Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I know right, that's why I said it is useless to hope for any other company to build a life simulator like this series. And yes, City Skylines has been Origin for a few years or more. So, EA swallowed up them, too.

I don't mind this setup at all! If EA doesn't want to do life simulation games anymore and give it to Paradox to do a better job and then sell it on their Origin website, then I'm completely fine with that!
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    P.s. Read the second reply after writing this one but I’d like to leave it at this. Travelling is not a problem for me, on the contrary, I love it in the game and deeply miss it in Sims 4. That part is opinion. All I wanted to say was that overall travelling in an open world doesn’t take more time than travelling in Sims 4. It’s just taking time in a different way. That’s not opinion, you can clock it. And either way I don’t even care, it’s not the waiting I mind where loading screens are concerned.

I completely agree with that sentiment! I actually love travel in TS3 because it is part of the immersion when playing that game. Plus the worlds are so beautiful! I often aim the camera up so that I can watch the scenery pass by while my sim is on the move from one place to another in a world.

In my current playthough, my sim is a travel writer who often travels to other worlds, especially in Al Simhara and Shang Simla where many of the places don't have roads connected to them and need to be traveled to on foot. I just love it because both places are so beautiful. Really, a big part of the travel in TS3 is to enjoy the scenery and experience the "expansiveness" of those worlds.

In TS4, and yes, even TS2, those loading screens are so boring, it really does get irritating to see after a short while, especially if you're the type of simmer who likes having their sims go to other lots several times per day to take advantage of playing the whole map.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    mirta000 wrote: »
    This maybe bit off-topic, but kind of important. Pssst:

*SCREAM!* Oh my gosh, I hope so! EA, you've got competition! Karma will get you every time when you start taking advantage of your loyal simmers and giving them poor-quality like TS4!

Well - do we really. Rod Humble was one of the heads on the Sims for 6 or 7 years and from my understanding he signed an iron clad agreement/contract not to share or disclose in any manner the game. Even though he may have loved to do such a thing - the odds of him doing so with out EA's blessing is probably impossible. That is an issue no one seems to consider.

EA makes no qualms against reflecting on the Sims as one of their Flagship properties - so you can bet Rod Humble would not even consider going through on that path if the game he made was remotely like the Sims without EA's full agreement and support. EA shows no signs of even considering withdrawing from making Sims games that I can see - in fact the seem very much wrapped up in moving ahead with the Sims and that service with new systems they've been working on and building for the last 8 or so years with the Sims - like their S>E>E>D Program for one.

Of course it is EA - so we never know but if anything the heads speak eagerly of the Sims and it's future - not it's demise - and the fact it's doing better than ever only encourages that as far as I can see. But you just never know - I just know Rod Humble would be hard pressed to make a Sims game any of us recognized though - especially some where else when EA sees the future with their Sims game. It's a fact what he did here he cannot do there - just because he worked here - even Will Wright could not do that - and that is a fact. )actually Rod Humble was head of the Sims Division up until Dec of 2010 - so technically he was responsible also for Sim 4 and coincidentally up until that time when he left Sims 4 was being built as an online game. After he left the devs changed direction and started adapting it to being an offline game. But the Sims 4 was really his baby more or less.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited March 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

*SCREAM!* Oh my gosh, I hope so! EA, you've got competition! Karma will get you every time when you start taking advantage of your loyal simmers and giving them poor-quality like TS4!

Well - do we really. Rod Humble was one of the heads on the Sims for 6 or 7 years and from my understanding he signed an iron clad agreement/contract not to share or disclose in any manner the game. Even though he may have loved to do such a thing - the odds of him doing so with out EA's blessing is probably impossible. That is an issue no one seems to consider.

EA makes no qualms against reflecting on the Sims as one of their Flagship properties - so you can bet Rod Humble would not even consider going through on that path if the game he made was remotely like the Sims without EA's full agreement and support. EA shows no signs of even considering withdrawing from making Sims games that I can see - in fact the seem very much wrapped up in moving ahead with the Sims and that service with new systems they've been working on and building for the last 8 or so years with the Sims - like their S>E>E>D Program for one.

Of course it is EA - so we never know but if anything the heads speak eagerly of the Sims and it's future - not it's demise - and the fact it's doing better than ever only encourages that as far as I can see. But you just never know - I just know Rod Humble would be hard pressed to make a Sims game any of us recognized though - especially some where else when EA sees the future with their Sims game. It's a fact what he did here he cannot do there - just because he worked here - even Will Wright could not do that - and that is a fact. )actually Rod Humble was head of the Sims Division up until Dec of 2010 - so technically he was responsible also for Sim 4 and coincidentally up until that time when he left Sims 4 was being built as an online game. After he left the devs changed direction and started adapting it to being an offline game. But the Sims 4 was really his baby more or less.

Paradox are or have also moved in to Silicon Valley so in the best of all possible worlds one could imagine a collaboration like the Maxis-Firaxis one of both businesses, together, putting their best efforts into making a Sims 5 worthy of the name. Doubt it though. :(
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    sadly can not go back in time so you will need to learn to accep how the sims franchise is now

Or try to voice up & giving EA ideas to improve this franchise.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    sadly can not go back in time so you will need to learn to accep how the sims franchise is now

Or try to voice up & giving EA ideas to improve this franchise.

I totally agree. I really question "simmers" who say that we should just accept fewer and more inferior features while paying more, smh....
  • Options

Lol, you're already trashing the competition? That's so sad! It's only speculation at this point and I'm just having fun being excited about the possibility. Cool your jets!
  • Options

Lol, you're already trashing the competition? That's so sad! It's only speculation at this point and I'm just having fun being excited about the possibility. Cool your jets!

What! What trashing the Competition are you talking about. Where do you get that out of this post? Besides there is no competition thus far anyway - not likely it can be trashed when it doesn't exist.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

What! What trashing the Competition are you talking about. Where do you get that out of this post? Besides there is no competition thus far anyway - not likely it can be trashed when it doesn't exist.

It would be great if The Sims franchise DOES have competition, because then they wouldn't do such shoddy work like they have on TS4. And the way your post reads, it's as if to quell any hope of such possibility - it DID dash my hopes for better things for the life simulation genre. From now on, if I'm happy that things might get better in the life simulation genre in these forums whether EA is involved or not, just please leave me alone. I already hate what has happened with TS4 and I don't know if things will continue that way IF there is even a TS5.
  • Options
    SeloBeeSeloBee Posts: 177 Member
    edited March 2019
    I have hope that we can get SOME sort of competition for the Sims franchise; while it's a monopoly they can do whatever they want and unfortunately people will still buy into it even if (gosh forbid) the quality etc. gets even worse than it already seems. Of course we cannot expect it to be anything at all like the Sims most of us have come to know and love, but does that ultimately mean it will be a bad game or come out as something other than life simulation? Personally I don't think so. It'll take years of planning and skating on the ice around everything that is copyrighted by EA, but surely someone can do it eventually! As naive as it may be, I have hope! :heart:

With that being said, my own opinion about TS4 is that if it's going this way, let it die. Honestly it truly has had a great run that not many other games can accomplish, I mean 20+ years is quite a feat! And although I personally do not care at all for this iteration, apparently there are others who do and I say let em have it. I've been disappointed one too many times in the past with EA, and I'm more than happy to stick with the iterations that I do love, I'm even willing to work around OS's in order to continue to play them, because I care about those versions. Competition would be a nice thing to (hopefully) give EA the kick in the butt they need, but either way I've got the games I love, and there's even CC still being made for both TS2 and TS3 that I know of, which helps to keep the game "new" and interesting. I have so many wonderful ideas and hopes for TS5, but like I said I've already been disappointed because I had high hopes for TS4 as well, so really at this point I guess I'm kinda just "live and let live" for the franchise. Hope can only take us so far (but I still have it! :tongue: )
    The world is quiet here
  • Options
    GemSixxGemSixx Posts: 144 Member

I just got S2 UC last night. I've never payed S2 before. I played long enough last night to make a couple of sims. I can already tell that it's going to take some getting used to, but that's not a bad thing.

I got started on the Sims with 1, but I only had the base game. When S2 came out, I didn't get anything for it - having 2 young kids at the time, I could not afford to spend what little money I did have on games. Then some years ago my son bought Sims Life Stories for me. That got me started back at simming. I was able to start building my S3 collection after that, but ever so slowly. The day before yesterday finally I got the last 2 stuff packs I needed for S3 for $10 (I do not need nor want the Katy Perry pack)- now all that's left are some store items (that I don't really need but still want - you can never have too many hairstyles ;) ).

My point being, if they want to give S4 three more years, I have plenty to keep me entertained until then. I just really really hope that they're already working on S5 and that it will be a lot better than S4.

Now I just need to decide whether I'm going to open 2 or 3 today. :)

Completely done with EA

• Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    edited March 2019
    I know right, that's why I said it is useless to hope for any other company to build a life simulator like this series. And yes, City Skylines has been Origin for a few years or more. So, EA swallowed up them, too.

I don't mind this setup at all! If EA doesn't want to do life simulation games anymore and give it to Paradox to do a better job and then sell it on their Origin website, then I'm completely fine with that!

I'm very much okay with the franchise be changed to another set of developers, too. Hopefully, it'll be a completely new set of people... I'd prefer it that way. And at the very least City Skylines made a better product and made EA scramble to swallow the competition. Cheers to them having to scramble every time that they suck.
    Post edited by Bagoas77 on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    GemSixx wrote: »
    I just got S2 UC last night. I've never payed S2 before. I played long enough last night to make a couple of sims. I can already tell that it's going to take some getting used to, but that's not a bad thing.

I got started on the Sims with 1, but I only had the base game. When S2 came out, I didn't get anything for it - having 2 young kids at the time, I could not afford to spend what little money I did have on games. Then some years ago my son bought Sims Life Stories for me. That got me started back at simming. I was able to start building my S3 collection after that, but ever so slowly. The day before yesterday finally I got the last 2 stuff packs I needed for S3 for $10 (I do not need nor want the Katy Perry pack)- now all that's left are some store items (that I don't really need but still want - you can never have too many hairstyles ;) ).

My point being, if they want to give S4 three more years, I have plenty to keep me entertained until then. I just really really hope that they're already working on S5 and that it will be a lot better than S4.

Now I just need to decide whether I'm going to open 2 or 3 today. :)

You're in for a big treat! TS2 is what TS4 wished it was. It has the best fleshed out animations for everything and jam-packed with so much gameplay. You will see sims entering and exiting cars and not just teleport into them. The business mechanics are better than in TS3 although it can still be improved. I think I actually like Ani's Savvier Seller mod for TS3 the most which combines the best of both business mechanics from TS2 and TS3. Opening a restaurant in TS2 is super easy and I just prefer so much more to TS3's Business as Usual set. I also like creating and managing hotels in TS2 better than in TS3.

I still love TS3 more than any iteration, but TS2 is another reason why I don't ever feel the need to buy TS4. If ever I need to play a closed world game on a rare occasion, it's always TS2 for me!

I read somewhere that they stopped offering the game from Origin (I guess so people will buy TS4 instead, lol!).
  • Options
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

I'm very much okay with the franchise be changed to another set of developers, too. Hopefully, it'll be a completely new set of people... I'd prefer it that way. And at the very least City Skylines made a better product and made EA scramble to swallow the competition. Cheers to them having to scramble every time that they suck.

It's because EA lost vision and fresh ideas for SimCity. They honestly thought that genre couldn't get any better. Paradox proved them wrong!

That should be a lesson to them that they need to apply to The Sims franchise.

I don't know if EA swallowed up the competition. City Skylines is sold on Steam as well, oftentimes with much better deals. Either way, Paradox is sitting pretty.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

It's because EA lost vision and fresh ideas for SimCity. They honestly thought that genre couldn't get any better. Paradox proved them wrong!

I don't know if EA swallowed up the competition. City Skylines is sold on Steam as well, oftentimes with much better deals. Either way, Paradox is sitting pretty.

Ironic - Rod Humble - the CEO going to Paradox was in charge of THAT SIM City that failed. He was not at EA/Maxis when all the other Sim Cities were - Will Wright was in charge of all those. Could be the fact Will Wright who had made all the previous ones through Sims City 4 was gone - and Rob Humble did what he does best - make online games and one of the real reasons Sim City bit the dust. It had nothing to do with EA's vision - they never did a Sim City until the mobile version which is still doing amazing for EA - but they put the Sim City game in Rod Humbles hands as he was in charge of Maxis then. On top of it he left even before the job was completely done. EA did not do the Sim Societies either that was so horrible - a third party did those and also failed.

I am also curious why Second Life let him go. I was reading their forum from the time he was let go there and all the gamers there had no clue, but one said he was hoping that would happen. He never said why though.

For the record no Sim City was ever built at the EA Campus - they were all built at the other Maxis Studios with the last one built at Emeryville Maxis Studio. It was closed down by EA permanently after they pulled Sim City 2013.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited March 2019

Ironic - Rod Humble - the CEO going to Paradox was in charge of THAT SIM City that failed. He was not at EA/Maxis when all the other Sim Cities were - Will Wright was in charge of all those. Could be the fact Will Wright who had made all the previous ones through Sims City 4 was gone - and Rob Humble did what he does best - make online games and one of the real reasons Sim City bit the dust. It had nothing to do with EA's vision - they never did a Sim City until the mobile version which is still doing amazing for EA - but they put the Sim City game in Rod Humbles hands as he was in charge of Maxis then. On top of it he left even before the job was completely done. EA did not do the Sim Societies either that was so horrible - a third party did those and also failed.

I am also curious why Second Life let him go. I was reading their forum from the time he was let go there and all the gamers there had no clue, but one said he was hoping that would happen. He never said why though.

For the record no Sim City was ever built at the EA Campus - they were all built at the other Maxis Studios with the last one built at Emeryville Maxis Studio. It was closed down by EA permanently after they pulled Sim City 2013.

I don’t think he was? The credits Here don’t mention Rod Humble at all. At best he is credited for having worked on Sim Cities Societies.

General manager at the time was Lucy Bradshaw.

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

They got arrogant and told people what they wanted rather than give them want they wanted. No one asked for online play, no one asked for an online only sim city game and that was what we got. No one wanted tiny lots for building.

And to add insult to injury those that bought it couldn’t play due to crappy servers so EA had to give refunds.

I loved Sim city. But EA killed it.

Sad thing is I see a parallel between how they handled sim city and the way they have/are handling sims 4.

I am very excited and intrigued by Rod Humble taking over a Paradox studio.
  • Options
    Maybe Paradox are moving to Silicon Valley to easily poach the best programmers from other game businesses, (including ex or present EA employees? No expensive moves. ;):) It's interesting and might force EA/Maxis to up their game fast.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member

They got arrogant and told people what they wanted rather than give them want they wanted. No one asked for online play, no one asked for an online only sim city game and that was what we got. No one wanted tiny lots for building.

And to add insult to injury those that bought it couldn’t play due to plum servers so EA had to give refunds.

I loved Sim city. But EA killed it.

Sad thing is I see a parallel between how they handled sim city and the way they have/are handling sims 4.

I am very excited and intrigued by Rod Humble taking over a Paradox studio.

Yeah, ts4 if-it-doesn't-make-us-money-then-you-ain't-getting-ts5-comprende? was a kick in the face... in my "Humble" opinion. I'd like a reckoning on so many levels.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2019

I don’t think he was? The credits Here don’t mention Rod Humble at all. At best he is credited for having worked on Sim Cities Societies.

I think she means Rod Humble was still around in 2010 when rumors were flying they were building another Sim game. Then Frank Gebeau took over as president. Lucy Bradshaw was general manager of Maxis. And John (can't remember his name, left) but there have been a few hands change from General Manager, to CEO to President etc. I'm pretty sure he was still around for a few more years until he went to Second Life and Frank Gerbeua moved to mobile a few years ago, then to Zynga in 2016. And Lucy Bradshaw to mobile iirc. ETA: There is the people at top of EA and the people of Maxis and other gaming franchises. I'm thinking he was still around and over in EA's part and not Maxis part. But I could be wrong it all gets fuzzy following these people but some of us do because that tells us what direction a game is going to go by what they bring to a company or division.
  • Options

I swear some people here work for EA and/or own stock in it. I wish there was an ignore button so I can filter them out. I don't believe anything they post anymore.

I looked him up too and there's no mention of him working on SimCity or on TS4. He's only credited for TS2 and TS3 - the best and most profitable iterations of the series.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2019

I swear some people here work for EA and/or own stock in it. I wish there was an ignore button so I can filter them out. I don't believe anything they post anymore.

I looked him up too and there's no mention of him working on SimCity or on TS4. He's only credited for TS2 and TS3 - the best and most profitable iterations of the series.

He is also the reason TS3 has many rpg elements. And some of his green lighting some things about TS3 is not liked by TS2 players at all. If he should work on a life simulator for that other company (as lead) I'm pretty sure being a sandbox, open-ended, life simulator player I'm not going to to like his vision. No hope there in my opinion. ETA: He took over at Maxis after Bell during the end production of Seasons. I'm not a fan at all of Free Time's buff system.
  • Options
    @ClarionOfJoy All you have to do is to click on their name, go to their page, click the silhouette tab next to Message and Ignore. Of course you may not see this message if someone has told you already. o:)
  • Options

He is also the reason TS3 has many rpg elements. And some of his green lighting some things about TS3 is not liked by TS2 players at all. If he should work on a life simulator for that other company (as lead) I'm pretty sure being a sandbox, open-ended, life simulator player I'm not going to to like his vision. No hope there in my opinion. ETA: He took over at Maxis after Bell during the end production of Seasons. I'm not a fan at all of Free Time's buff system.

I realize you prefer TS2 over TS3 hence your dislike of Rod Humble, but I'm a die-hard TS3 player that liked everything about TS3, so I'm fine with him.

I also liked everything about TS2 from the first pack to the last, including his work, so.... *Shrug* I just don't have anything against him.

Besides, people by nature don't stay the same. If he's smart, all he has to do is read the posts on all the Sims forums here and elsewhere to get an accurate picture of what simmers want and don't want and develop the game accordingly.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Simburian wrote: »
    @ClarionOfJoy All you have to do is to click on their name, go to their page, click the silhouette tab next to Message and Ignore. Of course you may not see this message if someone has told you already. o:)

Thank you so much! It's done!

PS: I'm not an Ignore Button-masher. It takes a lot for someone to have me put them on ignore.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top