Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Contradiction Regarding Quarterly Teasers

Comments

• Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited July 2018
    mika wrote: »
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    Quality over quantity. I recall people complaining about how much Stuff Packs were being released in short periods of time and now that they're slowing down releases to improve packs, it's an issue for y'all.

Would you rather have more or better? Her post is fairly simple. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

No one said the content is going to be better. That's something people ''expect'', but it's not based on anything official they said.
    That said, we’re also reaffirming that a bright future lies ahead for The Sims 4. The full Sims 4 Development Team is working hard on multiple packs that are in various stages of development. We also remain committed to improving the game via updates and more free content, which will continue to release on a frequent cadence. Ultimately this is a signal that we’ve heard your feedback, and we’re tweaking our plans to deliver the content you’ve been asking for.

Thank You!
    SimGuruKate

The last paragraph is her promising better content with more in a pack than before. You either have selective attention or didn't bother to read the entire thing.

How is she saying the quality will be better?

It's all hollow speech if you ask me.

A ) Ofcourse the dev team is working hard on various packs that are in different stages of production. That's nothing new.
    B ) Ofcourse they say they keep improving the game via updates and more free content (that doesn't mean that what they think is improvement is actual improvement in my eyes or your eyes, it doesn't say anything.)
    C ) 'We heard you' we have heard that before. And tweaking plans to deliver content we have been asking for doesn't mean it's executed well enough so that we think it's good and improvement. Also it's not promising us the quality will be better.

So, I don't know where you read she is promising us that there will be ''more in a pack than before''. You either have selective attention or didn't bother to read the entire thing closely. ;)
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited July 2018

Exactly what I told you.
    Note: In 2011, TS3 Store team came to help the TS3 EP team.

they simply no longer make sense with how we will be release content moving forward.

Sure with only 1 pack each year, they can't post 3 quarterly teasers with nothing to announce :p
    Good news, we should no longer get these disappointing Stuff Packs.

The Community Poll told the theme of one of the last SP like they did for The Sims 3.
    I imagine SP team should go to help the GP/EP teams and Maxis should release more GP/EP at the end of TS4.
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited July 2018
    Quality over quantity. I recall people complaining about how much Stuff Packs were being released in short periods of time and now that they're slowing down releases to improve packs, it's an issue for y'all.

Would you rather have more or better? Her post is fairly simple. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

People will never be happy...

Yup. At this point I just mute/ignore the negative nancies, it's always the same people anyways.
  • Options
    EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Sul sul!

Quick reminder, let's keep it respectful here and remember to dial-back the comments about other Simmers - be it those who are happy about the tweets or unhappy. Thank you.
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2018

People will never be happy...

Yup. At this point I just mute/ignore the negative nancies, it's always the same people anyways.

Being one of those people (sometimes) :D I think it is perfectly reasonable people are disappointed over no longer seeing a quarterly teaser. I thought the most of us who did play TS4 liked those? I did. It's really boring compared to TS2 had what was coming up next in the pack you purchased. All sorts of little cards inside the box to tell you what was coming next. That builds excitement, right? And months before we even saw any content about it, those were announced inside the EP or SP boxes. Or on the back of the box....months ahead of time. TS3 had the store, and updates frequently which announced new content almost every day. TS4 rarely told us anything (some must have forgotten) before those quarterly teasers. And if some quarters get no content (there have been very long dry spells in the last four years) EP or GP that is pretty boring. And just speculating with no real content to guess what it is, or how it works etc. is boring in my opinion.

You gotta strike the iron while it's hot, if people get bored without new information, they go buy other games. Or go find something better to do than wait around on new announcements. I'm not saying there should be content every month but even TS2 let players know months ahead of time what was going to be released six months later. ETA: And that tweet from CM Kate, about there would be frequent DLC well, it's July where is it? :)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I agree people who liked the teasers have a right to be upset at this news. After all they are fans and they don’t like being kept in the dark and it does make you wish you were back in the older days when you knew what was coming and the hype was real! I loved getting the leaflet explaining what the next dlc was in the sims 2. Good times.

That said with the sims 4, I’m not bothered about the teasers getting canned although I do feel for those disappointed. I’m pretty indifferent to it. I do agree that if there is long periods with no info people will get bored whilst not knowing what’s coming. People here have said as much.

But then I think that’s a wider problem in general - with the content we get people shouldn’t be getting bored and looking for more content to buy to make their game more interesting. The content should be keeping people satisfied and clearly for some it’s not.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited July 2018
    I really hope the lack of teasers mean more frequent content (whether patched free content or paid SPs, etc).

ETA: And that the EP and GP content are quality enough to make the long waits worthwhile as well.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    The change of setup of the Sims 4 team should lead to tighter control and better consistency and less bugs hopefully and I approve of not wasting valuable programming time on making Teasers if they have a smaller staff. They need to employ more games testers not game changers before they release new content on us as well.

Perhaps also, EA might want to give those less well off time to catch up buying the previous packs or save up for the more expensive Seasons?
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    Did no one notice the fact she highlighted PAID <—- she said might not be paid content sometimes not content in general. I’d also like to remind everyone they did say they wanted to improve a lot of the freatures already in game and think about it if they were to add npcs, caw and other features we’ve had it in the past they might add if as a free update.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Cheekybits wrote: »
    Did no one notice the fact she highlighted PAID <—- she said might not be paid content sometimes not content in general. I’d also like to remind everyone they did say they wanted to improve a lot of the freatures already in game and think about it if they were to add npcs, caw and other features we’ve had it in the past they might add if as a free update.

Free updates have gradually gotten fewer and farther between. I don’t know what people are expecting in regards to free content, but they aren’t going to suddenly start pumping out free stuff to fill in the gaps that were previously occupied by paid content. There are many marketing tricks, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the emphasis which only suggests free content was just that.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    Time will tell I guess. As for me, I’d be perfectly satisfied if I hear absolutely nothing for a couple of months, playing my games (3, 4 now, Animal Crossing), if it means they’ll surprise me with something absolutely worth playing.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

Free updates have gradually gotten fewer and farther between. I don’t know what people are expecting in regards to free content, but they aren’t going to suddenly start pumping out free stuff to fill in the gaps that were previously occupied by paid content. There are many marketing tricks, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the emphasis which only suggests free content was just that.

It could also be that their research show them that releasing free content are greatly boosting the sales of GP/EPs, and that it's a more profitable strategiy that selling SPs in between. There are lots of game publishers releasing free content to create engagment so clearly they are gaining money from that in some way, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Not that I would necessarly prefer it by the way. I'd rather have a Teen SP and a Winter SP, rather than a Witches GP and a patch with firemen for example.
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Graham, lord of SPs, moving to the often critized EP team is a good signal as I see, it show's they're working on the feedback regarding the biggest pack.

Also, maybe there won't be 4 SPs per year anymore? We were getting crowded with them tiny packs, those were resources that could improve another area.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Neia wrote: »

It could also be that their research show them that releasing free content are greatly boosting the sales of GP/EPs, and that it's a more profitable strategiy that selling SPs in between. There are lots of game publishers releasing free content to create engagment so clearly they are gaining money from that in some way, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Not that I would necessarly prefer it by the way. I'd rather have a Teen SP and a Winter SP, rather than a Witches GP and a patch with firemen for example.

Could be, but on that same note why is this not something that was obvious to them prior to free content becoming less common? I mean we are a few months from reaching 4 years, if they were researching the effects engagement content has on DLC then they have more useful data from earlier than recently. C&D didn’t have any free content released along side, Seasons had some but nothing major.

Personally I think they have underutilized the live service. The free content is more often than not forgettable, and forgettable content isn’t what drives player engagement. That isn’t saying I think that will change, because I don’t believe it will. They are very inconsistent with the free content they make for the game, there doesn’t seem to be much direction - at least in my opinion.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Watch the people that agree with Kate saying they like surprises will be the same one who will complain about content taking to long and talking about the drought.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    Watch the people that agree with Kate saying they like surprises will be the same one who will complain about content taking to long and talking about the drought.

Nope.
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited July 2018
    I just rewatched an old livestream by The Sims 3 team. They (mostly Ryan) were announcing one SP and three (!!!) EPs in one livestream (70s, 80s, 90s; University; Island Paradise and Into the future).

And now? They can't even give us the plan for the next three months? I don't need a release date when they announce stuff! They could just release a picture (as done with IP) or short film and tell us what they are currently working on. After X weeks of talking about more features that are in development regarding the specific pack I'd be fine with (Twitter) statements like "Thanks to the player's feedback we have implemented feature A and B into the game and kicked feature C out. Thank you so much! The EP/GP/SP will probably release in about (insert number) months."
    If I understood @SimGuruGraham correctly that's the way he prefers to work. He loves the input/critique of the community to make the game better, hence the community stuff pack.
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @Erja888 That happened because Sims 4 had been announced, so they let people know what content remained for Sims 3. It wasn't a norm for Sims 3.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Neia wrote: »

Could be, but on that same note why is this not something that was obvious to them prior to free content becoming less common? I mean we are a few months from reaching 4 years, if they were researching the effects engagement content has on DLC then they have more useful data from earlier than recently. C&D didn’t have any free content released along side, Seasons had some but nothing major.

Personally I think they have underutilized the live service. The free content is more often than not forgettable, and forgettable content isn’t what drives player engagement. That isn’t saying I think that will change, because I don’t believe it will. They are very inconsistent with the free content they make for the game, there doesn’t seem to be much direction - at least in my opinion.

Lots of parameters have changed in these 4 years : the playerbase is bigger, the number of packs to choose from is bigger, the most requested and most challenging technically packs are out (Pets/Seasons).

Free content have been hit and miss for me, some I love (toddlers), some I couldn't care less (NPCs). But that's probably because they were often adding content that people thought were missing from the base game, and that I personally didn't miss. There's still some left (burglars, repoman, fireman, terrain tools, etc) so I'm not expecting too much from the patches.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited July 2018
    Maybe they are planning on working on the sims themselves, to make them better. I heard someone say they were asking which age group people would like to be worked on.. maybe they are going to untie babies from cribs, make teenagers more like teens, make it where children can play games with each other. Work on a chemistry system.... create a color wheel for new furniture and clothes...I would love to see some improvements like these.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Options
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    Maybe they are planning on working on the sims themselves, to make them better. I heard someone say they were asking which age group people would like to be worked on.. maybe they are going to untie babies from cribs, make teenagers more like teens, make it where children can play games with each other. Work on a chemistry system.... create a color wheel for new furniture and clothes...I would love to see some improvements like these.

That says a lot about the overall game if people think each age group needs to be improved. It's too bad they didn't put as much time into each age group like they did with toddlers. But four years later they are now asking which ones need improved? Four years....

I'd say they should overhaul the whole emotions and trait system. That sort of deeper look at those problems would improve this game to be more inline with deep meaning and uniqueness to each Sim's personality.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

That says a lot about the overall game if people think each age group needs to be improved. It's too bad they didn't put as much time into each age group like they did with toddlers. But four years later they are now asking which ones need improved? Four years....

I'd say they should overhaul the whole emotions and trait system. That sort of deeper look at those problems would improve this game to be more inline with deep meaning and uniqueness to each Sim's personality.
    Now that they have figured out the engine better, maybe the will do that!
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2018

Your post is the best case scenario and my hope for the future of TS4. I would love it if time were taken to patch in some of the things that have been left out of the game, up to now. That is, all of those things which made the game feel more alive:

- Like/dislikes.
    - Fears and failure states.
    - More individualized whims, based on traits and aspirations or any combinations of those things.
    - Favorite foods, drinks, and colors that are player-determined. Since this game seems to recognize color in a way that previous games did not, favorite colors could truly add a new dimension to decorating and attraction of the Sims to other Sims and locations.
    - More romantic interactions that aren't robotic, sterile, and completely unnatural-looking.
    - Relaxing, reading, speaking on the phone, watching television, cuddling, kissing, and spooning in bed.
    - Different ways of sitting on chairs, such as crossed legs, Indian-style, etc. TS4 Sims are really stiff-looking when they sit, I had hoped that this would be better by now.
    - Playing with children, toddlers (and babies!) on the bed. (Think: Sunday morning family time when the kids come bounding onto the bed.)
    - Sitting on the floor to watch television, play video games, speak on the phone.
    - More NPC such as patrolling policemen, firefighters, EMTs, and burglars.
    - Interesting "flavor" type NPCs. Except, not in the big, amusement park costumes, please. I really don't understand this game's preoccupation with OTT costumes.
    - Lounge chairs
    - Bunk beds
    - Unchaining infants from the bassinet. Please, it's time.
    - Deeper snow.

Patching in any of the above would make me quite pleased.

I would also be over the moon if more time were spent fixing the things that arrived broken or became broken over time. After the release of Seasons, bug stomping should be a bigger priority than ever. Arguably, it should be the biggest priority.

My particular worry is that, in lieu of "paid" content, the team will start treating the PC/Mac game like a mobile game. That is, by spending more time creating contests and timed features like the Jasmine Holiday quests and skill-building bonanzas.

I know that there are some people who really love those events and that's fine. However, I wouldn't like to see an increase in those kinds of events. The reason being: the beauty of the Sims series is that it's single-player experience. Things should progress according to the pace and desire of the player, not the developers. As such, I would hope that all content would become available to all players, whether or not they cared to participate in a timed event/contest.

Anyway, that is my hope for the direction that the team is going now. However, whatever they end up doing, I hope that they will keep the community informed. As they've already seen, long periods of silence do not promote positive feelings or good will.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Cinebar wrote: »

Now that they have figured out the engine better, maybe the will do that!

They built the engine, or did the engineers leave? They should know what it could do or not do at the beginning. Rememeber Ryan said they had built an engine that could make all our dreams come true.

Looking back on the actual forum announcement CM Kate says they have 'heard us' where did we hear that before?..oh, yeah, when they said our Sims would have deeper emotions and personalities when they announced TS4. And when they said they had heard us about toddlers..which took about three more years. :o

But she did say they had heard us and going to make the content we wanted. That's great! That means we get burglars, firemen, Cars, Swimable oceans, Open world, CASt, Horses, Witches, mermaids, Werewolves, Vacations and Running a Hotel, A big Farming EP, Ranches, Terrain Tools, More roof options, Separate Foundations, Color Wheels, Surfing, Memory System, Increase of Population limits, University, Schools, Loads of Aspirations, new Whims, New Emotions, New Traits! o:) Wow, That's a big promise. :p

Proof: Quote: ' Ultimately this is a signal that we’ve heard your feedback, and we’re tweaking our plans to deliver the content you’ve been asking for.' End quote.
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Look, I don’t really care what they do as long as I don’t have to go a long time with no news and as long as there is a pretty regular flow of interesting content. Even though I’m not bored with Seasons yet and I’ve been playing a TON since it came out, I really want my game to keep improving and expanding. That’s all