Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2019
    I think the main problem with Sims 4 (at least the Base Game) was that half way through the project word came from "on High" that the direction of the game had to change (i.e. changing from an online format to "stand alone" game). It takes several years of not only programming, but planning as well to execute a video game. I am pretty sure that the Developers had a time table that they were keeping to and suddenly everything went out the window and they had to scramble to get something together to send out by the "release date". And most of the community can agree that at release date, Sims 4 was a hot mess.

If EA/Maxis was smart and they are starting on Sims 5, they need to look at what made Sims 2 and 3 really tick, be fun for hours, read the Community has said is wrong with the current game (bugs and glitches aside) and create a game that is built on past games and go forward. The Sims needs to be a sandbox game, with no end goals, various means of achieving certain outcomes, and robust tools to create the Sims, clothes, houses, world they live in.

Just my two coppers worth. :)

Maybe live service games are built that way on purpose? Never give them enough to keep them busy for six months but leave them hanging needing something new in about two weeks or a month or so? If someone (like I was in TS2 or TS3) was happy for six months or more playing what they just purchased and it lasts and lasts for them, then there wouldn't be a rush to get the new thing, so maybe this is all on purpose? I mean we had nothing but stuff packs for about a year and half there for what seemed like forever.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Archieonic wrote: »
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    One imprtant factor - how ever you like the game is your choices as much as you can make it your choice - no one plays it wrong as there is no right or wrong way to play - we may be limited as vets - but we find ways to get around what we can and enjoy our games and the newbs like the pace they can enjoy the game without all the little detail. EA has found a bit of a sweet spot - so they get continued success.

The issue though is that the game is broken. And continues getting more and more broken instead of getting fixed. Are you telling me that these people do not play with apartments, pets, restaurants, get to work careers?

Why anyone would continue to buy content for a broken game is beyond me,

Welcome to The Sims franchise, selling broken since 2009, fixes not guaranteed.

I'm pretty sure all the games in The Sims from 2000-2014+ has leftover glitches. The more ambitious the game engine, the more possibility for errors. And seeing how some or even most game developers are rushed into completion even though the game is clearly not ready to be released explains this issue is unfortunately common in the gaming industry overall. Not just The Sims.

I would prefer a quality game that the developers can take their time to get things right the first time by thoroughly testing for as many problems as possible and correcting any errors found before moving on to the next content.

To clarify the difference between TS3 and TS4 for me in terms of this issue. TS3 has many pros than cons, whereas TS4 has many cons than pros. Despite, the game's flaws I can easily overlook it when it comes to what is brought to the franchise and that greatly helps to make up for its shortcomings. Though, there shouldn't be any trade-offs to begin with unless because of a technological limitation. Some game companies lose their focus on creating games for fun and entertainment. They no longer seem to be represented as gamers for gamers and everything shifts to being business-minded and money, money and more money.

Despite the flaws in all The Sims games from 2000-2013, nothing compares to the lowest of low which is TS4. Look at TS's base game, TS2's base game coming from TS, TS3's base game coming from TS2 and TS4's base game coming from TS3. A series of games that are supposed to advance and improve after the one before it or what is the reason for playing the same old, same old and paying more money for it?

Of course, nothing wrong if that's what some like and want. It's not my money so I don't care what others do with theirs but I do ponder the logic behind it. But hey, everyone is different and has different preferences so it is what is and that's all that needs to be understood.

Yes all Sims games had glitches and bugs but nothing like the trend that TS3 started and TS4 continued.

As far as the rest, color for tastes and I've learned to not undermine anyone's taste when it comes to sandbox or simulation games, specially after being an avid harsh critique of TS4 and now mainly enjoying it (even if I still remain criticizing it). It's about perspective. I very much enjoyed TS3's focus on the world as a whole, but found myself seldom observing or enjoying details. It also depends on play style. I personally find many areas that I enjoy more in each iteration than in previous ones, and depending on quality I may or may not end up not missing previous features, which is still not an excuse for going backwards in some areas. The all time low for me was the introduction of TS3 store. And sure it was optional, but it was massive amounts of time and manpower spent on objects and new bits of gameplay mostly lackluster costing thousands upon thousands. That's why SPs don't even bother me at all in this one specially since at least they properly slashed the price instead of being worthless $20 SPs. Much of the constant store release time and money could have been spent on a better game but nope.

The main logic behind it is rather simple. People may or may not enjoy X game for Y, Z and W reasons. What you may find invaluable for enjoyment may not be what others need.

I already mentioned the more "ambitious" the game, the more possibilities for errors. But that is not the issue at all, the issue is how EA/Maxis/The Sims Studio deals with these glitches. The best method, the way I see it, is to make sure most of the problems are corrected before moving on and/or releasing a new project over something that clearly still needs to be worked on and not ready for more additions which will likely exacerbate the problem. Especially, over time of keep sweeping things under the rug to hide and/or take care of it later if ever.

Most, if not all, the issues TS3 does have may be usually caused by unrealistic time limits for a game as dynamic as it is. Besides, not the best optimal coding, etc. Like I said before, some game companies only care about the business/money side of things. Though, sometimes even given the proper amount of time the quality is still poor in some cases and that is just a waste to me.

"IF" I remember correctly, TS3 had 2 different EP teams which is why there were usually at least 2 EP's a year. Maybe there were 2 different SP teams as well and I think I do remember The Store had its own team solely dedicated to just that. So no, I don't agree that The Store took any resources from the main game. Like I said, time management which seems to be a part of the issue with some game companies who just don't care about quality and a good standing reputation more than quick and easy money.

And being curious about the logic behind supporting a game that clearly screams of poor workmanship all around for the most part, the way I see it, and charges a higher price than previous iterations can be taken any way anyone wants to. Perception is quite interesting and just as varied among many. It is what it is. If TS4 was actually a decent game then it wouldn't have so many complaints. I mean TOO MANY complaints. But anyone can still check out the user scores between previous installments vs TS4. Anyone can learn of TS2 and TS3 success during its launch but I haven't heard any accomplishment about TS4 that topped TS2 or TS3. There are a lot of things that are quite telling. There is always more to the story than just one side.
    And how exactly has Eaxis dealt with the issues? If memory serves right, from 2009 it's been all sweeping under the rugs up until this day. Sure some things here and there get fixed, but many don't and some noticeable ones at that.

I still stand by The Sims 3 store taking resources away. They can have 3 teams dedicated to different things, it does not mean that merging one of said teams into another (say, EPs) would not be beneficial in many ways if their skills translate (which they did).

Whereas some areas you could say they charge more, others they don't. SPs for $20 were such a huge ripoff IMO and I'm a huge fan of the idea behind GPs.

Of course, TS4 was absolutely shady at launch, so much that I stayed away for years. I recall chuckling when I heard people were freaking out over swimming pools being added *ahem, reintroduced* and thinking really? And ghosts...right.

Guess good workmanship ended with TS2.

Apparently, you are not understanding that is what I am saying but in different words. Again, perception can have some misunderstand what is actually being said or perhaps some are not taking the time to actually comprehend what they read and just jump to conclusions.

What are you even talking about anymore? The topic you brought up originally: "The all time low for me was the introduction of TS3 store. And sure it was optional, but it was massive amounts of time and manpower spent on objects and new bits of gameplay mostly lackluster costing thousands upon thousands." Where does, "They can have 3 teams dedicated to different things, it does not mean that merging one of said teams into another (say, EPs) would not be beneficial in many ways if their skills translate (which they did)." even come from? I didn't say anything about merging teams or not merging teams or the benefits or not of such possible actions. You completely skipped the argument I made about why I disagree with you and just came up with something entirely unrelated. And just to say, all video games are optional and not a necessity to buy. Therefore, it better be worth the money and if it's not...goodbye. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, well maybe I'll never wise up and remain naive. Yeah right. I learn from my mistakes and don't keep repeating them as if I have no memory. Memory indeed serves many functions in life as does critical thinking.

Where do you even get your statistics that it cost thousands upon thousands for adding premium content and variations of content already in-game to the store? Let alone, usually the higher the budget put into any game is a good sign, not a bad one. Why do you think TS4 is in the condition it's in? It's a cheaply made game yet charging as if it's triple A when it never was to begin with and never will be. How much do you get for the money you pay for? I wouldn't want TS4 even if it was $0.00 because it still isn't worth it to me. Clearly, I'm not the target audience. TS is no longer for everyone. And so, I quit the franchise after TS3.

Stuff Packs have been around since TS2 and although I wasn't really around during most of TS2 lifespan then, I would still think that SP's as an option is good to have. To me, it is nice to have options whether based on modern, past eras, realistic or fantasy themes, etc. I just wish the content were more fleshed out than what they released.

Okay, so along with EP's, SP's (Whether you buy them or not, agree with it or not) and now GP's you don't mind the divided content in bits and pieces instead of having the majority of it as it always has been in EP's? Because SP's usually have items that already are in the base game but different variations. From what I understand, GP's are basically less than or about 1/4 of a full EP. 1 or more items that adds gameplay to the game in the same way that TS3 store did later in its time with premium content. Sometimes a GP adds a new world, etc. EP's should be the primary method of adding fully fleshed out gameplay but oh wait...how many EP's does TS4 even have after 4+ years?
    TS4 - 6 EP's (4+years) So another 3-4 years that's estimated to be 11-12 EP's for a 7-8 year life span of a mediocre game.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_4#Expansion_packs

TS3 - 11 EP's (4 years)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_3#Expansion_packs
    TS2 - 8 EP's (4 years)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_2#Expansion_packs
    TS - 7 EP's (3 years)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_(video_game)#Expansion_packs

Also, TS4 EP's still lack what previous iterations added. So it's like 1/2, if even that, of a complete EP. And on Wikipedia, there's literally no thorough explanation of information of these EP's features either. Is that all? Because if so, then basically EP's and GP's are just about the same then and clearly overpriced.
    2857824302_40730c7e25.jpg
    Game-Incomplete-300x169.png

And another few more years of content being spread out like a deck of cards. Well, that's all going to add up and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it will cost more than the entirety of TS3 yet TS4 has the weakest foundation (Worst game engine, uninteresting A.I. to me, lack of sandbox life simulator gameplay, lack of creative freedom and lack of giving players control to play how they want for the most part.) and didn't really improve or advance anything at all in a major and worthwhile way.

TS4 was despicable way before launch if anyone was actually paying attention, therefore, never fell for it. There were red flags all over the place and still is the way I see it. Swimming pools and ghosts were the least of TS4 issues. Overall, it wasn't meant to be played like a life simulator because it was repurposed from some other project and the whole game engine and A.I. was tacked on at a later date. I'm confused when I read some complaints where they NEED mods just to play TS4 the way its supposedly advertised...as a life simulator. But a game that has everything fully or at the very least, mostly, fleshed out according to its genre wouldn't have that issue.

How does turning infants back into objects, missing toddlers, indistinguishable teens, lost of creative and imaginative freedom, confined to a lot/small play area like it's 2000 and 2004 reflect the genre it once was? How does this make The Sims the best ever? Everything that TS2 worked hard to improve and advance the franchise with aging and generations, everything that TS3 worked hard to improve and advance the franchise with CASt, story progression, open world with no loading screens either not a feature or was an afterthought according to what released in base game before any updates. How can you have generations if infants are the way they are who age up to children exactly how it was in 2000 and no toddlers? TS4 has major flaws from the start than any other Sims game to date in my opinion.

All games have some sort of flaw(s) but it's clear by the major features put into TS3 that it was good enough. It is clear by the sales that TS3 outsold TS2 in 7 days. It is clear that TS3 never quit being developed if it was so bad of a game as some suggest. Why hasn't everyone quit because I'm sure that would have been quite noticeable that the majority left the franchise. There's always going to be some who like whatever Sims game(s) for whatever reason(s). So what. It just goes back to allowing one's love of a game franchise get in the way of seeing through clear lenses instead of foggy ones. But it is what is. We all have our own POV on the same topic.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited February 2019
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    mirta000 wrote: »
    One imprtant factor - how ever you like the game is your choices as much as you can make it your choice - no one plays it wrong as there is no right or wrong way to play - we may be limited as vets - but we find ways to get around what we can and enjoy our games and the newbs like the pace they can enjoy the game without all the little detail. EA has found a bit of a sweet spot - so they get continued success.

The issue though is that the game is broken. And continues getting more and more broken instead of getting fixed. Are you telling me that these people do not play with apartments, pets, restaurants, get to work careers?

Why anyone would continue to buy content for a broken game is beyond me,

Welcome to The Sims franchise, selling broken since 2009, fixes not guaranteed.

I'm pretty sure all the games in The Sims from 2000-2014+ has leftover glitches. The more ambitious the game engine, the more possibility for errors. And seeing how some or even most game developers are rushed into completion even though the game is clearly not ready to be released explains this issue is unfortunately common in the gaming industry overall. Not just The Sims.

I would prefer a quality game that the developers can take their time to get things right the first time by thoroughly testing for as many problems as possible and correcting any errors found before moving on to the next content.

To clarify the difference between TS3 and TS4 for me in terms of this issue. TS3 has many pros than cons, whereas TS4 has many cons than pros. Despite, the game's flaws I can easily overlook it when it comes to what is brought to the franchise and that greatly helps to make up for its shortcomings. Though, there shouldn't be any trade-offs to begin with unless because of a technological limitation. Some game companies lose their focus on creating games for fun and entertainment. They no longer seem to be represented as gamers for gamers and everything shifts to being business-minded and money, money and more money.

Despite the flaws in all The Sims games from 2000-2013, nothing compares to the lowest of low which is TS4. Look at TS's base game, TS2's base game coming from TS, TS3's base game coming from TS2 and TS4's base game coming from TS3. A series of games that are supposed to advance and improve after the one before it or what is the reason for playing the same old, same old and paying more money for it?

Of course, nothing wrong if that's what some like and want. It's not my money so I don't care what others do with theirs but I do ponder the logic behind it. But hey, everyone is different and has different preferences so it is what is and that's all that needs to be understood.

Yes all Sims games had glitches and bugs but nothing like the trend that TS3 started and TS4 continued.

As far as the rest, color for tastes and I've learned to not undermine anyone's taste when it comes to sandbox or simulation games, specially after being an avid harsh critique of TS4 and now mainly enjoying it (even if I still remain criticizing it). It's about perspective. I very much enjoyed TS3's focus on the world as a whole, but found myself seldom observing or enjoying details. It also depends on play style. I personally find many areas that I enjoy more in each iteration than in previous ones, and depending on quality I may or may not end up not missing previous features, which is still not an excuse for going backwards in some areas. The all time low for me was the introduction of TS3 store. And sure it was optional, but it was massive amounts of time and manpower spent on objects and new bits of gameplay mostly lackluster costing thousands upon thousands. That's why SPs don't even bother me at all in this one specially since at least they properly slashed the price instead of being worthless $20 SPs. Much of the constant store release time and money could have been spent on a better game but nope.

The main logic behind it is rather simple. People may or may not enjoy X game for Y, Z and W reasons. What you may find invaluable for enjoyment may not be what others need.

I already mentioned the more "ambitious" the game, the more possibilities for errors. But that is not the issue at all, the issue is how EA/Maxis/The Sims Studio deals with these glitches. The best method, the way I see it, is to make sure most of the problems are corrected before moving on and/or releasing a new project over something that clearly still needs to be worked on and not ready for more additions which will likely exacerbate the problem. Especially, over time of keep sweeping things under the rug to hide and/or take care of it later if ever.

Most, if not all, the issues TS3 does have may be usually caused by unrealistic time limits for a game as dynamic as it is. Besides, not the best optimal coding, etc. Like I said before, some game companies only care about the business/money side of things. Though, sometimes even given the proper amount of time the quality is still poor in some cases and that is just a waste to me.

"IF" I remember correctly, TS3 had 2 different EP teams which is why there were usually at least 2 EP's a year. Maybe there were 2 different SP teams as well and I think I do remember The Store had its own team solely dedicated to just that. So no, I don't agree that The Store took any resources from the main game. Like I said, time management which seems to be a part of the issue with some game companies who just don't care about quality and a good standing reputation more than quick and easy money.

And being curious about the logic behind supporting a game that clearly screams of poor workmanship all around for the most part, the way I see it, and charges a higher price than previous iterations can be taken any way anyone wants to. Perception is quite interesting and just as varied among many. It is what it is. If TS4 was actually a decent game then it wouldn't have so many complaints. I mean TOO MANY complaints. But anyone can still check out the user scores between previous installments vs TS4. Anyone can learn of TS2 and TS3 success during its launch but I haven't heard any accomplishment about TS4 that topped TS2 or TS3. There are a lot of things that are quite telling. There is always more to the story than just one side.
    And how exactly has Eaxis dealt with the issues? If memory serves right, from 2009 it's been all sweeping under the rugs up until this day. Sure some things here and there get fixed, but many don't and some noticeable ones at that.

I still stand by The Sims 3 store taking resources away. They can have 3 teams dedicated to different things, it does not mean that merging one of said teams into another (say, EPs) would not be beneficial in many ways if their skills translate (which they did).

Whereas some areas you could say they charge more, others they don't. SPs for $20 were such a huge ripoff IMO and I'm a huge fan of the idea behind GPs.

Of course, TS4 was absolutely shady at launch, so much that I stayed away for years. I recall chuckling when I heard people were freaking out over swimming pools being added *ahem, reintroduced* and thinking really? And ghosts...right.

Guess good workmanship ended with TS2.

Apparently, you are not understanding that is what I am saying but in different words. Again, perception can have some misunderstand what is actually being said or perhaps some are not taking the time to actually comprehend what they read and just jump to conclusions.

I'd definitely recommend taking that advice to heart and re-reading what I posted.

What are you even talking about anymore? The topic you brought up originally: "The all time low for me was the introduction of TS3 store. And sure it was optional, but it was massive amounts of time and manpower spent on objects and new bits of gameplay mostly lackluster costing thousands upon thousands." Where does, "They can have 3 teams dedicated to different things, it does not mean that merging one of said teams into another (say, EPs) would not be beneficial in many ways if their skills translate (which they did)." even come from? I didn't say anything about merging teams or not merging teams or the benefits or not of such possible actions. You completely skipped the argument I made about why I disagree with you and just came up with something entirely unrelated. And just to say, all video games are optional and not a necessity to buy. Therefore, it better be worth the money and if it's not...goodbye. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, well maybe I'll never wise up and remain naive. Yeah right. I learn from my mistakes and don't keep repeating them as if I have no memory. Memory indeed serves many functions in life as does critical thinking.

You literally just said that you don't agree with me on TS3 store taking resources away from the game and mentioned that they had different teams dedicated to it so it did not take away from the main game. My response was that it did take away, as that team could have been merged into another one (such as EPs) for faster and better quality. How did you miss that?

Where do you even get your statistics that it cost thousands upon thousands for adding premium content and variations of content already in-game to the store? Let alone, usually the higher the budget put into any game is a good sign, not a bad one. Why do you think TS4 is in the condition it's in? It's a cheaply made game yet charging as if it's triple A when it never was to begin with and never will be. How much do you get for the money you pay for? I wouldn't want TS4 even if it was $0.00 because it still isn't worth it to me. Clearly, I'm not the target audience. TS is no longer for everyone. And so, I quit the franchise after TS3.

Back in the day for fun I ran some calculations on simpoints and store objects, it was far too lengthy but it hit thousands of $$ quite easily. Someone else did the full math I believe on Steam but I found that number near impossible ($75,000 more or less). This is the cost to buy everything as a customer, I was not referring to cost of development. My argument against TS3 store as an all time low was the obvious greed behind it.

And what is the condition you refer to? If you understand a bit of the inner mechanism of this or any other iteration, the amount of algorithms, calculations, etc., it's quite there as an AAA title. Now depending on what you consider AAA, then quality-wise one could argue the same for other iterations at least if we are talking about game stability, bugs and glitches. I consider The Sims as a franchise to always feel like an AAA Early Access/Beta franchise, forever stuck in beta status.

Stuff Packs have been around since TS2 and although I wasn't really around during most of TS2 lifespan then, I would still think that SP's as an option is good to have. To me, it is nice to have options whether based on modern, past eras, realistic or fantasy themes, etc. I just wish the content were more fleshed out than what they released.

Okay, so along with EP's, SP's (Whether you buy them or not, agree with it or not) and now GP's you don't mind the divided content in bits and pieces instead of having the majority of it as it always has been in EP's? Because SP's usually have items that already are in the base game but different variations. From what I understand, GP's are basically less than or about 1/4 of a full EP. 1 or more items that adds gameplay to the game in the same way that TS3 store did later in its time with premium content. Sometimes a GP adds a new world, etc. EP's should be the primary method of adding fully fleshed out gameplay but oh wait...how many EP's does TS4 even have after 4+ years?

Given that $20 gave you a stuff pack in previous iterations with no new gameplay objects and that some things in some GPs I find much more detailed and fleshed out such as Vampires which bored me to death before, I find it a much better optiom than having full EPs with things I may not want in my game at all and having to pay $40 to use a fraction of the content offered. Some things ended up being shallow or uninspiring as well given how many things an EP tried to cover. TS3 store seldom added much gameplay as far as object sets.

TS4 - 6 EP's (4+years) So another 3-4 years that's estimated to be 11-12 EP's for a 7-8 year life span of a mediocre game.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_4#Expansion_packs

TS3 - 11 EP's (4 years)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_3#Expansion_packs
    TS2 - 8 EP's (4 years)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_2#Expansion_packs
    TS - 7 EP's (3 years)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_(video_game)#Expansion_packs

Also, TS4 EP's still lack what previous iterations added. So it's like 1/2, if even that, of a complete EP. And on Wikipedia, there's literally no thorough explanation of information of these EP's features either. Is that all? Because if so, then basically EP's and GP's are just about the same then and clearly overpriced.
    2857824302_40730c7e25.jpg
    Game-Incomplete-300x169.png

And another few more years of content being spread out like a deck of cards. Well, that's all going to add up and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it will cost more than the entirety of TS3 yet TS4 has the weakest foundation (Worst game engine, uninteresting A.I. to me, lack of sandbox life simulator gameplay, lack of creative freedom and lack of giving players control to play how they want for the most part.) and didn't really improve or advance anything at all in a major and worthwhile way.

TS4 was despicable way before launch if anyone was actually paying attention, therefore, never fell for it. There were red flags all over the place and still is the way I see it. Swimming pools and ghosts were the least of TS4 issues. Overall, it wasn't meant to be played like a life simulator because it was repurposed from some other project and the whole game engine and A.I. was tacked on at a later date. I'm confused when I read some complaints where they NEED mods just to play TS4 the way its supposedly advertised...as a life simulator. But a game that has everything fully or at the very least, mostly, fleshed out according to its genre wouldn't have that issue.

How does turning infants back into objects, missing toddlers, indistinguishable teens, lost of creative and imaginative freedom, confined to a lot/small play area like it's 2000 and 2004 reflect the genre it once was? How does this make The Sims the best ever? Everything that TS2 worked hard to improve and advance the franchise with aging and generations, everything that TS3 worked hard to improve and advance the franchise with CASt, story progression, open world with no loading screens either not a feature or was an afterthought according to what released in base game before any updates. How can you have generations if infants are the way they are who age up to children exactly how it was in 2000 and no toddlers? TS4 has major flaws from the start than any other Sims game to date in my opinion.

All games have some sort of flaw(s) but it's clear by the major features put into TS3 that it was good enough. It is clear by the sales that TS3 outsold TS2 in 7 days. It is clear that TS3 never quit being developed if it was so bad of a game as some suggest. Why hasn't everyone quit because I'm sure that would have been quite noticeable that the majority left the franchise. There's always going to be some who like whatever Sims game(s) for whatever reason(s). So what. It just goes back to allowing one's love of a game franchise get in the way of seeing through clear lenses instead of foggy ones. But it is what is. We all have our own POV on the same topic.

I'm not gonna repeat myself here since I've already pointed out my disagreements with the game. I was one that harshly criticized the game yet now I've come to enjoy it. I do appreciate the fact that greed did not go as far as a Toddler GP i.e. and that I've enjoyed toddlers in this iteration much more than any other and find them much better. I also vastly enjoy socialization more here and find going to a nightclub is appropriately chaotic with sims dancing and chatting while carrying drinks and watching dancers, or restaurants being quite realistic as far as people talking over each other and being reactive. Color for tastes. Some people will find enjoyment out of certain things that others don't care for and viceversa. This has nothing to do with allowing ones love for a franchise to blind our view, it is a simple matter of whether you like a product or not. And as far as this one goes for me, I've learned to love what I find that it does better for my taste which IMO are several things that I enjoy more in this iteration (whether it be gameplay or little things like being able to play in FPV which to me is fantastic). As someone that enjoys modding I've also found that many things are also more open to flesh out or add or modify even. I've used, modified and/or created small mods since TS1 so that's a very important aspect for me.

And it's not that I don't agree at all with your points. A bunch of them are points I agree with and make no sense for the 4th sequel. It's not like I've settled for "it is what it is", if that would be the case, I certainly would not partake in any suggestions/feedback/bug reporting. I'm very critical of this iteration much like previous ones.

Post edited by Archieonic on
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member

ETA - Thank you for the good thoughts - but at this point it is just day to day. Never know what to expect now a days. I had no inkling at all I would be suddenly rushed off to the hospital two weeks ago - so one day at a time is all I can do.

Really sorry to hear you had to go to the hospital. I hope you are feeling better.

Thank you - for the good thoughts.

It was the reason why I didn't saw you those times. Happy to see you there cuz I don't know why I always liked you. :blush:
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options

"I'd definitely recommend taking that advice to heart and re-reading what I posted."

Is that so?

"You literally just said that you don't agree with me on TS3 store taking resources away from the game and mentioned that they had different teams dedicated to it so it did not take away from the main game. My response was that it did take away, as that team could have been merged into another one (such as EPs) for faster and better quality. How did you miss that?"

So since you don't understand, I'll repeat myself. I don't see any correlation with merging teams together, as if, that is the sole factor determining quality content and decent workmanship. You can have one of the biggest teams and still screw up because of other various conditions. It's more intricate than just the one issue of team size. And if you want to talk about team size, let me tell you this. Ninja Theory which is an Indie developer that worked on a game, an Independent AAA, called Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice with a team of around 20 developers. Here is a trailer of what they created.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODg8_OBQhYE
    https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/hellblade-ninja-theory-interview

"Back in the day for fun I ran some calculations on simpoints and store objects, it was far too lengthy but it hit thousands of $$ quite easily. Someone else did the full math I believe on Steam but I found that number near impossible ($75,000 more or less). This is the cost to buy everything as a customer, I was not referring to cost of development. My argument against TS3 store as an all time low was the obvious greed behind it.

And what is the condition you refer to? If you understand a bit of the inner mechanism of this or any other iteration, the amount of algorithms, calculations, etc., it's quite there as an AAA title. Now depending on what you consider AAA, then quality-wise one could argue the same for other iterations at least if we are talking about game stability, bugs and glitches. I consider The Sims as a franchise to always feel like an AAA Early Access/Beta franchise, forever stuck in beta status."

Are you kidding me? $75,000 for the entirety of TS3? That's laughable. Thousands for sure but 3/4 of a 100K? And of course, there are a few ways that TS3 store introduced lower prices by a combination of opportunities.
    -The Daily Deal
    -Complete Your Set!
    -Make Me an Offer
    -Earning limited daily SimPoints through the watching of advertisements

I would love to see the statistics broken down for all EP's/SP's/The entire store full price only and how much that adds up to since that would be the maximum amount spent. But just taking your word for it is just words...no proof of your claim. Anyone can say anything but that doesn't mean it's true. How are you not referring to the cost of the store's development? You said, "The all time low for me was the introduction of TS3 store. And sure it was optional, but it was massive amounts of time and manpower spent on objects and new bits of gameplay mostly lackluster costing thousands upon thousands." I responded with both a general statement overall about how I view the amount for budgets and specifically concerning the store based on your response. Plus, argued a valid comparison in budget between TS3 and TS4 which showcases the differences in both quality, depth and quantity of content.

If you think the only motive for TS3 store is just greed but don't seem to care about the evident greed in TS4's era which gives less for more than any Sims game to date...oh well. And actually, I view TS3 store quite successful and while some didn't like it, others did. Why? Because it gives more freedom to pick and choose individual items unlike with EP's/SP's. So having the option to only buy what you want is actually a plus, not a minus. Like EP's/SP's it's just there if you want to buy and if not forget about it. It's nice to have opportunity for extra content, especially, for a game that already set such a high standard for the franchise. There were some decent quality content and unfortunately, some poor quality content.

Interesting. So you are making excuses for The Sims as a whole that it is okay to be sub-par because you think it's all like early access/beta status. Yeah, that's not how quality games work or how quality developers work. In my opinion: Quality means doing their best to make sure the game is in excellent playable condition as much as possible with minimal to none (well hidden which some players specifically go looking to break the game and/or find loop holes) glitches. Meaning through normal means of gameplay there should not be any or at the very least only minor errors. For example, when I played Hellblade and that one time Senua got stuck in a rock and I could not get out of it so I had no choice but to restart from my last checkpoint. Quality is also genuinely caring and listening to your fanbase because you agree that you want the best possible game together. And of course, if there are any major and/or minor flaws with the game that interrupt gameplay in a significant manner then it is usually fixed as soon as possible and other future additions, if any, are put on hold. Something else to mention, is the usual and natural progression within a franchise/series that improves and advances with each new installment. Just to name a few, Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, Mario Kart, Gran Turismo, etc.

Some of my examples of quality games I like.
    Some examples of games I look forward to that is not released yet or I don't have.
    -Death Stranding
    -Kingdom Hearts III
    -Red Dead Redemption 2
    -Pokémon Let's Go Pickachu/Eevee
    -Whatever that new Pokémon game will be
    -God of War
    -Dying Light 2
    -Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    -Shenmue 3
    -Judgment
    -Ghost of Tsushima
    -Beyond Good and Evil 2
    -The Last of Us: Part II

"Given that $20 gave you a stuff pack in previous iterations with no new gameplay objects and that some things in some GPs I find much more detailed and fleshed out such as Vampires which bored me to death before, I find it a much better optiom than having full EPs with things I may not want in my game at all and having to pay $40 to use a fraction of the content offered. Some things ended up being shallow or uninspiring as well given how many things an EP tried to cover. TS3 store seldom added much gameplay as far as object sets."

So what is your issue with TS3 store then, because it is an option for others that feel the same way you do about GP's? If you find the store sole reason to be nothing other than to make money when factually consumers actually can benefit from how the store is set up is your perogative, fine. But realistically, both parties benefit but I don't find GP's beneficial at all because it's basically a small part of an EP. Again, goes back to chopping up everything into bits and pieces which I think costs more money for less content. Not to mention, TS4 quality isn't any better and sometimes worse. And okay you feel ripped off because you don't use most of or everything in EP's but that doesn't speak for everyone. There's nothing wrong with coming up with a solution that appeals to the majority where everyone can benefit but I don't think that's the case with GP's. Some people want a full gameplay experience, not a partial one and vice versa. How does that help everyone when instead it just further divides the fanbase and likely to lose fans who are fed up with the direction of the franchise?

Games are for everyone and of course there are niche markets/audiences right? Why does EA/Maxis divide its own niche market? Personally, I don't think that's wise and the proof is, the way I see it, there never was any evidence of TS4 ever outselling TS2 or TS3 from its release within 7-10 days. Look at the user scores and comments.
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-4

What Sims game was ever unsuccessful to impress the majority in all of Sim history concerning the main PC series?
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-3
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-2
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims

Alright, I can agree that some features did not become as in-depth as I would have liked it. For example, Generations could have been so much more with proms, boarding schools, etc. Instead of a rabbit hole event. However, that is the beauty of TS3 because your imagination and creativity can create your own open versions of features. For example.
    Screenshot-3239.jpg
    Screenshot-1022.jpg

That is not to excuse the lack of depth but showing the potential TS3 has to sometimes create workarounds for certain features depending on your playstyle. Do you just snorkel or do you scuba dive and find so much more depth than originally perceived?

There are over 66 premium items and most of them you can purchase separately. There around 22 premium items that can only be purchased through a venue or world. One of TS3 forum sections also has a place for receiving gifts or giving gifts as well so there is another way to get store content. So I don't see the reason for your complaint when there are options.

"I'm not gonna repeat myself here since I've already pointed out my disagreements with the game. I was one that harshly criticized the game yet now I've come to enjoy it. I do appreciate the fact that greed did not go as far as a Toddler GP i.e. and that I've enjoyed toddlers in this iteration much more than any other and find them much better. I also vastly enjoy socialization more here and find going to a nightclub is appropriately chaotic with sims dancing and chatting while carrying drinks and watching dancers, or restaurants being quite realistic as far as people talking over each other and being reactive. Color for tastes. Some people will find enjoyment out of certain things that others don't care for and viceversa. This has nothing to do with allowing ones love for a franchise to blind our view, it is a simple matter of whether you like a product or not. And as far as this one goes for me, I've learned to love what I find that it does better for my taste which IMO are several things that I enjoy more in this iteration (whether it be gameplay or little things like being able to play in FPV which to me is fantastic). As someone that enjoys modding I've also found that many things are also more open to flesh out or add or modify even. I've used, modified and/or created small mods since TS1 so that's a very important aspect for me.

And it's not that I don't agree at all with your points. A bunch of them are points I agree with and make no sense for the 4th sequel. It's not like I've settled for "it is what it is", if that would be the case, I certainly would not partake in any suggestions/feedback/bug reporting. I'm very critical of this iteration much like previous ones."

Generally speaking, despite some recognize the flaws of TS4, they rationalize that it's no where near the broken mess TS3 is. But everyone has their own personal experience with whatever Sims game and that doesn't mean that everyone has the same experience too. Let alone how the game plays in general with a compatible computer. However, I feel there seems to be more who does not care much for TS4 than any other Sims game to date for good valid reasons and chooses not to waste time and money on something they no longer care about.
    https://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_sims_4/b/pc/archive/2014/09/05/the-sims-4-review-game-informer.aspx
    https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-sims-4-review/1900-6415867/

Just some things I've observed. Additionally, some game companies don't care about your feedback but so much and sometimes depending on the situation the only thing they listen to is when their games are no longer profitable because they failed so much to even care about their own fanbase. Yeah, this started with TS3, but to me it's clearly four times worse with TS4. Get what I'm saying? Consumers allow it by supporting a game they do not wholeheartedly agree is worth the price because of X, Y, Z. What message are you (generally) sending to a game company when they do something wrong over and over again and when they don't listen, they don't make major changes yet some are like:
    takemymoney.jpg

I say it is what it is because not my problem anymore since I quit the franchise. I got the games I like which are TS/TS2/TS3. And I also have plenty of games I'm really excited for that I feel is worth the asking price.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    "So since you don't understand, I'll repeat myself. I don't see any correlation with merging teams together, as if, that is the sole factor determining quality content and decent workmanship. You can have one of the biggest teams and still screw up because of other various conditions. It's more intricate than just the one issue of team size. And if you want to talk about team size, let me tell you this. Ninja Theory which is an Indie developer that worked on a game, an Independent AAA, called Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice with a team of around 20 developers. Here is a trailer of what they created."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODg8_OBQhYE
    https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/hellblade-ninja-theory-interview

And once again, I do see a correlation between merging teams together. More often than not more manpower and resources typically yield better results. They can still screw up of course, but common sense would tell you that a bigger team, more time and more resources would give you higher quality. It isn't unheard of to see even smaller than 20 development teams create a masterpiece. And supposedly "as per Graham's statement" TS4 dev team is almost 2x larger than TS3. This does raise some questions as far as quality goes for me though.

"Are you kidding me? $75,000 for the entirety of TS3? That's laughable. Thousands for sure but 3/4 of a 100K? And of course, there are a few ways that TS3 store introduced lower prices by a combination of opportunities.
    -The Daily Deal
    -Complete Your Set!
    -Make Me an Offer
    -Earning limited daily SimPoints through the watching of advertisements

I would love to see the statistics broken down for all EP's/SP's/The entire store full price only and how much that adds up to since that would be the maximum amount spent. But just taking your word for it is just words...no proof of your claim. Anyone can say anything but that doesn't mean it's true. How are you not referring to the cost of the store's development? You said, "The all time low for me was the introduction of TS3 store. And sure it was optional, but it was massive amounts of time and manpower spent on objects and new bits of gameplay mostly lackluster costing thousands upon thousands." I responded with both a general statement overall about how I view the amount for budgets and specifically concerning the store based on your response. Plus, argued a valid comparison in budget between TS3 and TS4 which showcases the differences in both quality, depth and quantity of content."

The $75,000 was someone on Steam that posted about it, I forgot when it was but I reckon it's still there. I did say that I consider that near impossible. And manpower/time was my aim, not money. Of course, employees need to get paid, but using the same modelers, programmers, etc., on the main game would've been better IMO.

"If you think the only motive for TS3 store is just greed but don't seem to care about the evident greed in TS4's era which gives less for more than any Sims game to date...oh well. And actually, I view TS3 store quite successful and while some didn't like it, others did. Why? Because it gives more freedom to pick and choose individual items unlike with EP's/SP's. So having the option to only buy what you want is actually a plus, not a minus. Like EP's/SP's it's just there if you want to buy and if not forget about it. It's nice to have opportunity for extra content, especially, for a game that already set such a high standard for the franchise. There were some decent quality content and unfortunately, some poor quality content."

Yes I do, and if you fail to see the evident greed in it, nothing I could do about it.

"Interesting. So you are making excuses for The Sims as a whole that it is okay to be sub-par because you think it's all like early access/beta status. Yeah, that's not how quality games work or how quality developers work. In my opinion: Quality means doing their best to make sure the game is in excellent playable condition as much as possible with minimal to none (well hidden which some players specifically go looking to break the game and/or find loop holes) glitches. Meaning through normal means of gameplay there should not be any or at the very least only minor errors. For example, when I played Hellblade and that one time Senua got stuck in a rock and I could not get out of it so I had no choice but to restart from my last checkpoint. Quality is also genuinely caring and listening to your fanbase because you agree that you want the best possible game together. And of course, if there are any major and/or minor flaws with the game that interrupt gameplay in a significant manner then it is usually fixed as soon as possible and other future additions, if any, are put on hold. Something else to mention, is the usual and natural progression within a franchise/series that improves and advances with each new installment. Just to name a few, Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, Mario Kart, Gran Turismo, etc.

Some of my examples of quality games I like."

"Some examples of games I look forward to that is not released yet or I don't have."
    -Death Stranding
    -Kingdom Hearts III
    -Red Dead Redemption 2
    -Pokémon Let's Go Pickachu/Eevee
    -Whatever that new Pokémon game will be
    -God of War
    -Dying Light 2
    -Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    -Shenmue 3
    -Judgment
    -Ghost of Tsushima
    -Beyond Good and Evil 2
    -The Last of Us: Part II

And since when are EA/Beta titles sub-par? I've played plenty of Early Access titles that were brilliant. Quality means they do their best? Interesting, I thought quality meant the overall condition of the release of a product. I also find it rather interesting that you do not open up that view of quality to previous iterations, because with a few exceptions, by your points, TS3 is not an AAA title. This is why I say TS2 ended as the pinnacle of the franchise and it all went downhill there. No caring for the franchise, no dedication, no depth, no prioritizing bug-fixing and optimization, nothing. You can advance a franchise, yet that is not an excuse for a poorly executed product.

"So what is your issue with TS3 store then, because it is an option for others that feel the same way you do about GP's? If you find the store sole reason to be nothing other than to make money when factually consumers actually can benefit from how the store is set up is your perogative, fine. But realistically, both parties benefit but I don't find GP's beneficial at all because it's basically a small part of an EP. Again, goes back to chopping up everything into bits and pieces which I think costs more money for less content. Not to mention, TS4 quality isn't any better and sometimes worse. And okay you feel ripped off because you don't use most of or everything in EP's but that doesn't speak for everyone. There's nothing wrong with coming up with a solution that appeals to the majority where everyone can benefit but I don't think that's the case with GP's. Some people want a full gameplay experience, not a partial one and vice versa. How does that help everyone when instead it just further divides the fanbase and likely to lose fans who are fed up with the direction of the franchise?"

My issue with TS3 store, again, is value vs content relative to time/resources spent. I've found the content within GPs for $20 (which again, previously $20 gave you a Stuff Pack with no new gameplay added, not even a new interaction. I've found most GPs give me rather in-depth content for areas that previously I found lackluster. I don't feel it's the same with TS3 store simply because I find content-wise that GPs vastly surpass anything TS3 store offered, even more if you take into account pricing.

"Games are for everyone and of course there are niche markets/audiences right? Why does EA/Maxis divide its own niche market? Personally, I don't think that's wise and the proof is, the way I see it, there never was any evidence of TS4 ever outselling TS2 or TS3 from its release within 7-10 days. Look at the user scores and comments."
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-4

"What Sims game was ever unsuccessful to impress the majority in all of Sim history concerning the main PC series?"
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-3
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims-2
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-sims

Yet again you keep pulling up stats and referencing the game upon release which I've said plenty of times I agree it was a disaster. What exactly is the point in bringing something up again that I've stated I agree with? Even so we can spread that out greatly. We can try to pull data from concurrent and total playerbase, or simply why a publisher that is known to be greedy keeps shelling out possibly 7 years worth of content and free patches if the game was not profitable or growing.

"Alright, I can agree that some features did not become as in-depth as I would have liked it. For example, Generations could have been so much more with proms, boarding schools, etc. Instead of a rabbit hole event. However, that is the beauty of TS3 because your imagination and creativity can create your own open versions of features. For example."
    Screenshot-3239.jpg
    Screenshot-1022.jpg

"That is not to excuse the lack of depth but showing the potential TS3 has to sometimes create workarounds for certain features depending on your playstyle. Do you just snorkel or do you scuba dive and find so much more depth than originally perceived?"

I can take that idea and place it right in TS4. Yet I don't, because I'm a content-driven player, I enjoy having many skills to build, functionality in gameplay. If I buy a feature, I don't want to have to imagine and workaround something to pretend it is what it's intended to be. Either it is or it's not, and if the latter, I complain.

"There are over 66 premium items and most of them you can purchase separately. There around 22 premium items that can only be purchased through a venue or world. One of TS3 forum sections also has a place for receiving gifts or giving gifts as well so there is another way to get store content. So I don't see the reason for your complaint when there are options."

Already responded to that, previously and in this post.

"Generally speaking, despite some recognize the flaws of TS4, they rationalize that it's no where near the broken mess TS3 is. But everyone has their own personal experience with whatever Sims game and that doesn't mean that everyone has the same experience too. Let alone how the game plays in general with a compatible computer. However, I feel there seems to be more who does not care much for TS4 than any other Sims game to date for good valid reasons and chooses not to waste time and money on something they no longer care about. "
    https://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_sims_4/b/pc/archive/2014/09/05/the-sims-4-review-game-informer.aspx
    https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-sims-4-review/1900-6415867/

A compatible computer should scale up the more powerful it is built. Back in the first posts I mentioned my rig and my experience. If the claim that TS3 has a "sweet spot" and stronger rigs can cause issues, then that's a major problem. I disagree with the latter, and from personal experience both from what I've seen and having run a business, people are drawn to leave negative reviews a lot more than positive ones. This is nothing uncommon though, if you have a bad experience with a product you are more likely to feel the need to complain and advise others that it sucks, i.e. That argument can be taken any way you want to.

"Just some things I've observed. Additionally, some game companies don't care about your feedback but so much and sometimes depending on the situation the only thing they listen to is when their games are no longer profitable because they failed so much to even care about their own fanbase. Yeah, this started with TS3, but to me it's clearly four times worse with TS4. Get what I'm saying? Consumers allow it by supporting a game they do not wholeheartedly agree is worth the price because of X, Y, Z. What message are you (generally) sending to a game company when they do something wrong over and over again and when they don't listen, they don't make major changes yet some are like:"
    takemymoney.jpg

"I say it is what it is because not my problem anymore since I quit the franchise. I got the games I like which are TS/TS2/TS3. And I also have plenty of games I'm really excited for that I feel is worth the asking price."

Yes, I get what you are saying. However, neither you nor I can speak for the whole playerbase as far as to why they keep purchasing the game. Not that we are anyways, but who knows? People are buying, and the game is very profitable otherwise there's no point in keeping this party up for another 3 years, at least not for someone like EA. Whether simmers still purchase due to finding excuses that make the game worth it to them, because there's no competition on the market, or because they simply and truly love the iteration, who knows.

Post edited by Archieonic on
  • Options

"And once again, I do see a correlation between merging teams together. More often than not more manpower and resources typically yield better results. They can still screw up of course, but common sense would tell you that a bigger team, more time and more resources would give you higher quality. It isn't unheard of to see even smaller than 20 development teams create a masterpiece. And supposedly "as per Graham's statement" TS4 dev team is almost 2x larger than TS3. This does raise some questions as far as quality goes for me though."

Yeah, we disagree we stated why and now that is done. No offense, but nowadays things said don't even make any sense compared to not only actions, gameplay, features, etc but also the quality and quantity compared to TS3/TS2/TS around the same life span. Whether the claim that TS4 team is bigger than TS3 is true or false, the issue at hand: Why is TS4 factually the weakest in the series and has the slowest production which is fine but doesn't seem to make any meaningful difference so far during its life span and what does that mean for the future? < Rhetorical

"The $75,000 was someone on Steam that posted about it, I forgot when it was but I reckon it's still there. I did say that I consider that near impossible. And manpower/time was my aim, not money. Of course, employees need to get paid, but using the same modelers, programmers, etc., on the main game would've been better IMO."

I know and was commenting on how exaggerated that amount appears to be. Forget about TS3 in this instance as it is done, what about the manpower/time and budget for TS4 that is supposedly a larger team than the previous game in the series? Why doesn't the majority, I perceive, agree that TS4 is the best Sims game ever? I mean the development team is the largest, right? Yet, team size in this case doesn't seem to affect the quality (It's worse than ever), quantity (Valued more than quality and depth of gameplay), budget (What are the major improvements and advancements for the best game both visually and gameplay wise? Does this game even keep up with today's technological advances for video game development?). Where is the budget/money going exactly to create a better game?

Using the same developers is not necessarily a better choice. Remember what happened previously with the last game and now the same errors are just repeating like history. When do we learn?

"Yes I do, and if you fail to see the evident greed in it, nothing I could do about it."

Apparently, you are not comprehending or rather not reading in-between the lines of what is not being said but implied. TS3 store is not priced the best, no, the quality is not always the best it should be, I'm already aware of that. But give credit where credit is due is my point to dispel a total image of "only greed" when there are some kind of benefits for consumers.

"And since when are EA/Beta titles sub-par? I've played plenty of Early Access titles that were brilliant. Quality means they do their best? Interesting, I thought quality meant the overall condition of the release of a product. I also find it rather interesting that you do not open up that view of quality to previous iterations, because with a few exceptions, by your points, TS3 is not an AAA title. This is why I say TS2 ended as the pinnacle of the franchise and it all went downhill there. No caring for the franchise, no dedication, no depth, no prioritizing bug-fixing and optimization, nothing. You can advance a franchise, yet that is not an excuse for a poorly executed product."

I don't play any EA/Beta titles or any early access games. But I do see I missed your keyword "I consider The Sims as a franchise to always feel like an 'AAA' Early Access/Beta franchise, forever stuck in beta status." Regardless, I'm going from a view point of sub-par early access/beta stages through other feedback of some games. Though, honestly EA and AAA...what!? Okay...but I wouldn't know as I don't play their modern games and keep hearing bad experiences from some from their franchises fans. Did not the majority of the SimCity fans just up and leave which is the same team Maxis was on and now working on TS4?

Did you even read the 'entirety' of what I said? Or did you just 'stop' right after quality means doing their best?

"Yeah, that's not how quality games work or how quality developers work. In my opinion: Quality means doing their best to make sure the game is in excellent playable condition as much as possible with minimal to none (well hidden which some players specifically go looking to break the game and/or find loop holes) glitches. Meaning through normal means of gameplay there should not be any or at the very least only minor errors. For example, when I played Hellblade and that one time Senua got stuck in a rock and I could not get out of it so I had no choice but to restart from my last checkpoint. Quality is also genuinely caring and listening to your fanbase because you agree that you want the best possible game together. And of course, if there are any major and/or minor flaws with the game that interrupt gameplay in a significant manner then it is usually fixed as soon as possible and other future additions, if any, are put on hold. Something else to mention, is the usual and natural progression within a franchise/series that improves and advances with each new installment. Just to name a few, Tomb Raider, Mortal Kombat, Mario Kart, Gran Turismo, etc."

And go ahead, use my quotes as proof to your claim as I have done honestly with you. Otherwise, you are just talking "your" words without even stating the truth of mine.

TS franchise had a huge following and it should be the best upon any and all releases with decent quality and workmanship, not lack thereof. More time for polishing and quality testing should be a must even if that means delaying the game. Like they did with TS3 base game, in fact. I would rather have a delayed product that provides so much more quality than a product rushed out riddled with major and minor errors. I stated that before. What is changing, regarding that now, for TS4 or the future of TS franchise? So far...absolutely nothing. And I think it was this topic I've already explained why TS3 gets a pass from me because it has more pros than cons and I genuinely enjoy the game though I wish it were so much more. All I know is, if a game company wants my business then they have to earn it not just say random nothings with no actions. Because truth be told, show what you mean, not just say what you mean. What you say is not always what you mean, you know? Critical thinkers have already learned that lesson most likely early on in life and can easily pick up on it. Action speaks louder than words.

Now, TS2 I haven't nearly played as much as TS3 or TS so I don't have much to say about that game. There's one glitch I remember is often enough my Sim would end up getting the teddy bear stuck on them and their arms would go all crazy. Back then I didn't know any cheats. Also, one time with my elder couple I couldn't get them to eat, go to the bathroom, sleep, or take care of any of their motives. I don't remember exactly what happened but something affected their mood, maybe a death or something but they were constantly dropping queues and they end up dying because again I didn't know how to fix it because I didn't know any cheats. TS I don't remember any glitches though I'm sure there are some. That teddy bear still haunts me...I even was afraid for awhile to even use it in TS3. :D

Also, that is how you feel about TS3 not everyone, just like how I feel about TS4 is not everyone's opinion either. You accuse me of falsely ignoring past iterations shortcomings when you didn't even specifically ask or I don't remember because literally all this text...everywhere. There is evidence that I obviously don't think TS3 is the best it should have been. However, what I praise so highly about the game is that it did achieve bringing something entirely new and worthwhile to the franchise even though it wasn't implemented the best. But I don't think some things were implemented the worst either. I can still play just fine with no mods, I just need to be aware of the game engine's, my computer's limitations and use Save As.

Plus, I'm so intrigued by the A.I. than any other Sims game to date. I'm still impressed 9+ years later, the Sims themselves are just that good and entertaining. Besides, it makes a lot of sense why TS3 just never bores me as the aim from the A.I. designer is to create games there are dynamic. Apparently, he wasn't hired for TS4 and I'm glad because his style most definitely suits a mature and more realistic life simulator. If only that existed with hardcore players in mind who love options, creativity galore and don't mind the higher computer requirements for a more complex game. I mean hey, let's target this at the older audience who wants something a lot more challenging...like life because you know it is a life simulator. Let my Sims get into debt and have loans and mortgages and gasoline prices for their cars, jobs aren't easy to obtain and Sims should have skills and/or actual experience, etc.

"My issue with TS3 store, again, is value vs content relative to time/resources spent. I've found the content within GPs for $20 (which again, previously $20 gave you a Stuff Pack with no new gameplay added, not even a new interaction. I've found most GPs give me rather in-depth content for areas that previously I found lackluster. I don't feel it's the same with TS3 store simply because I find content-wise that GPs vastly surpass anything TS3 store offered, even more if you take into account pricing."

SP's and GP's are like comparing apples and oranges. SP's have always been about...stuff defined as CAS/Buy and Build mode content already existing in the base game, mostly. There is Movie Stuff pack and 70s, 80s & 90s Stuff pack which added 3 new radio stations each. Town Life added variations of the spring rider from Generations and pre-built venues and lots. It also had variations of a washing machine and dryer from Ambitions.

TS4: Jungle Adventures $19.99

CAS - 41 items
    Build Mode - 168 items or less depending on clones
    World - Selvadorada

Take your Sims on a mysterious adventure into the wild and discover a new culture with The Sims™ 4 Jungle Adventure*. Explore a unique wilderness landscape, revealing a temple, jungle obstacles, cursed relics and treasures. Experience the culture and customs of Selvadorada, from devouring local eats to learning spicy new dance moves!

• Venture to Selvadorada
    • Explore the Jungle
    • Discover a Hidden Temple
    • Collect Ancient Artifacts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZTgUlEZqgk

===

TS3: Store $19.99 + 100 simpoints or $34.99 +1900 simpoints recommended for purchase of The Boardwalk

CAS - 28 items or 34+ items for Gold Edition
    Buy/Build Mode - 62 items including Classically Cool Fixer-upper Car premium item or 119 items including The Boardwalk content and lot
    World - Roaring Heights

Welcome to a city where bold shapes, rich colors, and lavish looks rule the skyline! The residents of Roaring Heights are living in the fast lane in this booming place filled with striking skyscrapers and bustling beaches. Whether you’re content to hang out on the piers, work your way to the top, or host glamorous parties at home, there’s a place for every lifestyle. With endless opportunities at your front door, which new life will you choose in Roaring Heights?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY2jqTj_9Ek

One of the differences I think is the GP's worlds are only visited like vacations. Whereas the store worlds Sims can live there. Closed, small world? Open, large world with no loading screens? Your opinion is GP's are better than store content, my opinion is no not really. Besides, the stylized art style they applied to TS4...no and no, how about no thank you. What's so great about looking at cardboard cutouts? Yeah, not going to lie I'm so spoiled by semi-realistic or realistic graphics. Though there are exceptions like Pokémon or Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm, etc. Anyway, the point is it really doesn't matter and we agree to disagree.

"Yet again you keep pulling up stats and referencing the game upon release which I've said plenty of times I agree it was a disaster. What exactly is the point in bringing something up again that I've stated I agree with? Even so we can spread that out greatly. We can try to pull data from concurrent and total playerbase, or simply why a publisher that is known to be greedy keeps shelling out possibly 7 years worth of content and free patches if the game was not profitable or growing."

Consumers are the reason why a game company is known to be greedy because they allow it. TS4 is cheaply made so how much can they lose compared to previous installments when it's clear not much went into it the first place?

"I can take that idea and place it right in TS4. Yet I don't, because I'm a content-driven player, I enjoy having many skills to build, functionality in gameplay. If I buy a feature, I don't want to have to imagine and workaround something to pretend it is what it's intended to be. Either it is or it's not, and if the latter, I complain."

I didn't buy GEN for just prom or boarding schools. I bought it for mostly everything it added to flesh out the life stages more. While there usually is something I'm not fond about concerning some features, it doesn't stop me from still enjoying the game the way I want to for the most part, is the point. And while some did complain, the fact is developers can't open up rabbit holes but there are other ways to go about it. You can't change certain limitations so yes workarounds are at least an option than not at all.

"A compatible computer should scale up the more powerful it is built. Back in the first posts I mentioned my rig and my experience. If the claim that TS3 has a "sweet spot" and stronger rigs can cause issues, then that's a major problem. I disagree with the latter, and from personal experience both from what I've seen and having run a business, people are drawn to leave negative reviews a lot more than positive ones. This is nothing uncommon though, if you have a bad experience with a product you are more likely to feel the need to complain and advise others that it plum, i.e. That argument can be taken any way you want to."

How is it an issue when using computer specifications that are beyond the system requirements during the game's life span is any other fault than the player if it doesn't work or recognize the graphic card? Newer operating systems aren't always going to work well for older games either.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    "Yeah, we disagree we stated why and now that is done. No offense, but nowadays things said don't even make any sense compared to not only actions, gameplay, features, etc but also the quality and quantity compared to TS3/TS2/TS around the same life span. Whether the claim that TS4 team is bigger than TS3 is true or false, the issue at hand: Why is TS4 factually the weakest in the series and has the slowest production which is fine but doesn't seem to make any meaningful difference so far during its life span and what does that mean for the future? < Rhetorical"
    Funny enough, there's a tweet from Graham that made me laugh a bit, saying that "he had never seen a team produce so much content before as the one for TS4".

"I know and was commenting on how exaggerated that amount appears to be. Forget about TS3 in this instance as it is done, what about the manpower/time and budget for TS4 that is supposedly a larger team than the previous game in the series? Why doesn't the majority, I perceive, agree that TS4 is the best Sims game ever? I mean the development team is the largest, right? Yet, team size in this case doesn't seem to affect the quality (It's worse than ever), quantity (Valued more than quality and depth of gameplay), budget (What are the major improvements and advancements for the best game both visually and gameplay wise? Does this game even keep up with today's technological advances for video game development?). Where is the budget/money going exactly to create a better game?

Using the same developers is not necessarily a better choice. Remember what happened previously with the last game and now the same errors are just repeating like history. When do we learn?"

As far as quality goes I'll disagree there. There were many points in TS3 where I'd have to stop playing because I could simply not put up with it, it got that bad that I'd have to create a new save. I've yet to suffer through that again in this iteration. As far as the rest of the questions, valid and would very much appreciate if the devs would ever talk about it.

"Apparently, you are not comprehending or rather not reading in-between the lines of what is not being said but implied. TS3 store is not priced the best, no, the quality is not always the best it should be, I'm already aware of that. But give credit where credit is due is my point to dispel a total image of "only greed" when there are some kind of benefits for consumers. "
    I am reading between the lines, and I still stand by my point. I find the so called benefits to be negligent given where those resources could have been put and that objects are easily obtainable elsewhere, whether it be in EPs or CC, which are valid options. Just for the record, I still don't care for SPs. I don't mind them, but I find most of them forgettable and only fetching for that one item that gives extra gameplay.

"I don't play any EA/Beta titles or any early access games. But I do see I missed your keyword "I consider The Sims as a franchise to always feel like an 'AAA' Early Access/Beta franchise, forever stuck in beta status." Regardless, I'm going from a view point of sub-par early access/beta stages through other feedback of some games. Though, honestly EA and AAA...what!? Okay...but I wouldn't know as I don't play their modern games and keep hearing bad experiences from some from their franchises fans. Did not the majority of the SimCity fans just up and leave which is the same team Maxis was on and now working on TS4? "
    Unsure about the last bit, but I reckon one of the main reasons fans up and left was that there was a worthy competitor that wiped the floor with SC2013. I have that game, and truly feels like a successor. Perhaps the same fate could happen if a competitor suddenly makes a life simulation game.

"Did you even read the 'entirety' of what I said? Or did you just 'stop' right after quality means doing their best?

And go ahead, use my quotes as proof to your claim as I have done honestly with you. Otherwise, you are just talking "your" words without even stating the truth of mine. "

I read the whole thing, but just found that remark something I deeply disagree with.
    And of course I have to use your quotes, it's much more organized for posts that are this long wouldn't you agree? I don't know, it feels nicer to the eyes to read it this way, so thank you for doing that.

"TS franchise had a huge following and it should be the best upon any and all releases with decent quality and workmanship, not lack thereof. More time for polishing and quality testing should be a must even if that means delaying the game. Like they did with TS3 base game, in fact. I would rather have a delayed product that provides so much more quality than a product rushed out riddled with major and minor errors. I stated that before. What is changing, regarding that now, for TS4 or the future of TS franchise? So far...absolutely nothing. And I think it was this topic I've already explained why TS3 gets a pass from me because it has more pros than cons and I genuinely enjoy the game though I wish it were so much more. All I know is, if a game company wants my business then they have to earn it not just say random nothings with no actions. Because truth be told, show what you mean, not just say what you mean. What you say is not always what you mean, you know? Critical thinkers have already learned that lesson most likely early on in life and can easily pick up on it. Action speaks louder than words.

Now, TS2 I haven't nearly played as much as TS3 or TS so I don't have much to say about that game. There's one glitch I remember is often enough my Sim would end up getting the teddy bear stuck on them and their arms would go all crazy. Back then I didn't know any cheats. Also, one time with my elder couple I couldn't get them to eat, go to the bathroom, sleep, or take care of any of their motives. I don't remember exactly what happened but something affected their mood, maybe a death or something but they were constantly dropping queues and they end up dying because again I didn't know how to fix it because I didn't know any cheats. TS I don't remember any glitches though I'm sure there are some. That teddy bear still haunts me...I even was afraid for awhile to even use it in TS3. :D

Also, that is how you feel about TS3 not everyone, just like how I feel about TS4 is not everyone's opinion either. You accuse me of falsely ignoring past iterations shortcomings when you didn't even specifically ask or I don't remember because literally all this text...everywhere. There is evidence that I obviously don't think TS3 is the best it should have been. However, what I praise so highly about the game is that it did achieve bringing something entirely new and worthwhile to the franchise even though it wasn't implemented the best. But I don't think some things were implemented the worst either. I can still play just fine with no mods, I just need to be aware of the game engine's, my computer's limitations and use Save As.

Plus, I'm so intrigued by the A.I. than any other Sims game to date. I'm still impressed 9+ years later, the Sims themselves are just that good and entertaining. Besides, it makes a lot of sense why TS3 just never bores me as the aim from the A.I. designer is to create games there are dynamic. Apparently, he wasn't hired for TS4 and I'm glad because his style most definitely suits a mature and more realistic life simulator. If only that existed with hardcore players in mind who love options, creativity galore and don't mind the higher computer requirements for a more complex game. I mean hey, let's target this at the older audience who wants something a lot more challenging...like life because you know it is a life simulator. Let my Sims get into debt and have loans and mortgages and gasoline prices for their cars, jobs aren't easy to obtain and Sims should have skills and/or actual experience, etc. "

TS3 got a pass for me as far as investment, if only because I had high tolerance and looked at it from a perspective of not only "what it can do" but "what else can it be modified to do aka mods". Mods play a crucial role for me, and I'm not talking about bug-fixing mods, but gameplay mods. I enjoyed it for 7 years even if it had many moments where I wanted to uninstall and never look back, but at the time TS4 was not an option at all.

TS2 also had bugs, but the gameplay was very fluid, features worked as intended, performance was good, and most issues I remember seldom disrupted gameplay.

I've never once claimed that how I feel about TS4 is a global opinion. You've kept stating TS4 shortcomings and constantly tagging it as an inferior product that is factually lacking and described why, so I don't see how me doing the same with another iteration is surprising. Not only that, but I've criticized and still do TS4, I'm not blind to its issues, I've not stopped asking for improvements much like how I did not stop with TS3.

I ripped apart the autonomy in TS3 and modified it to my own liking, so most of the A.I. does not impress me at all. Same with any Sims game really, it's rather simple math. Commodity settings which push certain autonomous actions based on buff levels (or moodlets as the game calls it) and allowed commodities as well as allowed situations a sim is in. But I do agree that I want more realism. I'd love mortgages, loans, harder jobs, harsher situations, etc.

"SP's and GP's are like comparing apples and oranges. SP's have always been about...stuff defined as CAS/Buy and Build mode content already existing in the base game, mostly. There is Movie Stuff pack and 70s, 80s & 90s Stuff pack which added 3 new radio stations each. Town Life added variations of the spring rider from Generations and pre-built venues and lots. It also had variations of a washing machine and dryer from Ambitions.

TS4: Jungle Adventures $19.99

CAS - 41 items
    Build Mode - 168 items or less depending on clones
    World - Selvadorada

Take your Sims on a mysterious adventure into the wild and discover a new culture with The Sims™ 4 Jungle Adventure*. Explore a unique wilderness landscape, revealing a temple, jungle obstacles, cursed relics and treasures. Experience the culture and customs of Selvadorada, from devouring local eats to learning spicy new dance moves!

• Venture to Selvadorada
    • Explore the Jungle
    • Discover a Hidden Temple
    • Collect Ancient Artifacts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZTgUlEZqgk

===

TS3: Store $19.99 + 100 simpoints or $34.99 +1900 simpoints recommended for purchase of The Boardwalk

CAS - 28 items or 34+ items for Gold Edition
    Buy/Build Mode - 62 items including Classically Cool Fixer-upper Car premium item or 119 items including The Boardwalk content and lot
    World - Roaring Heights

Welcome to a city where bold shapes, rich colors, and lavish looks rule the skyline! The residents of Roaring Heights are living in the fast lane in this booming place filled with striking skyscrapers and bustling beaches. Whether you’re content to hang out on the piers, work your way to the top, or host glamorous parties at home, there’s a place for every lifestyle. With endless opportunities at your front door, which new life will you choose in Roaring Heights?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY2jqTj_9Ek

One of the differences I think is the GP's worlds are only visited like vacations. Whereas the store worlds Sims can live there. Closed, small world? Open, large world with no loading screens? Your opinion is GP's are better than store content, my opinion is no not really. Besides, the stylized art style they applied to TS4...no and no, how about no thank you. What's so great about looking at cardboard cutouts? Yeah, not going to lie I'm so spoiled by semi-realistic or realistic graphics. Though there are exceptions like Pokémon or Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm, etc. Anyway, the point is it really doesn't matter and we agree to disagree. "

I know that, my point is that the price for an SP previously was $20 for stuff, and in this iteration for $20 you get a GP which IMO is much better and less of a rip-off given that most things in GPs I've played with (with exceptions of course) feel more fleshed out. I reckon GP worlds are used as vacations (with the exception of Vampires) because the GPs are about that. The rest of what you mention comes down to liking the main game so yes, agree to disagree.

"Consumers are the reason why a game company is known to be greedy because they allow it. TS4 is cheaply made so how much can they lose compared to previous installments when it's clear not much went into it the first place?"
    Unless you have factual data from the team and publisher themselves, I'm not sure how that can be stated. We don't know the budgets or how much money is going into making content. Whichever way you put it, the game is profitable, and in turn one can guess that perhaps the game is either growing its playerbase or at least maintaining a healthy level otherwise there would be no point in keeping this up.

"I didn't buy GEN for just prom or boarding schools. I bought it for mostly everything it added to flesh out the life stages more. While there usually is something I'm not fond about concerning some features, it doesn't stop me from still enjoying the game the way I want to for the most part, is the point. And while some did complain, the fact is developers can't open up rabbit holes but there are other ways to go about it. You can't change certain limitations so yes workarounds are at least an option than not at all. "
    True, but I played TS2 plenty. I was not used to that, same way I'd cringe at the mere thought of rabbit hole situations in TS4 (which we already have some like volunteering). I'm not a fan of workarounds for features added.

"How is it an issue when using computer specifications that are beyond the system requirements during the game's life span is any other fault than the player if it doesn't work or recognize the graphic card? Newer operating systems aren't always going to work well for older games either."
    Really now, I play other rather demanding games to be forced to hold back on upgrading my rig because one game has issues with more advanced components. And to be honest that entirely depends on how the game was optimized as I play older titles on my current rig perfectly, more often than not it isn't the game just not being compatible with newer components.. On top of that, TS3 can be tweaked to recognize newer cards, and given that I played the game during its development I experienced its performance on rigs that were just good enough as well. I have a GTX 1080ti now, but I played TS3 on a GTX 660 and a GTX 970, as well as an i3 i3-4150 and i5 4690k, and 4GB RAM, 8GB RAM and 16GB RAM. It became clear that the issue lies at the core of the engine.
  • Options
    Funny enough, there's a tweet from Graham that made me laugh a bit, saying that "he had never seen a team produce so much content before as the one for TS4".

I'm not sure how anyone can believe something like that when there is evidence suggesting the opposite.

As far as quality goes I'll disagree there. There were many points in TS3 where I'd have to stop playing because I could simply not put up with it, it got that bad that I'd have to create a new save. I've yet to suffer through that again in this iteration. As far as the rest of the questions, valid and would very much appreciate if the devs would ever talk about it.

TS3 has ambition like an AAA title for sure but in no way is it executed like one overall. Not the worst but not the best either is how I view it. I have had quite a few transfers to new saves as I am still in the process of learning and understanding how am I playing that affects performance so badly. If it were just the game, everyone would have this issue but some don't and they claim to have had their save for many years without ever moving into a new one.

Well, TS4 is similar to gameplay, in a sense, to TS/TS2. And as far as I remember I didn't have any issues with performance in saves. However, the reason for TS3 is because its major addition of the open seamless world. All Sims are simulated at the same time when out around town, this means routing issues are more of an issue than any other Sims games which affects performance. The higher the number of Sims (population) in the world, the more strain on the game engine/computer to simulate them all. The higher amount of objects on any given lot and overall objects in the world will also cause problems. Mods/CC also greatly affects how the well or not the game plays depending on poly count, badly made mod/cc, too much in-game taking up resources used for the CPU/GPU, incompatibilities with other mods/cc, wrong patch level, using outdated mods, Etc. I think the best way to play in terms of longevity is game management. Use Save As and back your saves. Always save your lots, Sims, whatever creations and back that up too.

I revisited my other save yesterday and found out two of my Sims were missing...gone from the game entirely. But not an issue as I just went back a few saves to copy them and then replace them in the latest save. Of course, I had to use a mod to reconnect their relationship status to their kids to show in the U.I. However, in the family tree panel they already were connected still. The Sims recognized they were related but not the U.I.

Yeah, that would be nice if the devs were to have a meaningful conversation about TS4 with fans or even fans no longer. But what does talk do without action? Maybe things some day will change.

Unsure about the last bit, but I reckon one of the main reasons fans up and left was that there was a worthy competitor that wiped the floor with SC2013. I have that game, and truly feels like a successor. Perhaps the same fate could happen if a competitor suddenly makes a life simulation game.

https://www.theverge.com/2013/5/8/4311780/original-simcity-creator-will-wright-calls-ea-botched-launch-inexcusable

I've never once claimed that how I feel about TS4 is a global opinion. You've kept stating TS4 shortcomings and constantly tagging it as an inferior product that is factually lacking and described why, so I don't see how me doing the same with another iteration is surprising. Not only that, but I've criticized and still do TS4, I'm not blind to its issues, I've not stopped asking for improvements much like how I did not stop with TS3.

I ripped apart the autonomy in TS3 and modified it to my own liking, so most of the A.I. does not impress me at all. Same with any Sims game really, it's rather simple math. Commodity settings which push certain autonomous actions based on buff levels (or moodlets as the game calls it) and allowed commodities as well as allowed situations a sim is in. But I do agree that I want more realism. I'd love mortgages, loans, harder jobs, harsher situations, etc.

No, you didn't. I will often say things in a general sense than being directed at the person themselves I'm quoting without warning.

The A.I. is more than just what you describe and is only the surface of obvious calculations seen at first glance. There are plenty of realistic and interesting things in how the Sims behave. How they act and react, how they communicate with other Sims, how they communicate with the player, how they actually develop their own personal motives which has nothing to do with what a player pick or chooses. This is why I have said in the past that only those who are observant and actually pay attention will pick up on this. Some think this is delusional but then what is Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) then? Out of curiosity, I contacted the A.I. designer of TS3 and basically he confirmed some points I've observed so no I'm not delusional nor is anyone who notices this in gameplay either. The open seamless world makes a huge impact in how improved and advanced the A.I. works.

Sims are also so much more than just their assigned traits. There's a role Sim that I turned into a resident and he definitely shows he has commitment issues yet he doesn't have that trait. The kind of wishes he gets is like that of what I would expect from a Sim with that trait and the way he acts is a giveaway. Sims can have grudges, crushes on each other, sometimes they can be manipulative, sometimes they cheat without your input and do all kinds of things without your input, Sims actually can learn and change over time and do have a learning algorithm. Sometimes they mature throughout their virtual life, sometimes they don't. Sims don't always carry the same feelings either. For example, they can fall in love and fall out of love. This is why I say the A.I. is dynamic and always entertaining to me. I don't always direct my Sims to the point I can't get to know the A.I. and that is when the autonomy is the most prominent when I don't interfere and just observe.

"The two ideas I was most interested in at that time were:

-Each character having a unique personality that was manifest in autonomous behavior, driven by a combination of unique goal-oriented desires
    -A model of a social practice as a set of affordances, permissions, and obligations

These ideas only got in to Sims 3 in a limited way, but they became the focus of the game I did afterwards: Versu."
    -Richard Evans

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012450/Modeling-Individual-Personalities-in-The
    https://aliceandkev.wordpress.com/

Unless you have factual data from the team and publisher themselves, I'm not sure how that can be stated. We don't know the budgets or how much money is going into making content. Whichever way you put it, the game is profitable, and in turn one can guess that perhaps the game is either growing its playerbase or at least maintaining a healthy level otherwise there would be no point in keeping this up.

"Funds from The Sims were funnelled into Titanfall and Battlefield. Fair enough, however it is very unfair to then claim poverty and give customers of The Sims an inferior product. Developers have often claimed staples of predecessors are too expensive with their current budget."

https://metro.co.uk/2015/09/27/the-10-biggest-problems-with-the-sims-4-readers-feature-5409308/

True, but I played TS2 plenty. I was not used to that, same way I'd cringe at the mere thought of rabbit hole situations in TS4 (which we already have some like volunteering). I'm not a fan of workarounds for features added.

Disappearing from the screen to go to work or school is more pleasing than following a Sim to work or school and then disappear into a building? Personally, I prefer TS3 design whereas TS2 got really boring if all Sims had work and/or school at the same time and just staring at an empty lot. In TS3 you can easily scroll the camera around and be nosy of the others Sims running about.

Really now, I play other rather demanding games to be forced to hold back on upgrading my rig because one game has issues with more advanced components. And to be honest that entirely depends on how the game was optimized as I play older titles on my current rig perfectly, more often than not it isn't the game just not being compatible with newer components.. On top of that, TS3 can be tweaked to recognize newer cards, and given that I played the game during its development I experienced its performance on rigs that were just good enough as well. I have a GTX 1080ti now, but I played TS3 on a GTX 660 and a GTX 970, as well as an i3 i3-4150 and i5 4690k, and 4GB RAM, 8GB RAM and 16GB RAM. It became clear that the issue lies at the core of the engine.

I am not sure if that is the case which why I said: "How is it an issue when using computer specifications that are beyond the system requirements during the game's life span is any other fault than the player if it doesn't work or recognize the graphic card? Newer operating systems aren't always going to work well for older games either." The truth is that computers have so many different configurations and don't always work with an older or newer game depending on system requirements, etc. Some new hardware might have features that interfere or is not compatible with older games. That is why when I built my gaming desktop specifically for TS3 I made sure to do my research and decided that staying within the game's life span is best. Though, not necessarily meaning TS3 can't or won't work on newer hardware. There are plenty of examples on YouTube with a computer way more powerful and newer than mine. I'm not an exclusive PC gamer anyway so I didn't care for all the higher priced hardware. Now, if TS4 was actually worth it and I needed to upgrade I would. But since I didn't care about TS4 I upgraded anyway but for TS3.

Win 7 64-Bit
    G. SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB
    1 TB HDD
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155
    Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz
    EVGA SuperClocked GeForce GTX 660 2GB

My gaming laptop is much weaker and I have installed all EP's/SP's/Store content and TS3 plays fine. But it has a much lower threshold for high poly cc and mods in general.

Toshiba Qosmio X505 gaming laptop
    Win 7 64 Bit
    8 GB (Originally 4 GB but I upgraded it myself)
    500 GB HDD
    Intel Core i5 M450 @ 2.4GHz
    Video Card: NVidia Geforce GTS 360M

Over time, depending how you play, yes TS3 will develop poor performance and unfortunately this isn't something that was really discussed by developers or there wouldn't be so much confusion over it. TS3 needs player intervention for save management. But if some insist on having too many Sims in the world with all lots and so many objects, etc is their fault. Everything has a limit to what it can and cannot handle. That becomes an issue of being stubborn than it's all the games fault.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    @Deshong04 Well, I'm not gonna reply in quotes now because most of what you said I agree with. I will disagree however about the AI though, everything they retain or every animation depicting a previous life event is found in the code for autonomy. That's why I liked to change it to make them more realistic and unpredictable. If they break up, X buff is applied and stored within that sim. Say commitment issues after a breakup, meaning now that sim has modified commodities when using romance socials, and uses a set of animations that will display such situations.

I played my last save with Nraas Relativity so my days were almost 3x longer, so it was awesome enjoying every little thing that happened during the day, but after a while everything was predictable, even if using NRaas SP. I'm not saying it's not dynamic, it's just not that impressive to me. Certainly TS4 could use a lot of tweaks on personality and traits, it's one of the things I quite dislike about them.

About computer compatibility, if a game is properly optimized it won't run on bumps with higher end rigs unless the game is either really old or simply is not made to fully utilize what your components can offer. Perfect example for this case is TS3 utilization of cores and being limited to 32bit (4GB RAM).

But yeah, overall at this point in time I find TS4 a product I enjoy although certain things I buy at much lower price if I consider them sub-par but I've always done this tbh. There are many things I wish they would improve if only to have hope that if there's a TS5, they will have a better grasp on executing an all around good product. Much like with TS3 I know many things I dislike or simply disagree with as far as design choice so that will certainly dictate any future investments in this franchise.

PS: Excuse any grammar errors, on my phone at work :P
  • Options
    Hmm, I don't see what you see. My Sims surprise me all the time, I learn new things about the game or about the Sims even after 9+ years. The more I play, the more I get to know and understand the Sims and why they act or react the way they do. Interesting, as a study for psychology as I do see a lot of realistic human behaviors and emotions.

While SimCity got a decent competitor, Cities: Skylines, there is no such thing for TS3. I wish I could see a more ambitious A.I. from Richard Evans in another more mature and realistic life simulator. The Sims future is so depressing to me and I'm curious what does Will Wright think. Oh well, I'm going to go play Minecraft now, TS3 later and eventually back to RE2.

I think I exhausted almost everything, if not everything, about another 3 years of a mediocre TS4.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

ETA - Thank you for the good thoughts - but at this point it is just day to day. Never know what to expect now a days. I had no inkling at all I would be suddenly rushed off to the hospital two weeks ago - so one day at a time is all I can do.

Really sorry to hear you had to go to the hospital. I hope you are feeling better.

Thank you - for the good thoughts.

It was the reason why I didn't saw you those times. Happy to see you there cuz I don't know why I always liked you. :blush:

Thank you - I like you too Jordan.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Hmm, I don't see what you see. My Sims surprise me all the time, I learn new things about the game or about the Sims even after 9+ years. The more I play, the more I get to know and understand the Sims and why they act or react the way they do. Interesting, as a study for psychology as I do see a lot of realistic human behaviors and emotions.

While SimCity got a decent competitor, Cities: Skylines, there is no such thing for TS3. I wish I could see a more ambitious A.I. from Richard Evans in another more mature and realistic life simulator. The Sims future is so depressing to me and I'm curious what does Will Wright think. Oh well, I'm going to go play Minecraft now, TS3 later and eventually back to RE2.

I think I exhausted almost everything, if not everything, about another 3 years of a mediocre TS4.

I also seem to always find new stuff when I play TS3 even after years. The same does not happen with TS4, that's for sure.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

I also wish The Sims had a competitor, I'm still surprised there isn't one after what, 19 years?

But yeah, with every pack released TS3 stopped surprising me after 2 years, might have to do with the way I play. Most outcomes or reactions were predictable, even playing with days 3x longer so I'd have more time to enjoy each action. The same applies to TS4. Having exhausted ITF, raided all tombs, collected everything, mastered every skill, running resorts and owning several houses and houseboats, etc. Nothing surprised me anymore, even though I still played for another 4 years on and off.

I also recall reading a bunch of simmers wanting to have the wimsy funny sims from TS2, but I think in TS4 it's overly done and ended up being superficial.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

I also seem to always find new stuff when I play TS3 even after years. The same does not happen with TS4, that's for sure.

Ts3 is really a jewel of a game. I'm also still amazed at its depth next to ts4.
  • Options
    Since yesterdays earning call - I see a lot more than just 3 more years with the EA heads talking 20 eps and free content coming for Sims 4.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    Since yesterdays earning call - I see a lot more than just 3 more years with the EA heads talking 20 eps and free content coming for Sims 4.

thanks for the info @Writin_Reg. Looks like I'll be playing TS3 for quite some time then. That's okay though. After having taken a long break from TS3, it's like discovering it all over again and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Hopefully, they take the time needed to do a really good job with TS5. I'd rather wait while they do it right. I certainly don't want a rushed product laden with bugs and performance issues like TS4.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

thanks for the info @Writin_Reg. Looks like I'll be playing TS3 for quite some time then. That's okay though. After having taken a long break from TS3, it's like discovering it all over again and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Hopefully, they take the time needed to do a really good job with TS5. I'd rather wait while they do it right. I certainly don't want a rushed product laden with bugs and performance issues like TS4.

I just hope they are not just thinking GF size worlds - what ever they do. I was also hoping for word of more gps too - especially for supernaturals - but no indication of anything but eps. I hope it's just an oversight. Sounds like Sims 5 is decades away.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited February 2019
    I have a complete set of Sims 3 on my machine but don't feel like going back but you never know.

Today I was doing a Springclean, trying to find a wireless mouse that works as mine was kaput and found my disk of "pruned" Sims 2 downloaded objects, (thoroughly tested to work), so might give that another tryout. I really loved that game and it took a lot of time to accept Sims 3. I ranted a lot about that! It's good to have the choice.

Sims 5 can take it's time. 4 and 2 are still ok for me. Even The Sims if I could get it to play with Windows 10.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don’t know.
    Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:EA) is sliding 10.6% after its Q3 report, where bookings and adjusted profit fell short of consensus and the company cut full-year guidance on both metrics.

While digital revenues of $1.2B were mostly in line, packaged goods and other revenues of $410M fell well short of consensus for $527.7M.

Gross profit rose to $876M, up 33% Y/Y. Gross margin came in at 77.4%.

Net revenue breakout: Product, $552M (up 0.9%); Service and other, $737M (up 20.2%).

“Q3 was a difficult quarter for Electronic Arts and we did not perform to our expectations," says CEO Andrew Wilson. "We are now applying the strengths of our company to sharpen our execution and focus on delivering great new games and long-term live services for our players."

For Q4 it's guiding to net bookings of about $1.17B, below consensus for $1.75B.

It expects 2019 adjusted revenue of about $4.875B, down from a previous forecast for $5.2B, and sees adjusted EPS coming in at $3.85 vs. a prior $4.57.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3429897-electronic-arts-minus-10_6-percent-q3-miss-trimmed-guidance

The sims game has sold over a billion units. Nothing to indicate that’s the sims 4 alone. The wording says sims not the sims 4.
  • Options
    I don’t know.
    Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:EA) is sliding 10.6% after its Q3 report, where bookings and adjusted profit fell short of consensus and the company cut full-year guidance on both metrics.

While digital revenues of $1.2B were mostly in line, packaged goods and other revenues of $410M fell well short of consensus for $527.7M.

Net revenue breakout: Product, $552M (up 0.9%); Service and other, $737M (up 20.2%).

“Q3 was a difficult quarter for Electronic Arts and we did not perform to our expectations," says CEO Andrew Wilson. "We are now applying the strengths of our company to sharpen our execution and focus on delivering great new games and long-term live services for our players."

For Q4 it's guiding to net bookings of about $1.17B, below consensus for $1.75B.

It expects 2019 adjusted revenue of about $4.875B, down from a previous forecast for $5.2B, and sees adjusted EPS coming in at $3.85 vs. a prior $4.57.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3429897-electronic-arts-minus-10_6-percent-q3-miss-trimmed-guidance

The sims game has sold over a billion units. Nothing to indicate that’s the sims 4 alone. The wording says sims not the sims 4.

This is confusing because in a different thread they state TS4 made a billion dollars all by itself but this post here tells a different story. What is correct? because more money in the billions could mean a better TS5, or maybe even better content for TS4 pc version, but if it's just a billion units sold at $5 per unit (as we saw for about three months) then not so much money....I wonder what amount is correct and now if TS4 really did bring in $1 billion dollars as the other thread claims, which is relevant to this discussion of what they do or don't do for TS4 with all that money.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I don’t know.

It looks hopeful for a Sims 5 sometime in the future though. EA still has server problems quite often which probably doesn't help sales of it's online games. https://downdetector.com/status/ea
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I don’t know.

This is confusing because in a different thread they state TS4 made a billion dollars all by itself but this post here tells a different story. What is correct? because more money in the billions could mean a better TS5, or maybe even better content for TS4 pc version, but if it's just a billion units sold at $5 per unit (as we saw for about three months) then not so much money....I wonder what amount is correct and now if TS4 really did bring in $1 billion dollars as the other thread claims, which is relevant to this discussion of what they do or don't do for TS4 with all that money.

Yes indeed, and talks about possibly 20 EPs which at the current rate it'd take a freaking decade. I saw that thread too linking to its source and the comparison that The Sims as a franchise had brought in 2.5 billions in 2010 and The Sims 4 alone 1 billion. Information is far too scattered, but I guess at the end of the day it matters little if EAxis doesn't use the resources properly.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I don’t know.

Yes indeed, and talks about possibly 20 EPs which at the current rate it'd take a freaking decade. I saw that thread too linking to its source and the comparison that The Sims as a franchise had brought in 2.5 billions in 2010 and The Sims 4 alone 1 billion. Information is far too scattered, but I guess at the end of the day it matters little if EAxis doesn't use the resources properly.

Yeah, if that amount was correct, then you wonder why they cut studios, lay off developers, and do the most work by less people. But I guess that's a dicussion for a different complaint. I thought they meant 20 more DLC and or packs mixed............meaning we may have just seen two or three of those 20 things already, like the free content yesterday would have been one, and that L z thing your Sim uses might have been one, etc. Doesn't mean there are going to be 20 packs does it? They like to parse words which has always drove me crazy. People should just use plain talk. lol Like someone pointed out that year would end in March 2020...o.k. then it means that 'year' has already started so we have to consider they may have already released 'some' of that 20 new DLC...(of their fiscal year)
  • Options
    I don’t know.

Yeah, if that amount was correct, then you wonder why they cut studios, lay off developers, and do the most work by less people. But I guess that's a dicussion for a different complaint. I thought they meant 20 more DLC and or packs mixed............meaning we may have just seen two or three of those 20 things already, like the free content yesterday would have been one, and that L z thing your Sim uses might have been one, etc. Doesn't mean there are going to be 20 packs does it? They like to parse words which has always drove me crazy. People should just use plain talk. lol Like someone pointed out that year would end in March 2020...o.k. then it means that 'year' has already started so we have to consider they may have already released 'some' of that 20 new DLC...(of their fiscal year)

Yup, so many questions, yet the way they talk is...ugh. I would not count yesterday though, that was IMO a lackluster patch and the bug fixing was rather miserable, if they count that they are even more nuts than I thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top