    I would add Maxis Studios, Maxis Studio XD not Maxis / The Sims

"You will also play an important part in the future of expanding IP from all across Maxis and help guide strategic planning for our game portfolio. "

It sounds like a new Sim-something game

Senior Brand Manager, Maxis HD Live Services Lead, The Sims is the only job about The Sims
    https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/senior-brand-manager-maxis-hd-live-services-lead-the-sims-at-electronic-arts-ea-1833659755

It's sort of weird that job was listed months ago but the site says three weeks ago. Maybe the ones they hired decided to not take the job and or left already.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah looks like MMO if they need server engineers. Looks like they are trying another online attempt like they did with the Sims 4. Funny how history repeats itself even with gaming.

EA and their repeated failed attempts on making a successful The Sims online game:

20150318032642-Einstein_Frame.jpg?1426674402

PS - I doubt that Einstein coined this phrase, but this pic of him is adorable, lol!

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited May 2020
    Preferred Experience
    Knowledge and familiarity with Gen Z players and interests.

i4u1aVM.png

On a serious note, I saw mention of the Unreal Engine, which would be great for The Sims. Hopefully, this means The Sims 4's remaining time will be short. It's well overdue.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah looks like MMO if they need server engineers. Looks like they are trying another online attempt like they did with the Sims 4. Funny how history repeats itself even with gaming.

EA and their repeated failed attempts on making a successful The Sims online game:

20150318032642-Einstein_Frame.jpg?1426674402

PS - I doubt that Einstein coined this phrase, but this pic of him is adorable, lol!

It is cute, I love that picture. But yes it is like how many times? Five now and counting.

@Sk8rblaze Sim like games look good in Unreal.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei1OlRI6Hp4

Unity and Unreal comparison:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2eXK025uC4

I heard these concepts for the Sims Olympus were done using Unity:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsx-pgwMYew
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    It's sort of weird that job was listed months ago but the site says three weeks ago. Maybe the ones they hired decided to not take the job and or left already.

COVID-19 changes everything with the lockdown in California.

But look at LinkedIn , there are 25 candidates and also people hired for this job.
  • Options
    @Cinebar wrote: »

COVID-19 changes everything with the lockdown in California.

But look at LinkedIn , there are 25 candidates and also people hired for this job.

I get it, but this particular career was offered over on Glassdoor about a year ago.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited May 2020
    I had to look it up. Doesn't seem much different to the players already playing it.
    "Generation Z as generation of people born in the late 1990s and early 2000s." Wikipedia. ie:1997 onwards
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »
    I had to look it up. Doesn't seem much different to the players already playing it.
    "Generation Z as generation of people born in the late 1990s and early 2000s." Wikipedia. ie:1997 onwards

I thought the 90's was the millennial (gen Y) age group. Z is later never having lived without cellphone technology etc. Prefers hashtags etc.
  • Options
    'According to this definition, as of 2020 the oldest member of Generation Z is 23 years old, and the youngest will turn 8 this year.'

Wikipedia again.....
  • Options
    Other sites have other answers about the age groups of each generation.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

I thought the 90's was the millennial (gen Y) age group. Z is later never having lived without cellphone technology etc. Prefers hashtags etc.

Gen Y is around 1979/1981 (depending on where you look) to 1996/1997
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Note not all those jobs listed are for Maxis but for EA. How many other than the one said for Maxis? That makes a difference. Maxis has already hired most of the people to work on the next AAA game, the new executive producer may be needed because someone is leaving?

But not Maxis Redwood.

Also Redwood is not the only Maxis studio anymore.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    edited May 2020

But not Maxis Redwood.

Also Redwood is not the only Maxis studio anymore.

Also The Sims Studio is not the only Maxis studio anymore :p

I'm curious to know what they plan. New IP ? Confirmed !
    They could also develop sequels for MySims, Spore and SimCity.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @AquaGamer1212 @Cinebar

To shorten it

Gen X is the teens/young adults who grew with MTV
    Gen Y is the teens/young adults who grew with Napster, iPod and the first MP3 walkmans. Y is the earphone wire.
    Gen Z is the teens/young adults who grew with Netflix, Facebook and the social networks. Z is Zapping.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2020
    @AquaGamer1212 @Cinebar

To shorten it

Gen Y is the teens/young adults who grew with Napster, iPod and the first MP3 walkmans. Y is the earphone wire.
    Gen Z is the teens/young adults who grew with Netflix, Facebook and the social networks. Z is Zapping.

Actual years used for demographic generations:
    • Baby Boomers: born 1945-1964. Current age: 56 to 75
    • Gen X: born 1965-1980. Current age: 40 to 55.
    • Gen Y/Millennials: born 1981-1996. Current age: 24 to 39. The cutoff is usually said to be at memory of 9/11.
    • Gen Z: born 1997- ? Current age: up 23. Personally, I expect memory of 2020 to be a generational cutoff, so Gen Z will probably end up being 1997-2015, so currently 5 to 23.

As for the Gen Z understanding, game franchises die off if they don't get new players. Not sure what age people think new players are supposed to be?? Not keen on all the looking down noses at a particular generation, either. I find it especially appalling that people who themselves started playing this game in their childhood or early teens would think it wrong to try to appeal to current young people. Were you so much better than they are now? Really?

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Re. the jobs, companies are always hiring, because there's always turnover, and it's common to have the same job title and description for multiple people in a company. Also, it can take a really long time to hire in tech. There's really nothing odd about having the same job come up appear to come up repeatedly.

Re. the engine part, they can't ask for experience on a custom in-house engine, only on something similar.

As for the Sims 5 part... Pretty sure there's a whole lot of wishful thinking happening around that. While we know from Grant that there's something new in development, we also have been told repeatedly by Grant that Sims 4 is very far from done. I highly doubt that what he's working on is a successor game.

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Imagine if the EA prefer to develop '80s games in order to satisfy the Baby Boomer only.

Today people wants 4K, RayTracing, HQ content including the old players who played the 1st Super Mario Bros. or Zelda.
    FF7 Remake is a good example of what improvement the Gen Z's point of view can bring.

The world changes, people changes, the preferences change, the technology changes... that is the evolution !
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    Imagine if the EA prefer to develop '80 games in order to satisfy the Baby Boomer only.

Today people wants 4K, RayTracing, HQ content including the old players who played the 1st Super Mario Bros. or Zelda.
    FF7 Remake is a good example of what improvement the Gen Z's point of view brought to the original game.

The world changes, people changes, the preferences change, the technology changes... that is the evolution !

but do not forget that some players prefers offline games not all players are into online gaming and for me honestly as a player who prefers the sims5 to remain an offline game minus the gallry online features would be a major down for me when it comes to the sims game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    but do not forget that some players prefers offline games not all players are into online gaming and for me honestly as a player who prefers the sims5 to remain an offline game minus the gallry online features would be a major down for me when it comes to the sims game

It depends on what services are brought
    • Autosave
    • Play anywhere
    • Savegame in the cloud
    • Collaborative game like Minecraft
    • 24/7 Story progression
    • Smarter NPC (Machine learning)

I'm not sure the players are against the features.
    Personally I only dislike 2 things with online : MMO and No Mod/CC.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @AquaGamer1212 @Cinebar

To shorten it

Actual years used for demographic generations:
    • Baby Boomers: born 1945-1964. Current age: 56 to 75
    • Gen X: born 1965-1980. Current age: 40 to 55.
    • Gen Y/Millennials: born 1981-1996. Current age: 24 to 39. The cutoff is usually said to be at memory of 9/11.
    • Gen Z: born 1997- ? Current age: up 23. Personally, I expect memory of 2020 to be a generational cutoff, so Gen Z will probably end up being 1997-2015, so currently 5 to 23.

As for the Gen Z understanding, game franchises die off if they don't get new players. Not sure what age people think new players are supposed to be?? Not keen on all the looking down noses at a particular generation, either. I find it especially appalling that people who themselves started playing this game in their childhood or early teens would think it wrong to try to appeal to current young people. Were you so much better than they are now? Really?

You've forgotten the Silent Generation, pre 1945. They are still around you know and currently I'm seeing more and more on my Twitter feeds! :)
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    people are so worried about this gen z thing, like guys, there are gen z people out there with kids already. chill out. they're just moving along with the times, it happens.
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    people are so worried about this gen z thing, like guys, there are gen z people out there with kids already. chill out. they're just moving along with the times, it happens.

Even if that wasn't the case why do people act like they didn't start playing the game when they were 8. Like the team is expecting kids and teenagers to be new customers for the game and not 30 year olds. Not saying new customers are not that age but the gen z generation is the right generation to target for a new game. Just like in 10 years the next generation will be the one they target.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr