Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    @ClarionOfJoy All you have to do is to click on their name, go to their page, click the silhouette tab next to Message and Ignore. Of course you may not see this message if someone has told you already. o:)

Thank you so much! It's done!

PS: I'm not an Ignore Button-masher. It takes a lot for someone to have me put them on ignore.

There could be two separate conversations going on in the same thread if everybody ignored everyone they didn't agree with! It would be very boring. You do see their messages as a shadow line and can click that to view without unignoring. hth.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Well not reading through 61 pages of thread right now LOL! But personally Sims 4 is my favorite of the franchises and I kind of wish we had another 10 years or other than only three haha
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    @ClarionOfJoy All you have to do is to click on their name, go to their page, click the silhouette tab next to Message and Ignore. Of course you may not see this message if someone has told you already. o:)

Thank you so much! It's done!

PS: I'm not an Ignore Button-masher. It takes a lot for someone to have me put them on ignore.

There could be two separate conversations going on in the same thread if everybody ignored everyone they didn't agree with! It would be very boring. You do see their messages as a shadow line and can click that to view without unignoring. hth.

Yeah, it's the same as in other forums. You still see that they've posted a message, but when skimming through a thread, I don't have to inadvertently read their 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

As I have said, I don't put people on ignore very often or easily, but it was clear in this case that certain people were already trying to turn others against any competition - competition that can actually improve the quality of life simulation games in general. It would certainly cause EA to no longer be complacent about The Sims series and may actually do great things for it to remain on top.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

I'm very much okay with the franchise be changed to another set of developers, too. Hopefully, it'll be a completely new set of people... I'd prefer it that way. And at the very least City Skylines made a better product and made EA scramble to swallow the competition. Cheers to them having to scramble every time that they suck.

It's because EA lost vision and fresh ideas for SimCity. They honestly thought that genre couldn't get any better. Paradox proved them wrong!

That should be a lesson to them that they need to apply to The Sims franchise.

I don't know if EA swallowed up the competition. City Skylines is sold on Steam as well, oftentimes with much better deals. Either way, Paradox is sitting pretty.

Ironic - Rod Humble - the CEO going to Paradox was in charge of THAT SIM City that failed. He was not at EA/Maxis when all the other Sim Cities were - Will Wright was in charge of all those. Could be the fact Will Wright who had made all the previous ones through Sims City 4 was gone - and Rob Humble did what he does best - make online games and one of the real reasons Sim City bit the dust. It had nothing to do with EA's vision - they never did a Sim City until the mobile version which is still doing amazing for EA - but they put the Sim City game in Rod Humbles hands as he was in charge of Maxis then. On top of it he left even before the job was completely done. EA did not do the Sim Societies either that was so horrible - a third party did those and also failed.

I am also curious why Second Life let him go. I was reading their forum from the time he was let go there and all the gamers there had no clue, but one said he was hoping that would happen. He never said why though.

For the record no Sim City was ever built at the EA Campus - they were all built at the other Maxis Studios with the last one built at Emeryville Maxis Studio. It was closed down by EA permanently after they pulled Sim City 2013.

I don’t think he was? The credits Here don’t mention Rod Humble at all. At best he is credited for having worked on Sim Cities Societies.

General manager at the time was Lucy Bradshaw.

I think she means Rod Humble was still around in 2010 when rumors were flying they were building another Sim game. Then Frank Gebeau took over as president. Lucy Bradshaw was general manager of Maxis. And John (can't remember his name, left) but there have been a few hands change from General Manager, to CEO to President etc. I'm pretty sure he was still around for a few more years until he went to Second Life and Frank Gerbeua moved to mobile a few years ago, then to Zynga in 2016. And Lucy Bradshaw to mobile iirc. ETA: There is the people at top of EA and the people of Maxis and other gaming franchises. I'm thinking he was still around and over in EA's part and not Maxis part. But I could be wrong it all gets fuzzy following these people but some of us do because that tells us what direction a game is going to go by what they bring to a company or division.

He was not "In charge of sim city that failed"

Theres no evidence to support this that he worked on sim city. Even a Google search and look at the game credits don't show this.

Some just are keen to discredit his new position and we don't actually know yet his new studio is working on a competitor for the sims. I don't know why that makes people afraid but hey ho.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

I'm very much okay with the franchise be changed to another set of developers, too. Hopefully, it'll be a completely new set of people... I'd prefer it that way. And at the very least City Skylines made a better product and made EA scramble to swallow the competition. Cheers to them having to scramble every time that they suck.

It's because EA lost vision and fresh ideas for SimCity. They honestly thought that genre couldn't get any better. Paradox proved them wrong!

That should be a lesson to them that they need to apply to The Sims franchise.

I don't know if EA swallowed up the competition. City Skylines is sold on Steam as well, oftentimes with much better deals. Either way, Paradox is sitting pretty.

Ironic - Rod Humble - the CEO going to Paradox was in charge of THAT SIM City that failed. He was not at EA/Maxis when all the other Sim Cities were - Will Wright was in charge of all those. Could be the fact Will Wright who had made all the previous ones through Sims City 4 was gone - and Rob Humble did what he does best - make online games and one of the real reasons Sim City bit the dust. It had nothing to do with EA's vision - they never did a Sim City until the mobile version which is still doing amazing for EA - but they put the Sim City game in Rod Humbles hands as he was in charge of Maxis then. On top of it he left even before the job was completely done. EA did not do the Sim Societies either that was so horrible - a third party did those and also failed.

I am also curious why Second Life let him go. I was reading their forum from the time he was let go there and all the gamers there had no clue, but one said he was hoping that would happen. He never said why though.

For the record no Sim City was ever built at the EA Campus - they were all built at the other Maxis Studios with the last one built at Emeryville Maxis Studio. It was closed down by EA permanently after they pulled Sim City 2013.

I don’t think he was? The credits Here don’t mention Rod Humble at all. At best he is credited for having worked on Sim Cities Societies.

I think she means Rod Humble was still around in 2010 when rumors were flying they were building another Sim game. Then Frank Gebeau took over as president. Lucy Bradshaw was general manager of Maxis. And John (can't remember his name, left) but there have been a few hands change from General Manager, to CEO to President etc. I'm pretty sure he was still around for a few more years until he went to Second Life and Frank Gerbeua moved to mobile a few years ago, then to Zynga in 2016. And Lucy Bradshaw to mobile iirc. ETA: There is the people at top of EA and the people of Maxis and other gaming franchises. I'm thinking he was still around and over in EA's part and not Maxis part. But I could be wrong it all gets fuzzy following these people but some of us do because that tells us what direction a game is going to go by what they bring to a company or division.

He was not "In charge of sim city that failed"

Theres no evidence to support this that he worked on sim city. Even a Google search and look at the game credits don't show this.

Some just are keen to discredit his new position and we don't actually know yet his new studio is working on a competitor for the sims. I don't know why that makes people afraid but hey ho.

He was VP of the Sims Division at that time. As far as I understand the VP of the division oversees and approves/disapproves on what ever they are working on. It was in a development stage as was Sims 4 - how would he have not been involved in these games seeing the position he held?

As for Sim Societies check again - it was made by a third party studio (Tilted Mill Entertainment) not at EA so how did he work on that. EA was just the publisher of that game.

To be honest I never bought it, I was an actual Sim City fan and it was not of much interest to me, especially after Simmers I knew well and trusted said how awful it was.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2008/05/29/simcity-creator-announced/#more-9793
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Wasnt Lucy Bradshaw the vice president? Thats what I found. She was general manager for maxis then and I know she spoke a lot about the sin city fiasco.

As I said, he did have involvement in sim city societies. But its not clear what role he had. I never played sin city societies either.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited March 2019
    Maybe Paradox are moving to Silicon Valley to easily poach the best programmers from other game businesses, (including ex or present EA employees? No expensive moves. ;):) It's interesting and might force EA/Maxis to up their game fast.

Now I have the feeling that anything Paradox does is a good way of saying to EA ''hey be careful''. I think that's a great thing and it will maybe make EA be more careful about games.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    Wasnt Lucy Bradshaw the vice president? Thats what I found. She was general manager for maxis then and I know she spoke a lot about the sin city fiasco.

As I said, he did have involvement in sim city societies. But its not clear what role he had. I never played sin city societies either.

Well if he was he was doing a lot of flying back and forth as last I knew Tilted Mill Entertainment are still an independent studio and located in Massachusetts. But you never know as EA works with studios all over the world. It is just that game was published in November 2007 and most of the work on that was before Rod Humble was part of the Sims division. Perhaps he saw to the publishing of it as he was by then a part of the Sims Division as a Head Producer under CEO J.R. I know he worked on Free Time and a little of Apartment Life.

His last position at EA was VP of I Play - so he held a lot of positions at EA. He was moved around a lot it seems, but they were all pretty high positions.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

Well if he was he was doing a lot of flying back and forth as last I knew Tilted Mill Entertainment are still an independent studio and located in Massachusetts. But you never know as EA works with studios all over the world. It is just that game was published in November 2007 and work on that was before Rod Humble was part of the Sims division. Perhaps he saw to the publishing of it as he was by then a part of the Sims Division as a Head Producer under CEO J.R. I know he worked on Free Time and Apartment Life.

He did that. And a little of the sims 3 I think but I’m certain sim city disaster was nothing to do with him. As I said, he’s not listed as a dev.

Travelling as a dev is pretty normal I think. At least for my Husband. He travels a lot to other studios for work. We are like ships in the night sometimes.

Anyhow back on topic.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,442 Member

I swear some people here work for EA and/or own stock in it. I wish there was an ignore button so I can filter them out. I don't believe anything they post anymore.

I looked him up too and there's no mention of him working on SimCity or on TS4. He's only credited for TS2 and TS3 - the best and most profitable iterations of the series.

He is also the reason TS3 has many rpg elements. And some of his green lighting some things about TS3 is not liked by TS2 players at all. If he should work on a life simulator for that other company (as lead) I'm pretty sure being a sandbox, open-ended, life simulator player I'm not going to to like his vision. No hope there in my opinion. ETA: He took over at Maxis after Bell during the end production of Seasons. I'm not a fan at all of Free Time's buff system.

I realize you prefer TS2 over TS3 hence your dislike of Rod Humble, but I'm a die-hard TS3 player that liked everything about TS3, so I'm fine with him.

I also liked everything about TS2 from the first pack to the last, including his work, so.... *Shrug* I just don't have anything against him.

Besides, people by nature don't stay the same. If he's smart, all he has to do is read the posts on all the Sims forums here and elsewhere to get an accurate picture of what simmers want and don't want and develop the game accordingly.

Assuming that this is actually another simulation in the making, while I would definitely recommend that he review the forums and such to get a general idea, I don't think it will make anything actually easier. Because the game series has made so many shifts and experiments by now, he's going to get a lot of opposing preferences. Single household or rotational? Family play or single focus? Supernatural presence or "real world" focus? Etc. He's going to have to start somewhere, and whatever he does, I doubt it will be all the things that everyone wants, because at this point, that's improbable. As I said before, (and as @Cinebar pointed out,) it's going to be different. It's not likely to follow the exact formula that Sims follows, because I doubt they even could do that if they wanted to due to licensing and rights. But as long as people aren't looking at it as a potential replica of a game they once loved, and approach it with an open mind, it could have great potential.

I think it would be awesome to finally have another choice. I'm also curious to see what steps EA would take to "up the ante", so to speak. Ideally, I'm kind of hoping that they've seen this information also, and are already taking it into consideration for what they do in the future. Maybe this will actually result in a Sims 5 that will blow our socks off. (Not that I have huge hopes for that, haha.) The contentious issue of Sims 4 and it's controversial release created an opening for a potential rival to look at the competition more closely. But this far in, and with Sims 4's numbers growing, I just hope that the opportunity doesn't get missed, or that they get too nervous to take the risk, and pass it by.

In any case, it has my interest.

#Team Occult
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2019
    I think if they’ll make sure to pay attention to the personalities of the characters in such a game and make it about psychology again, magnifying human behaviour, they will be on the right track. Anyway, their problems will be the very same as EA/Maxis developing a Sims game, trying to cater fans. The fact not every single fan will completely get what they want, doesn’t mean it’s impossible to create a great life simulation game that will be enjoyed by many.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I'd rather they keep improving and adding to the current version personally. I can't see the point in keep starting over with what is basically the same game with nothing more than a few slight game play changes added or taken away each time. I played Sims 2 a lot, it was a great game that I loved very much. When the Sims 3 came out I was hugely disappointed with it, I didn't like the graphic style of the version at all and even though I did play it for a while all it did was teach me that new is not always better. I'm happy with the Sims 4 now and I don't feel ready for starting over with a new game version just yet.
    edited March 2019
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I'd rather they keep improving and adding to the current version personally. I can't see the point in keep starting over with what is basically the same game with nothing more than a few slight game play changes added or taken away each time. I played Sims 2 a lot, it was a great game that I loved very much. When the Sims 3 came out I was hugely disappointed with it, I didn't like the graphic style of the version at all and even though I did play it for a while all it did was teach me that new is not always better. I'm happy with the Sims 4 now and I don't feel ready for starting over with a new game version just yet.
    I agree, it would have been a better idea if they’d continued developing for Sims 3 instead of releasing a new Sims game. Cause it’s true, new absolutely doesn’t necessarily turn out to be better.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    Ohh animated hair.. someone made a mod that animates some of TS4 hairs.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2019

I swear some people here work for EA and/or own stock in it. I wish there was an ignore button so I can filter them out. I don't believe anything they post anymore.

I looked him up too and there's no mention of him working on SimCity or on TS4. He's only credited for TS2 and TS3 - the best and most profitable iterations of the series.

He is also the reason TS3 has many rpg elements. And some of his green lighting some things about TS3 is not liked by TS2 players at all. If he should work on a life simulator for that other company (as lead) I'm pretty sure being a sandbox, open-ended, life simulator player I'm not going to to like his vision. No hope there in my opinion. ETA: He took over at Maxis after Bell during the end production of Seasons. I'm not a fan at all of Free Time's buff system.

I realize you prefer TS2 over TS3 hence your dislike of Rod Humble, but I'm a die-hard TS3 player that liked everything about TS3, so I'm fine with him.

I also liked everything about TS2 from the first pack to the last, including his work, so.... *Shrug* I just don't have anything against him.

Besides, people by nature don't stay the same. If he's smart, all he has to do is read the posts on all the Sims forums here and elsewhere to get an accurate picture of what simmers want and don't want and develop the game accordingly.

I have no idea what type of game Paradox would build. I only go by experience of what things happen in the past. Companies hire people with particular skills and visions. You would agree about that wouldn't you? TS4 was intended as an online MMO, and all you have to do is look at a company to see why that might have been decided at the beginning. Because Rod Humble had more experience in RPGs, (though he had left by then), John what's his name thought all games should be online and have microtransactions etc. etc., and Frank Gerbeau wouldn't green light any game without any online hook, and Lucy Bradshaw had thought SC13 (not yet released at the time TS4 was being worked on) thought a MMO SC was a great idea. If you take all that into consideration, and look at a company's direction into mobile and MMOs more and more then it makes sense of why they thought TS4 would be a good canidate for another MMO. As far as TS3 is concerned, the moodlet and buff system is foreign to The Sims and happened on Rod Humble's watch or time with the company. Others may like those features and way of building the AI (why Sims behave the way they do) but I didn't. It didn't look like The Sims to me. It didn't play like The Sims to me. I don't care one iota about moodlets and buffs telling me what my Sims feel or even popups telling me my Sims feel a certain way. This is different than the earlier games where I see how they feel by their actions. Not necessarily an expression but by reaction. Not saying TS3 isn't a big and impressive game, I like a lot of it, but still it was built in a way that's not keeping with the original concepts.

RH may build a wonderful game, have no idea, but going by the experience he brings to a company I'm probably not going to like it.
    Sharonia wrote: »

I absolutely understand this. I felt the same way about TS2. There were hundreds of ideas not yet added to that game. But I also get curious about new technology of things that can happen in a newer game that the engine or AI can't handle in an older game. Like sitting by the pool (TS4) with legs in water, probably was too much trouble in TS2 or maybe not even possible back then, I don't know. TS4 sort of removed the marker that blocks Sims from getting between things etc. or passing a Sim in the way, so TS2 may not have been able to make Sims do certain movements that TS4 can do. Then again removing that marker also makes TS4 Sims walk through some objects. However, by five years I'm probably ready to see what new technology can do with Sims to make them seem even more human than they do after twenty years. Don't even have an idea I would like a new TS5 (maybe not if it's some MMO) but it is interesting to see what new AI they can build.
    Wouldn't you like to have this back? I remember sims near the helicopter covered their ears because of the noise lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Hgv7j3eVo
    I also want bikes so much.

UQwv90E.jpg
    edited March 2019
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    Lol how is that a personal attack, we're just discussing the sims :p. It's what I notice, that you come across as sarcastic to those who dislike TS3. And you also make it sound that the way you feel about TS3 is the right way to feel.

Please do not derail my thread, JoAnne or anyone else is welcome to state their opinion about TS3 or TS4 or even a new TS5 in my thread. I agree with what she said about new doesn't always mean better. That can apply to many things other than games. Take Windows 10 it has left out dozens of features, programs and ways to do work that was built into XP a hundred years ago. I don't necessarily see Windows 10 as new and improved. I see it as a set of apps that are useless to me if I wanted to do particular things I used to do on my pc when XP was popular.

It's a matter of what people want from a product. It doesn't mean it's better.

ETA: Fun Fact I bet many don't know. TS2 was an idea back in TS1 that was going to be an online game. It was called something else, but eventually became the TS2. It was in the very early days of TS1's development. :D
    Ok, sorry Cinebar. : ) Btw, what features would you like to see added to TS4?

Everything that's not in it. :p:)

Everything that's not in it. :p:)

LOl

edited March 2019
    @JoAnne65 sorry if I offended you in any way.. That was not the intention : / I never said anything like, you don't respect your family or friends views, now that is personal, the way I see it. I was just referring to a game.
    edited March 2019
    "Respect her views too, no? You never do" is a personal attack. And I'm not going to defend myself there, I respect everyone's opinion here.

For me there's just something not right with the basic concept of how they handled the personalities and reactions of the sims. Yes I love open world, yes I love CASt and the lack of those features will always cast a shadow for me, but I think at the end of the day it all comes down to feeling the sims you play with. And for me that just doesn't happen when the emotions are attached to auras that are tied to things us humans don't feel that emotional about (like paintings or showers or TV shows or a waterfall). They've underestimated the value of human interaction in this version. They've underestimated how I can be really angry with my son but at the same time not with my daughter or my husband or anyone else. They've underestimated how, when someone dear dies, that will override every other emotion for a while.

And that for me is why this version will never replace, indeed, Sims 3 (and for the OP and others Sims 2), reagrdless how many years of content they'll add to it. I realized that once more when I was gifted Vampires. They're really enjoyable, good gameplay. But they're also Sims 4 sims and that for me will always remain a problem.

ETA:
    @JoAnne65 sorry if I offended you in any way.. That was not the intention : / I never said anything like, you don't respect your family or friends views, now that is personal, the way I see it. I was just referring to a game.
    I always try to be respectful over here as well so yeah, that just really hurt. Let's forget it and proceed, thanks for the apology ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited March 2019
    I edited my post above yours. Read what I said about personal attack.

"Yes I love open world."

Actually, I do too. I'd really like it for Ts4 to have open world, I like seeing sims going for a walk. At least there's open neighborhoods.

"They've underestimated how, when someone dear dies, that will override every other emotion for a while."

That doesn't happen in my game. I guess because I use mods.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top