Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Update coming Today with a Livestream

Comments

• Options
    Hobbitmama75Hobbitmama75 Posts: 75 Member
    I think they said the update was coming on the same day as the LS, so it should be shortly after the LS, I'm guessing?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2018
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Eliharb wrote: »
    At this point it's most definitely a gallery update that they're gonna walk us through. With the gallery being down this week for tests probably. Also, Grant tweeted (then deleted) an image of the new gallery UI where you can fit more screenshots for your lot, and comments have been moved up.
    Dg5AHK1U0AEBf9V.jpg

Hopefully they did some other, non-gallery updates as well...

Yeah. it's probably just a gallery update. :\

My question, why in the heck does it need to be saved to see which packs it uses? That's an extra step (too much).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    I think they said the update was coming on the same day as the LS, so it should be shortly after the LS, I'm guessing?

Cool. Thank you for that. I did notice everybody saying it's coming today, but then I took a look at the first page on the announcement and it talked more about the Livestream, which is what had me concerned. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,435 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    MrSimmis wrote: »
    To the people whining about it being a gallery update you only have yourselves to blame...They specifically said do not get hyped and what did you all do?

No, they hyped it because they are actually doing a live stream about it. Normally, live streams are reserved for gameplay. I mean who can't go onto the gallery to see improvements in search features (which has been requested many times). Was there really a need to live stream such updates? When they are normally (streams) for gameplay features.

This exactly, doing a livestream on that when they could just post a blog on it.
    We’ll have to wait 10am pst then.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    At this point it's most definitely a gallery update that they're gonna walk us through. With the gallery being down this week for tests probably. Also, Grant tweeted (then deleted) an image of the new gallery UI where you can fit more screenshots for your lot, and comments have been moved up.
    Dg5AHK1U0AEBf9V.jpg

My question, why in the heck does it need to be saved to see which packs it uses? That's an extra step (too much).

The data for that isn’t collected until the lot is packaged. For the player they should know already by looking at the pack icon on each catalogue item when it’s selected. If you’re trying to only use certain packs you can filter them.
  • Options
    Dg5AHK1U0AEBf9V.jpg

The data for that isn’t collected until the lot is packaged. For the player they should know already by looking at the pack icon on each catalogue item when it’s selected. If you’re trying to only use certain packs you can filter them.

I think that picture was for what we would see if we were looking at the lot as the downloader and not the player uploading. Or did I look at it backwards?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    The live streams are always at such an inconvenient time for me. I have a full-time job on the east coast of the US and I'm always at work.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    I’m so excited! I have to miss the stream due to work but I can’t wait to see it later. I’m not looking at what it is until i watch the stream. It could be so tiny and I don’t care I’m just excited for new things.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    The live streams are always at such an inconvenient time for me. I have a full-time job on the east coast of the US and I'm always at work.

I don't have a new phone but Twitch can be downloaded too, as a phone app, if you sneak off to the bathroom. :);)

https://mobile.twitch.tv/
  • Options
    TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    omg i can't wait for this to be over so the constant repetitive speculation can finally stop did this even need 23 pages of which 95% is the same exact thing? :s
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,435 Member
    ikiamyetta wrote: »
    Right! Then having to wait after hours to check on the forum or some site who has the info. Luckily today’s the first I’ll be able to watch, just hoping it’s worthwhile
  • Options
    LMcGELMcGE Posts: 226 Member
    I'm looking forward to it. I don't expect much, though I would *like* plenty :smile:

However it will be early evening for us here in the UK and I might have to go out for a little while right at the time it is due to happen. It will be something to look forward to on my return.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    omg i can't wait for this to be over so the constant repetitive speculation can finally stop did this even need 23 pages of which 95% is the same exact thing? :s

Did you need to bump it to 24 pages by posting about posting? :D
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I mean, no matter what they do, patches are free updates anyway, so people shouldn't really bite the hand. But if it's a gallery update and nothing else, I think they would be better off not touting it as a surprise one week in advance
    I think the concern is that they always talk about how they have limited time and budget, so putting their limited resources into a gallery overhaul seems like such a waste considering how many game-breaking bugs are still there...

It's a way for EA to make more money, with gallery influencers and such promoting their stuff I guess.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Dg5AHK1U0AEBf9V.jpg

I think that picture was for what we would see if we were looking at the lot as the downloader and not the player uploading. Or did I look at it backwards?

You are looking at it backwards. That’s the POV of the person saving the lot.
  • Options
    Dg5AHK1U0AEBf9V.jpg

You are looking at it backwards. That’s the POV of the person saving the lot.

Thank you. You are always so nice when I flub up. :)
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Many people have been complaining about the gallery, creators of builds and Sims alike. There are numerous threads about how the pictures don't show the best side of the builds (or depending on the lot hardly show the builds at all) or how creations are "stolen" and reuploaded. These were apparently major concerns to a big part of the community. So anyone thinking that a gallery update would be made up out of thin air has not been reading the forums that much - if that is in fact what is coming.
    This reminds of how we as a community voted for a laundry pack and at the same time are complaining that the game is too soft and uneventful. The Sims community is not homogeneous, which is a blessing and a curse. We all want more but very different things.
    This update was announced as a feature update we should not get too excited about, so anyone who turns out to be upset or disappointed should probably learn to manage their expectations better.

I second this. I have seen many threads with pages and pages of debate about the gallery. I have seen a lot of people expressing frustration with the sorting features in the gallery. I have even seen people having trouble finding the Maxis Creator and the premade Sims in the gallery. It has been requested for changes, for a long time. It may not be what "most" people want, but it is still what "many" people want. There have even been a lot of constructive suggestions made on how to improve it and what kind of balance is needed.

There is no game feature that is absolute in universal praise or criticism. This game update will most likely make some people very happy, some people won't care, and some people will think it's unnecessary. For the latter, maybe the next one will be more to their liking.

Also, having a livestream does not mean they are "hyping" the update. Many, many people have been asking for transparency, information, and communication. This does not mean it will always come in the form of what they want, when they want it, and how they want it. We have been told that Maxis will be addressing the communication plans at the end of this livestream, so even if you don't care about the feature update, there will still be some information about how they are moving forward.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    Hi. I'm excited about the Livestream, which is unusual for me, but I'm also hoping we get the Update today, as well. Does anybody know? Is it one or the other or both? I mean, normally I listen to Talk Radio while playing my game. Today, I don't even have the radio on. Giving up Rush Limbaugh for the Livestream. :open_mouth: I know, I know. LOL I'm just hoping this is good. :)

The update will release today. :) SimGuruKate mentioned it would drop the same day of the livestream, however, she did not say when. Maybe it'll be 10am/or 12pm PST and so it'll either be before the live-stream or after. I feel that since they're trying for a 1 hour stream today that it will be at 12pm PST so they can show us the update and then release it.
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    My point is that is what they always do. What’s the most requested feature? Why not start with that? Because like I said, they’re worried about the social aspect of it more than anything. How long have people been begging for a color wheel? A CAW? Realistic teens?? Some people may want an updated gallery, but I haven’t seen a thread myself. When I see countless threads for these important (should’ve been BASE GAME) content. Their priorities are just skewed at this point.
  • Options
    MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited July 2018
    To the people whining about it being a gallery update you only have yourselves to blame...They specifically said do not get hyped and what did you all do?

No, they hyped it because they are actually doing a live stream about it. Normally, live streams are reserved for gameplay. I mean who can't go onto the gallery to see improvements in search features (which has been requested many times). Was there really a need to live stream such updates? When they are normally (streams) for gameplay features.
    They specifically said DO NOT GET HYPED...I really don't know what to tell you.

• Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    Not long to go now! No matter what it is, I'm just happy we are getting an update. :)
  • Options

lol, but even though they said don't get hyped they are actually streaming, which in itself causes hype and I think they know that.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I may be misreading comments, but it looks like some people find the idea of this live stream somewhat upsetting? It is a direct way of talking about the development process and communicating with us via chat, which should be a good thing?
    And IF the main reason is in fact a gallery update - a feature that has been unchanged since the game came out - it would make a lot of sense that they would show new search or upload functions in a stream. Some may be able to figure it out right away, but others may not; and they could miss out on the new functionality - whatever the updated feature is, actually. It's like how I don't understand why some people cannot seem to find out at which time a live stream will be in their time zone, even though they are clearly connected to the internet. But the truth is that everyone has a different way of looking at things; something that seems obvious to me may be an enigma to another - and vice versa.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited July 2018

lol, but even though they said don't get hyped they are actually streaming, which in itself causes hype and I think they know that.
    It's a new communication strategy and they specifically said it...if they said the hob was hot don't touch it would you all go and touch it?

edit - changed marketing for communication.

• Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    @MrSimmis if someone told you, you were getting a special treat later in the day, and even though they said “don’t get excited” you would still be excited, you’d still be anxious.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top