Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5? Maxis hiring executive producer, animator, experience designer, senior character artist

13...Next

Comments

• auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    people are so worried about this gen z thing, like guys, there are gen z people out there with kids already. chill out. they're just moving along with the times, it happens.

Even if that wasn't the case why do people act like they didn't start playing the game when they were 8. Like the team is expecting kids and teenagers to be new customers for the game and not 30 year olds. Not saying new customers are not that age but the gen z generation is the right generation to target for a new game. Just like in 10 years the next generation will be the one they target.

I'm not saying they shouldn't target the newer generation but they should still consider the people who are already playing the game too. Otherwise you'll have only new players whilst the people who've been playing for years end up not buying newer packs. There should be a balance and they should definitely continue to do surveys to get an idea of what their community wants. They will never be able to make everyone happy but at least engaging and doing surveys with the community will help them see what their customers want and how to move forward. By only catering to certain genders or generations they miss a big part of the community.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2020
    @AquaGamer1212 @Cinebar

To shorten it

Gen X is the teens/young adults who grew with MTV
    Gen Y is the teens/young adults who grew with Napster, iPod and the first MP3 walkmans. Y is the earphone wire.
    Gen Z is the teens/young adults who grew with Netflix, Facebook and the social networks. Z is Zapping.

Actual years used for demographic generations:
    • Baby Boomers: born 1945-1964. Current age: 56 to 75
    • Gen X: born 1965-1980. Current age: 40 to 55.
    • Gen Y/Millennials: born 1981-1996. Current age: 24 to 39. The cutoff is usually said to be at memory of 9/11.
    • Gen Z: born 1997- ? Current age: up 23. Personally, I expect memory of 2020 to be a generational cutoff, so Gen Z will probably end up being 1997-2015, so currently 5 to 23.

As for the Gen Z understanding, game franchises die off if they don't get new players. Not sure what age people think new players are supposed to be?? Not keen on all the looking down noses at a particular generation, either. I find it especially appalling that people who themselves started playing this game in their childhood or early teens would think it wrong to try to appeal to current young people. Were you so much better than they are now? Really?

No one is is hating on Gen. Z It's the fact they advertised they want that influence for the game more so than their older fanbase who has remained their core for twenty years. I know games must expand and get newer generations but it seems Redwood thinks somehow older more seasoned players don't actually fill their coffers and Gen Z would be easier to please. I'm wondering how TS4 would have faired if the older, loyal fanbase had not helped get TS4's bad start off the ground (out of some sense of misplaced loyalty) if we, (TS4) would even be here right now, six years later. Everyone should realize TS4's rocky start was saved by the older, core fanbase and not the newer players who could take it or leave it.
    What did they care a pool or toddler wasn't in the game? It was fine with them, but Maxis saw the core wasn't going to go for it. Or we wouldn't be here right now. Let me expand this. It seems Maxis had to give away and put on sale more than a dozen times the base and packs to 'get new players' while an older generation of more seasoned players left.

And I will add this, The Sims is a niche group of type of player. Gen Z has many more things to distract them these days than buy over and over The Sims. It's the core that has carried Maxis all these years, we didn't expect free packs or a free base. But to attract them that is what Maxis has had to do. TS4 is what it is, and I don't expect anyone will play this game ten years from now like they have the older games. Nor do I expect a new generation of players will still be there for Maxis twenty years later. Not when they want to go in a new direction and drop their core fanbase over and over.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @AquaGamer1212 @Cinebar

To shorten it

Gen X is the teens/young adults who grew with MTV
    Gen Y is the teens/young adults who grew with Napster, iPod and the first MP3 walkmans. Y is the earphone wire.
    Gen Z is the teens/young adults who grew with Netflix, Facebook and the social networks. Z is Zapping.

Actual years used for demographic generations:
    • Baby Boomers: born 1945-1964. Current age: 56 to 75
    • Gen X: born 1965-1980. Current age: 40 to 55.
    • Gen Y/Millennials: born 1981-1996. Current age: 24 to 39. The cutoff is usually said to be at memory of 9/11.
    • Gen Z: born 1997- ? Current age: up 23. Personally, I expect memory of 2020 to be a generational cutoff, so Gen Z will probably end up being 1997-2015, so currently 5 to 23.

As for the Gen Z understanding, game franchises die off if they don't get new players. Not sure what age people think new players are supposed to be?? Not keen on all the looking down noses at a particular generation, either. I find it especially appalling that people who themselves started playing this game in their childhood or early teens would think it wrong to try to appeal to current young people. Were you so much better than they are now? Really?

No one is is hating on Gen. Z It's the fact they advertised they want that influence for the game more so than their older fanbase who has remained their core for twenty years. I know games must expand and get newer generations but it seems Redwood thinks somehow older more seasoned players don't actually fill their coffers and Gen Z would be easier to please. I'm wondering how TS4 would have faired if the older, loyal fanbase had not helped get TS4's bad start off the ground (out of some sense of misplaced loyalty) if we, (TS4) would even be here right now, six years later. Everyone should realize TS4's rocky start was saved by the older, core fanbase and not the newer players who could take it or leave it.
    What did they care a pool or toddler wasn't in the game? It was fine with them, but Maxis saw the core wasn't going to go for it. Or we wouldn't be here right now. Let me expand this. It seems Maxis had to give away and put on sale more than a dozen times the base and packs to 'get new players' while an older generation of more seasoned players left.

And I will add this, The Sims is a niche group of type of player. Gen Z has many more things to distract them these days than buy over and over The Sims. It's the core that has carried Maxis all these years, we didn't expect free packs or a free base. But to attract them that is what Maxis has had to do. TS4 is what it is, and I don't expect anyone will play this game ten years from now like they have the older games. Nor do I expect a new generation of players will still be there for Maxis twenty years later. Not when they want to go in a new direction and drop their core fanbase over and over.
    Actually there are Gen Z players that have played since the Sims 1 because their parents would play it with them. People in general have a lot of distractions with tech. Why do you think they are getting bored during this pandemic? Because they aren't keeping busy doing chores like a responsible adult, exercising, organizing their finances, and learning new skills like cooking or a new language. They just keep putting life off like they did before with all these distractions.

My nephew is a Gen Z and very hard working too and honestly it is because of my family I want to leave a legacy for them and make sure that they are safe. I raised him not to be a lazy gamer and so proud how he is growing up now. <3
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    Thanks for clarifying the Generations, I'll have to tell my 25 yr.old daughter that she's not a milliual that she is actually Gen X.
    For myself, I've always suspected that I was
    Gen Y, the MTV generation & not the Hippie generation.
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying the Generations, I'll have to tell my 25 yr.old daughter that she's not a milliual that she is actually Gen X.
    Why I laughed when the upcoming pack was called made for hippies. I was like oh cool, then made for older Simmers then.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Gen Z would be the kids of today, tomorrow's TS5 money bags.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Odd they named them Gen Z, (society) what is that the last generation, or do we start over next generation with Gen. A like hurricane names.

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,627 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

25 - Millennial, not Gen X
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    What will be interesting to me is what TS5 will bring but how TS4 players who aren't Gen Z will find horribly wrong with TS5. lol That might be worth some popcorn. Just kidding, but I'm sure when Maxis drops the TS4 consumer for the more lucrative new players' money and broader influence of TS5 they will come to terms they are no longer needed to build that new fan base. And wanting groups and or whatever TS4 offered in TS5 will fall on deaf ears just like so many request for things in TS4 fell on deaf ears because no need to add some things since it was so prosperous. It will be the same feeling so many who still play the older games have come to know, no longer appreciated for their time and trouble with ideas to build better products.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member

Odd they named them Gen Z, (society) what is that the last generation, or do we start over next generation with Gen. A like hurricane names.

The UK's The Guardian newspaper seems to have an idea!

Maligned as feckless, entitled, absorbed by screens and uninterested in sex, millennials have been a favourite punchbag for some time. Generation Z , born from mid-1990 on, are next in line for a kicking. After them are Generation Alpha, the first group of millennials’ children, born from about 2011 until 2025. Henry Rose Lee, the intergenerational speaker and author, describes them as “millennials on steroids”.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2019/jan/04/move-over-millennials-and-gen-z-here-comes-generation-alpha
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,182 Member
    I guess I'm generation early z ?
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited May 2020
    @Cinebar wrote: »

Next is Gen. Alpha ! There is no Gen. A

"Most members of Generation Alpha are the children of Millennials."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Alpha

Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited May 2020
    Please do not hate your children, they are the future of The Sims.

Just teach them the good values :p !
    Please do not hate your children, they are the future of The Sims.

Just teach them the good values :p !
    This. I so want to continue to teach my nephews and niece good values. Plus they are grandchildren too for some Simmers. I never understood complaining just for oneself. Seems meaningless because life doesn't last forever and honestly was sad losing Writin_Reg last year. She left a legacy for younger Simmers and I hope to one day do the same for my little Simmers family.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Here is to getting a TS5 announcement at some point this year! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg