Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do We Really Need Another Three Years? TS4 at Four Years Old

Comments

• Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I don't know, I'm more inclined to think wait, if I spent $40 on something or even $20 and the features that are supposed to be in that pack no longer function correctly then I wasted money, right? Doesn't matter if there are some clothes or furniture or object I could use somewhere else, the point is you paid for the full pack and most of it was unusable or set up in such a way the player is avoiding it because of the broken feature. So, I don't know how anyone can defend that. Or want three more years of it.

I couldn't agree more.

It's bad enough that we are not getting a quality product with The Sims 4. It's even much worse when problems either take months to fix or do not get fixed at all.

We are waaay overdue for them to scrap The Sims 4 and move on. Unfortunately, as long as people continue to throw good money after bad in this game, nothing is going to change. It's obvious that they only care about making money and quality is a very low priority.

ETA: And I wonder why gamers don't treat games like other things they buy, if everything is not working, we return it. We don't keep a vacuum cleaner if the hose part is broken and can't pick up a dust bunny, but it sweeps the floor just fine. We wouldn't pay that much for it to half work. It's time we all start treating games like any other product.

I could be way off base here, but I believe the reason we treat this game differently from other things that we buy is because The Sims is the only product of its kind out there to my knowledge. If there were other companies out there making a similar game, there would be competition for our business. Then I believe the quality would improve and the price be lower.

Well maybe some do buy everything Sims. I used to. Starting with Sims 1 I bought each and every EP and SP right through Sims 3. I didn't buy anything for the Sims 2 store but I have most of Sims 3 store. I bought the base game for Sims 4.

I haven't bought anything for it since. I don't even go into Origin and let it update. I dislike the fact that they went backward and I'm missing things I really loved from Sims 2 and 3. Especially from 3. So even though the Sims is the only PC game I play, I will not buy anything else for 4.

Completely against the norm for me.

And I have no faith what-so-ever that Sims 5, if it ever comes, will be any better than 4.

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't know, I'm more inclined to think wait, if I spent $40 on something or even $20 and the features that are supposed to be in that pack no longer function correctly then I wasted money, right? Doesn't matter if there are some clothes or furniture or object I could use somewhere else, the point is you paid for the full pack and most of it was unusable or set up in such a way the player is avoiding it because of the broken feature. So, I don't know how anyone can defend that. Or want three more years of it.

I couldn't agree more.

It's bad enough that we are not getting a quality product with The Sims 4. It's even much worse when problems either take months to fix or do not get fixed at all.

We are waaay overdue for them to scrap The Sims 4 and move on. Unfortunately, as long as people continue to throw good money after bad in this game, nothing is going to change. It's obvious that they only care about making money and quality is a very low priority.

ETA: And I wonder why gamers don't treat games like other things they buy, if everything is not working, we return it. We don't keep a vacuum cleaner if the hose part is broken and can't pick up a dust bunny, but it sweeps the floor just fine. We wouldn't pay that much for it to half work. It's time we all start treating games like any other product.

I could be way off base here, but I believe the reason we treat this game differently from other things that we buy is because The Sims is the only product of its kind out there to my knowledge. If there were other companies out there making a similar game, there would be competition for our business. Then I believe the quality would improve and the price be lower.

Well maybe some do buy everything Sims. I used to. Starting with Sims 1 I bought each and every EP and SP right through Sims 3. I didn't buy anything for the Sims 2 store but I have most of Sims 3 store. I bought the base game for Sims 4.

I haven't bought anything for it since. I don't even go into Origin and let it update. I dislike the fact that they went backward and I'm missing things I really loved from Sims 2 and 3. Especially from 3. So even though the Sims is the only PC game I play, I will not buy anything else for 4.

Completely against the norm for me.

And I have no faith what-so-ever that Sims 5, if it ever comes, will be any better than 4.

Considering they are bragging it sold over thirty million EPs etc. and how much money that would be and that money sure isn't going back into this game, I have to agree, there is little hope now that TS5 would be a better game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    I'm starting to think I'm part of that 'there is one born every minute' because I kept buying too, up until C&D. Trying hard to 'make it better'.

Same here.
    I borrowed a complete The Sims 4 collection recently to see how it runs on my new rig. Seeing as my issues became even worse though, I no longer feel guilty for stopping giving Maxis money. Now I can put it away again and hope for a new base sometime soon.

I was very much on and off TS4 from the start. However before City Living all my issues were based on lacking gameplay. After City Living I got severe case of simulation lag. I actually came back close to Cats and Dogs release as they did lessen it. Then I got to experience all the issues with Cats and Dogs, my previous expansions (Get To Work careers are famously bugged, running Dine Out restaurants is famously bugged, vampires loving to burn themselves to death is very well known) and, very disappointingly, I realized that even with lessened simulation lag, it still did come back, it just took longer.

Now with a borrowed copy I've seen further decline of game health with my sim teleporting to locations that they should run to, then running all the way back including going through solid objects such as walls and then going all the way back to the location of original order. I also had a few issues where multi-action things executed wrong. Such as my sim wanted to order from a stall in City Living. Before she got to the stall, it already had her food, she took the food, then payed, then ordered.
    Stormsview wrote: »
    We are caught like a boy-cow by his horns we are kicking but we can not do anything.
    I think the return rule is only 7 days after you buy the base game. The base game is the only thing that counts, everything else is just add on to base game so no refunds on SP, GP, EP. unless you bought them all within the 7 days.

But if you prepay you can get a refund before the game is released. but not after.
    So do not blame us. EA/Maxis is just smarter then we are lol.
    if I am wrong someone will yell at me :D but I am right.

If you see a repeating pattern, surely you stop buying somewhere too.
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,653 Member
    edited October 2018
    mirta000 wrote: »

I stopped buying after Cats and Dogs really created problems in my game.

I do have to admit tho that I am guilty, in my mind, of continuing to buy a lot longer than I should have. :(
    Post edited by luvdasims55 on
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Makes me wonder, with bugs and all, will this Python update make a difference?

And if they did truly sell over 30 million copies, will it start to show in this game or will they keep milking their customers with each additional pack?

"Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options

And if they did truly sell over 30 million copies, will it start to show in this game or will they keep milking their customers with each additional pack?

Well, proof will be in the next EP, right? Because those totals had to be way up there while they were making GF and it comes with a whoping six liveable lots. And one open career.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,084 Member

I do hope the new upgrade makes a difference. Not sure though I'd agree that they're milking their customers. We all operate under free will. 🙂
  • Options
    edited October 2018

I do hope the new upgrade makes a difference. Not sure though I'd agree that they're milking their customers. We all operate under free will. 🙂

This isn't exactly true. Not sure how much you know about what gaming companies and google, FB, and Youtube do to build their products in a way to make a person addicted to their product or site. But it's a fact. The truth is out there. :D You are being manipulated, you just don't know it.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited October 2018
    I’m curious about this 30 million figure. Is that all dlc? I assume console is being included? Because 30 million over 4 years isn’t that impressive. Red Dead Redemption 2 sold Ten million in 3 days and the number is increasing.
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    Even though they sold over 30 million copies isn't the game almost always on sale? What role does that play? Usually on here and different social media sites people are waiting for a price drop by half or even greater to buy so how much money are they really raking in if not every pack sold is being sold at full price?

And how many of those buyers are happy with the product? It's not like some people can get a refund. Based on what they have going on in their life it may take weeks or more to sit down, play, and realize if the pack is great or isn't cutting it and there's a certain window in which you can ask for a refund, right?

Not saying 30 million sales isn't a good thing but just because you've sold 30 million doesn't mean there are 30 million happy or satisfied customers.
    I’m curious about this 30 million figure. Is that all dlc? I assume console is being included? Because 30 million over 4 years isn’t that impressive. Red Dead Redemption 2 sold Ten million in 3 days and the number is increasing.

I was wondering this too.

I have friends who have RDR2 and they've been going on and on about the attention to detail. I'm not much into those kinds of games but the time, passion and love put into that game seems to show based on what I've read about it.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,653 Member
    I think a big difference in quality is apparent due to games like RDR2 only coming out every few years. The Sims franchise is putting things out every other month or so, which is a big reason why the packs often seem rushed to me.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,084 Member

This isn't exactly true. Not sure how much you know about what gaming companies and google, FB, and Youtube do to build their products in a way to make a person addicted to their product or site. But it's a fact. The truth is out there. :D You are being manipulated, you just don't know it.

I'd hardly call it manipulation when you're happy with a product. Now those who complain but are first in line to buy might want to give some thought to product/design manipulation.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018
    The very fact this game is even more popular than it was is more people like it than those who don't. Sims has never done so well and as long as it performs like a new base game in the public buying it - they will never see a need to have a new rendition until this one stops performing on the market like it does. No company in their right mind is going to stop a product that continues to perform like the brand new does. That is business and smart business whether or not you like the product - they go by the sells not this disgruntled. No body can make a person like a product they don't like - just like no one can force a person to hate a product they love - there are many in between though that buy it just in case too it will give them something they need - all of it adds up when more new people get into it and all spreads it to other new people. Sims 1-2 and 3 - were big for many of the vets - but Sims 4 brought many, many more new people in - many people who hardly even heard of this game and they are experiencing the wonder us vets saw with the first game. It is obvious - I see it every where. EA's strategy worked and as much as many vets were not crazy about Origin - newbs get it and love the free that goes with live service. The money the game makes proves that.

The newer generation are a very different mindset than most of us vets - no matter what part of the world we are from. Different ways of thinking and doing from us older people. The world is not the same place it was 19 years ago and they actually get the game as it is - while we value the detail. Peope today do not have time for detail and things that waste their time - think about it. The detail we complain of - we like the drawn out much more than new generation - they move through the game fast way more than most vets do... this game does that well and of course makes us vets unhappy - but not enough we all stop. I have adjusted by finding ways around a lot of it and still having my slower moving game I enjoy.

The only thing I have not come to terms was being forced to play less households. I prefer to run all the households. Not newb would probably ever be interested in that.

One imprtant factor - how ever you like the game is your choices as much as you can make it your choice - no one plays it wrong as there is no right or wrong way to play - we may be limited as vets - but we find ways to get around what we can and enjoy our games and the newbs like the pace they can enjoy the game without all the little detail. EA has found a bit of a sweet spot - so they get continued success.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    One imprtant factor - how ever you like the game is your choices as much as you can make it your choice - no one plays it wrong as there is no right or wrong way to play - we may be limited as vets - but we find ways to get around what we can and enjoy our games and the newbs like the pace they can enjoy the game without all the little detail. EA has found a bit of a sweet spot - so they get continued success.

The issue though is that the game is broken. And continues getting more and more broken instead of getting fixed. Are you telling me that these people do not play with apartments, pets, restaurants, get to work careers?
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member

Well, proof will be in the next EP, right? Because those totals had to be way up there while they were making GF and it comes with a whoping six liveable lots. And one open career.

And top it off available for $39.99.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    edited November 2018
    I look at Sims 4 as an de-evolutionary product meaning it removes features that it once had such as open world, placeable and editable lots, CAW, etc. They put loading screens back in place and give the game an few new features such as interconnecting neighborhoods and supposely an better emotion system, etc. The features added do not bring me the "A" game and for me it feels like an gimped game and I am also an educated gamer that knows the game is gimped as the game is directed at certain types such as those with low end and some middle end users. Those with high end such as myself are out of luck as the game does not scale to the system specs and has the feel of an game that was intended to be played on an tablet. I do believe Sims 4 has reached it peak IMHO and sure they may try to give many an terrain tool that within itself is not enough. How about neighborhood creation tools, the ability to alter my lots sizes on the fly, etc? If those are not added or cannot be added I am wasting my time because I do not wish to wait for an Nieghborhood to be handed down and it is thier design and not mine.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,344 Member
    Please just fix the critical bugs of TS4! A beautiful game is degrading away because of horrible bugs... At this state and how much I like the TS4, I'm willing to pay double per expansion for EA to hire more bug fixing staff. I don't want a Sims 5, but I do want these critical bugs vaporized from TS4! It's an awesome game, and it deserves a heck of a lot more love than it's currently getting. Throwing out new content including both paid and free means nothing when there are all these horrible bugs! Please fix them!
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    As someone who is currently enjoying playing Sims 4 with all packs I want it to continue until all bugs and issues are ironed out and I get a few more additions like Universities, Supernatural and possibly a beach world and farming or zoo parts added. It seems as soon as a new Pack is shown to be in the works all remedial work on the older iteration stops.

• Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited November 2018

If they find out we will pay for what we do not want, We will never get what we want,

Post edited by Stormsview on
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited November 2018
    I’m curious about this 30 million figure. Is that all DLC? I assume console is being included? Because 30 million over 4 years isn’t that impressive. Red Dead Redemption 2 sold Ten million in 3 days and the number is increasing.

It's probably just PC expansion packs, and the comment about Sims 4 had nothing to do with sales. He said that expansion packs have been downloaded over 30 million times life to date; as someone who's installed Sims 4 on more than one computer, as well as uninstalled and redownloaded Sims 4 a few times since release, this figure is not surprising to me nor does it spell absolute raging success. That's just my opinion from my own experience in this area though. Investors are who you really need to sell, so you're only going to feed them positive sounding information even if there's little significance behind it - i.e. referring to life to date downloads which don't translate 1:1 to sales.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I’m curious about this 30 million figure. Is that all DLC? I assume console is being included? Because 30 million over 4 years isn’t that impressive. Red Dead Redemption 2 sold Ten million in 3 days and the number is increasing.

It's probably just PC expansion packs, and the comment about Sims 4 had nothing to do with sales. He said that expansion packs have been downloaded over 30 million times life to date; as someone who's installed Sims 4 on more than one computer, as well as uninstalled and redownloaded Sims 4 a few times since release, this figure is not surprising to me nor does it spell absolute raging success. That's just my opinion from my own experience in this area though. Investors are who you really need to sell, so you're only going to feed them positive sounding information even if there's little significance behind it - i.e. referring to life to date downloads which don't translate 1:1 to sales.

That’s a good point actually. Also worth noting then that the sims 4 and some dlc is available through EA access which allows you to download for free as long as you keep up your subscription. Speaking of investors, EAs shares dipped recently didn’t they I read so more than likely this is statement is propaganda to make them look better.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    edited November 2018
    I'm starting to think I'm part of that 'there is one born every minute' because I kept buying too, up until C&D. Trying hard to 'make it better'.

Same here.
    I borrowed a complete The Sims 4 collection recently to see how it runs on my new rig. Seeing as my issues became even worse though, I no longer feel guilty for stopping giving Maxis money. Now I can put it away again and hope for a new base sometime soon.

I was very much on and off TS4 from the start. However before City Living all my issues were based on lacking gameplay. After City Living I got severe case of simulation lag. I actually came back close to Cats and Dogs release as they did lessen it. Then I got to experience all the issues with Cats and Dogs, my previous expansions (Get To Work careers are famously bugged, running Dine Out restaurants is famously bugged, vampires loving to burn themselves to death is very well known) and, very disappointingly, I realized that even with lessened simulation lag, it still did come back, it just took longer.

Now with a borrowed copy I've seen further decline of game health with my sim teleporting to locations that they should run to, then running all the way back including going through solid objects such as walls and then going all the way back to the location of original order. I also had a few issues where multi-action things executed wrong. Such as my sim wanted to order from a stall in City Living. Before she got to the stall, it already had her food, she took the food, then payed, then ordered.
    We are caught like a boy-cow by his horns we are kicking but we can not do anything.
    I think the return rule is only 7 days after you buy the base game. The base game is the only thing that counts, everything else is just add on to base game so no refunds on SP, GP, EP. unless you bought them all within the 7 days.

But if you prepay you can get a refund before the game is released. but not after.

How can you "borrow" Sims 4? Were you given the owners's address and password?

I bought FE from Origin, took a look at it, not my style, returned it and got a refund in a week so Simmers can do the same.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2018

No - they count Unique accounts. You will only be counted by the one you bought that is connected to your account and only basegame no matter what devices you run it on. I do believe they count the console differently as you account is linked with the first basegame so I do not think they are counting that in those numbers. No they don't count trials. Live service has something to do with it as well.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Simburian wrote: »

Same here.

I bought FE from Origin, took a look at it, not my style, returned it and got a refund in a week so Simmers can do the same.

No, Simmers can't return anything other than a base game and it has a short window to do that. All SPs and EPs are not under the 100% satisfaction offers. They are not returnable. And the license is no longer transferrable so you can't get some of your money back by selling a cd second hand and hasn't been since TS4's release. And most CDs are download only with code inside and most don't have the game on the actual cd, so yeah, it's a you bought it, you keep it sort of deal on EPs and SPs.
  • Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    Simburian wrote: »

Same here.

No, Simmers can't return anything other than a base game and it has a short window to do that. All SPs and EPs are not under the 100% satisfaction offers. They are not returnable. And the license is no longer transferrable so you can't get some of your money back by selling a cd second hand and hasn't been since TS4's release. And most CDs are download only with code inside and most don't have the game on the actual cd, so yeah, it's a you bought it, you keep it sort of deal on EPs and SPs.

...I've returned TS4 DLC's before. I returned Laundry Day 1 day after I bought it since I thought it was lame and not worht the $10. I just contacted the help desk with the chat, told them that I wanted to return it, and they game me the money back.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top