Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Cinebar
    Five years old in Sept. less than six months and we still haven't seen swimming in oceans, slow dancing, and a very long laundry list of things that one would think would be in a game like this.

And no cars either I guess. Perhaps it would be a bit daft of me to mention that there is no Open World as you will never get that in TS4 and I doubt you would get to customise and build your own neighbourhoods.

Oh well at least they added some stuff such as apartments, only without the option to edit them of course

:disappointed:

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited March 2019
    What I think is not the issue here. Breaking forum rules is.[/quote]

@simgirl1010 Could you delete the link from your quote before the mods see it? You've got it on your first reply.
    edited March 2019
    @king_of_simcity7 I find the Parliament channel more interesting than any of the news channels now. Pure drama! We are living in "interesting times" Any Sims game should use the British Parliament for a Politics career. Drama, greed, loyalty, idiocy....we have it all. :) If I want humour I go to CNN.
    @Simburian Yes interesting times indeed. We are not really allowed o talk about stuff like that on the forums but I will have to say that I am enjoying every moment of it! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited March 2019
    @Simburian Yes interesting times indeed. We are not really allowed o talk about stuff like that on the forums but I will have to say that I am enjoying every moment of it! :D

I don't know. EA/Maxis would get some real insights into making a true to life game about the breakdown of society and the fight to get it going again! StrangerVille brought similarities to mind - like dazed citizens. :)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I doubt any company would take on EA to try to recreate a real life simulator. They can float around the edges like in virutal villager games or virtual family games, or even games on mobile devices. But EA sort of owns the rights to make a character that has to eat, sleep, socialize, bathe, and get a job. There are lots of games that mimic life, but none of them will offer motives like The Sims, nor offer open-ended gameplay. EA will sue. Most of the games are more goal driven with fewer motives which don't even matter unless it interrupts a goal, so I doubt any big or small company wants to be sued by EA. And if someone should take on the giant, they would just be bought up and swallowed up anyway. It's useless to hope someday there are more of these games that would mimic life on a bigger scale.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Simburian wrote: »

I don't know. EA/Maxis would get some real insights into making a true to life game about the breakdown of society and the fight to get it going again! StrangerVille brought similarities to mind - like dazed citizens. :)

A mission mode in The Sims then?

Everything has gone wrong and your Sims have to try and fix it!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I doubt any company would take on EA to try to recreate a real life simulator. They can float around the edges like in virutal villager games or virtual family games, or even games on mobile devices. But EA sort of owns the rights to make a character that has to eat, sleep, socialize, bathe, and get a job. There are lots of games that mimic life, but none of them will offer motives like The Sims, nor offer open-ended gameplay. EA will sue. Most of the games are more goal driven with fewer motives which don't even matter unless it interrupts a goal, so I doubt any big or small company wants to be sued by EA. And if someone should take on the giant, they would just be bought up and swallowed up anyway. It's useless to hope someday there are more of these games that would mimic life on a bigger scale.

Yes any attempt to match The Sims has always fallen flat
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    edited March 2019
    But EA sort of owns the rights to make a character that has to eat, sleep, socialize, bathe, and get a job.

Sorry, you can't copyright that. You can copyright the exact UI system for needs, but tweak needs a bit and you're fine. Not the same layout, not all/ add more needs and you're golden.
    EA does not own life simulation, the same way that they did not own city simulation (and we got a competitor there), nor hospital simulation (and we freely got a competitor there).
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

Actually the best version of Sim City was long done by EA - when they made Sim City 4 - there has been nothing better - EA or anyone since that pack and co-incidentally the same map system Sims 2 used. We could make our own map templates for Sims 2 using Sim City 4.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Actually the best version of Sim City was long done by EA - when they made Sim City 4 - there has been nothing better - EA or anyone since that pack and co-incidentally the same map system Sims 2 used. We could make our own map templates for Sims 2 using Sim City 4.

Depends. I like Cities: Skylines better despite having played Sim City 2000, 3000 and 4. (Sim City Societies was such a disappointment). Though I also liked the Cities XL series too.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    edited March 2019
    @Cinebar
    Five years old in Sept. less than six months and we still haven't seen swimming in oceans, slow dancing, and a very long laundry list of things that one would think would be in a game like this.

And no cars either I guess. Perhaps it would be a bit daft of me to mention that there is no Open World as you will never get that in TS4 and I doubt you would get to customise and build your own neighbourhoods.

Oh well at least they added some stuff such as apartments, only without the option to edit them of course

:disappointed:

I've been able to edit apartments. I just clicked on the wall like I would for a house. You can't edit outside of your apartment boundaries of course. But that's one thing I can say 4 added that is great. I always got aggravated at my editing limits in 2&3 apartments.
    I would say cars are about as moot as open world. There was a clear progressions from 2, in response *I think* to complaints. In Sims 2 you had to place your driveway in a certain spot so that the car's movement was animated properly. People hated the limit, so in Sims 3 the driveway could go anywhere. This resulted in Sims teleporting in the car to the road to avoid having any issues trying to animate the car. Then people complained about the teleporting and how slow it was to drive around. So they just got rid of it altogether. I often feel like they ignore complaints, but this is one case where I think they heard them. If ever they decided to put cars in, I'm sure they'd just be decoration, which would give people something else to complain about.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01

SimCity RushHour was my all time favourite game. I spent more time making worlds for Sims 2, I think, than actually playing with any Sims. I still play it. I could cheat, if I wanted on occasion as I found a CashPark on Simtropolis that gave you as much money as you wanted, so much that I had to remove it! It had humour as well. I've bought several Cities Skylines' packs but it just isn't the same.
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member

Not at all, EA owns rights to The Sims, not life simulation genre. Anyone can make a life simulator which entails basic needs. That'd be like copyrighting hunger in survival games, almost every survival game has hunger. Much like how Cities Skylines surpass SC2013, a competitor in the life simulation genre is very much needed for the overall health of the genre.
    edited March 2019
    Archieonic wrote: »

Not at all, EA owns rights to The Sims, not life simulation genre. Anyone can make a life simulator which entails basic needs. That'd be like copyrighting hunger in survival games, almost every survival game has hunger. Much like how Cities Skylines surpass SC2013, a competitor in the life simulation genre is very much needed for the overall health of the genre.

Well EA sued Zygna for putting up a game on Facebook that had a kitchen that looked too much like the Sims Social Kitchen and got the entire game removed immediately from Facebook a few days after it came out. Within a few days Zygna lost half their value after that happened (of course nobody said it had anything to do with EA coming after them - but I believe it was more than just a coincidence. ) and on top of it EA pulled all their games off of facebook as well - so it hurt facebook too. I guess their games were pretty popular on Facebook. Of course EA said pulling the games was nothing to do with Zygna - that it was time - but you have to question the timing. A lot of fans on facebook was not happy that played those games.

Of course they never ended up going to court as Zygna made an agreement with them immediately not to copy their flagship games. Oddly though it was never fully disclosed on the actual agreement but I do know Zygnas value was immediately cut in half of what it had been the week before the "agreement". So seems EA can go after anyone if their game even resembles the Sims. This game has more patents and copyrights protecting it than almost any game out there. It does not help other companies knowing EA has a huge legal team, many of which are made up of Federal JUdges on top of it and not just lawyers. They are quick to act too.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

GemSixx wrote: »
    What we really don't need 3 more years of is people trying their best to silence the dissenters.

I don't go on forums for a game I have no vested interest in and complain about how bad it is. In fact, the Sims forums is the only games forum I read or post to. There are PLENTY of games that I don't like. The difference is that I could care less what direction those games go, nor do I care what direction the next iteration of those games will take or if those games will even have another iteration.

I DO care about the Sims. I wouldn't have spent as much money on them as I have if I didn't care. Origin says I've spent 3949 hours playing Sims 4 (although I suspect that at least half those hours the game was paused while I did something else). No one can tell me I haven't given it a chance. I'm all out of chances to give though. I'll continue to play 3 and hope either 5 is as awesome as 4 should have been or someone else will give them some competition.

What makes me upset is that no one can voice their dissent without people trying to silence them and make strawman arguments that have been shot down so many times. Everyone here should know by now that the surest way to get a thread closed is to make it 3 vs 4, because those never turn out well. It seems to me that it's always someone defending 4 that starts the 3 vs 4.

Yes, I'm inclined to agree with you.
  • GemSixxGemSixx Posts: 144 Member

Well EA sued Zygna for putting up a game on Facebook that had a kitchen that looked too much like Bob and Betty Newbies Kitchen and got the entire game removed immediately from Facebook a few days after it came out. Within a few days Zygna lost half their value after that happened (of course nobody said it had anything to do with EA coming after them - but I believe it was more than just a coincidence. ) and on top of it EA pulled all their games off of facebook as well - so it hurt facebook too. I guess their games were pretty popular on Facebook. Of course EA said pulling the games was nothing to do with Zygna - that it was time - but you have to question the timing. A lot of fans on facebook was not happy that played those games.

Of course they never ended up going to court as Zygna made an agreement with them immediately not to copy their flagship games. Oddly though it was never fully disclosed on the actual agreement but I do know Zygnas value was immediately cut in half of what it had been the week before the "agreement". So seems EA can go after anyone if their game even resembles the Sims. This game has more patents and copyrights protecting it than almost any game out there. It does not help other companies knowing EA has a huge legal team, many of which are made up of Federal JUdges on top of it and not just lawyers. They are quick to act too.

Heh. So that sounds like they're saying, "We can't do it right, but we're not going to let anyone else even try to do it right." Or, "If we had some competition, we might actually have to do more and do it right. We don't want to do that because we've gotten so used to having a monopoly and letting our product get weaker and weaker. We'll eventually turn it into something totally different, but we still won't let anyone try to do it better."

I think the passion for the game is dead or dying (for the makers, not the players). I feel like as passion for the game dies, so does the game's quality. The passion for the money the game brings in is thriving though.

Completely done with EA

Well EA sued Zygna for putting up a game on Facebook that had a kitchen that looked too much like Bob and Betty Newbies Kitchen and got the entire game removed immediately from Facebook a few days after it came out. Within a few days Zygna lost half their value after that happened (of course nobody said it had anything to do with EA coming after them - but I believe it was more than just a coincidence. ) and on top of it EA pulled all their games off of facebook as well - so it hurt facebook too. I guess their games were pretty popular on Facebook. Of course EA said pulling the games was nothing to do with Zygna - that it was time - but you have to question the timing. A lot of fans on facebook was not happy that played those games.

Heh. So that sounds like they're saying, "We can't do it right, but we're not going to let anyone else even try to do it right." Or, "If we had some competition, we might actually have to do more and do it right. We don't want to do that because we've gotten so used to having a monopoly and letting our product get weaker and weaker. We'll eventually turn it into something totally different, but we still won't let anyone try to do it better."

I think the passion for the game is dead or dying (for the makers, not the players). I feel like as passion for the game dies, so does the game's quality. The passion for the money the game brings in is thriving though.

The game was The Ville, by Zynga looking a lot like The Sim Social. They have been accused before of copying other companies' games. However, when EA sued them, they claimed SimCity (social) was an exact copy of Zynga's game CityVille...it was both claiming each had copied each others games. Lucy Bradshaw said it didn't matter if EA won the law suit or not but that they send a message. However, the guy over Zynga said EA thinks it owns the rights to send a character to the bathroom.

The message was heard loud and clear for other companies , don't build a life simulator.
    edited March 2019
    You get some little gem games when you collaborate.... SimGolf.....Firaxis and Maxis.
    When Will Wright and Sid Meier worked together
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/31/have-you-played-sid-meiers-simgolf/

The comments gave me insights that I didn't know when I played it.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/31/have-you-played-sid-meiers-simgolf/#comments
    Sims..."‘Mary, the sun is like a shiny new ruble this morning.’
    ‘Ten mornings like this would buy a pair of blue jeans.’............ :D

Still got it and apparently it does play on Windows 7. Always keep a Win. 7 PC!
    edited March 2019
    You get some little gem games when you collaborate.... SimGolf.....Firaxis and Maxis.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/31/have-you-played-sid-meiers-simgolf/#comments

I have that game and had a ball with it for years. I never realized I'd like building golf courses until I played that. It was fun because it let me bring my actual game Sims into the game to play my golf courses. LOL.

Of course it has been years since I played it - and I do not even know if Windows 10 will play it - but I do remember having fun with it. Plus one can't go wrong with Sim Meiers and Will Wright working together. It was a nice playing game too and interesting enough it had no gliches or game problem - like ever.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited March 2019

The game was The Ville, by Zynga looking a lot like The Sim Social. They have been accused before of copying other companies' games. However, when EA sued them, they claimed SimCity (social) was an exact copy of Zynga's game CityVille...it was both claiming each had copied each others games. Lucy Bradshaw said it didn't matter if EA won the law suit or not but that they send a message. However, the guy over Zynga said EA thinks it owns the rights to send a character to the bathroom.

The message was heard loud and clear for other companies , don't build a life simulator.

Also it was Zygna though who got seriously hit by the stock market because of the whole thing - with EA only taking a small hit briefly, then EA rebounded quickly especially after they made an agreement with Zygna without it ever coming to court. Zygna basicly got zapped by Wall Street and devalued bigtime after that, but EA on the other hand took off like a rocket and soared - finally after years of falling prices on the stock exchange they started climbing like nobodies business. Another very good reason many companies who might be thinking of cashing in on a Sims - like game run away instead - fearful of stepping on EA's toes, even if it looks nothing like our Sims. Also that is another problem - if it looks nothing like our Sims - Simmers are less inclined to even try it - so that in itself is also an issue. Just look at how simmers already have issues in our sims when they are not like the former series even. How on earth could another company even think it could compete. It is one of the most time consuming and expensive games out there to make, and hundreds of people on teams to make it (Even the devs at Colossal Order said that on their forum and said at the time they had just 13 Devs) - plus going up against EA and dealing with the long established Simmer community. Can any one really blame competitors for not stepping forward for the challenge?

People bring up Colossals City Skylines - but the fact remains - even their publisher Paradox Interactive even said had Sim City 13 not have failed and was pulled by EA - they never would have published Cities Skylines. Keep in mind Paradox sells games through Origin after Cities Skylines came out - I see that as more than a coincidence too.

I just went and checked and all the Cities Skylines packs are on Origin, as well as the Origin Live Service - Access, along with numerous other Paradox games. So EA gets a cut on those games even without making them. It's a win-win for EA if you asked me. They invest nothing and still make money on the games the only competitor a Maxis game has had.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member

Oh my gosh! Does this bring back memories!

Played this game all the time as a kid, it was so relaxing.

I always ended up playing sandbox mode because I just liked to design and then play the courses. Wish it would run on Windows 10.
    edited March 2019

Oh my gosh! Does this bring back memories!

Played this game all the time as a kid, it was so relaxing.

I always ended up playing sandbox mode because I just liked to design and then play the courses. Wish it would run on Windows 10.

Yes - I know it worked on Windows 7 and I own my own copy of windows 7 but it is not on any of our pcs here right now. I did have it on a laptop of my hubbies but that laptop sort of gave up the ghost when we were Rving for a couple summers - two years ago. LOL. I still have my disk and case and everything.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Also it was Zygna though who got seriously hit by the stock market because of the whole thing - with EA only taking a small hit briefly, then EA rebounded quickly especially after they made an agreement with Zygna without it ever coming to court. Zygna basicly got zapped by Wall Street and devalued bigtime after that, but EA on the other hand took off like a rocket and soared - finally after years of falling prices on the stock exchange they started climbing like nobodies business. Another very good reason many companies who might be thinking of cashing in on a Sims - like game run away instead - fearful of stepping on EA's toes, even if it looks nothing like our Sims. Also that is another problem - if it looks nothing like our Sims - Simmers are less inclined to even try it - so that in itself is also an issue. Just look at how simmers already have issues in our sims when they are not like the former series even. How on earth could another company even think it could compete. It is one of the most time consuming and expensive games out there to make, and hundreds of people on teams to make it (Even the devs at Colossal Order said that on their forum and said at the time they had just 13 Devs) - plus going up against EA and dealing with the long established Simmer community. Can any one really blame competitors for not stepping forward for the challenge?

People bring up Colossals City Skylines - but the fact remains - even their publisher Paradox Interactive even said had Sim City 13 not have failed and was pulled by EA - they never would have published Cities Skylines. Keep in mind Paradox sells games through Origin after Cities Skylines came out - I see that as more than a coincidence too.

I just went and checked and all the Cities Skylines packs are on Origin, as well as the Origin Live Service - Access, along with numerous other Paradox games. So EA gets a cut on those games even without making them. It's a win-win for EA if you asked me. They invest nothing and still make money on the games the only competitor a Maxis game has had.

I know right, that's why I said it is useless to hope for any other company to build a life simulator like this series. And yes, City Skylines has been Origin for a few years or more. So, EA swallowed up them, too.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    This maybe bit off-topic, but kind of important. Pssst:

*SCREAM!* Oh my gosh, I hope so! EA, you've got competition! Karma will get you every time when you start taking advantage of your loyal simmers and giving them poor-quality like TS4!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top